2007-9-2 [814] - Jokes are never as funny the second time around

Started by stiletto, September 02, 2007, 11:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuyudenki

totally off-topic, but Goatmon, your sig image is positively hypnotic.  Where'd you get it?

Goatmon

Isn't it though? 

It's from 0r0ch1's DA.   I've recently become a huge fan of his stuff. :3
(Just scroll down his front page)

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 04, 2007, 02:45:30 PM
There is no all-field magic that prevents a Cubi from getting pregnant at SAIA. (While there is types of magical contraceptives, they are up to the individuals to place on themselves)   However there is an auto-expulsion policy that is zero tolerance enforced.

Ah.. so the options are to wrap it up, keep it in your pants, or get the **** out of the academy?

Caswin

Quote from: Goatmon on September 04, 2007, 05:24:36 PM
Quote from: Caswin on September 04, 2007, 04:46:39 PM
Quote from: Goatmon on September 04, 2007, 04:05:26 PMYou'd think so.  It's hard to say.  But then again, how many Cubi have we really seen in much light?  We have Dan, Abel, Destania, Fa'Lina, Arryania (SP?), Aniz...  who else is there that we've really seen?

Out of that list, 2/6 (or 1/3) seem to be among the type that aren't fond of slaughtering the innocent.  That's a significant fraction.
Good point.  I think it's partially a matter of the overall reputation of 'cubi (in this universe as well as most others), SAIA, y'know, having classes devoted to the stuff, and Abel's admission that most 'cubi are "jerks" (by which I'd guess he means evil and so forth).

Well, that, and on the flip side, two thirds of the 'cubi you listed aren't exactly hesitant to slaughter the innocent.  Not an appealing fraction.
Well, they DO feed off of mortals.  And the ones that feed off of energies specific to human suffering really don't have many options.  When you have the power to do something, and the consequences are insignificant in the long run, and you have centuries of time to come to terms with this, it's not surprising that many will decide to take the less noble route.
First, to nitpick, last I checked, 'cubi were mortal.  Very long-lived, but mortal.

Second, there have been no confirmed reports (not that I know of) of 'cubi actually being limited to any one emotion.  At best, it might have a bit more punch, but it's most directly comparable to your favorite food.  They do have options, and plenty of them.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Sajoli

In Aaryanna's Livejournal, I'm pretty sure she mentions Cubi mating with each other. She writes about what happens when two from different clans fall in love. (NO! NOT THE DIAGRAMS! GYAAAAAAAAAH PUT IT AWAY!!!)
Iunno.  :<

Aleolus

Oooooo, nothing like finding out that your mother was once the pinnacle of all evil at the Cubi Academy!  That must have hurt, ya think?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Goatmon on September 04, 2007, 05:38:21 PM
Ah.. so the options are to wrap it up, keep it in your pants, or get the f*** out of the academy?

Goaty....PG board....

Goatmon

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 04, 2007, 08:40:18 PM
Quote from: Goatmon on September 04, 2007, 05:38:21 PM
Ah.. so the options are to wrap it up, keep it in your pants, or get the f*** out of the academy?

Goaty....PG board....

That's the toned down Goatmon.  =P

You know, we have blood EVERYWHERE in the last couple of AS pages, but heaven forbid anyone say a naughty word on the forum! 
I'll be a tad more careful in the future.   :rolleyes

techmaster-glitch

That's because AS, and all related threads, are PG-13, or NC-14, whichever you prefer. Besides, if I didn't say it, the admins would(edit of your post). They've done it before, believe me.

Goatmon

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 04, 2007, 09:01:36 PMBlah blah blah

Yes, yes, yes.  I know.  I have moments now and then when I go a millimeter beyond the boundaries of the rules.  To err is human and all.

I edited the OP.  Move along. =P

Amber Williams

Hey now.  PG means Parent Guidance, not "everything is super-kid friendly"

If people want to drop the F-bomb rarely as a means to add emphasis to what they are saying, then by all means.  The only issue is when people feel it's their right to litter 3/5th of their sentences and posts with swearing.

And to final note:
Quote from: Psy-Kosh on September 04, 2007, 05:21:11 PM
Am I the only one, incidentally, that seems to find it odd that (near as I can make out) Fa'lina is fine with consuming souls, but draws the line at torturing kids?

Well to be fair.  Odds are Destania would have wanted to consume the kids/infants souls as well. Waste not, want not. :3

techmaster-glitch

I know, but llearch may have other ideas. Back in the thread where Aniz first revealed himself, there were seveneen, count 'em, seventeen! delurks, and I commented about it. With an F-bomb. I was censored and chastised by llearch. I'm not complaining, in retrospect, I was indeed the one in error; I shouldn't have slipped like that. The "punishment", if you can even call it that, wasn't that bad though, and I learned my lesson; there are little ones on this particular board. If I was llearch, I might've done the same thing. I'm just helping another person rectify his own mistake before someone else does it for him. I know how annoying that can be.

Goatmon

Appreciate the comment, Amber.  I'm glad it's no big deal to throw a swear around once in a while.  I tend to avoid it for the most part around here anyway, as I try to steer my behavior towards the people I'm around as I go from forum to forum. 

Generally the "It's okay, but don't overdo it" rule seems to work well, for the most part.  Well, at least on the webcomic boards.  (Besides the Penny Arcade one; Those people are freaking nuts)

Amber Williams

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 04, 2007, 09:11:47 PM
I know, but llearch may have other ideas.

If Ilearch and myself disagree about something, then we will handle it with each other.  However, you would be better off remembering there is a rule against playing forum-cop to other members.  If you seriously want to forwarn other members from making what you feel is a mistake, I suggest you PM them instead.

techmaster-glitch

Zedd

techmaster-glitch

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 04, 2007, 09:06:23 PM
Well to be fair.  Odds are Destania would have wanted to consume the kids/infants souls as well. Waste not, want not. :3

Ugh.  I figured Dee must have eaten a few to make 7000, but that really is sounding bad.  Arguably worse than genocide.  Damn good job no-one has mentioned to Dan that she's into soul-murder - I can easily see him trying to kill himself to try and make his line extinct.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

*Charline eats the world!*  Om nom nom... Ack!  I got Norway stuck between my teeth!  The fijords are pointy!   :<   The Earth is all hot and metal-tasting inside!  Bleah.  Souls are much tastier and softer.  And the screams from within as you absorb their energy and destroy their very essence is so satisfying.  Knowing that the unworthy beings you consume will never have a chance in the afterlife because you've completely obliterated them is a joy only we evil cubi shall know!   >:3

Meh, eating the planet just doesn't have the same thrill.  The scale is just too big to really enjoy it.   :P

*Charles paraphrases the Bible*  "Fear not them who can destroy the body, but them that can destroy the soul."  Now I know what that REALLY meant!   :U  
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

King Of Hearts

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Sajoli on September 04, 2007, 06:14:27 PM
In Aaryanna's Livejournal, I'm pretty sure she mentions Cubi mating with each other. She writes about what happens when two from different clans fall in love. (NO! NOT THE DIAGRAMS! GYAAAAAAAAAH PUT IT AWAY!!!)
Iunno.  :<
?
I just looked over(and saved) the entire journal, and don't see anything like that.
For anyone who is wondering, the address is: http://aary-kitty.livejournal.com/
(which, it looks like, is all Amber's doing, so whats there is probably 50% correct)

Also, to Amber or anyone else who can help me, I noticed that
http://www.missmab.com/graphics/A1.jpg
http://www.missmab.com/graphics/A2.jpg
http://www.missmab.com/graphics/A3.jpg
http://www.missmab.com/graphics/A4.jpg
http://www.missmab.com/graphics/A5.jpg
are all missing. If anyone has a copy, I would love to see these images.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Tapewolf

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on September 05, 2007, 04:06:04 AM
I just looked over(and saved) the entire journal, and don't see anything like that.
(which, it looks like, is all Amber's doing, so whats there is probably 50% correct)

Amber didn't write the journal - as far as I know - but since Aary wrote a few things there which were proved correct, I'd say that Amber told her a lot of interesting secrets :P

QuoteAlso, to Amber or anyone else who can help me, I noticed that
[some images]

What are they supposed to be?   I might have copies at home...

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 05, 2007, 04:11:09 AM
Quote from: RobbieThe1st on September 05, 2007, 04:06:04 AM

Amber didn't write the journal - as far as I know - but since Aary wrote a few things there which were proved correct, I'd say that Amber told her a lot of interesting secrets :P

QuoteAlso, to Amber or anyone else who can help me, I noticed that
[some images]

What are they supposed to be?   I might have copies at home...
Well, I found the images on that blog, second page of posts.
At-least with that post, Amber obviously did quite a bit, including the graphics(the graphics are, obviously, hosted on missmab.com).

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

Caswin

Quote from: King Of Hearts on September 05, 2007, 04:01:21 AM
Ah... Dee v Dan in the making?
Too predictable, I think.  (Or does that just mean... eh, let's not go there)

On the topic of soul-eating, it came up during my brief stint in the SAIA RP.  I think it was Azlan who offered up a description of the process: in essence, slurping up the soul's energy and becoming stronger for it, but leaving something (not necessarily for want of trying) to keep going.

On the other hand, for all the enthusiastic let's-play-as-'cubi-in-SAIA players, there seemed to be quite a bit of discomfort over the subject in general, leading to things like the demonstration dummy/"victim" being a heartless mass murderer and so forth - which, I doubt, is standard SAIA procedure.  So maybe it was just keeping in that (I'm tempted to say 'cubi lite... and yep, I said it) tone of things.  I dunno.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

techmaster-glitch

There was a SAIA RP? I'd like to read that. Linky, please?

llearch n'n'daCorna

I believe it's somewhere on the nice forum that's archived over at nice.llearch.net

There's a search engine on there to help locate it...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Caswin on September 05, 2007, 10:41:45 PM
On the topic of soul-eating, it came up during my brief stint in the SAIA RP.  I think it was Azlan who offered up a description of the process: in essence, slurping up the soul's energy and becoming stronger for it, but leaving something (not necessarily for want of trying) to keep going.
Someone also proposed the theory that it's more a case of trapping their soul within yours to augment your power rather than destroying it, but in both cases I have the sinking feeling that it's wishful thinking  :<

QuoteOn the other hand, for all the enthusiastic let's-play-as-'cubi-in-SAIA players, there seemed to be quite a bit of discomfort over the subject in general, leading to things like the demonstration dummy/"victim" being a heartless mass murderer and so forth - which, I doubt, is standard SAIA procedure.
I can imagine.  Keaton seems to be the only person easy enough with the idea of soul-eating to create a character who actually enjoys it.  I've always found the idea repellent, so while my character has done many highly questionable things from a Being point of view - up to and including stealing souls - devouring them completely is where I draw the line.

Aridas

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 06, 2007, 06:07:51 AMso while my character has done many highly questionable things from a Being point of view - up to and including stealing souls - devouring them completely is where I draw the line.
That sounds a bit like hunting an animal and not making use of everything you get out of it. Wasteful and wrong :/