Zedd

Kasarn

Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Yes :mwaha

:P

Naldru

How about the quote from Mae West:

"When I'm good, I'm very, very good.  When I'm bad, I'm better"
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

WhiteFire

Evil is kinda a subjective thing, however, this might help you:

If you consider the use of children in classes devoted to torture and rape and consuming their souls when done with them to be evil, then yes. Dan's mom is evil.

Otherwise, she isn't.

I hope this helps.

llearch n'n'daCorna

It depends on if you mean "is" or "was"

"was" - very definitely, when she was at SAIA. And then she wasn't, while she was bringing Dan up.
"is" - jury is still out, it depends on what she's up to with Biggs.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Chaos

Come now. If you really look at Dan, in the hardest moments that have come upon him, he like his father have been stone cold and willing to hurt. Destania feeds off of pain suffering and other some such. Not only that, given that pre-disposision for his own feedings, the only reason that Dan is Good, par se, is that he is still suffering culture shock.

I bet you he'll find it more and more difficult to be good after Jyrras dies of old age, and then his kid and then...

:mwaha

EDIT: Spelling

Valynth

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 27, 2007, 08:44:04 AM
It depends on if you mean "is" or "was"

"was" - very definitely, when she was at SAIA. And then she wasn't, while she was bringing Dan up.
"is" - jury is still out, it depends on what she's up to with Biggs.

The whole Biggs things sounds more like self-defense since she's trying to destroy the dragons who have Dan's dad.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Valynth on September 27, 2007, 02:37:33 PM
The whole Biggs things sounds more like self-defense since she's trying to destroy the dragons who have Dan's dad.
I got the impression from the conversations between Destania and Biggs, and Fa'lina and Pyroduck, that the dragon feud — whatever its cause — had been going on for what Beings would consider a long time. Maybe even for what Cubi would consider a long time: certainly a lot longer than Destania's been "missing". In this case, kidnapping Edward would have been part of the feud, and Destania's revenge plan, not the cause of it.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

MT Hazard

There has been several images of her being loving and caring. If Dan is her first and only child he probably changed her outlook on life.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Rithm Alfortele

...I say she's still evil.

Why?

Because she wants to kill ALL the dragons, not just the ones holding Edward captive.

:< Leave 'em alone!

superluser

Quote from: MT Hazard on September 27, 2007, 05:39:23 PMThere has been several images of her being loving and caring. If Dan is her first and only child he probably changed her outlook on life.

Loving family woman and violent, genocidal sociopath are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

DarkAudit

Quote from: superluser on September 28, 2007, 01:45:11 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on September 27, 2007, 05:39:23 PMThere has been several images of her being loving and caring. If Dan is her first and only child he probably changed her outlook on life.

Loving family woman and violent, genocidal sociopath are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

wussycat

Quote from: DarkAudit on September 28, 2007, 07:19:37 AM
Quote from: superluser on September 28, 2007, 01:45:11 AM

Wow, we both thought of the same thing!

Madmann135

Short answer - Yes
Long answer - No

Evil is as much of a choice as anything, but remember that evil is also objective.  In war the enemy is always evil no matter which side your on. 

Bad/strange example but it explains what I'm saying. 
-Devoted Christians who believe one thing could  fight Devoted Christians that believe another in a bloody war.  Both sides would call the other side evil because it is how wars are fought.
-In the war between good and evil the Devil himself could be rooting for the side of good.  (saw Reaper recently, that's why I said that)

Good and evil are objective.  Literally speaking one man's good is another man's evil.  Laws and rules, made by individuals, help define good and evil for everyone.

The only reasons 'D' is on my redemption list is because she's a devoted wife and a good mother. 
How many mothers teach their children how to fight?

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Sunblink

Quote from: Wussycat on September 27, 2007, 02:56:40 AM
Is she evil or not?

Thus far, Destania's moral code is ambiguous at best, especially after Fi's testimony of her past history, where she volunteered the idea of using children for her torture class. There was even some outcries after everyone realized she was planning genocide for the Dragon race. It's obvious that she cares for her family, but there are probably still habitually "evil" tendencies which Destania hasn't discarded, even with her "new" life. Though one of my speculations is that Destiania once held a callous disregard for life which allowed her to teach her torture classes without qualms, but her attitude changed once she actually created life. Or partially.

So my answer to the question is a tentative "sort of." As in she may be sympathetic and loving towards her family, but she may harbor a more ruthless attitude towards others. Undoubtedly, she was "evil" in the past, but we still have no idea if she was particularly happy about the idea of using children as test subjects for her class and was only insisting upon the idea because she felt it was necessary, so I feel I shouldn't come to any conclusions and make myself look like more of an ass than this already overly long-winded post is.

Hope that offers a bit of perspective, although other people have been giving their contributions as well. I can't speak for Amber, though (HECK no!), so this is purely speculative.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 28, 2007, 08:22:00 AM
Undoubtedly, she was "evil" in the past, but we still have no idea if she was particularly happy about the idea of using children as test subjects for her class and was only insisting upon the idea because she felt it was necessary

"Well to be fair.  Odds are Destania would have wanted to consume the kids/infants souls as well. Waste not, want not. :3"

(Ref: http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php?topic=3297.msg142336#msg142336 )

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

So my answer to the question is a tentative "sort of." As in she may be sympathetic and loving towards her family, but she may harbor a more ruthless attitude towards others. Undoubtedly, she was "evil" in the past, but we still have no idea if she was particularly happy about the idea of using children as test subjects for her class and was only insisting upon the idea because she felt it was necessary, so I feel I shouldn't come to any conclusions and make myself look like more of an ass than this already overly long-winded post is.

Long-winded? heeheehee.

We have Fi's description of nigh-on all-out war between Fa'Lina and Destania over the use of children. I've found people tend to find it difficult to argue strongly for something that they don't feel strongly about themselves - particularly if they don't favour it. Fi's description ("I remember the throw down her and Fa'Lina had when Destania wanted to use children and infants for her torture class") seems to suggest, to me at least, that Destania felt strongly that one -should- use them, and Fa'Lina didn't. In which case, if Destania -hadn't- felt strongly about it, surely she wouldn't have had such a big fight over it?

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 28, 2007, 08:28:00 AM
Undoubtedly, she was "evil" in the past, but we still have no idea if she was particularly happy about the idea of using children as test subjects for her class and was only insisting upon the idea because she felt it was necessary

"Well to be fair.  Odds are Destania would have wanted to consume the kids/infants souls as well. Waste not, want not. :3"

(Ref: http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php?topic=3297.msg142336#msg142336 )

Oh, well that's pretty despicable. Yeah, okay, she was undoubtedly evil in the past.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCornaWe have Fi's description of nigh-on all-out war between Fa'Lina and Destania over the use of children. I've found people tend to find it difficult to argue strongly for something that they don't feel strongly about themselves - particularly if they don't favour it. Fi's description ("I remember the throw down her and Fa'Lina had when Destania wanted to use children and infants for her torture class") seems to suggest, to me at least, that Destania felt strongly that one -should- use them, and Fa'Lina didn't. In which case, if Destania -hadn't- felt strongly about it, surely she wouldn't have had such a big fight over it?

I'll have to agree with you there, and I had pondered the same thing. Destania was probably very adamant about her teaching methods, as unscrupulous as they were.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 28, 2007, 08:54:18 AM
Oh, well that's pretty despicable. Yeah, okay, she was undoubtedly evil in the past.
It might be an idea to read further down that thread if you missed it, not least because your name cropped up in the discussion of soul-eating...

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 28, 2007, 09:08:40 AM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 28, 2007, 08:54:18 AM
It might be an idea to read further down that thread if you missed it, not least because your name cropped up in the discussion of soul-eating...

By jove, it did! I'm strangely flattered, even if my character coming up in a discussion about who's comfortable with soul-eating and enjoying it isn't quite something to be proud of >:3 Maybe I'm just weird like that.

Correction: I am weird like that. Proud of it, too. :3

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Psaakyrn

Ok, playing devil's advocate again.

a) Destinia has always showed signs of caring, even back when she was in SAIA. I'll make note of http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_713.php in which she mentioned Abel as a vested student.
b) We may not agree with her values, but there are cubi which does. Example: Aaryanna, http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_294.php
c) She did go through a drastic change during transistion. Drastic enough to be termed a new life. http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_299.php
d) Her clan has a natural affinity for pain. http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_528.php
d) Most importantly, a life lesson by Abel: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_658.php

I'd say that she probably suffered from a lack of perspective which was likely ingrained by her own clan morals. If a person doesn't know what they're doing is wrong, can they be faulted for it?
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psaakyrn on September 28, 2007, 09:54:41 AM
I'd say that she probably suffered from a lack of perspective which was likely ingrained by her own clan morals. If a person doesn't know what they're doing is wrong, can they be faulted for it?

Well the interesting thing is that 'Cubi should know that what they are doing is nasty because they are empaths.  About the only explanation I can think of is that when they perceive emotions they are getting them in the abstract, i.e. a particular mental pattern that your own experience and training tells you corresponds to pain, anger or whatever.

If they actually shared the pain they were causing it is doubtful whether they would have the outlook which they do.

xHaZxMaTx

Is she evil?  Yes. No. Both. Neither.  It's up to you, really, to define what evil is and see if she fits the description.  I think that's the most definitive answer you're going to get. ;)

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 28, 2007, 10:01:21 AM

Well the interesting thing is that 'Cubi should know that what they are doing is nasty because they are empaths.  About the only explanation I can think of is that when they perceive emotions they are getting them in the abstract, i.e. a particular mental pattern that your own experience and training tells you corresponds to pain, anger or whatever.

If they actually shared the pain they were causing it is doubtful whether they would have the outlook which they do.

Just because they're empaths doesn't mean that they know what they're doing is wrong, only that what they're doing doesn't match the beliefs of the people they're hurting. If they're backed by other cubi who believes what is being done is right, you have a majority vote otherwise.

Also, her clan feeds on pain, so sharing the pain may not have the right effect you're looking for eitherway. Example: Wildy beating up Azlan to heal Dan. Given that pain's sufficient to rouse the nearly dead, they may even have "hospitals" where beings are tortured to heal clanmates.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psaakyrn on September 28, 2007, 10:11:29 AM
Just because they're empaths doesn't mean that they know what they're doing is wrong
I'm not sure about that.  If you actually experience the agony which you're inflicting on someone else, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to keep doing it.  However, it's likely that what you would experience isn't the same as what they're experiencing... indeed, that could feed the speculative notion that "Beings don't have real feelings".

QuoteGiven that pain's sufficient to rouse the nearly dead, they may even have "hospitals" where beings are tortured to heal clanmates.
Oooh.  I can see Keaton wanting to borrow that idea for her psycho clan :P

Aurawyn

Quote from: Madmann135 on September 28, 2007, 08:14:22 AM-In the war between good and evil the Devil himself could be rooting for the side of good.  (saw Reaper recently, that's why I said that)

Reminds me of a book series I once read called "Incarnations of Immortality"where the "newest Incarnation of the Devil" Was actually working to get a new incarnation of god put into place so that god would actually DO something in order to start winning the "War of good and Evil"

His whole plan was to get good to win, by doing evil. Is he didn't do evil when the next guy came and took the job of "Devil's incarnation" he would go to hell for doing a bad job (( But he would go to heaven if he did a "Good" job of being evil.. It was a strange series.... Hah ))

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ok, playing devil's advocate again.

a) Destinia has always showed signs of caring, even back when she was in SAIA. I'll make note of http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_713.php in which she mentioned Abel as a vested student.
Having a "vested interest" in Abel does in no way imply that she's not evil. It just means she was watching Abel. For all you know, she might have had a vested interest because she was training Abel to be evil, and to be able to hide it.

b) We may not agree with her values, but there are cubi which does. Example: Aaryanna, http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_294.php
"A true Creature of beauty and grace" doesn't say anything about evil or goodness. It just says beautiful and graceful. Just to Devil's Advocate you in return ;-]

c) She did go through a drastic change during transistion. Drastic enough to be termed a new life. http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_299.php
... which would imply that she was different beforehand. I believe that was my point. ;-]

d) Her clan has a natural affinity for pain. http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_528.php
d) Most importantly, a life lesson by Abel: http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_658.php
So Cubi are generally jerks. So Destania was probably, by implication, a jerk. And? That's still nothing about good or evil, that's just petty.

Is empathy supposed to enable you to figure out that people are hurt by your actions, or not?

Edit:
Whoops, forgot this section:

Yes, Aurawyn, the Incarnations of Immortality were a bit strange. Being written over the course of, IIRC, 15 years didn't help. But then, Piers Anthony kinda slipped a bit in my estimation when he went into the later Xanth novels (how many is he up to now? 35? 40? after 10 or so he ran out of ideas, IMO...)

kalika36

hmmmm any thoughts on maybe this wasnt a ploy....and it just naturally happens when u meet someone and have a baby with them.......

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_568.php

Caswin

Quote from: Madmann135 on September 28, 2007, 08:14:22 AM
Short answer - Yes
Long answer - No

Evil is as much of a choice as anything, but remember that evil is also objective.  In war the enemy is always evil no matter which side your on. 

Bad/strange example but it explains what I'm saying. 
-Devoted Christians who believe one thing could  fight Devoted Christians that believe another in a bloody war.  Both sides would call the other side evil because it is how wars are fought.
-In the war between good and evil the Devil himself could be rooting for the side of good.  (saw Reaper recently, that's why I said that)

Good and evil are objective.  Literally speaking one man's good is another man's evil.  Laws and rules, made by individuals, help define good and evil for everyone.

The only reasons 'D' is on my redemption list is because she's a devoted wife and a good mother. 
How many mothers teach their children how to fight?
Uh... are you sure "subjective" isn't the word you want?
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.