Study suggests parallel universes exist

Started by Ryudo Lee, September 26, 2007, 02:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tezkat

Quote from: Alondro on October 02, 2007, 10:03:25 PM
*Charles nah*  All they have to do is hold onto the particles and run really really fast.   :3

But people who can run that fast charge exorbitant fees, so it's still expensive. :mowtongue
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Kuari

Quote from: Tezkat on October 02, 2007, 08:11:54 PM
Quote from: Kuari on October 02, 2007, 02:59:32 PM
Studies also suggest that squirrels may one day conquer the world...

*cough*

On a more serious note...  gotta really wonder if the funding for this useless information actually goes to more secretive things and that the so called "scientists" that pop up in these studies just pull things out of their butt that can be figured out for almost no budget...  that or they are cheating their funders.

You don't need grant money to sit on your ass all day pondering the nature of the universe. Tenure will do fine. :3

Theoretical physics only gets expensive when you need to test your theories in the real world. And the materials, equipment, and manpower needed to... say... accelerate particles near the speed of light can be very, very expensive indeed.

What's up with all the conspiracy theory stuff, anyway? People fund research because they expect an overall return on their investments. If they consider their money well spent, why complain? "Scientists" who screw those people over tend to discover a lack of money flowing their way in the future...

Why the conspiracy theories from me?  Well it's obvious that the government keeps a lot of secrets...  Area 51 being the worst kept though by now, nothing is there.  It's become too well known..  I just think there is more to these useless studies when they're government funded then we're told.  A majority of the people in the country know they're useless, so obvious by now the government must know, they just have a reason they're not going to tell us.

Azlan

Awww, now you are all just being silly... come on, pretend you know what you are talking about peeps.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Kuari link=topic=3418.msg149258#msg149258I just think there is more to these useless studies when they're government funded then we're told.  A majority of the people in the country know they're useless, so obvious by now the government must know, they just have a reason they're not going to tell us.
Well, If *I* ran a company which did studies for millions for the government, wouldn't I try my best to get lots of useless studies done?

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Kuari

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on October 03, 2007, 12:57:42 AM
Quote from: Kuari link=topic=3418.msg149258#msg149258I just think there is more to these useless studies when they're government funded then we're told.  A majority of the people in the country know they're useless, so obvious by now the government must know, they just have a reason they're not going to tell us.
Well, If *I* ran a company which did studies for millions for the government, wouldn't I try my best to get lots of useless studies done?

-RobbieThe1st

The question is, why would the government continue paying for it throughout all the useless garbage

Reese Tora

Quote from: Kuari on October 03, 2007, 01:03:14 AM

-RobbieThe1st

The question is, why would the government continue paying for it throughout all the useless garbage

Can you, by chance, name a few of these government funded useless studies?

A lot of studies are done by universities, priveate colleges, institutions whos funding is not primarily government based.  Now, I will admit, lots of useless drek comes out of congress and the whitehouse, but the government generally grants money for research in fields that will benifit either the government or the country (or, by the act of funding, thier re-election)

Stem cell research
Rocketry
Nuclear power
The Internet

I challenge you to tell me you don't use atleast one of the above to your benefit on a regular basis.

BTW, 'useless' studies I'd like to see government funded: anything done as a training exercise for the next generation of american scientists, or to help americans in general learn to think in a more scientific and critical manner.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Alondro

Useless studies:  Anything to do with sports or Hollywood.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Kuari

Quote from: Reese Tora on October 03, 2007, 02:49:58 AM
Quote from: Kuari on October 03, 2007, 01:03:14 AM

-RobbieThe1st

Can you, by chance, name a few of these government funded useless studies?

A lot of studies are done by universities, priveate colleges, institutions whos funding is not primarily government based.  Now, I will admit, lots of useless drek comes out of congress and the whitehouse, but the government generally grants money for research in fields that will benifit either the government or the country (or, by the act of funding, thier re-election)

Stem cell research
Rocketry
Nuclear power
The Internet

I challenge you to tell me you don't use atleast one of the above to your benefit on a regular basis.

BTW, 'useless' studies I'd like to see government funded: anything done as a training exercise for the next generation of american scientists, or to help americans in general learn to think in a more scientific and critical manner.

You know, now I remember why the government pays for these studies thanks to you...  it's an indirect effect from the government funding many colleges (yes, some government money goes to colleges).  In any case, I can understand some studies for practice, but it should at least be a useful piece of information...  not something like "Accidents occur the most at home" or "The bathroom is the most dangerous room of your house"

Well gee...  as if these weren't duh moments.

Alondro

Well, scientists kinda get obsessed with quantifiable data, so even when something is common sense, one of them simply must perform a study.

There was a study about the longest lasting bubble gum, I recall.  Then there was the one which found that depressed people were the most likely to commit suicide.  No way!   :U
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Kuari

Quote from: Alondro on October 03, 2007, 09:26:08 PM
Well, scientists kinda get obsessed with quantifiable data, so even when something is common sense, one of them simply must perform a study.

There was a study about the longest lasting bubble gum, I recall.  Then there was the one which found that depressed people were the most likely to commit suicide.  No way!   :U

....weren't scientists supposed to be smart?

superluser

My favorite was the study of the effects of alcohol on 70,000 nurses.

I don't know what it proved, except that you can get people to pay you to watch 70,000 drunk nurses.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Alondro

*just announced today!*  The formation of knots is revealed!   :U

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20071004/sc_livescience/thescienceofknotsunraveled

The end of a string goes through loops!  Astounding!   :B

Kamunt

You know what's even more astounding? The fact that air actually exists, even though we can't see it with the unaided eye. Like God.

bill

Air only exists because you believe in it. If you stop believing, you die.  :<

Alondro

Quote from: BillBuckner on October 06, 2007, 07:32:07 AM
Air only exists because you believe in it. If you stop believing, you die.  :<

We must conduct a study to ascertain whether or not this phenomenon occurs.  I suspect it will cost around $1,000,000,000.

Now to plan for my escape to Costa Rica once I have the money.   >:3

Kamunt

Quote from: BillBuckner on October 06, 2007, 07:32:07 AMAir only exists because you believe in it. If you stop believing, you die.  :<

:O NO WAI!! That...it can't be true!! ...Can it? :erk Hmmm....*debates whether or not he should ask his local Catholic Church to test this theory* ...Mm, no, I can't, I've even already been Confirmed...with a Catholic sponsor who's never been Confirmed. :pope

Quote from: Alondro on October 06, 2007, 09:57:47 AMWe must conduct a study to ascertain whether or not this phenomenon occurs.  I suspect it will cost around $1,000,000,000.

Now to plan for my escape to Costa Rica once I have the money.   >:3

COOO-STAAA RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIII~I~I~IICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! ...sounds like a good place to live, to me. :3