Okay, so I'm back

Started by Sienna Maiu - M T, July 31, 2007, 03:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sienna Maiu - M T

yeah, like I've been here all along anyways.
So, my harddrive long ago died and I've been without computer for quite awhile now, and now I'm to be away from any whatsoever.
So I'm just apologizing to all those I owe things to (whether secret or not) and also I'm here to well... brag about being eightteen. I'm not entirely sure why I am, but I feel like it anyways.

See you all later then,
                  Sienna Maiu - Moonshine Tallgrass

Gabi

Ouch! I hope you can fix things soon, I'd ask for details but you're not likely to see the questions, so whenever you come back... it will be nice to see you again.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

Take care...And hope see you again sometime

Fuyudenki

Ah, computer lossedness sucks.  I think we've all had it happen.

Being away from computers entirely, however, can be good for you.  Read a book or two, that's what I do when my family drags me off on vacation.

Also, I gave you a Happy Birthday in the Happy Birthday thread.  Happy 18th, then.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Aww... thank-you :mowhappy

So, atleast it managed to survive the school year though, right? Anyway, my brother is working on fixing up a new one, but he tried to set it up three times before he realized that the new one didn't work either. Also, we're going to try and get an external USB for the old fried one to try and get those files off (so many... *gurgles*). In the mean time I have very minimalized access to computers, right now I'm sneaking onto my dad's because I'm supposed to be packing for a weekend camp.

But isn't that just my luck, that Miss Amber would start her thrice-per-weekly updates just before I must depart?

Alas my luvs, I must cheese-it as a parental interverance is on her way.

superluser

Depending on how dead the hard drive is, you might be interested in this utility (forgot about it until now):

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

The test TestDisk gives is sort of a final exam for your futzed partition block, quizzing your unreadable drive for tell-tale NTFS, HFS+, Ext3 or what-have-you data, and cribbing the lost partition data from what it finds.  PHOTOREC gives up on such fripperies as a filing system and instead grubs directly on the drive for file data, spotting beginnings for popular file formats and having a stab at where their ends might be hanging.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Note that you should probably start with other things first.

That sort of messing around is much easier with images, because they have clearly defined beginning and ending sequences.

document files are more likely to be corrupted, etc.

If the filesystem is still intact, then you're pretty much golden for getting data off. It's just a matter of organising it.

Fuyudenki

I repair computers, sometimes, maybe I could take a look at it.

wait, no, that would require living within the same city, let alone state.

Good luck, anyway.

For my piece, I use the CompUSA external enclosures.  They have a fair price, and work pretty well.

Sienna Maiu - M T

For the most part I really don't know much about the situation, just that my brother's working on it. I was able to turn it on once after it got busted, but figured it best to not leave it on. Now it won't work at all (well, I only tried it once).
My brother has taken it out long ago by now (well, a couple of weeks anyways) but he's afraid it's going to asplode if he puts it into his computer to work on it because it keeps making noises, hence the external USB-reader thing.

Yeah... I really don't know much about the situation. Despite staying-up three or so hours a couple weeks ago with him to learn a bit about the computer, *pht* like that actually worked.

James StarRunner

Aww... so that's what happened. I know exactly what you had to go through (except I guess my problem was more than a faulty harddrive...

We've been missing you though.  :hug

Sienna Maiu - M T

Yeah well... that and I'm lazy.
Even if I had computer access though, I probably would be too busy anyways with chores and things to ever get time to get on anyways *eyeroll*

Would it be too much to ask though that somebody do the same thing for me as last year? Like, how I like to be on the up-and-up, can somebody screenshot the rants for me for the rest of August? Please?

And Now I think I'm seriously leaving. :P

Edit: Oh by the way James, did you know your forum isn't working? I tried posting something months ago and then just a few days past and it's not working...

Sienna Maiu - M T

Yeah well, now that's it. This is my last night, so I'm out.

I drew a picture... but I still don't have a scanner, so add onto that my dead harddrive, and you can see why I've been so inactive.

techmaster-glitch

I never really knew you, but I have seen you around. I will add my farewell to this, you will be missed.

I hope that you may someday be able to return.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Perhaps in the Autumn some time *snicker*
You sound so dramatic!

ITOS

See you some time in the Autumn. Have fun doing whatever it is you will be doing and if it's not something fun... don't do it. :razz
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Sienna Maiu - M T

And I'm back! Only to be soon gone once more!

Did anyone get me rants? :<

Zedd

Not much really...All though Amber is right about the soda

Sienna Maiu - M T

As the title entails, I'm leaving again. So, could someone please screenshot the rants for me? I like knowing what's going on, especially when it's something quirky...

So then, I'm away to Ottowa, love y'all lots.

But in anycase, I had fun at Choral Camp. More on that later (perhaps.)

superluser

Re: Does anybody live where I'm going?

I think I missed this.  Where are you going?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

xHaZxMaTx

Sienna Maiu - M T

And I only managed to draw like one picture... *sigh*
Although I did write a poem last night when I got back, had managed to add a verse to a song I've been writing during my trip, and started a new song last night as well. So I suppose good times were had during my trip when in comes to the literary world. I got a few new ideas and trains of thought as well :mwaha

So, I'm willing to bet that nobody documented the rants for me...  I don't know... maybe I should have offered some sort of reward. You know, like "get me the rants and I'll do something artsy for you" but I thought that would just lower my chances.

Well... I'm away to work. And then school, I guess in a week.
If I want to spend more time here I guess I really should stop reading so much...

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on August 30, 2007, 11:19:14 AMSo, I'm willing to bet that nobody documented the rants for me...
I would have done it, but I was sure someone else was going to.  Woo, go lazy. :B  I'll do it next time, how's that? :)

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on August 30, 2007, 11:47:00 AM
Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on August 30, 2007, 11:19:14 AMSo, I'm willing to bet that nobody documented the rants for me...
I would have done it, but I was sure someone else was going to.  Woo, go lazy. :B  I'll do it next time, how's that? :)

Holy crap, that's EXACTLY what I thought.... whoopsie. Lesson learned. Apologies, Sienna

Sienna Maiu - M T

S'alright. I suppose it's really not possible to be anymore behind on things than I already am.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I figured Robbie was archiving them for his own immoral purposes, and I wasn't in town anyway...

You might drop him a pm...

Sienna Maiu - M T

I might just do that.
If I should ever figure out just who you're talking about. *shame*

xHaZxMaTx

Methinks llearch is referring to Robbie I.

llearch n'n'daCorna

My apologies, Sienna - I did indeed mean RobbieThe1st - I meant to go hunt his account up and paste it in, but, well... having just got back from holiday, work today was... slightly busy.

Having my cow-orker on a training course, and my other cow-orker out with a slipped disc, leaving me minding the fort alone, didn't help much. :-/

Still, it's all over for another day now. (it should be, it's 20 to midnight :-] )

Sienna Maiu - M T

That's quite alright llearch, you act as though you were at obligation to do it.  :mowtongue
And besides, it was partly my fault on the count of not knowing who Robbie was, on account of how we all know how I am, with my... shall we say abandonitive way?
(yes-yes, I know that's not a word)

But I'm making a New (School) Year Resolution to get back in touch with the forum people (especially if I'm going to plan for AC this summer) as well as certain other... academic persuits.