well, I guess that nixxed my theory of how they reproduce. [5-9-07 #785]

Started by GabrielsThoughts, May 08, 2007, 08:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reese Tora

Quote from: superluser on May 08, 2007, 10:46:56 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on May 08, 2007, 10:35:52 PMMost Fae are pretty self-aware of what they are, so religion tends to never have a play in regards to Fae.

Ooh!  Then I guess a fae becoming a Buddhist would be really offensive to the fae.  :B

Anyways, I was more proposing a thought experiment--what happens if a fae actually attains Nirvana?  Like, the soul is actually obliterated and goes into nothingness from whence it will never return?  The fae dies, and they bring the soul to auction--but no soul?

What happens then?

(again, I'm just having fun--no need to respond)

The idea that a fae could reach nirvana and cease to exist (entierly) presupposes that souls work that way in DMFA.  From all evidence thus far, the soul doesn't seem to follow any cycle of death and rebirth. (except in the specific case of the fae and maybe phoenixes)

It seems much more likley that the souls in DMFA follow a more european afterlife cycle, going somewhere else after death.  The presence of magic, alternate dimensions, demons, and angels seem to bear that out, though we havn't seen much on the cosmology of DMFA either.

I suppose we'll have to trick Amber into doing another donation drive for an afterlife and/or cosmology mini arc if we want conclusive proof. :3
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Whitemagebishieboy

Quote from: Rythak on May 09, 2007, 01:16:28 AM
Why would you want to die?! with a lifespan like that any of your problems can be worked out with time.

Solve one problem and you have two new ones to deal with. After a few hundred years of being swamped in problems, suicide looks like a good option.
Thats totally ignoring the fae point of view on it, to them suicide is going to be a very natural end and something they know there going to do from a young age.

Ouai

Quote from: Kenji on May 09, 2007, 01:18:17 AM
Quote from: Rythak on May 09, 2007, 01:16:28 AM
Also on a more OT note does it seem weird to anyone else the spelling of "funeral"?

Can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter" and ya can't spell "funeral" without "real fun."
You do the math.
and Thats why people become evil, for the real fun laughter :mwaha

Tsunari

I have a few more idea on how Mab could become queen.  The bloodline is one.  But there is also the chance that the seat of Fae monarchy will be auctioned off to Mab so that the current monarch could become a parent. 

For an Auction, I would imagine a lot of roles on Earth and in Faeland would be the things that are value.  I have this much legal money and I own a huge business in secret.  Would you like to go play that role it's all set up to go without any extra work on your part.

fakelike

I thought that the speculations are roundabout attempts to find out more about DMFA Fae, but I guess not.  Hopefully, this arc will answer some of those questions and provide more Shakespearian references.

In a side note, Shakespeare's Mab was said to have been influenced by a Celtic goddess fairy of the same name, so I'm curious if there will be Celtic references as well.

Fuyudenki

This suddenly clarifies a lot of the "mysteries" of the Fae entry in the Demo101 page.  Great job, Albanion, you ruined the mysteries of the entire world in less than five minutes!

Hmm.  Kinda seems like making dandelions able to grow in solid concrete.

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 08, 2007, 10:35:52 PM
Most Fae are pretty self-aware of what they are, so religion tends to never have a play in regards to Fae.  They know that when they "die", they are gone for good...as they basically are giving up whatever they are in order to be recycled into a completly new personality.  So pretty much they don't have a heaven or hell or religious afterlife to look forward to, just oblivion in exchange for a new individual to be born.

I'm suddenly very happy that I'm not a Fae.

Tsunari

Only thing that could kill of the fae would be what would happen if all fae decided at the same moment that it is time to go.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Tsunari on May 09, 2007, 02:36:51 AM
Only thing that could kill of the fae would be what would happen if all fae decided at the same moment that it is time to go.

and then one fae ruins it for everyone and decides not to die... and then has to give birth to all the remaining fae... thus reshaping fae society as thier queen (or king? how would that work? never mind  D: )
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

King Of Hearts

Lupus, Lupus, Lupus... I made you out of clay...

Lupus, Lupus, Lupus, with Lupus I shall Play...

Illusionist

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

King Of Hearts

Zedd

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 08, 2007, 10:35:52 PM
Most Fae are pretty self-aware of what they are, so religion tends to never have a play in regards to Fae.  They know that when they "die", they are gone for good...as they basically are giving up whatever they are in order to be recycled into a completly new personality.  So pretty much they don't have a heaven or hell or religious afterlife to look forward to, just oblivion in exchange for a new individual to be born.

That's a pretty bleak outlook.  Not that they have an awful lot of choice in the matter - besides not dying.

This does leave me wondering what would have happened if Dark Pegasus had succeeded in sacrificing Mab's soul, though.  At a guess it would either have left the DMFA universe with one less Fae, or more likely whether it would have caused Mab to have been reborn with the Dark God's personality.  Assuming of course that the Dark God does exist and isn't a figment of DP's religious fervour.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cemalidor

Quote from: Zedd on May 09, 2007, 04:26:30 AM
Quote from: King Of Hearts on May 09, 2007, 03:52:52 AM
Soylent Pink are fairies! SOYLENT PINK ARE FAIRIES!

I wouldnt eat a thing after that
lol, i'm really curious about that auction. Mab at least did a hasty departure.  :mowmeep
Imagine Dan would follow her, enter the auction hall, waving to greet her/getting her attention and 'making' so the highest bid.... o_O

VioletDusk

So...what if a non-fae couple were to win the auction? Would they be able to have a fae baby?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Violet Dusk on May 09, 2007, 08:25:06 AM
So...what if a non-fae couple were to win the auction? Would they be able to have a fae baby?
It's probably taking place within the Fae realm where no-one else can get to it.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 09, 2007, 08:36:39 AM
Quote from: Violet Dusk on May 09, 2007, 08:25:06 AMSo...what if a non-fae couple were to win the auction? Would they be able to have a fae baby?
It's probably taking place within the Fae realm where no-one else can get to it.

(well, fae or drakes)

Or they just don't allow non-fae to bid.  Or the currency is something intrinsic that only fae have.  Still, it's an interesting concept, and something that I will not speculate on here, since it would probably require altering the furrae reality.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Cemalidor

Was Mab's first Hangout within the realm? That she blow up after getting her antennas zipped? Didn't remember properly if it really was another fae who got her there. *Forgive my maybe bad english, but since i'm german and the spellchecker is blocked at work... :rolleyes *

superluser

Quote from: Cemalidor on May 09, 2007, 09:27:38 AMWas Mab's first Hangout within the realm? That she blow up after getting her antennas zipped? Didn't remember properly if it really was another fae who got her there.

I'm off to work, so you'll have to find the strip, yourself, but I think the glen is just a physical place that she uses to access the fae realm.

Edit: I lied.  Here's the strip.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

EspyLacopa

Quote from: Wanderer on May 08, 2007, 08:28:03 PM
Quote from: Marmonstein on May 08, 2007, 08:22:54 PM
I wonder how the number was decided on. Did all the Fae just magically show up in the beginning?
No one knows. Or at least, Amber isn't telling. Fae may well be the least-understood race on Furrae. Not, I suspect, through lack of trying, but rather because no one can confirm that any of their "facts" are actually true, or just the result of some Fae playing a game.

But I could be wrong.
Like the Fae in the comic might be doing right now?

Say, maybe that's why Falina said this. . .

Kenji

Quote from: Zedd on May 09, 2007, 04:26:30 AM
Quote from: King Of Hearts on May 09, 2007, 03:52:52 AM
Soylent Pink are fairies! SOYLENT PINK ARE FAIRIES!

I wouldnt eat a thing after that

But years of sunshine and lollipop magic might make em taste pretty good!

Starcat5

Quote from: EspyLacopa on May 09, 2007, 09:32:54 AM
Quote from: Wanderer on May 08, 2007, 08:28:03 PM
Quote from: Marmonstein on May 08, 2007, 08:22:54 PM
I wonder how the number was decided on. Did all the Fae just magically show up in the beginning?
No one knows. Or at least, Amber isn't telling. Fae may well be the least-understood race on Furrae. Not, I suspect, through lack of trying, but rather because no one can confirm that any of their "facts" are actually true, or just the result of some Fae playing a game.

But I could be wrong.
Like the Fae in the comic might be doing right now?

Say, maybe that's why Falina said this. . .

Here's a thought: Maybe the arc title is refering to Mab's previous life, rather than being about her becoming Queen. Heck, for all we know, the reason for Mab leaving the Fae Kingdom in the first place was fallout from her time as Queen Mab catching up with her in her current life.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Alondro

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 09, 2007, 05:10:34 AM
This does leave me wondering what would have happened if Dark Pegasus had succeeded in sacrificing Mab's soul, though.  At a guess it would either have left the DMFA universe with one less Fae, or more likely whether it would have caused Mab to have been reborn with the Dark God's personality.  Assuming of course that the Dark God does exist and isn't a figment of DP's religious fervour.

Now there's a good point.  But we must note that Dark Pegasus had to perform a very complex ritual for this, thus it's not something one can do on an everyday basis.  With the power a fae soul obviously posseses, it makes perfect sense that it'd be something needed to ressurect a Dark God.   :3

There's another way Mab could become queen.  And I don't mean by 'buying' the position.  Nah, not gonna explain further.  Could ruin the funny.   ;)  I'll simply mention the burden of thousands of years of reign.

I suppose death wouldn't mean anything in a world where souls of many beings are simply devoured every day.  As long as their soul energy goes on, so does the fae race.  But still, I must wonder why they would choose to die.  They must be emo or something... either that or their world is really really boring.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

nikename2

Well I could think of a few reasons why they would choose death. If your death is basically whenever you will it to, then your essentially immortal. And once you reach a point where you've done practically anything and everything, and have complete understanding of all, death would be the only thing left. Having limitless understanding, you would be driven to boredom, and potentially insanity. Mabye Mab's parents are on the brink of insanity and are doing this because they don't want their power to become reckless and wild.  >:3

SkipSanders

What I find interesting is how casually Albanion reveals this 'secret of the Fae' to Jyrras.   From what we've been told, this sort of info has never been known outside the Fae themselves, other beings or creatures don't know what happens when a fae 'dies' during a role, etc. 

They knew that such fae seem to come back, after a while, but weren't sure if it was always, maybe, or whatever.

Now we suddenly have a fae leader chattily giving the exact fae census, and details of the fae life and death cycle, to Jyrras.  And seems quite ready to answer other questions, too.

Alondro

Quote from: Xeksue on May 09, 2007, 11:34:22 AM
Well I could think of a few reasons why they would choose death. If your death is basically whenever you will it to, then your essentially immortal. And once you reach a point where you've done practically anything and everything, and have complete understanding of all, death would be the only thing left. Having limitless understanding, you would be driven to boredom, and potentially insanity. Mabye Mab's parents are on the brink of insanity and are doing this because they don't want their power to become reckless and wild.  >:3

Well, I don't know about that.  Limitless understanding also means limitless creativity.  We can't even begin to imagine what something with that level of intelligence could come up with.  For imperfect beings to try and understand the mind of someone hypothetically 'perfect' is an exercise in futility.  

At any rate, the Fae don't quite seem to have limitless understanding.  Mab certainly hasn't been an obvious fountain of knowledge, and from what we've seen of them so far, they can be very forgetful.  Now, an endless life with a limited mind... that could become tortuous after a while.

*Charline peeks in*  Fae are dumb!  Cubi rock!   >:3  *she also suspects Ink of trying to steal a fae soul... in spite of his claims... to claim the throne of god in Furrae!*  Ye shall not trick me, you Aizen-like evil one!   :paranoid

Quote from: SkipSanders on May 09, 2007, 11:43:21 AM
What I find interesting is how casually Albanion reveals this 'secret of the Fae' to Jyrras.   From what we've been told, this sort of info has never been known outside the Fae themselves, other beings or creatures don't know what happens when a fae 'dies' during a role, etc. 

They knew that such fae seem to come back, after a while, but weren't sure if it was always, maybe, or whatever.

Now we suddenly have a fae leader chattily giving the exact fae census, and details of the fae life and death cycle, to Jyrras.  And seems quite ready to answer other questions, too.

*Charline grins*  Maybe he knows Jy doesn't have long to live.  Indeed, perhaps someone is planning to devour the little snack-rat just a little way down the lane!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

rabid_fox

"Nobody ever asked before."

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

once you reach a point where you've done practically anything and everything, and have complete understanding of all, death would be the only thing left. Having limitless understanding, you would be driven to boredom, and potentially insanity.

Dragons live for millions of years but don't seem to have this problem, though.

Quote from: Alondro on May 09, 2007, 11:22:12 AM
Now there's a good point.  But we must note that Dark Pegasus had to perform a very complex ritual for this, thus it's not something one can do on an everyday basis.  With the power a fae soul obviously posseses, it makes perfect sense that it'd be something needed to ressurect a Dark God.   :3

It also stands to reason that if it is possible to resurrect a god by using a Fae soul as an energy source, someone else must have done this in order to develop the spells DP was going to use.  I may be reading too much into the exact wording of Albanion's line but it seems to imply that the number is constant and unchanging, which suggests that DP wasn't intending to use her like some disposable battery.

On the other hand, if what he was intending to do was kill Mab like her parents are about to die, so that he can use her soul to create a new baby Fae  - without using parents - that also contains the Dark God's soul, I'd say that's also going to require some pretty nifty magic.   >:3

QuoteI suppose death wouldn't mean anything in a world where souls of many beings are simply devoured every day. 
Well, we don't really know how often that does happen in practice...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Mabye Mab's parents are on the brink of insanity and are doing this because they don't want their power to become reckless and wild.  >:3

.. more reckless and wild than it already is, given they've destroyed a restaurant over an aperitif?

... Assuming he's telling the truth.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears