Netami's Religion Thread

Started by Knight, May 03, 2007, 10:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knight

QuoteBiblical debates aside, it's general knowledge that satan was the angel of music.

So, with that gem, you pretty much discredit future comment from consideration.

Netami

What do you mean? I am open for debates on what exactly Satan was the angel of, if anything, or if he even exists or if he even deserved it or if, or if, or if.

HOWEVER! This is not the place to do so! General knowledge thus comes into play and people will have to understand the opinion of the masses in a situation where debating such fact is not even on topic.  If someone thought the sky green, in a thread about red pants, that is fine and dandy but this is not the thread about the sky! Most people assume the sky to be blue, and they will continue to do so in this thread of pants. If you wish to enlighten people otherwise, consder a sky thread. Or a satan thread.

Or maybe satan is somehow on topic and I am blowing hot air. Continue onward, downward, forward!

Darkmoon

Your wish is my command, Netami.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Knight

This is not the place to do so!

QuoteTopic: Netami's Religion Thread

It's not?

Anyway, debating the existence of Satan at all, you might as well believe the sky is green, yes.  With purple elephants.

Netami

Ooooo, I hates legends.

Um, well, it is now. But if you're not going to talk about existance of specific individuals in length, then what's the point of throwing logical fallacies at each other all day? Do you have proof of it either way? If so, share your experience. If not, why do you feel that way then? I do not claim to know anything for sure, but what I do want to do is make sure that people trust in what they believe. And they have to be polite while doing so or else!

Knight

This is an argument used all too often.  Once again, It's not the burden of a skeptic to prove that something doesn't exist, it's on the burden of the claimant.  Simple logic.  For instance, if I told you my penis was 12 inchs long, you'd probably want to see.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Evil Richter on May 03, 2007, 10:30:16 PM
This is not the place to do so!

QuoteTopic: Netami's Religion Thread

It's not?

Anyway, debating the existence of Satan at all, you might as well believe the sky is green, yes.  With purple elephants.

Perhaps I am missing posts from the thread this was snipped from.  would you care to elaborate as to why, exactly, you beleive that debating the existence of Satan equates to nonsense?
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Netami

Quote from: Evil Richter on May 03, 2007, 10:35:53 PM
This is an argument used all too often.  Once again, It's not the burden of a skeptic to prove that something doesn't exist, it's on the burden of the claimant.  Simple logic.  For instance, if I told you my penis was 12 inchs long, you'd probably want to see.

Hell yeah I would!

But look, I am not trying to be skeptical about whether or not your proof is legitimate to everyone, just whether or not ti is legitimate to yourself. Tell me why you think the way you do, however nonsensical it may be to the majority of others.

If you lived by the thought that daisies were the worst thing in the world, and stuck to that belief, then by god you are to be respected for your integrity and general disposition towards flowers!

Knight

Because all legitimate reasoning doesn't indicate any such thing?

Netami

Quote from: Evil Richter on May 03, 2007, 10:39:31 PM
Because all legitimate reasoning doesn't indicate any such thing?

Because all legitimate reasoning doesn't indicate the prescience of Satan? Satan as what, first of all? As the angel cast out of heaven for his transgressions against God, or Satan as the ideal of a greater evil; the all encompassing embodiment of evil? Or both?

Knight

Angel, God, Satan, Evil, etc... theo-babble.  As well as the cause of much intellectual regression.

Netami

So how have you come to this conclusion? Have you looked at the various arguments, also known as dilemmas, and taken into consideration every little point and nuance and how you feel as an individual against the world, or are you running off something else?

Knight

I didn't come to any conclusion other than to simply reject the long discredited mysticrap of others, like yourself.  Why would I give any pause to consider thinking like this:

Waves?  Sea serpent.

Sky?  Star chariot.

Murder?  Goat with pitchfork.

Is this 2007, or what?

Knight

Whoops, double post.  This double post is proof of an ancient evil, by the way.

Netami

Ah, an opinion born of himself, a true modern day philosophist caught in the wilds! Very well. Your views are like many, however, and I see elements in what you say in many other's arguments. The death of deities as man explains away their old functions is a popular point to make, but it's typically more verbose and less filled with accusations  :mwaha

I can tell this isn't really going to go anywhere. I am not full of mysti-crap, or at least the type you're thinking of. Who am I to stand in the way of a fiery individual and his true feelings?! C.a.s.e.C.l.o.s.e.d.

OOOKAMA WAY!

crimson_wolf

sorry for starting all of this but...

if the devil or what ever you want to call him does exist then when i die and possibly have the option of talking to him i am asking him qwestions...lots and lots of qwestions.

Netami

Do you want to know what I think? I think hell is a very empty place. I think that if you trust in an afterlife where many answers lie, then you better have a lot of questions to ask. Questions have never been viewed as something sinful. Question all things, I say. Question life, the universe, and everything. Ask bitter questions, too, like "Why is this happening to me?" "Why are you such a prick!" People should not feel ashamed of asking questions.

crimson_wolf

yes and that is why when i die the qwestions shall fly...is it just me or did i just ryme that many times by accident...i hate that...

superluser

Quote from: Evil Richter on May 03, 2007, 10:35:53 PMOnce again, It's not the burden of a skeptic to prove that something doesn't exist, it's on the burden of the claimant.  Simple logic.

You're confusing logic with criminal law again.  There is no burden of proof in logic.  Having one would result in Bad Things.

For example, the Homestake mine was designed to detect electron neutrinos from the sun, but it only detected a fraction of the neutrinos that it should have found.

So, by your `logic,' all you could say is ``some electron neutrinos are undetectable.''  Which is wrong.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

crimson_wolf

ok what? i have the IQ of a brick could you say that so a dumb person like me can understand?

RJ

Quote from: Netami on May 03, 2007, 10:53:10 PM
OOOKAMA WAY!

O...kama? What's that? o_o In what way is okama your way?

crimson_wolf

yea...i was wondering what that meant too...

RJ

Maybe he means he's an okama? Sounds Japanese. It's not another word for cute is it? Because I've had enough of kawaii as it is.

Stygian

Well, technically he couldn't say just that, but he could just assume something of the like out of nothing and then settle for that explanation because it suits him and then moralize and preach about things that really don't seem to have anything with any logical connection to it, which is technically what religion generally seems to be about today, scientology partially excluded.

However, on the topic of religious knowledge, or rather knowledge within religion rather than through it, I'd very much like to discuss. And on that topic, it really depends a whole lot of which interpretation of Satan that you favor. If it is the New or Old testament one, if it's the Islamic interpretation or the one from the Tanakh or the Torah or the Kabbalah... Really. He's been renamed from Shaitan in arabic and the ever-hostile accuser to Ha-Satan, a great and glorious angel created on the sixth day of creation, connotated with Lucifer, Abbadon, Metatron, Leviathan, Ahriman, Baal... He is a many-faced character, really. And as is the case with all religion, the various statements and sources contradict each other, and sometimes themselves.

crimson_wolf

that makes sense i suppose...alot more than what super said...intellegence hurts thine brain... :mowdizzy

Darkmoon

The basic, obvious logic of the matter is that all religion is created by man, not by gods. It was created as an explanation for the universe by beings that have no concept of the reality of the universe. What they come up with is pure imagination, stupid creations to divine a universe in a way that obviously doesn't really exist.

Satan, angels, gods, devils, demons, dragons, et all, are all just imaginary creations. There is no point in believing in any of it when you realize that none of it actually has an real bearing on how the universe, and thus your own life, operates.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

crimson_wolf

There we go thank you dark moon for translating...even though im not as dumb as i claim i dont like thinking anyway...

Stygian

Quote from: crimson_wolf on May 04, 2007, 12:30:30 AM
There we go thank you dark moon for translating...even though im not as dumb as i claim i dont like thinking anyway...

You know what? You're too honest not to sort of like, even though you're probably pissing Dmoon off hard with those replies...

Roureem Egas

Quote from: RJ on May 04, 2007, 12:09:17 AM
Maybe he means he's an okama? Sounds Japanese. It's not another word for cute is it? Because I've had enough of kawaii as it is.

It's a reference to One Piece. Okama as I understand it means a crossdressing man.

crimson_wolf

riiiiiight...i officially dont want to know anymore...