2007-05-30 [790] Nutmeg enjoys speaking in the third person

Started by superluser, May 30, 2007, 12:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reese Tora

Quote from: Manawolf on May 30, 2007, 02:54:58 AM
Not that hard, they are only shortspears.  It's a low level spell, and spontaneous casters love pimping out the same trick over at over (go with what works, as it were).  However, this is why it also proves futile, as their is no proper spell to make cold iron, being an anathema to magical creatures and magic itself to a degree.

But fae don't seem a very serious bunch, being the crazy lot they are, and thus they are probably just love stabs.

Unfortunately, most universes put creation of matter at the difficult end of the spectrum.  D&D (and RPGs in general) is the exception in that magic and abilities are ranked in diffuculty based on how useful thier effects are in a 'balanced' game setting.  The creation of matter, using matter in our own world as an example, would take billions of joules of energy (e=mc^2, to trot out a familiar formula), and the creation of a few grams of matter would require the energy to power a couple large cities for a while.  That puts the creation of matter at the high end of the magic skill spectrum.

I also believe that there are some examples somewhere in DMFA about created food and stuff, but I'm about to go to bed, so I don't have the time to find them just now.  Probably they're somewhere in the stuff about SAIA with Falina, though.

Now, Mab, being fae, has power to burn (Witness the nuking of her glade as a reflex reaction to her antenna getting yanked.) so greation of matter, even short lived matter, is obviously well within her ability.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Mwa

Isn't that a +3 Miniature Scythe Axe that Mab's about to stab with? Or have I got the perspective wrong. <_<;

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Reese Tora on May 30, 2007, 05:12:03 AM
Now, Mab, being fae, has power to burn (Witness the nuking of her glade as a reflex reaction to her antenna getting yanked.) so greation of matter, even short lived matter, is obviously well within her ability.

... Or the creation of Wildy's present, in front of Dan. That's creation of matter right there.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

kaskar

:mowninja With Wildy's present , didn't she make it more in the feeling of ' I don't mind, and you don't matter ' ...
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 30, 2007, 06:05:38 AM
Quote from: Reese Tora on May 30, 2007, 05:12:03 AM
... Or the creation of Wildy's present, in front of Dan. That's creation of matter right there.
:mowmeep  :mowhappy 
Quote from: Mwa on May 30, 2007, 05:19:00 AM
Isn't that a +3 Miniature Scythe Axe that Mab's about to stab with? Or have I got the perspective wrong. <_<;
:mowsmile At Birthdays and Christmas, wouldn't just be great to only have to go, ' Snootch to the Nootch !!! , and have all your present shopping chores done . ( re: #431 )

Edit:
Just adjusted your quotes, since you had your comments mixed into my quote...
  -- llearch
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Senko

Personally I'm inclined to think its less of "Poor Nutmeg has nothing to buy a soul for her baby with." and more of a "Nutmeg can't think of anything Mab needs/would accept from her to buy baby souls with." Or in more understandable terms Nutmeg has plenty of wealth as such things are measured but so does Mab and since Mab's angry at her she can't think of anything that she could use to convince Mab to give her a soul in exchange for. Think about it if you don't need/want material wealth, have plenty of power and are angry enough at someone to stab them repeatedly when you know it'll do you no good what would you accept in exchange for your parents soul/s when there's plenty of people you do like/are indifferent to who would also want them. I rather like Nutmeg though.

bill

I think Nutmeg, with her speech.  is actually Rickey Henderson. That is my theory, and I'm sticking with it.

"This is Rickey, calling on behalf of Rickey."

Aridas

Are you sure it wasn't teleportation?

Caswin

Hm... eyes...

Does it look to anyone else like Nutmeg's fur pattern kind of makes her look like she's crying?  Or like Mab has a lazy-eye thing going on?
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on May 30, 2007, 06:40:21 AM
Are you sure it wasn't teleportation?

Shush, you're ruining my ideas. ;-]

Aridas

But I have to! Who else is going to even things out?

Tapewolf

Nutmeg seems to be a bit loopy.  I like that.

In regards to creating matter, as Reese mentions, you've got e=mc² to contend with for a direct energy-to-mass conversion.  It's likely that the rule applies in Furrae too, if they are able to have similar science to ours.  This doesn't mean that it couldn't be circumvented somehow through magic of course, but I digress.  In any case, as he says, she can pour arbitrary amounts of power into the process.

Abel says he can create gold easily, but how he does that isn't clear.  In the FC roleplay, I reasoned that it would be easiest for a less-powerful Creature to transmute existing matter rather than creating it directly.  Indeed, for the FCRP I actually worked out the proton counts necessary to convert oxygen and nitrogen into gold... how many atoms of them you'd need to ensure that you got gold and no byproducts.  But that's because I take my hard SF very seriously.

If you can have hard science fiction in a magical world  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Paul

Quote from: Psaakyrn on May 30, 2007, 05:05:12 AM
Soo... how long before she makes use of her +2 voulge?
"She totally doesn't have the class skill to use that."  ;)

So... is Nutmeg speaking in the third person a fae version of pluralis majestatis or is she just bonkers?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Paul on May 30, 2007, 08:08:36 AM
So... is Nutmeg speaking in the third person a fae version of pluralis majestatis or is she just bonkers?

I vote bonkers.  It's more fun.

Stig Hemmer

Quote from: Paul on May 30, 2007, 08:08:36 AM

Is there a difference?
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

Tapewolf

Nutmeg's curious mode of speech has got me wondering what the exchange must have been like when she banished Mab.

"We hates it!  We hates it forever!"

Zedd

Madmann135

I Find it funny how the sweetest and seemingly most innocent in all of DMFA can scare others to the point of waiting for 100 or so years for a second opportunity. 

Also there is one thing you may want to think about.  Mab is someone who does not have much in the way of possessions.  Give her a glen (home), Pip and friends, and she's as happy as can be.  Dan and Mab's adventuring takes away the boredom and keep her bubbly, which is why she 'coaxed' Jyrras into letting her come along on his hiking venture.

My only question is this.  Is Mab like Dan and hides the weapons or is she materializing them so that she never runs out.  If she is materializing them why does she not just use an all metallic spear or a solid diamond one and save a little concentration.

Though one thing comes to mind.  Dan could have been a successful adventurer because he had Mab with him.  Mab is more observant than Dan and she indicated she went with him on many adventurers quests.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

techmaster-glitch

Actually, Nutmeg speaking in the third person reminds me of Caesar, from the Shakespear play The Tragedy of Julius Caesar.

stiletto

Fae must not "die" very often if Nutmeg is coming to Mab, with all the animosity between them.

techmaster-glitch

Netrogo

She seems less royal, more cutesy dimwit. It is rather amusing that the two classes of people you'll find refering to themselves in third person are either royalty or retarded though. I wonder if that's a sign of some kind...
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

GabrielsThoughts

I hate people who talk in the third person, I think the one third person I want to destroy most is "the brad" Because "the brad" is a jackass, and I too would grab a sharp pointy object if "the brad" came anywhere near me.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

kittenmoo

My ex husband spoke in 3rd person. and what was worse was he didn't say Matt this Matt that he actually referred to himself as "bear" 'A'

Netrogo

My keen psychic sense tells me this may be part of why he's your EX husband.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Kenji on May 30, 2007, 01:39:04 AM
Quote from: King Of Hearts on May 30, 2007, 01:36:12 AM
Next... Mab goes for a bat riddled with Barbed Wire...

E-C-W!

E-C-W!

E-C-W!

No UFC? "Ultimate Fae Championship".

Next..... Mab goes for the N64 *SMACK* right in the mush

E-C-W!

E-C-W!

E-C-W!

Anywho what's the deal with Nutmeg is she not the only one with a problem of not having a child if this is some kind of trap for Mabs, then I will wait for the results on this matter.

I have a suspicion that this plan is personal with Nutmeg and Mabs and we will see that in literal terms *CAT FIGHT* *MEWOTH.......* >:3

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: kittenmoo on May 30, 2007, 11:37:33 AM
My ex husband spoke in 3rd person. and what was worse was he didn't say Matt this Matt that he actually referred to himself as "bear" 'A'

erk. Yay for borderline psychosis.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Don't forget your novelty umbrella hat, and beware of anyone warning you to watch out for anyone warning you to watch out for people, they're probably allied with the people they're warning you to watch out for. And they're -ebil-.

kalika36

its hard to believe that Mab seems the "sanest" in the convo between her and Nutmeg. Nutmeg's thrid person speak is probably just a quirky charateristic that sets her apart much in the way that Mab's oddities set her apart, for instance her knack for taking everything Literally. It is interesting that they have a fancination with Huggles and hugging things in general.  It is also interesting how similar their personalities in general are when Mabby isnt the serious one.....me thinks and this is just a left field observation javascript:void(0);buck teeth that along time ago they were once close until Nutmeg became queen and in a rash desicion (because female fae's seem very rash--case in point Neni and Mab blowing up her glen) Nutmeg banished her friend out of anger and pride. Now she has to come crawling back and is going to prolly offer Mabby the Queenship (probably the cause of the fight....) that way she has something to offer in way of bartering for the soul. I take this perspective because I'm of the opinion that when Nutmeg became queen she gave up a lot of liberties and one of them might have been children....which would give her even more motivation to give the Queenship to Mab. 
And I dunno I get the feeling that with the Creature Council and all, that being "queen of the fae" is more of a figure head position to maintain tradition than an actual position of power because Nutmeg is no genius and slightly A.D.D. to a point she can't even hold the disguise of her own husband. And in that case if my screwball predicition is even close Mab should have no problem being queen.  :mowcookie

even if i'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off hopefully i'll be proven wrong by another exciting twist in the plot just for the fun lil visual of the real amber doing the twist in a grass skirt cracks me up everytime.  :eager

SpottedKitty

Looks like a harpoon to me. Could Mab be subtly trying to suggest Nutmeg could do with losing a little weight...?   
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Alan Garou

Shampoo no understand why Nutmeg no speak in first person.

Brunhidden

Quote from: SpottedKitty on May 30, 2007, 12:46:50 PM
Looks like a harpoon to me. Could Mab be subtly trying to suggest Nutmeg could do with losing a little weight...?   

correct, it is an old fashioned harpoon but it is not a whaling harpoon.

excuse the weapons buff

whaling harpoons were hinged with a curving tip shaped like a banana- once it pierced the whales skin it would be pulled back, but the curve would pivot the tip horizontal to the whale. this is the only way to take down a whale really, sinse one harpoon has no chance of killing something like that the harpoon is tied to a long sturdy rope affixed to the longboat...and here comes the dangerous part- everyone holds on as the whale swims away and hopes the boat is not torn apart. several hours later the whale gets tired and the crew of the longboat rows close to it and takes a long lance, heaving together to puncture the lung which makes the blow hole spout a fountain of blood.

this makes me wonder if mabb has a reason to use a harpoon on nutmeg.... it would be kinda cool to tie it off to a boat and have nutmeg drag you around the lake or something.

QuoteFrom hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.