Random Huggles (II)

Started by xHaZxMaTx, July 03, 2007, 01:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frosty the Pyro

Yay hugs, gratci Gabbi, and of course I am still alive, I am indestructable, despite attempts by cars and spleens.  I am just insanely busy with engineering classes (I did however figure out what i need to do to seperate diethyl eather from methanol and ehtanol, yay!

xHaZxMaTx

Missed yesterday, so two hugs, tonight.

Jim Halisstrad and ITOS are hug'd. :3

LionHeart

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 14, 2007, 12:07:00 AM
Wee, I suck and owe 9 hugs! :P

*Cracks knuckles...*
[bunch of other peeps]
And LionHeart

And a welcome surprise it was, too. Thank you.

That makes... *checks inbox* ...six I've received now.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Gabi

Nice, Frosty!

Now Kibin gets another hug.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

techmaster-glitch

Yes, I have finaly decided to shift my metal ass back into hug gear and start giving ot random robo hggles again. I've been meaning to do it for some time now, bt thanks to Gabi for her post in the PAY thread that finally gave me the guilty concience kick to the arse that's got me moving again. Anyway...

The return Random Robo Huggle goes to ChaoSynergy!

Gabi

Welcome back! :)

Mel Dragonkitty gets a hug today. :)

I like giving hugs to nice people (whether or not their characters are nice :mowwink).

Mel Dragonkitty

My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

xHaZxMaTx

Yes, I missed two hugs, I'm awesome. :B

Slacker Spice, Aisha deCabre, and Prof B Hunnydew are all hugged. ^_^

Gabi

I missed a hug too. It goes to the new member ZanderWebb.

And today's hug goes to insanekaosx.

Faerie Alex

Bah. Stewpid school with its stewpid homeworks eating up my time. (And musicals. Those were fun.)

So, it looks like I owe 5 huggles tonight. They go to:
AmigaDragon
Schol-R-LEA
Kesh
Dard
96Zack96
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Gabi

And I'm giving superluser a hug tuday.

Don

Quote from: modelincard on November 21, 2007, 10:19:31 PM
Bah. Stewpid school with its stewpid homeworks eating up my time. (And musicals. Those were fun.)

So, it looks like I owe 5 huggles tonight. They go to:
AmigaDragon
Schol-R-LEA
Kesh
Dard
96Zack96

Woot, I has another hug that makes three now, thanks.

Faerie Alex

You're welcome.

Taski gets hugs tonight.

Anri

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 14, 2007, 11:55:01 PM
Woo, over 1,000 served! :D

Tonight's hug goes to Karu Dragon. :3

Eek! :D <3

Though I only got it tonight because I think my spam filter ate the notification. O_o

Gabi

superluser gets another hug! Wow, 2 in a row!

superluser

I think I've got 4 or 5 random hugs, now.

Much appreciated, but are you sure this thing's really random?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

There's three or four people hugging, every day. There's only 300 or so that have logged in in the last month. Maybe 400, if we round up a lot.

That means in 3 months, everyone gets one hug. But it's truly random, so some get more. *shrug*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Reese Tora

Quote from: superluser on November 23, 2007, 04:47:57 PM
I think I've got 4 or 5 random hugs, now.

Much appreciated, but are you sure this thing's really random?

:)

If it wasn't random, you wouldn't have gotten two hugs so close together. :P
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

llearch n'n'daCorna

I went and counted. We have 340 members who have logged in in the last 31 days.

But then, we've got something like 140 or so who have logged in the last 24 hours. Go figure.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Faerie Alex

I've noticed there doesn't seem to be as much of a middle zone.

Of huggles, Teroniss gets tonight's.

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 23, 2007, 05:50:49 PMThat means in 3 months, everyone gets one hug. But it's truly random, so some get more. *shrug*

Actually, I've gotten six.

I've gotten 4 from Gabi, and one from each of modelincard and xHaZxMaTx (or however he's spelling it these days) between January 18 and today.

By my calculations, at 5 hugs/day and 340 members, everyone gets a hug every 68 days.  In the 310 day period, I should have been hugged 4.56 times.  That means that I'm getting just over 30% more than I should, which suggests that there may be a problem with the random number generator.  Without knowing what sigma is, I can't tell if it's statistically significant (and I'm surely not going to calculate the standard deviation for all the members), but given 34.1% of a normal distribution lies between the average and one deviation, that makes it pretty likely that I'm a statistically significant aberration.

Of course, given my life, it comes as no surprise that I'm a deviant and a statistical anomaly.  Again, not that I'm complaining.  I've been down recently, so some virtual huggles aren't unwelcome.

xHaZxMaTx

It's random! :U  Of course there are going to be anomalies.

And on that note, I have, yet again, missed two hugs, because I am, yet again, awesome like that.
The newb, Zock (0 posts), Sienna Maiu - M T, and Regal are all hugged. :3

superluser

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 24, 2007, 02:03:41 AMIt's random! :U  Of course there are going to be anomalies.

Just because it's random doesn't mean that it's normal.  ( http://xkcd.com/221/ )

The RAND Corporation published a book of a million random digits with instructions on how to use them, but if you just start at page one and start copying them down, it's suddenly much less random.

Maybe Gabi's generator has a bad seed or something (I'm not sure how LavaRand works, except that it has something to do with motion lamps).  I should have gotten .912 hugs from her, so I'm 339% over quota.

Reese Tora

Quote from: superluser on November 24, 2007, 02:32:33 AM
Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 24, 2007, 02:03:41 AMIt's random! :U  Of course there are going to be anomalies.

Just because it's random doesn't mean that it's normal.  ( http://xkcd.com/221/ )

The RAND Corporation published a book of a million random digits with instructions on how to use them, but if you just start at page one and start copying them down, it's suddenly much less random.

Maybe Gabi's generator has a bad seed or something (I'm not sure how LavaRand works, except that it has something to do with motion lamps).  I should have gotten .912 hugs from her, so I'm 339% over quota.

Gabi has previously stated that she uses Rand.org, which takes it's seed from static in a web cam.

True randomness will create anomalies, high and low points, which can't be predicted before hand.  Uniformity is not true randomness, though sufficiently high random numbers will approach it.  Given the sample size verses the possible outcomes, I don't think we've a sufficiently large data set to see any sort of uniformity, since we;ve had just over 1000 hugs distriduted over a constantly changing possible result set (constantly changing due to additions and departures to and from the members list, and those going in and out of inactivity.)

those of us regularly active have a higher probability of hugs, as do those who have been here longer (how many of those 300 some odd members you mentioned were here a month ago? two months? in january?)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Sienna Maiu - M T

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 24, 2007, 02:03:41 AM
It's random! :U  Of course there are going to be anomalies.

And on that note, I have, yet again, missed two hugs, because I am, yet again, awesome like that.
The newb, Zock (0 posts), Sienna Maiu - M T, and Regal are all hugged. :3

psh, only you would have the timing to drag me back here (after not having been hugged for months) just when I decide to restrict and limit my own usage :P
But, thank-you though ^-^

Guess I could have waited from before, eh?

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on November 24, 2007, 04:09:48 AM
psh, only you would have the timing to drag me back here (after not having been hugged for months) just when I decide to restrict and limit my own usage :P

Yet more evidence to support the 'not-so-random' theory! :O

Sienna Maiu - M T

Possibly...
or you're just a jerk.

(although the six months without hug is random)

Gabi

I use Robbie's v4 script these days, which in turn uses LavaRnd, which uses webcam noise, which is as random as it gets.

And it has chosen TheAuldGrump to get a hug today.

Note that in a truly random (infinite) sequence of numbers you can find every possible subsequence. It was only a matter of time before someone received 2 hugs in a row.

Gabi

...And before I made 2 posts in a row, it seems. GreenReaper gets a hug today.

Faerie Alex

Bah. I R much lazy. :<

Aldoun and Pretzel get hugs tonight.