[Art] Raist got Ink'd! (12/14/2007)

Started by Fuyudenki, September 07, 2007, 08:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Let the thread die?

Yeah...
No!

xHaZxMaTx

You could try blurring it in Phothoshop or something.

Fuyudenki

so I guess that since "do both" is winning, anyway, and everyone wants to see both, nobody else is likely to vote, unless they desperately do not want to see one.

Well too bad, I have a comic I need to do, first!(hah!)

Sienna Maiu - M T

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on September 14, 2007, 12:28:38 PM
the urinary planet looks awesome.

The yellow one, you mean? Or perhaps you have something else in mind? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Fuyudenki

yeaahhhhhhhhhh... I thought you were talking about a machine at first, and I thought, "Did I upload any machine pictures?"

Someone else voted for B.

that's 2 votes B, 2 votes Both(the vote A is me, and therefore uncounted).

I think in the event of a tie breaker, I'll default to Both.

I still need to draw a comic, though.

And before that, those animations I promised earlier.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Sienna Maiu - M T

llearch n'n'daCorna

Sienna Maiu - M T

I'm sorry llearch... but that fatsuit simply does nothing for you.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on September 16, 2007, 11:45:24 PM
I'm sorry llearch... but that fatsuit simply does nothing for you.

Not even with the natty hat?

Fuyudenki

I think I prefer it to cross-dressing Llearch.

I'm working on things, really!

I'm going to call the poll closed, now.  Tie, Type B and Both at 2 votes each.  Personally, I change my vote to Both, for a win there.

It could be a while before you see anything from it, though, because I have to do those animations.

Sienna Maiu - M T

ooh... so many arcane choices... I'm not sure which to choose!

Fuyudenki

if it makes it any easier, here's how the system I used works.

Earth beats Air, which beats Water, which beats Fire, which beats Ice, which beats Earth.  These are Arcane Elements.

Arcane beats Light beats Dark beats Arcane.  These are the divine alignments.

for the Arcane, if you choose an element, you also get the two on either side of it.  That is...

Fire->Earth and Air
Air->Fire and Ice(this is me, actually, but I like fire more)
Ice->Air and Water
Water->Ice and Earth
Earth->Water and Fire

I may have to stop adding "Potato" to my polls, it's stealing all the answers.

Sienna Maiu - M T

That's really interesting. Personally I'm not sure if I would be water or air, as both are cool. I considered Ice, but I wasn't sure if you used that division-thing. Also, I'm not sure I want to choose Ice, because I also like to garden. A tricky one...
I know I wouldn't be air though.
So I guess I'll choose water, which has ice, which includes air in a distant way. In this way, one could consider that everyone is every element, just that certain ones are stronger. Although it probably works that way anyways.

Quote from: Raist on September 19, 2007, 02:40:47 PM
I may have to stop adding "Potato" to my polls, it's stealing all the answers.
heh :)

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on September 19, 2007, 09:42:32 PM
TIn this way, one could consider that everyone is every element, just that certain ones are stronger. Although it probably works that way anyways.

I used to think that after taking an online quiz called "which type of mage are you?" in which every answer applied to me, enough so that they almost could have been chosen randomly.(I tended to get "Time" as a result.)

I changed my mind when I got a good look at the results for a "Harry Potter Sorting Hat" quiz.  Nearly all of the other posters on the board had a clear slope: one house they strongly belonged in, two houses which were evenly in the middle, and one house where they clearly would not belong.

I tripped the "default" answer by getting the most balanced answer possible(13 all, except 12 for Slytherin.  Stuck me in Griffyndor.), indicating that perhaps it wasn't intentional that everything seems to apply to me.

Perhaps you're the same way.

Fuyudenki

Animation is hard!

I mean, 3D animation is OK, because you know that every frame is going to be computer-drawn, and you can look at the animation and tweak it without having to re-draw it every time, but 2D animation's another beast, entirely.  Adding in-between frames isn't as easy as telling the computer I want to run at 30 frames per second, instead of 15.  I've gotta go in and draw them!

The "standing" animation only looks as good as it does because I got to select and move most of it.  His pectoral muscles(they look like moobs to me...) are all twitchy because I got the bright idea that his ribs should expand and contract as he breathes.

Maybe if I shift the head a bit, it'll work.

(the image I'm talking about is "standing.gif", in the first post.  Currently posted as an image, not a link.)

Tapewolf

Cool.  Now I'm curious about the game engine.  The last platformer I made was for DOS, and would run quite nicely on a 286.  In protected-mode, no less, which conventional wisdom said was impossible.  Sadly I can't claim that particular feat for my own.  The underlying graphics library was written from scratch and proved faster than several commercially available libraries.

Are you using SDL or Allegro, or straight to the OS libraries?  Come to that, which platforms does it run on?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Fuyudenki

The entire class is using Microsoft XNA Game Studio Express.  It'll run on pretty much anything running Win XP, Vista, or the Xbox 360's Dashboard system.

Certain other restrictions are in place, which are influencing the nature of the product.  Also, I calculate I'll need about 3x as many frames as I'm budgeted for.  Fortunately, I may be able to offload about 20% of the work on someone else.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raist on September 23, 2007, 04:21:56 PM
The entire class is using Microsoft XNA Game Studio Express.  It'll run on pretty much anything running Win XP, Vista, or the Xbox 360's Dashboard system.

As someone who's seen so many technologies and libraries die - especially Microsoft ones - I really don't know what to say to that.  Still, good luck with the project.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Fuyudenki

Eh, it's for a grade, not for cash.  After the class is done, I'd kinda like to take everything and port it over to a different engine and make a "real" game out of it.

Made a newer version of the animation.  Now with an extra frame!(wasn't as hard, this time.)

xHaZxMaTx

His arms are inflating and deflating in the second animation.  Is he wearing Anchor Arms? (SpongeBob reference.)

Fuyudenki

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on September 23, 2007, 05:03:28 PM
His arms are inflating and deflating in the second animation.  Is he wearing Anchor Arms? (SpongeBob reference.)

*giggly giggly* you may be right.  I'll show my other team members and ask what they think before changing it, though.

I should draw a walking animation before the end of the day.

Shadrok

I like the way the shoulders look in the first better then in the second, but the chest moves better in the second then in the first.

Quote from: Raist on September 22, 2007, 09:14:06 PM
Animation is hard!

I mean, 3D animation is OK, because you know that every frame is going to be computer-drawn, and you can look at the animation and tweak it without having to re-draw it every time,
That's one reason I like 3D better myself, though it does have its share of problems too. Such as having the program go all stupid on you and mess up an animation. Which makes you have to go back and fix the error not knowing what caused it half the time.

Let's just say it can be pretty frustrating to have a guy driving a car with his hands on the steering wheel, only to find out later after you've rendered it that the program has decided the guy should have both his hands hanging out the window.

As for 2D one thing that helps is to have a dope sheet.

One book I can suggest if your thinking of doing more animations is "The Animator's Survival Kit" By Richard Williams.

Fuyudenki

thankee, Shadrok, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I've never had a problem with the computer second-guessing me, but then, I've worked with some pretty "dumb" animation programs.  It's definitely easier to splat a character out onto paper than it is to model, texture, and rig one, though.

Sienna Maiu - M T

okay... don't get upset, but... I like the first one better. Where it looks like he's breathing. The second looks like he's flexing, but then the upper arm there balloons out too much, just at the last bit.
I like the third as well. Well... I suppose it does look a little out of sync. Around the area of the lower muscle of the upper arm and the head's up and down movement.

xHaZxMaTx

The first one still looks the best, in my opinion.  The third one still has the Anchor Arms thing goin' on.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on September 23, 2007, 09:32:22 PM
okay... don't get upset, but... I like the first one better. Where it looks like he's breathing. The second looks like he's flexing, but then the upper arm there balloons out too much, just at the last bit.
I like the third as well. Well... I suppose it does look a little out of sync. Around the area of the lower muscle of the upper arm and the head's up and down movement.

why would I get upset?  It's not like I'm baring my soul to you in the form of art.

oh wait...

Seriously, though, why would I get upset?  I want the animations to look as good as possible.

I see what you and Hazmat are talking about, though.  Fortunately, the Anchor Arms thing should only be a problem for that one animation.

or if he enters an anchor-throwing competition with a certain space-suit-clad Texan squirrel.

Sienna Maiu - M T

It's just that... you changed the image twice, when all along the first could more than just suffice.