[Comic] 29/09/08 (Project Future Pg. 32 remixed)

Started by Tapewolf, March 01, 2008, 01:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zedd

Tapewolf

Quote from: WhiteFox on April 12, 2008, 06:15:05 AM
I like the writing, it's an easy read and flows well. I like Gaulen's grasp on anatomy too, though the poses could stand to be a little more fluid.
Yes... it was the anatomy in his earlier pictures that prompted me to ask him about it.

QuoteSpeaking as someone with first hand experience with harsh arctic climates, I am amazed he is walking around without head gear or gloves of any sort, let alone walking around bleeding.
He's got gloves, as for headgear he's got goggles but that's about it.  On the other hand, he is supposed to be a Siberian husky.

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 01, 2008, 01:38:57 PM
The big stumbling block for illustrating it was of course my own artistic incompetence when it comes to drawing people.
*Bap*
I have to change my sig now.
Oh, I'm quite good at sprites.  I can do still life reasonably, and I can reconstruct things from existing artists' work.  In fact, someday I'll have to publish Ren's original lineart because sometimes I've mucked about with them quite a lot.  The VAX is mine and in frame 3 of this strip I completely redrew Josh's muzzle because it looked too flat in the original.
But as I found out when I tried to sketch a basic storyboard, I simply can't get beyond this level:  http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/stuff/jakob_sketch.gif

...which is not what I had in mind for the comic.

Quote from: Zedd on April 12, 2008, 06:16:45 AM
Stand back drymouth! Its superfridge!

Oh yeah, that reminds me, I've got to finish the other spoof strip

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: WhiteFox on April 12, 2008, 06:15:05 AM
I like the writing, it's an easy read and flows well. I like Gaulen's grasp on anatomy too, though the poses could stand to be a little more fluid.

Thank you. I am still but a learner; my skills will improve over time.

Quote from: Zedd on April 12, 2008, 06:16:45 AM
Stand back drymouth! Its superfridge!

Something tells me Josh is not too thrilled about being a fridge. :3
*Joshua* "It feels like I'm dying inside!"
Call it a hunch.

Tapewolf

WhiteFox

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 12, 2008, 06:49:51 AM
But as I found out when I tried to sketch a basic storyboard, I simply can't get beyond this level:  http://www.jpmorris.force9.co.uk/stuff/jakob_sketch.gif

*Bap*
*Changes sig, AGAIN.*
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Pagan

Nice page. I very much liked Joshua's expression in the first panel. However, I found more enjoyment in the two supplemental drawings. Are you going to add those types as extras on the site in the future?

So, that is a can or something in his chest?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Zedd

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on April 12, 2008, 08:56:15 PM
Nice page. I very much liked Joshua's expression in the first panel. However, I found more enjoyment in the two supplemental drawings. Are you going to add those types as extras on the site in the future?

When chapter 2 starts, I'll put together an archive page, split by chapter.  I'll add a section to contain the other oddities.

QuoteSo, that is a can or something in his chest?
Yes.

Jack McSlay

I found it weird. He says only his skin now can feel touch, but that's how it normally works  :erk
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jack McSlay on April 13, 2008, 03:03:38 PM
I found it weird. He says only his skin now can feel touch, but that's how it normally works  :erk
I revised the wording slightly to try and make that clearer - evidently I did not succeed.  Normally hairs have their roots in the skin, which means if they touch anything the movement is picked up by the roots - for example if something brushes your hair, you'll feel it, even though the hair itself is basically dead.  Another example is the sensitive whiskers on a cat or dog.

Joshua doesn't so much have fur on his arms now as fun-fur, which is basically just a covering over his skin (which is fully touch-sensitive).  That is what Kris is trying to say.

Ryan_Galen

Nice thing about this comic is that we get to see Josh as a main character again. It's a temporary role at best, since he's only acting as a decoy for the real protagonist, but it's still nice.

Oh, and please. Go ahead and get the husky some pants. Considering Jakob's standards of decency, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryan_Galen on April 13, 2008, 09:27:01 PM
Oh, and please. Go ahead and get the husky some pants. Considering Jakob's standards of decency, I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.
True, but then again, in real terms he's only been awake for about 5 minutes or so.

Gabi

~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Ren Gaulen

Poor Joshua. I can be a bit of a jerk at times. And it does not look like I am going to leave him alone any time soon. >:3 One can only wonder what would happen to Josh next time...

Turnsky

one crit i have, your artist needs to learn some inking skills, it looks like it was sketched with a ballpoint =p

http://www.methart.com/tutorials/digi-ink.html

one example, more if you google "inking tutorials"

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on April 17, 2008, 01:21:48 AM
one crit i have, your artist needs to learn some inking skills, it looks like it was sketched with a ballpoint =p

I kind of like the ragged edges, actually  :3
Yes, it can be a pain when trying to integrate the backdrops, but I find it adds a sort of harsh, stark edge to it.  I guess it reminds me a bit of Ralph Steadman's illustrations from Fear and Loathing.

Tapewolf

Ren was very busy and delivered the lineart a few days behind schedule, so I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make the de-facto schedule of Friday evening GMT.  Fortunately, I did.  Go check it out.

Ryudo Lee

It seems kinda odd to me that he doesn't appear all that phased by the whole "your lifespan has been reduced to 5-10 years" thing.  Is he going to fully realize it and then have a panic attack about that later on?  I know that if it were me I'd have my hands around his throat and yelling "Fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it!"

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on April 18, 2008, 04:52:08 PM
It seems kinda odd to me that he doesn't appear all that phased by the whole "your lifespan has been reduced to 5-10 years" thing.  Is he going to fully realize it and then have a panic attack about that later on?  I know that if it were me I'd have my hands around his throat and yelling "Fix it fix it fix it fix it fix it!"

Yeah, the expression in pane 7 doesn't quite tally with what he's been told.  The basic concept is that the doctor is going to have the new body ready by the time he needs it.  Suggestions for rewording it would be handy.

Ryudo Lee

IMHO, I just think that "WTF do you mean shorter lifespan!?" would be a higher priority than "can I have that new body now?"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on April 18, 2008, 05:00:06 PM
IMHO, I just think that "WTF do you mean shorter lifespan!?" would be a higher priority than "can I have that new body now?"

I've updated the text - the doctor is now a bit more evasive about how long he's going to live.  Again, "How much shorter?" is something he should be asking right away, but that dialogue was cut from the storyboard to make it fit unfortunately.

Ryudo Lee

That is better, and perhaps it can come up in a future conversation.  I know that'd be on the top of my list of things to ask about.

Tapewolf

The new strip is up, kicking off chapter 2.  It should help answer Sofox' question "Why does it say 'DMFA-inspired'?".
I've also got the archives up too - let me know if there are any bad links.  I'll work to make it prettier later on.

Ryudo Lee

He took the angel thing rather well.  I assume wings and angels are a common occurrence in this world?

And, is the warp aci carrying... frying pan-chucks?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on April 25, 2008, 03:16:36 PM
He took the angel thing rather well.  I assume wings and angels are a common occurrence in this world?
The real reason is that there are other things which he's more afraid of.  It's more a case that he's nervously agreeing to keep Kristofer happy until he knows more about what's going on.

QuoteAnd, is the warp aci carrying... frying pan-chucks?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'chucks' but yes, those are frying-pans.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 25, 2008, 03:35:22 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'chucks' but yes, those are frying-pans.
Ryudo must be talking about nunchaku. I have just realised that this contraption looks very much like those. :3

Ryudo Lee

I guess you don't read 8-bit theater... you know... sword chucks?

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Ryudo Lee on April 25, 2008, 05:25:26 PM
I guess you don't read 8-bit theater... you know... sword chucks?
No, no, I have read that. I just did not get the reference at first. I like sword-maces better, anyway. >:3

Ryan_Galen

...you know, considering he's a robot in a prototype body, I'm surprised they gave Joshua a package at all. Oh well, not going to pry on that topic is only because of the rating of the forum in general.

I do really like the facial expressions in the comic, though. Amazing how much detail you can get from Jakob's eyes in every single panel.

GabrielsThoughts

obviously I've lived in the  Las Vegas area too long if I find the "Oh my god what the hell is that" response for something as silly as a glowing unearthly entity floating in space over dramatic.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.