Dumb Question

Started by Destina Faroda, May 20, 2006, 06:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destina Faroda

Do all of you save your images in the same folder, or do you categorize them?
Sig coming...whenever...

ilpalazzo

I categorize
e.g. sprites, wallpaper, picture etc.

Fizzbit

Darkmoon

I don't downloads a lot of pictures.

Achirio

I categorize them, when it ask to save i choose the folder.

Destina Faroda

That's where I'm different.  For years, I had minimal categorization at best.  After all, I was only  going to save what I really liked and most of the files I could find either by remembering the file name or by browsing the images.  Recently, though, I've forgotten where I've put fiiles, though, so I've had to categorize so I don't forget what it was that I was going.  Unfortunately, that took literally all night last night.

I have so many "works" in progress I should give you some to do to help me out.
Sig coming...whenever...

Sin Ominous

Rarely I categorize in my hodgepodge of a folder I have on my desktop called "Random Shit". And not just pictures, but clips and documents, too.

All riskier versions of those go in my Sort Later folder on the same desktop.

And that's it, really.

Destina Faroda

I used to do that intially, but the problem became when I wanted to find my files, it became hard to know what was what, so on the old computer I divided the midis from the images and put everything else into a folder called "Stupid Stuff."

This became worse now that I've been on cable.  I now have over 1,000 sprite/background files (and yet no complete sprite sheets or sets I might add), although I'll admit some are probably duplicates.  This does not count my Ogre Battle sprites.  This is in addition to the assorted art that I downloaded.
Sig coming...whenever...

Damaris

I haven't gotten around to organizing since I got my new computer (or transferring over the files, for that matter) but I am a huge fan of folders, sub-folders, and sub-sub-folders.

Darkmoon doesn't bother trying to find something on my computer.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Achirio

theres nothing like a well organized folder, isnt it? :B

Darkmoon

Dam's and I ideas of organizing are vastly different. I use folders and sub folders, et all, but it in a way that she just doesn't get. Similarly, I can't ever find shit on her computer. Ever.

For the record, I'm very anal about my computer. I'm actually peeved if there's more than 6 icons on my desktop.

Destina Faroda

Oh man, my desktop would be a nightmare to you.

This isn't even the whole thing!
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

Quote from: Destina Faroda on May 24, 2006, 06:29:51 PM
Oh man, my desktop would be a nightmare to you.

This isn't even the whole thing!

Picture doesn't work. 403 error.

ilpalazzo

Achirio

You know whats funny? I'm very anal about my organization in my computer too, and yet my room is falling appart....

DragonCub

I'm very anal about organization, whether it be my home or my computer. Everything is in alphabetical/chronological order. And I don't like icons on my desktop, I like wallpapers. I have several sub folders arranged in two folders that I use the most.

Destina Faroda

How do you access the programs you need quickly if the icons aren't on the desktop?
Sig coming...whenever...

Fizzbit

Some people like the convenience of having everything right there, others need more organization. I'd say my desktop could certainly be cleaner, but I only keep the icons I use regularly on my desktop.

Achirio

Quote from: Destina Faroda on May 25, 2006, 06:03:13 PM
How do you access the programs you need quickly if the icons aren't on the desktop?
Start ---> all programs
Thats how i get them, i rarely keep icons on my desktop.

Darkmoon

I use the quick Launch for the 10 programs I use most often. Everything else goes into the start menu. Start menu also has shortcuts to some folders I use frequently.

DragonCub

Quote from: Destina Faroda on May 25, 2006, 06:03:13 PM

Windows XP, Start Menu, there are 6 quick launch programs, those are the ones I use the most.

Destina Faroda

Programs I use regularly...

IE (for Hotmail and testing my site)
Netscape
Firefox
Paint
Irfanview
GIMP
Notepad*
Word
AIM (or at least used to)
SmartFTP v 2.0
CuteHTML
Ulead DVD Factory (for MPEG editing only)
Creative WaveStudio*
Sound Recorder*
Winamp
WinTV

There are other programs and folders I like having quick access to, thus why they are on my desktop.  And there are some that I am too lazy to delete.

*Not on my desktop, but used frequently anyway
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

In my quick launch:
Desktop
Firefox
Thunderbird (which I may remove soon since I never use it)
Photoshop
Illustrator
Filezilla

Inside the quick launch popup window:
Winamp
IE
AIM
YIM
IRC

At the top of my start menu (above programs and everything else):
ICVD Folder shortcut
CVRPG folder shortcut

(and the illustrate: http://www.inverteddungeon.com/Sig/desktop.jpg)

ilpalazzo

What version of windows are you using?

Darkmoon

XP. I just have it set to look like the older versions. I hate that overly atrsty shit MS dos.

Destina Faroda

Agreed here.  I literally could not vavigate my way through XP at first until I had it restored to the classic look.  I still hate how they fuddled with Windows Explorer to the point where I use Smart FTP to browse my own system.
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

Heh, wow... that's sad actually.

I got used to using Windows Explorer, so long as I turned off the "View as Webpage." I hate that shit.

Destina Faroda

The thing is mine sometimes does this weird thing where the left window is blocked and says that it's trying to protect me from potentially hamful content.
Sig coming...whenever...

ilpalazzo

Quote from: Destina Faroda on May 28, 2006, 10:15:04 PM
The thing is mine sometimes does this weird thing where the left window is blocked and says that it's trying to protect me from potentially hamful content.

Once ham gets in your arteries your screwed, you should be thankful.

Darkmoon

Heh, that's bizzare.