2012?

Started by KarlOmega1, March 03, 2007, 03:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarlOmega1

I was watching something on the History Channel about old seers predicting the end of the world and certain artifacts stating precisely it would be in 2012...what do you think about this?
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

xHaZxMaTx

December 23rd, 2012?

bill

Well, that's one way to solve Global Warming.

Cogidubnus

If you're referring to the Aztec thingie, it's kinda a debate, or so I've heard. Some people think that it's the end of the word. Others think that it just means the entire wheel goes back to the beginning again.

At least, so I've heard.

Valynth

This goes hand in hand with astronomers preditcing that in the year 2020-28 a potentially disasterous asteroid will come between earth and our communications satelites.  However, this asteroid shouldn't hit the earth.  Still, in galatic terms it's a close shave.

According to them at least.  Personally I say:  Who cares?  Lets just live life and deal with global disasters when they come.

Also, I predict Iran's nuclear program will be the key to global destruction(or at least heavily linked to it).  Since, you know, they don't want the rest of the world to know whether it's secured or not.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Vidar

How often has the world gone past a date on which the world was supposed to end? I've lost count.
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Valynth

I'd say in the neighborhood of 150, but thats not including the cults who rely on the actions of rituals rather than set dates.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Cogidubnus on March 03, 2007, 03:32:53 PM
If you're referring to the Aztec thingie, it's kinda a debate, or so I've heard. Some people think that it's the end of the word. Others think that it just means the entire wheel goes back to the beginning again.

At least, so I've heard.
Sounds like what I've heard...that their "world" is something like our millennium; that is, a period of time.

Then again, didn't the Aztec world already end? Or am I getting my history wrong?
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Valynth

Quote from: modelincard on March 03, 2007, 04:04:22 PM
Quote from: Cogidubnus on March 03, 2007, 03:32:53 PM

At least, so I've heard.
Sounds like what I've heard...that their "world" is something like our millennium; that is, a period of time.

Then again, didn't the Aztec world already end? Or am I getting my history wrong?

Acctually, the Aztecs believed that time was in the form of a circle that would repeat on itself(ie. Begining of the Aztecs, end of the Aztecs, begining of another country, ect.). They had several wheels, one for the year, one for the Aztec empire, and one for the world.  Everytime the wheel moved around, the entire world was supposed to restart at the very begining.  In short this would require that all civilization as we know it to end and a new one would form at the very begining of history.

Zedd

Im sure the Aztecs where right about this one

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Valynth on March 03, 2007, 04:14:23 PM
Acctually, the Aztecs believed that time was in the form of a circle that would repeat on itself(ie. Begining of the Aztecs, end of the Aztecs, begining of another country, ect.). They had several wheels, one for the year, one for the Aztec empire, and one for the world.  Everytime the wheel moved around, the entire world was supposed to restart at the very begining.  In short this would require that all civilization as we know it to end and a new one would form at the very begining of history.

I can see that happening, yes.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

supposedly the world has had about a half a dozen 'doomsdays' happen already, it seems that humanity felt it was not time to go quietly into the night and found ways around it. what we call doomsdays are more or less tests, just like coming up is a giant meteor that will collide with earth in about 25 years. thing is that it only enters the threat range of earth by ONE MILE and if we can shift it that one measly mile in the next twenty years or so it wont be caught in our gravity well and will miss us completely.

i for one gladly wait Ragnarök, happy that the cosmic forces set to smear humanity across the cosmos never foresaw such things as neutron bombs, Paladin artilery units, and depleted uranium rounds.

QuoteIf at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Jim Halisstrad

Kenji

Did you  know that the devil cares about the number 666 and therefore appeared to destroy us all on  June 6, 0006, June 6, 1006, and June 6, 2006? O:

And and and that aliens came to Earth on new year's day of 2000 and everyone declared war? O:

Nothing's gonna happen on any specific date. Aside from something like plotting the course of a body in space. But even then, it doesn't mean all will go as it should.

Jim Halisstrad

Quote from: Kenji on March 03, 2007, 05:17:58 PM
Did you  know that the devil cares about the number 666 and therefore appeared to destroy us all on  June 6, 0006, June 6, 1006, and June 6, 2006? O:

And and and that aliens came to Earth on new year's day of 2000 and everyone declared war? O:

Nothing's gonna happen on any specific date. Aside from something like plotting the course of a body in space. But even then, it doesn't mean all will go as it should.

Heh, Agreed.
But...

http://www.exitmundi.nl/

But there are a lot of end of the world scenarios out there ;3

Kenji

There's a lot of cartoons, too. Are they gonna come true?

Jim Halisstrad

Kenji

Freaking. Sweet.

xHaZxMaTx

Giant robots and freaky super powers galore!

thegayhare

I saw the same program

they say the 2012 date repeats in more then one text..

htey say it can be found in the I ching and a few other sources like mother shipton, and the prophecies of merlin.

*shrugs*

but the section that cought my eye was that astronimers agree that in 2012 the solar system will come into a very rare alingment with the center of the galaxy.  They think this might be the start of the solar system moving across the galactic equator.  They say this could cause the earth poles to shift.  Which is something thats happened before.

Alondro

The graviational effect of the center of the galaxy on the Earth is so weak it doesn't even enter into the calculations of the Earth's orbit around the Sun.  Our planet has far more graviational influence upon it from the Sun and the Moon that any other object in space.  Even a complete alignment of all the planets causes a graviational shift so tiny it can only be detected on highly sensitive equipment.

This prediction is a load of crap, like every other one of its kind.  I despise the programs that get a bunch of pseudoscientists together and pretend to talk about 'facts'. 

This is why education is so important.  Smart people aren't taken in by something this stupid.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

KarlOmega1

Quote from: thegayhare on March 03, 2007, 07:05:13 PM
I saw the same program

they say the 2012 date repeats in more then one text..

htey say it can be found in the I ching and a few other sources like mother shipton, and the prophecies of merlin.

*shrugs*

but the section that cought my eye was that astronimers agree that in 2012 the solar system will come into a very rare alingment with the center of the galaxy.  They think this might be the start of the solar system moving across the galactic equator.  They say this could cause the earth poles to shift.  Which is something thats happened before.

Yeah, they said sometihng about the poles shifting were the earth might change the way it spins...the animation the had on the screen madie it look like the earth flipped onto its side.

To Alondro: I know it may be Improbable, but it's not impossible...give these people  a benefit of a doubt.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Valynth

Also, earth's gravity is controlled by the flows of liquid rock beneath the earth's crust.  Hypothetically, if you drill deep enough you might be able to shift the liquid rock and therefore gravity.

Unfortunately we can't dig that deep so....

bill

Um, I'm quite sure that Earth's gravity is controlled by it's mass.

Distracting

Quote from: Valynth on March 03, 2007, 08:00:01 PM
Also, earth's gravity is controlled by the flows of liquid rock beneath the earth's crust.  Hypothetically, if you drill deep enough you might be able to shift the liquid rock and therefore gravity.

You mean to say that volcanoes control gravity? Who knew?

Kenji

That and last I checked, "unfortunately" isn't a word that should be used about people not being able to manipulate the very earth itself.

Zorro

April 15, 2013 you will still be around to meet the tax deadline.  I guarantee it!   :doh

superluser

I remember when the world ended in 1997.

See, the world was created on 23 October, 4004 at 0600GMT, and since the world was going to end exactly 6000 years later, that worked out to 5 November, 1997. (note that there was no year zero, and Ussher was using the Julian calendar, while we are using the Gregorian)

Oh, the four horsemen were fun, but the best was seeing all the angels with those bowls.  They said that they had plagues in them, but I beg to differ.

[edit: oops!  The rest was meant for another thread.]

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Valynth

Quote from: HeroZero on March 03, 2007, 08:11:37 PM
Quote from: Valynth on March 03, 2007, 08:00:01 PM

You mean to say that volcanoes control gravity? Who knew?

...No, volcanoes don't control gravity, I'm saying that we'd have to dig very, VERY far down.  Volcanoes aren't even scratching at it.

But they do control global warming, like the year without a summer.

EDIT:

Also, we were confusing Aztecs with Mayans.  Who knew?  I didn't until just recently.  And yes, the history channel covered the MAYAN calander with the circles.  The Aztecs were a bloodthisty cannibal race who were erradicated by the spanish conquerors.

vulpesweasel

silly silly scientists, everyone knows the world is gonna end in 2054 due to a level 4 zombie outbreak! those goobers, thinking some silly wheel is gonna destroy us all ^_^