They've made water burn!

Started by Alondro, September 11, 2007, 07:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Oooo... this could be very interesting!

http://green.yahoo.com/index.php?q=node/1570

Salt water and radiowaves!  Now, my main question is does this give an energy surplus?  As with many of this miraculous things early on, it may turn out later that the energy required to run the RF generator is far more than the gain of making hydrogen.  We shall see, time will tell.  For now, though, it's a unique phenomenon.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Zedd

Fuyudenki

funkayyyyy!

There are other ways to make water burn, of course.  For example, throwing water on a Thermite reaction actually makes it hotter, but using radio frequencies to separate water and hydrogen is definitely funky.  From the sound of it, it's a lot faster than electrolysis, too.

Kenji

I'm all for knocking out weaknesses.
I mean furthering science. Yes, science. >.>

Zedd

Quote from: Kenji on September 11, 2007, 09:26:20 PM
I'm all for knocking out weaknesses.
I mean furthering science. Yes, science. >.>
Lies! And potatoes!

Cogidubnus

I heard about this a few weeks ago. Interesting stuff.

The implications are astounding. Salt water as fuel. If it works, we might just have destroyed the world order as we know it...I mean, created an entirely new and plentiful source of fuel!

Green energy isn't the future! Blue energy! :3

TheDXM

Alondro

And just think how useful this would be on a Mars mission, where the water found underground is likely to be salty.  There'd be plenty of energy available for a base!
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

superluser

I still think the better way to burn water is to start with fresh water and add the sodium to it.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Caswin

Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Alondro on September 11, 2007, 10:59:25 PM
And just think how useful this would be on a Mars mission, where the water found underground is likely to be salty.  There'd be plenty of energy available for a base!

AND if I'm not mistaken, the exhaust is nearly 100% safe for human consumption.

OK, it's got to be cooled to liquid first, of course...

Sienna Maiu - M T

That is super cool. More so even than the last major breakthrough in hydrogen I read about. And that was pretty nift!

Ah... I was researching global warming at the time. I couldn't quite remember the context at first.

Alondro

But I need global warming...

I must recover Adam's embryo from the crater of Lake Vostok in Antarctica if my plans for Human Instrumentality are to succeed...

*3:46 am delusions*   :B

King Of Hearts

That's why I stuck with the Barbem foundation.

Sid

Aquaman is in so much trouble now... >:3
:boogie

Zedd

Sid

Quote from: Zedd on September 12, 2007, 04:58:29 AM
Quote from: Sid on September 12, 2007, 04:34:23 AM
Aquaman is in so much trouble now... >:3
http://macrochan.org/source/M/V/MVKM2TGQ6KFOYXJUAMRIP43TZDBPXDQP.jpeg

This might have been funnier or more insightful if I (1) spoke Latin(?) and (2) actually was able to decipher that font.

Zedd

In short..Didnt Superman try that stunt with Jimmy Olsen too? Its a strange way you want make water burn...Then again I am sure Namor will be ticked too. Ah burning water...Crazy site to see

Sid

Quote from: Zedd on September 12, 2007, 05:40:52 AM
In short..Didnt Superman try that stunt with Jimmy Olsen too? Its a strange way you want make water burn...Then again I am sure Namor will be ticked too. Ah burning water...Crazy site to see

Considering that Superman tried all sorts of insane (and improbable) stunts with Olsen, that should be a safe bet, yes. ;)

King Of Hearts

Right now, Olsen has his powers from all the pre-crisis shenanigans [And I'm out of vodka... pity.] plus the Anti Life Equation in his head, AND a kryptonian dog. I wont be surprised if Jimmy's able to do that to Clark.

and yes... Aguaman and Namor will be snappin' some necks for this trespass on all the under water states.

Alondro

*ahem*  May I present the physical representation of the anti-life equation...

*insert picture of Charline*

Nuff said.   :giggle

Valynth

My prayers are answered!  Finally a clean energy source that doesn't have dirty laundry!
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

rt

Cool, but we do kind of need that water, or at least get the water back to where we steal it from (and the salt). I bet we had plenty of oil when we started burning oil too.

Then the old laws ofthe universe come in, if your using radio waves to get hydrogen, what do you use as fuel for that.

Also iirc hydrogen go boom!  :< Big explsion bad  :<
Though I think they've been working on us not driving hydrogen bombs around if this ever happens.

Enough of being a party pooper .. burning water is cooooooool!
Also I feel the need to make a superman refference to stay off topic.

Reese Tora

very interesting.

Even if this sytem runs at a net loss of energy(and it probably will), you could use the process with a non-transportable energy source, like wind or solar, to produce hydrogen to be pumped or shipped to places where energy is needed.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Alondro

I always thought Australia would be ideal for for solar power production.  Hot, flat, cloudless most of the time, the entire center nothing but a giant salt flat populated by kangaroos and those bull frogs we sent over to eat all the Aussie's crops.   >:3

So Australia can cover the bleak landscape with solar panels and produce all the hydrogen for the world.   :3

llearch n'n'daCorna

solar panels aren't economical to make - they only work for about 20 years, which is about the break-even point on installing them...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 12, 2007, 05:29:44 PMsolar panels aren't economical to make - they only work for about 20 years

Really?  I knew that they weren't economical (even more so when compared to wind or even solar thermal energy), but I had no idea that they were that uneconomical.

Saist

Quote from: superluser on September 12, 2007, 09:51:44 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 12, 2007, 05:29:44 PMsolar panels aren't economical to make - they only work for about 20 years

Really?  I knew that they weren't economical (even more so when compared to wind or even solar thermal energy), but I had no idea that they were that uneconomical.

There is a reason you don't see the Solar powered cars from the 1980's and 1990's around. Their custom panels only lasted for about 2 or 3 years.

20 years is really stretching it on stationary solar panels and effectively ignores natural wear and tear due to weather.

anyways, the real reason why I popped into this thread is that burning water isn't exactly what we would refer to as news. Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May managed to burn a Car Wash down. That was news, and also more evidence that the 3 are more destructive than hurricanes.

I've personally known certain amateur chefs before that HAVE caught water on fire.

Okay, the method is new, yes. But the concept? Not so much.

superluser

Quote from: je.saist on September 13, 2007, 12:55:52 AMOkay, the method is new, yes. But the concept? Not so much.

I also alluded to the ritual with which MIT students will set the Charles river on fire.  Not the things in the river, but the actual water.

I wasn't aware, but it looks like 5 people were injured this year.

LionHeart

Quote from: je.saist on September 13, 2007, 12:55:52 AM
Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May managed to burn a Car Wash down. That was news, and also more evidence that the 3 are more destructive than hurricanes.

I remember that episode. And to think, car manufacturers actually trust these guys with expensive high powered performance cars...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity