Started by Turnsky, September 07, 2007, 09:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rt

Quote from: Tezkat on September 07, 2007, 10:07:35 PM
Um... ouch? :dface

:yeahthat That abouts sums up my reaction .. ouch  ouch  ouch  ouch OUCH! :C

Sunblink

Quote from: EspyLacopa on September 08, 2007, 04:20:52 PM
I had thought that an important part about Killing in Self Defense is the fact that the person performing the self defense fears for his/her life.

Can you honestly say Aniz feared for his life from Henya leaping at him?  Or was he just pissed that she ruined his favorite shirt?

Personally, I think that Aniz was more infuriated or irritated than anything else. Fear doesn't really seem to be something I would attribute with him, not unless he was confronted with a significantly more powerful force.

Also, I don't get why people are trying to justify Aniz murdering Hennya. He attacked the family first, slapping May around and incapacitating Abel by taking advantage of his fear of blood. Hennya tried to protect them. Shouldn't we be, I don't know, sharpening pitchforks and torches and going to burn the witch (ie, Aniz)?

But I digress.

I had a thought. What if Abel's clan has an affinity for blood? Perhaps Aniz goes berserk at the sight of blood, similar to what happens when a bull sees something red, including other members of his clan. Maybe Abel's hemophobic reaction is because he's only part 'Cubus, or because of some genetic fault, or whatever? This affiliation with blood could be part of the reason Abel isn't quite fond of his clan marking. Plus, his clan marking looks quite similar to a droplet of blood.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Aniz may have attacked first, but it was Hennya who tried to go lethal first.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 08, 2007, 05:06:13 PM

Honestly, I don't really blame her. Aniz had already confessed to killing Cid in the past, plus he didn't seem to have any qualms about taking the confrontation to an even more violent level. There could've been a chance that Aniz would've killed them, especially after Abel attacked him with the stool. At least from Hennya's perspective, perhaps.

Plus, there's defending yourself, and then there's overkill. Hennya just got bisected, dismembered, and decapitated all in one. I think that's overkill.

But eh. My logic is dictated heavily by emotions. There are probably holes the size of craters in my statement, so nobody get fired up about it.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 08, 2007, 04:58:49 PM
I had a thought. What if Abel's clan has an affinity for blood? Perhaps Aniz goes berserk at the sight of blood, similar to what happens when a bull sees something red, including other members of his clan. Maybe Abel's hemophobic reaction is because he's only part 'Cubus, or because of some genetic fault, or whatever? This affiliation with blood could be part of the reason Abel isn't quite fond of his clan marking. Plus, his clan marking looks quite similar to a droplet of blood.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

That is something that I've never thought of...and it sounds like it fits absolutely perfectly. In fact, it is probaby one of the best DMFA theories I've ever heard.
On no! If you're right, Now Amber's gonna change it all just so we're wrong! D: D: D:

No one talk about it anymore. :shifty You did not see anything here, Amber :paranoid Move along *Jedi hand wave*

Cogidubnus

If you are trying to say that, by attacking without explicitly stating he was going to kill, Aniz still deserved only incapacitation, I would have to disagree.
Once force has started to be used, it's go time. Whether or not somebody is going only for pain, maim, or kill, there are still consequences for "Drawing your sword", as it were. It is impossible, from the defender's standpoint, to know the -exact- intentions of an attacker, true. Therefore, you can only react as if they are trying to take your life. You shouldn't use force unless you are prepared for it to be used on you in turn, with possible lethal results.
Put yourself in Hennya's shoes - this obviously sadistic, probably evil, certainly 'Cubi entity is gloating over the bleeding body of your friend. You don't know if he's going to kill him or not, true, but it isn't as though Aniz has proved himself trustworthy in the least. The use of force is most certainly justified, in my most humble of opinions.
What's more, I think we have figured out that Aniz really isn't the most trustworthy of people. Hennya should have gone for the neck.

WhiteFire

etc. etc. etc... (sorry, not picking on your posts in particular here, just an example...)

Does our morality really matter here? Justified by our morals or not, I don't think it really matters. In the DMFA world, different rules apply, and it's those rules that are going to impact what happens in the comic itself. Unless we just want to decide how much we hate Aniz. I think "he is a mega-jerk" has long been established and accepted after all... (I suppose technically I could be more descriptive as this thread is OK for language, but..)

From the standpoint of the morality of Creatures, this seemed fairly in keeping with their normal operation: strongest wins.

Which really begs the question lots of people are asking.... why is he so upset? The "authorities" are not going to care.
* Vengeful family, clan or friends she had?
* Mentally scaring his son further? I am not entirely sure he CARES considering the way he chose to break the news and slapping Abel's mother around and tormenting her emotionally. Then again he does kinda go back on that in regards to the blood phobia.
* Rules set down by Fa'Lina? He did imply she was going to be upset about something already, so she is _somehow_ involved in what he is upto.
* Something about the "she" mentioned? Which may or may not be Fa'Lina (if it was it would be a bit odd for him to avoid mentioning her name since he already has dropped it).
* Most probably: I have no clue what so ever because I don't know enough... after all, a lot of the motives of the various players has NOT been spelled out in full, much less the full list of them, so... who the heck knows.

Tapewolf

Good points [not picking on your posts in particular here, just an example...].  For the record, I don't particularly like Aniz, but I don't like jumping to conclusions either.  I'd prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Tycoon

Amazing comic, Amber! Absolutely great!

Anyways, I have a feeling that tonight's shower of swears is caused by an unaccounted-for entry of a certain demon mare.

Didn't Kria say that she would be stopping by the Rewanz household to talk with Abel?

WhiteFire

Let me add to my list of reasons why this may be bad (I kinda forgot this one):
* Anhora whom she was about to get married to, and whom Able was just about to be asked to be Honor Maiden (Seriously, I knew he was kinda girly, but...).

Paul

The negative silhouette is wicked. Less graphic and yet more hard-hitting than a "normal" panel would have been. Well played.

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 08, 2007, 07:01:21 AMPerhaps I wrote Hennya off some time ago, but to be honest this strip didn't affect me anything like as much as #815.  (Although I think that one touched a nerve)
Uh... #815 is Mab going superhero.

Tapewolf

Fuyudenki

Whenever someone posts a link to a past comic, I find myself reading through archives again.

This is a sign of a good comic, I think.

Anyway, so this time, I'm reading Abel's Story from page 1, and I think I just noticed that cookies have been featured in every segment so far, with the possible exception of the "Baby Abel" segment.

Just an observation.  You may now go back to speculating about morality and mortality.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Raist on September 08, 2007, 07:29:25 PM
Whenever someone posts a link to a past comic, I find myself reading through archives again.

Anyway, so this time, I'm reading Abel's Story from page 1, and I think I just noticed that cookies have been featured in every segment so far, with the possible exception of the "Baby Abel" segment.

Just an observation.  You may now go back to speculating about morality and mortality.

... If anyone suggests making Hennya into Meat Cookies, I'm gonna be sick...

Saist

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on September 08, 2007, 07:33:19 PM

Okay. Henya Meat Loaf!
* je.saist runs for cover the fury of the Jiggy one!

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on September 08, 2007, 07:33:19 PM
Quote from: Raist on September 08, 2007, 07:29:25 PM

Considering she was talking about them just before Abel showed up, I think she'd find it hilariously ironic.

"Oh no, I'm dead.  Oh look, there's my body.  Oh look, cookies!  Tasty meat cookies!"

Angel

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 08, 2007, 11:04:13 AM
Quote from: Black_angel on September 08, 2007, 10:52:23 AM
(wide-eyed and panting)

Huh...huh...heh....

Hennya?

(slumps and shakes her head) Oh God.

I have nothing to say.

I knew you were going to show up sooner or later...
I was just as speechless as you are.

Not sure what that first part is supposed to mean... Nice to know I'm not the only one who freaked out. I mean, I knew she'd die, but... seriously. I thought being eaten alive was the worst way to die! What a way to prove me wrong!

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on September 08, 2007, 11:42:12 AM
~o/ Heeeeeeenyaaaaaaa, oh Heeeeeeeeeeeenya.... where the giraffes aaaaaaaare, and the zebraaaaaaa.... /o~

...wait...

...Okay, that was pretty funny.

But Hennya's still dead, dangit!

Quote from: Cogidubnus on September 08, 2007, 03:47:05 PM

To paraphrase: "Hennya is dead. Please direct all therapy requests to the psychology ward."

Oh, yeah, like I'm not traumatized enough already, Cog! THANKS A LOT!
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Naldru

I think the only thing that is apparent is that is an ugly situation and ended in a way that nobody wanted.  Unfortunately that's what often happens in disputes.

I'm not holding out much hope for Hennya, but the following are the possibilities that I can see for her return to the story.

1. The morphing amulet turns the pieces of severed mythos into an intact being.

2.  The mythos are capable of being cut apart and then stitched back together.  In this case, you might have to burn the body parts or something to kill the mythos.  Perhaps Aniz has a pot of magic glue like was used in The Tin Soldier of Oz.  Possibly support would be the fact that they were able to reattach Abel's wing.

3.  Cubi are skilled in light and dark magic.  Perhaps Fa'lina or Aniz can repair Hennya.  Perhaps there is a doctor in town with the required skills.

4.  The mythos regenerate.

5.  This is all a really bad nightmare  (perhaps Cubi induced).

6.  Somebody has a time reversal spell.

7.  The mythos Hennya is actually a remotely controlled puppet of a body located somewhere else.  She would then merely have to create a new puppet.  Alternatively, the mind of Hennya is actually a symbiote that can be transferred to another host.

Can anybody think of any others?
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Fuyudenki

I've got one.

90% of our Forumite speculation tends to be exactly wrong, so the more we hold out hope that Hennya's alive, the more permanently dead she'll be next Saturday.

Hennya was one of my favorite AS characters.  She's dead.  Get over it.  Let's wonder what Aniz is freaking out about, instead.

Angel

Quote from: Raist on September 08, 2007, 10:05:45 PM
I've got one.

90% of our Forumite speculation tends to be exactly wrong, so the more we hold out hope that Hennya's alive, the more permanently dead she'll be next Saturday.

Hennya was one of my favorite AS characters.  She's dead.  Get over it.  Let's wonder what Aniz is freaking out about, instead.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Hennya's stayin' dead. Aniz is probably freaking out because due to some rules set in place by either Fa'Lina, the Council, or Destania, he wasn't supposed to kill anyone. Notice how even though Abel could've seriously hurt Aniz by snashing a stool over him, Aniz didn't seem to care at all, and avoided killing Abel. (Somehow, I doubt that it was out of sympathy or any form of love.)

So now he's seriously screwed. And he might die as a result. Yay.  :boogie
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

DMFA!

She was killed just before her wedding too :( Too depressing

thegayhare

Notice how even though Abel could've seriously hurt Aniz by snashing a stool over him, Aniz didn't seem to care at all, and avoided killing Abel. (Somehow, I doubt that it was out of sympathy or any form of love.)

yes but you seem to be forgetting that killing Abel would have made the proceeding years a big waste of time.  And since it seems the entire charade seems to have been to generate Abel it would have been monumentaly stupid

Quote from: DMFA! on September 08, 2007, 11:16:08 PM
She was killed just before her wedding too :( Too depressing

that struck a nerve with me and makes me wonder if they were waiting for there wedding night...

thats anouther depressing thought

Goatmon

Quote from: thegayhare on September 08, 2007, 11:26:45 PMthat struck a nerve with me and makes me wonder if they were waiting for there wedding night...

Doubt it.  It's more likely that Aniz revealed himself because Abel's headwings had come in, signaling  that Abel had reached Cubi Maturity. 

superluser

Quote from: EspyLacopa on September 08, 2007, 04:20:52 PMI had thought that an important part about Killing in Self Defense is the fact that the person performing the self defense fears for his/her life.

Well, it's more about protecting your life than fearing for it.  If a guy comes at me with a gun and fires five shots, missing me every time, I may be pretty confident that he'll miss me the last time, but I'd still be justified in firing back.

Though I think some of us would do well to look up the following terms:
Manslaughter
Felony Murder

Even of you are defending yourself, if you're doing it during the commission of a crime, you'll probably wind up facing a murder rap.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

DMFA!

That would be depressing, Goatmon, but i have to agree with thegayhare. Its seems to make more sense, and do you guys think Aniz...since he seemed to have a completely different reaction when he snapped out of his "trance"... could he feel some guilt or is he just panicing because he disobeyed an order of some sort?

thegayhare

Quote from: Goatmon on September 08, 2007, 11:37:21 PM
Quote from: thegayhare on September 08, 2007, 11:26:45 PMthat struck a nerve with me and makes me wonder if they were waiting for there wedding night...

Doubt it.  It's more likely that Aniz revealed himself because Abel's headwings had come in, signaling  that Abel had reached Cubi Maturity. 

lol
no I ment I wondered if Hennya and Ahnora were waiting for there wedding night too...

Fuyudenki

Quote from: superluser on September 08, 2007, 11:46:40 PM

Felony Murder

Oh, cool!  So if two guys break into my house to rob me, and I shoot and kill one in self defense, his buddy gets charged with first degree murder.

Interesting.

Quote from: thegayhare on September 08, 2007, 11:26:45 PM
that struck a nerve with me and makes me wonder if they were waiting for there wedding night...

What?  People still do that?  I thought I was the only one.

*fails to believe.*

Aridas

Aniz probably wasn't in his right mind when he did it, just look at his speech bubbles and his sudden change back and realization :<

WhiteFire

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on September 09, 2007, 12:03:19 AM
Aniz probably wasn't in his right mind when he did it, just look at his speech bubbles and his sudden change back and realization :<
Yeah, he was hopped up on twinkies and playing GTA, that's it. :)

DarkAudit

Quote from: WhiteFire on September 09, 2007, 12:15:24 AM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on September 09, 2007, 12:03:19 AM
Yeah, he was hopped up on twinkies and playing GTA, that's it. :)

Is he gonna subpoena the president, too?  :erk
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....