Random Huggles (II)

Started by xHaZxMaTx, July 03, 2007, 01:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techmaster-glitch

Oh, by the way, even though the odds of this happening quickly are insane, who's on the list of "people you don't hug"? Isn't ther only two or three? I know Zina's one.

xHaZxMaTx

Gabi

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on August 21, 2007, 02:06:51 PM
It sure was. :)
Then it was Random Hug #700! Congratulations, Kenji!

And welcome to the hugging crew, techmaster-glitch!

Quote from: DarkAudit on August 21, 2007, 10:11:01 PM
And so, Nyssa gets my huggle tonight.  :hug
DarkAudit, what randomizer are you using?

bilbo-sama gets a hug today.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

techmaster-glitch

Alrighty, using the right numbers for the randomizer (Took five trys, llearch said to only give huggles to peeps who have logged on no more than a month ago),
Terrycloth gets the second :robo :hug!!!

DarkAudit

Quote from: Gabi on August 22, 2007, 06:55:16 AM

Quote from: DarkAudit on August 21, 2007, 10:11:01 PM
And so, Nyssa gets my huggle tonight.  :hug
DarkAudit, what randomizer are you using?

I used random.org. Once for A-Z, then again for how many members had that letter.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

techmaster-glitch

There's an easier way that llearch just beat into me (my pride, at least :B).
First, click on the profile of the newest member down at the bottom. In the address bar, look at the last set of numbers. That's the "real" number of users. Put that number into the randomizer, but keep the profile window open. Once you have your random number, go to the profile window again, in the address bar, replace the last set of numbers with your new random number. If you get an active user, hurrah. If you don't, try again.

Also, I think you might want to only send hugs to people who have logged on no more than a month ago. That's what llearch said anyways. I'm not sure if that is the policy the others follow, but that's what I'm doing for now until someone says that's wrong.

And, are you becoming a real regular Random Huggler? If so, you name should probably be added to the first post in the list of Hugglers ;) Just ask Hazmatx.

Faerie Alex

There's no official policy on who to give hugs to (except of course, who to not to give to). Methinks most of us go by the one month rule. You can use whatever you want, be it that or something else.

Of huggles, Tapewolf gets tonight's.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

xHaZxMaTx

No official policy, as modelin said, but it makes sense; no sense in wasting a hug on someone who won't be getting it.

Boy, using the method tech suggested sure takes a while.  It's about a one in two chance that the profile you're looking for is deleted, and then you have to find a profile that's been active within the last month. :mowdizzy  After all that, however, Goatmon gets hugged. :3

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on August 22, 2007, 11:47:31 PM
Boy, using the method tech suggested sure takes a while.  It's about a one in two chance that the profile you're looking for is deleted, and then you have to find a profile that's been active within the last month. :mowdizzy 
Wha...I...eh... That's...the only way I've figured out how to do it  :mowsad, and it's what llearch seemed to imply to me... but that's not what he was suggesting?... I missed again?

I AM PHAIL. :cry

xHaZxMaTx

When did I say that?  I was just saying it took a while.  Then again, it's certainly easier than counting up and down the member list.

techmaster-glitch

Oh, actually counting the list is what you do? That was the first thing I tried, but when I brought it up, llearch said that was inneficient, or words to that effect, then linked and implied something about actual profile numbers. I was going to ask him to explain what it was he was trying to suggest, but then I figued out the method you just borowed. I thought that was what llearch was trying to clue me in on.

When I was saying that I missed again, I was talking about llearch's suggestions for a "better way" than counting.

Tapewolf

Quote from: modelincard on August 22, 2007, 09:21:18 PM
Of huggles, Tapewolf gets tonight's.
I had one last week.  Are you sure you're doing this right?   :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

Yes, that's random for you, JP.

techmaster-glitch, an old story about a man, his son and a donkey springs to my mind. Let me know if you don't know it. In any case, it's impossible to please everyone and there's no reason for you to try to do so. Just do what suits you better.

In my case, I sort the member list by postcount (standing on this page leaves me at most a click away from the page I need) and then use LavaRnd (or my randomizer which uses LavaRnd) to get a number between 1 and 360, say n. Then I pick the nth number from that list and check if the user has logged in within the last 30 days. Repeat until success. It's a bit annoying to search through the 60 members on any given page, but it has a decent chance of success as I won't get deleted profiles, most people among the top 360 posters are fairly active, and people who are active normally make it to the top 360 posters within a few days of joining.

But that's what I do, it may or may not be the best option for you. You do what you feel most comfortable with.

And the new random hugger DarkAudit gets a random hug!

DarkAudit

The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Gabi on August 23, 2007, 07:09:53 AM
techmaster-glitch, an old story about a man, his son and a donkey springs to my mind. Let me know if you don't know it. In any case, it's impossible to please everyone and there's no reason for you to try to do so. Just do what suits you better.

In my case, I sort the member list by postcount (standing on this page leaves me at most a click away from the page I need) and then use LavaRnd (or my randomizer which uses LavaRnd) to get a number between 1 and 360, say n. Then I pick the nth number from that list and check if the user has logged in within the last 30 days. Repeat until success. It's a bit annoying to search through the 60 members on any given page, but it has a decent chance of success as I won't get deleted profiles, most people among the top 360 posters are fairly active, and people who are active normally make it to the top 360 posters within a few days of joining.

But that's what I do, it may or may not be the best option for you. You do what you feel most comfortable with.
Ah, I do know that story; "If you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one". Hm. I just thought there was a standard method that you guys had already figured out amongst yourselves, and I was trying to figure out what that was.
But I guess I was trying way too hard. I've figured out a good way myself, it works for me. Like Hazmatx said, it can take some time, but at least I don't have to go manually counting through the list.
Thanks, Gabi.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hey, I wasn't saying you should count. I was merely saying that that's not what -I'd- do.

But then, if I went into this, I'd probably look at automating something like what Robbie wrote. :-] 'cause I'm lazy like that...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

My robo-huggle of today goes to candide!

Faerie Alex

velociraptured gets tonight's huggle.

Faerie Alex

Tikki gets teh huggle tonight.

Gabi

Shadrok gets a late hug or an early following-day hug.

xHaZxMaTx

Random.org is on the fritz, so I had to use LavaRnd.

New member Gyr and EspyLacopa are hugged.  Two hugs, because I missed last night.

On a related note, this method takes forever-and-a-half. :<

techmaster-glitch

I've been really, really busy tonight. My first DnD game in a really long time. I'll be giving out two hugs tomorrow (hopefully). Cya.

Gabi

ShiningShadow gets today's (second?) hug from me.

Faerie Alex

Tonight's huggled peep is KarmikCykle.

Gabi

I'm hugging Grenn in advance because I won't be able to give a random hug tomorrow.

Shadrok

Quote from: Gabi on August 24, 2007, 11:36:08 PM
Shadrok gets a late hug or an early following-day hug.

Thanks Gabi.

xHaZxMaTx

LoneHowler gets tonight's hug.  Maybe he won't be so lonely, now. :3

techmaster-glitch

Ubercruddies. My DnD shite went on for much longer than I expected. It's all over now, but unfortunately I have to leave the compy like, right after checking the posts around here. No time for huggles :cry
But I will, on pain of death, give out all three huggles owed tomorrow :)
Apologies for my f-ed up schedule.

techmaster-glitch

Ok, I am now finally able catch up...

First :robo :hug goes to...Moekii!!
Second :robo :hug goes to...Tikki!!

On anothe note, the method I've been using hasn't given me any deleted numbers...until now, and it gave me three in a row :erk

Third :robo :hug goes to...SkipSanders!!

There. All my robo-huggles of randomness and community bonding are paid out :)

Faerie Alex

RJ gets tonight's huggle.
If I might ask tech, what are you using :robo to mean?