DMFA Text Search

Started by AndersW, November 08, 2007, 09:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersW

My Dad and I put together a search of all of the text in DMFA.

The search site is http://www.littlelevers.com/dmfa/dmfasearch.php

What do you all think of it?

AnizInDisguise

Faerie Alex

Neat. The formatting seems a bit rough yet, but the core seems to work rather well.

One thing that might be of issue: In regards to this strip, when I searched "lazy bug" it didn't turn up anything, however "bug" and "lazy-bug" both found it. Just thinking it might be nice to make sure that the punctuation isn't affecting the search, or else it would be a bit harder to use.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Naldru

Quote from: modelincard on November 08, 2007, 09:51:29 PM
Neat. The formatting seems a bit rough yet, but the core seems to work rather well.

One thing that might be of issue: In regards to this strip, when I searched "lazy bug" it didn't turn up anything, however "bug" and "lazy-bug" both found it. Just thinking it might be nice to make sure that the punctuation isn't affecting the search, or else it would be a bit harder to use.
That's where regular expressions come in handy.  If you enter the item
lazy[ -]bug
and click on the box for regular expressions, it will find both "lazy-bug" and "lazy bug"

Entering
lazy.bug will find the words "lazy" and "bug" with any single character between them.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Sienna Maiu - M T

This is quite cool. I especially enjoy your choice of set-up.

I wonder about one thing though... when it says "Use regular expressions", what exactly does it mean?

So, from now on, my searches will be so much easier... *glee*

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on November 08, 2007, 11:46:32 PM
This is quite cool. I especially enjoy your choice of set-up.

I wonder about one thing though... when it says "Use regular expressions", what exactly does it mean?

So, from now on, my searches will be so much easier... *glee*
http://www.regular-expressions.info

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: AndersW on November 08, 2007, 09:20:50 PM

Where'd you get the data from? Manually fill them all in yourself or something?

Particularly character names, since the radio scripts could use any that they might be missing...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AndersW

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 09, 2007, 05:23:21 AM
Quote from: AndersW on November 08, 2007, 09:20:50 PM

Where'd you get the data from? Manually fill them all in yourself or something?

Particularly character names, since the radio scripts could use any that they might be missing...

We used the radio scripts for the text.  We changed the formating a bit, like adding full names, and when they are turned into something else.

for fun try putting "as" into the character box to find all the people that spoke in another form.

Sid

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on November 09, 2007, 12:50:19 AM
http://www.regular-expressions.info

Here's a helpful disclaimer when getting started with regular expressions:
QuoteSome people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems. —Jamie Zawinski, in comp.lang.emacs

:P

On-topic: Nifty, could come in handy!
:boogie

llearch n'n'daCorna

ah. You know they update, on an irregular basis (ie, when I get time) ?

AndersW

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 09, 2007, 09:42:17 AM
ah. You know they update, on an irregular basis (ie, when I get time) ?

Ya, that is the only problem.

Well, not the only problem, but one of the few.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Well, we -could- come to some arrangement about hosting it on my end... ;-]

AndersW

We can keep it updated now that we have all the text.

Darkmoon

Has anyone asked Mab if she's okay with this?
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Good point. I know I've got semi-approval for the radio scripts...

Ah, Anders - the idea I had was rolling this functionality back into the radio script page, where it'd get the most use. Which may mean me changing the scripts, which I can live with. Just depends on how your code managed it...

However, as D says, we should probably check with the copyright holder - although she -has- said she doesn't have any objections to people -using- her work as long as they don't make a profit, it's polite to check. ;-]

RobbieThe1st

Well, AndersW, this is quite good. A while ago I had been thinking of doing the same thing, however, I am sure I wouldn't have been able to do it nearly as well. This is quite useful.
:3

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Aurawyn

Nifty. If you added info to it on what "Use regular expressions" means it would be great.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Aurawyn on November 11, 2007, 11:04:19 AM
Nifty. If you added info to it on what "Use regular expressions" means it would be great.

"If you are a geek, you can select this box to show how truly amazing a geek you are" ;-]

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 11, 2007, 12:58:15 PM
Quote from: Aurawyn on November 11, 2007, 11:04:19 AM

"If you are a geek, you can select this box to show how truly amazing a geek you are" ;-]

I'm not a geek :<
But I'm not dumb (or at least not particularly so) either. I guess that makes me.... AVERAGE!!! :U :U :U

Or perhaps better, I should certainly hope so.  To be on the safe side, we'll view this as a mathematical average between genius and idiot, rather than the country's average.
:3

(On the other hand, what does me posting this say?)

xHaZxMaTx

At least the Canadian average is better than the U.S. average (I'm sure). :B

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 11, 2007, 09:15:21 PM
At least the Canadian average is better than the U.S. average (I'm sure). :B
That's probably true.

Sienna Maiu - M T

That reminds me of back when I was a kid in grade three, we had this little thing going around "Are you a Dumb Canadian or a Smart American", nobody knew which to pick! (no offence meant people) So I think it was supposed to be one of those succession of questions things that was always going around, but nobody ever found out, because nobody wanted to answer the (first?) question.
So there's your media at work. Or perhaps even just patriotic values, instilled by who knows what.

AndersW

Part of this thread is an attempt to see what people think of it, and to get more ideas.  Another part is to try and see what Amber thinks of it.

We will also be going through and marking comics as canon and non-canon.  Most of the "What makes a comic great" arc will be marked non-cannon, as well as strips like this one.

One thing I would like to ask is what you think the Janus Bond story arc should be classified as?  Is it canon, non-canon, or some category all its own.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Option three, I think. :-/

BTW, you've be better advised asking Amber directly. She doesn't respond to threads all that much.

Darkmoon

She doesn't actually read this forum all that much.

llearch n'n'daCorna

That would explain the lack of response. ;-]

CameronCN

Quote from: AndersW on November 12, 2007, 09:01:56 AMOne thing I would like to ask is what you think the Janus Bond story arc should be classified as?  Is it canon, non-canon, or some category all its own.

Well, it's obviously canon in that it's what Wildy actually wrote in her book. None of it really happened except in her head, of course. :U

Sienna Maiu - M T

Yes, I would say canon/all it's own.

Quote from: Darkmoon on November 12, 2007, 12:35:35 PM
She doesn't actually read this forum all that much.
It's hard though to take anything you say for face value though :<

However, it would make sense, in that she wouldn't want to get too involved in the theories and speculations of her fans, and besides that, I would imagine that Miss Amber's time is far too valuable to be reading on average three pages of comment for every update.

Darkmoon

xHaZxMaTx