[Art] Cheerleader Ziggy

Started by Ren Gaulen, February 10, 2008, 08:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

It's a nice enough picture, but to be frank, I'm not quite sure why it's being hyped up as much as it is.  I'm guessing it's a reference to something I've never heard of?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 30, 2008, 11:12:09 AM
It's a nice enough picture, but to be frank, I'm not quite sure why it's being hyped up as much as it is.  I'm guessing it's a reference to something I've never heard of?

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, one of the most awesome things to ever exist. This is a universe where the giant robots are literally powered by hot-blood and awesome. Many consider it to be the cure to Neon Genesis Evangelion Syndrome, aka Whining, Angst, and Wangst. It also has the honor of having what is probably the biggest giant robot to ever exist.

Here's an example. And here's another example: warning, death-related spoilers. And yet a third: more spoilers. And here's an AMV that's pretty close to how awesome Kamina is. Hope this helps.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

llearch n'n'daCorna

... they have no idea of the concept of collateral damage, do they?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jairus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 30, 2008, 12:34:34 PM
... they have no idea of the concept of collateral damage, do they?
The power of hot-blood and awesome protects the innocent from harm!

Considering the scale that their battles get to, offhand I'd say no. ;)

Janus Whitefurr

Don't get me wrong, TTGL is a great show, but it's the sort of overhype that Jai gave up there that made me initially quite contemptuous of the show (as the saying goes, I Got Better). Why aren't people content with just saying it's awesome and/or entertaining? :P
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Jairus

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on September 30, 2008, 08:43:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, TTGL is a great show, but it's the sort of overhype that Jai gave up there that made me initially quite contemptuous of the show (as the saying goes, I Got Better). Why aren't people content with just saying it's awesome and/or entertaining? :P
Okay, I admit that was a little over the top (in theme, but a little over the top). I was also reacting to the image, and those are exactly the words that entered my mind when I first saw it. That, and the fact that Jyrras looks terrifyingly badass is awesome in and of itself. Now, if I was overhyping it, I'd say that TTGL is the greatest thing since the big bang and pwns all other things in existence and if you don't agree with me you are the anti-spirals and must be defeated...

And it is both awesome and entertaining. So, sorry if I felt a little overhyped, but the picture did hype me up.

Ren Gaulen

As I promised, I am posting a picture of Jyrras as Simon from "Gurren-Lagann". I tried to merge Jy-Jy's and Simon's names, but couldn't decide which variant I liked better, so I used both and called him Jymon Sirras (though now that I think of it, this name sounds fitting to some mercenary or bounty hunter..).
Next time, expect Daniel Kamina! >:D

Jairus

I like both the drawing and the names. His hair looks a lot more logical to the setting, and he looks more... shall we say "innocent..." when compared to the Gryphon-Lagann picture. Definitely a precursor to that image. Can't wait to see Daniel Kamina.

Um... this isn't good or bad, but the outfit under his jacket kinda sorta reminds me of CC's bondage gear from the early episodes of Code Geass.

Damn. I want that coat, and I want Jyrras Highwind's outfit. Is that weird? Oh, who am I kidding, yes it is.

King Of Hearts

Admittedly, I was hoping more the young Simon's outfit with Jy's... miniature stature.

still cool tho'

now have Abel as Nia.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: King Of Hearts on September 30, 2008, 10:39:02 PM
Admittedly, I was hoping more the young Simon's outfit with Jy's... miniature stature.
I'll draw "young Jymon" later. After I draw Dan Kamina (yep, Kamina is now a last name :B).

Quote from: King Of Hearts on September 30, 2008, 10:39:02 PM
now have Abel as Nia.
I'm sorry, KoH. I'm afraid I can't do that. Abel is already nominated to the different role.

Lysander

TytajLucheek

GabrielsThoughts

looking sharp... why couldn't it have been jyrras doing cosplay, we have no evidence to support that the DMFA universe has no Anime, In fact the existence of the  fae race implies that they can get swag from all over the multi verse
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Ren Gaulen

Just as I promised, Daniel Kamina! I tried to make a mix of Dan's and Kamina's hairstyles, and I also tried to replicate Kamina's tattoos. However, I lost Kamina's shades somewhere along the way.. :.
Next time, Virabel!

Jairus

*eye twitches*
You lost the shades?

You lost the shades?

YOU LOST THE SHADES!?!?!!?

Naughty Ren.

I like it... though no shades? Okay, seriously, I like it, but I also kind of miss his longcoat. I guess we'll see that in a later picture. Can't wait to see Virabel.

King Of Hearts

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on October 01, 2008, 07:40:14 AM

I'm sorry, KoH. I'm afraid I can't do that. Abel is already nominated to the different role.

*crosses fingers for Cyttomander... or Adianne... *

Jairus

Quote from: King Of Hearts on October 01, 2008, 09:37:39 PM

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on October 01, 2008, 08:42:10 PM
Next time, Virabel!

Sorry, KoH. Abel is Viral. And the central pairing in Tengen Toppa Furry Lagann is Jymon Sirras and Virabel.

Unless you're talking about something else...

ShadesFox

Quote from: Jairus on October 01, 2008, 08:50:54 PM
*eye twitches*
You lost the shades?

You lost the shades?

Huh? *holding something behind his back.*
The All Purpose Fox

Jack McSlay

mmm genome pegasus...

and it would be hilarious if we had Leerabel
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Jack McSlay on October 01, 2008, 11:00:18 PM
mmm genome pegasus...

and it would be hilarious if we had Leerabel
Yep. Pegasus will be Genome. As for Abel, though, he is already confirmed for Viral's role.

Quote from: King Of Hearts on October 01, 2008, 09:37:39 PM

Cyttomander will be Albanion, and Adiane will be Kria. Also, Biggs as Guame. :> The last general, Thylmilth, will probably be Berserk Aliyka.

Quote from: ShadesFox on October 01, 2008, 10:41:16 PM
Quote from: Jairus on October 01, 2008, 08:50:54 PM
*eye twitches*
You lost the shades?

You lost the shades?

Huh? *holding something behind his back.*
*puts on an Ordinator helmet* We're watching you..

Tapewolf

He's definitely recognisable as Dan, though I can't speak for the other guy.

Now, as for critique, I can see a lot of things which could be improved in the shading, and to be honest, the lighting in general.
Firstly, I think you may be following the edge of the image a bit too much rather than the actual contour of the body (that I'm hopeless at doing that is why I rarely shade figures).
The shadow cast on his feet is nice, but the fact that his whole body is casting a shadow makes it look a little strange.  IMHO, it might look better if the shadow he was casting went the other way, though you'd have to remove the sun.  The shadow should also bloom outwards to follow his trousers (I'm not great at doing that myself).
As for the sun, that's the Supernova effect, is it not?  Try setting the number of spokes to 0 or 1, and tinting it yellow.  That will give you a ball like the plasma effect in the Project Future communicator.

Jack McSlay

let me try a few more guesses

Kittan - Merlitz
Yoko - Lorenda
Attenborough - Wildy
Reite - Matilda
Boota - Fluffy
Nia - Mab
Kiyoh - Fa'lina
Kinon - Alexsi
Kiyal - Regina
Darry - Photophie
Gimmy - Spotted basement rat
Rossiu - Azlan
Dayakka - Pyroduck
Anti-spiral - Dr. Ink

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Jack McSlay on October 02, 2008, 06:30:42 AM
let me try a few more guesses

Kittan - Merlitz
Yoko - Lorenda
Attenborough - Wildy
Reite - Matilda
Boota - Fluffy
Nia - Mab
Kiyoh - Fa'lina
Kinon - Alexsi
Kiyal - Regina
Darry - Photophie
Gimmy - Spotted basement rat
Rossiu - Azlan
Dayakka - Pyroduck
Anti-spiral - Dr. Ink
Some weird guesses there.. Kittan, Rossiu and Dayakka you got right. But Lorenda as Yoko? No, thank you.. :erk Yoko will be Alexi. Kittan's sisters will be Shanna, Anna and Hannah. Boota will naturally be Deebs. As for the Anti-Spiral, Ink is a good choice, but I thought about Mab the Anti-Spiral.. Oh, what the heck Mab would make an excellent Nia! :3 Wildy as Attenborough is not a bad choice either. However, I still seem to lack Leeron. As for the rest of the cast, I have not decided yet.

Jairus

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on October 02, 2008, 11:26:59 AM
Some weird guesses there.. Kittan, Rossiu and Dayakka you got right. But Lorenda as Yoko? No, thank you.. :erk Yoko will be Alexi. Kittan's sisters will be Shanna, Anna and Hannah. Boota will naturally be Deebs. As for the Anti-Spiral, Ink is a good choice, but I thought about Mab the Anti-Spiral.. Oh, what the heck Mab would make an excellent Nia! :3 Wildy as Attenborough is not a bad choice either. However, I still seem to lack Leeron. As for the rest of the cast, I have not decided yet.
Cool cast list... hey, how about Merlitz as Leeron for the irony angle? He was mistaken for gay that one time in the dance club.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Jairus on October 02, 2008, 11:28:20 AM
Cool cast list... hey, how about Merlitz as Leeron for the irony angle? He was mistaken for gay that one time in the dance club.
Nah.. Merl is too good as Kittan.

techmaster-glitch

Tapewolf

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 02, 2008, 02:41:16 PM
Quote from: Ren Gaulen on October 02, 2008, 05:01:15 AM
We're watching you...SCUM.
To which I can only say:
*image*
'Oo are you callin' scum?
..And that is exactly why I didn't finish that sentence. :P

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on October 02, 2008, 03:06:41 PM
..And that is exactly why I didn't finish that sentence. :P
As I rule I would let the Ordinators live if they didn't call me scum.  This would sometimes make leaving Vivec difficult though, as if more then two of them said it in quick succession, I'd end up with more loot than I could carry and I'd almost certainly run into another one while I was fencing the stuff off.

Jack McSlay

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Jack McSlay on October 02, 2008, 06:47:52 PM
Maybe Devin as Leeron?
Maybe.. That would also mean that Devin gets to live this time! :>