[Art] Keaton the Black Jackal: Commission Preview~ (21/10/09)

Started by Sunblink, January 19, 2007, 10:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Keaton awesome?

Yes
8 (32%)
Yes
4 (16%)
You couldn't think of a good replacement poll, could you?
13 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Lysander

Mmmm. Shiny Fi...

That is a wonderful letter you wrote and I do believe your point is clearly shown. I'm sure the effer who received it loves it. I especially like where you wrote "Because if you so much as breathe on the cards that were in my mom's purse, the police are going to come down on you so hard that your neck will break from the impact." I don't know why or how people can be such freaking selfish idiots. I've had someone break into my car before and steal a 72 hour kit. What are you even going to do with that? Hideout for 3 days until the heat supposedly blows over? I really don't know what goes through these accursed people's minds.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Paladin Sheppard

Ouch sorry to hear that Keats people like that are pure slime....

But shiny shiny Fi tho :3

Mao

*glomps Keaton*   :tighthug

Kipiru

Not much to comment on Fi- great, clean work as usual Keats. And as for the theft- we have a saying in Bulgaria (don't really know if it has a counterpart in English) " No good deed goes unpunished!"- I've found out that to be painfully true and as of recently so has you mom.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kipiru on May 21, 2009, 11:08:11 AM
"No good deed goes unpunished!"
Yes, that's in common use here too.

As for the theft, I'm not sure what to say.  Sometimes people just grab anything they can in the hope they can make a few quid/dollars off it.  It just sucks.

Fi is a nice rendition, though in terms of critique the nose looks maybe a little too human.  That's the only thing which gives me pause.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

You did that in 90 minutes? Wow! What's your secret?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'll say it again. The technique is brilliant, but I have trouble swallowing Fi actually *giving* sweets away to someone else as opposed to eating it himself :P
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Ren Gaulen

An awesome picture, Keats. :) Though I have to agree with Tape, Fi's nose looks kinda human-like (also, his arms appear to be a wee bit too big, but that might be just me). And, sorry to hear that your mother got her pocketbook stolen. I hug you. :hug

Zedd

THat's a very cute Fi pic! Also that sucks what happened to your mom Keats,My dad had his Colonoscopy papers stolen from him

Yugo

That Fi is infinitely cute. -hugs it-. And again, I'm sorry to hear to hear about your Mom's car, but at least her finances are secure.  :hug
https://www.weasyl.com/~boximus<br /><br />My Weasyl!

Cogidubnus

I'm going to pretend he's eating Sherbet because Sherbet is delicious and awesome. :> (And ze picture is cute~)

And that sucks about your mom's pocketbook, Keats. It was probably some punk highschooler kid who thought he could make a quick buck. Kids these days are animals.

Kipiru

Quote from: Cogidubnus on May 21, 2009, 12:46:02 PM
Kids these days are animals.

Says the wolf to the Forum of The Forest  :mowwink - but apart from this, I agree with you.

Sunblink

Quote from: Gabi on May 21, 2009, 11:26:17 AM
You did that in 90 minutes? Wow! What's your secret?

It's a lot easier than you think! Part of the quickness was due to the simplicity of the image, that I like inking, and it just needed to be flat-colored and nothing else. Mind you, I was being really really generous in my estimation and I've mostly forgotten how long it took. :B

I didn't take Fi's nose into consideration before all of the comments on it. Thanks for the critique, guys - I'll keep that in mind if I draw Warp-Aci again. Drawing Fi was fun so I wouldn't mind doing more.

Also, thanks to everyone for the overwhelming sympathy regarding the car robbery. :> :tighthug I'll probably tell you guys about updates, assuming the guy responsible gets caught. According to my Geometry teacher there was a homeless guy wandering around the parking lot this morning, peeking inside the car windows. He could be related to it.

Sunblink

It's been a long time since I last updated this topic, so I figured I'd update this topic with a few things. I'm working on the first of Pal's three commissions but it's not ready yet.

First thing first:

Time Taken:
* Drawing: Like... 1 hour? It's small!
* Inking: 2 hours. Again, a small image.
* Coloring: 1 hour. I mean, c'mon, there's no shading.

This is a picture of Constantine, a character of mine. He's basically a Houndoom, but I borrowed some anatomy lessons from studying some drawings of gray wolves. Uh, he's kind of a sparkledog. :< I AM SO SORRY.

As for more information about Constantine... he's an RP character from a website that I co-administrate. He's supposed to be the Alpha Male of his pack.

The picture was done as a portrait for Constantine's character records. I have 21 more to finish. I'm extremely pleased with how this one turned out; I think it's one of my best inking jobs. I'm a little miffed with the scruff around Constantine's throat, since it looks too poky, but that's something I'll improve next time.

SECOND THING:
* Drawing: 1 hour.
* Inking: Uh.. yeah, I think another hour.
* Coloring: Durr 2 hours.

AND HERE'S HAZ'S CON BADGE. I like how the lineart turned out. Too bad this thing WASN'T DONE BEFORE AC oh god I suck SO MUCH. ARGH.

Either way, art fix. Yay. Now back to commissions.

Ren Gaulen

Yay, new Keatonarts! :D Both pictures are neat, but I particularly like that chilly look of Constantine's.

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on July 22, 2009, 08:34:56 AM
Uh, he's kind of a sparkledog. :< I AM SO SORRY.
Unforgivable. >:[

..Just kidding. :B

Tapewolf

Do I want to know what one of those is?

Anyway, nice to see more art from you.  For the conbadge, my only criticism is that the name should probably have a black outline to separate it from the rest of the image.  The name should stand out so you can see who it is from a distance.  Oh, there's also a slight kink in his mouth, not sure whether that's intentional or not.

With Constantine, I am finding it a little difficult to understand the left hand side of the picture - are those legs, like he's rolling over or something?   ...actually now I think about it, those are wings, right?
Apart from that, it looks pretty good.  And as you say, the inking is excellent.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 22, 2009, 08:54:58 AM

Well, Twilight is about sparkle vampires, so... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 22, 2009, 08:54:58 AM

NO

QuoteAnyway, nice to see more art from you.  For the conbadge, my only criticism is that the name should probably have a black outline to separate it from the rest of the image.  The name should stand out so you can see who it is from a distance.  Oh, there's also a slight kink in his mouth, not sure whether that's intentional or not.

The kink was kind of intentional, but I think I see what you mean with the name - I'll probably change that around to include what you've suggested. Thanks a lot for that, since I was concerned with the readability.

QuoteWith Constantine, I am finding it a little difficult to understand the left hand side of the picture - are those legs, like he's rolling over or something?   ...actually now I think about it, those are wings, right?
Apart from that, it looks pretty good.  And as you say, the inking is excellent.

Those are indeed his wings - I actually was wondering if I should have pointed that out. XD

Also, thanks for the compliments, Ren and Tape. >:3 I WOULD SAY MORE BUT I AM TIRED. I HAVE A COLD. IT SAPS MY BRAIN.

Mao

Hey, who are you?  I don't think I've seen you in the Tower of Art before....

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on July 22, 2009, 09:13:33 AM
I HAVE A COLD. IT SAPS MY BRAIN.
Cold sappin' your brahn? Cold must be a spah! :O (Though that would mean that your brain is a sentry, which makes no sense, unless you can think people to death, like Psycho Mantis :B).

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 22, 2009, 09:12:28 AM
Well, Twilight is about sparkle vampires, so... ;-]
Yeah, that describes it pretty well. :B

Quote from: Mao Laoren on July 22, 2009, 09:27:59 AM
Hey, who are you?  I don't think I've seen you in the Tower of Art before....
...What kind of heresy is this? >:[ ( :B )

xHaZxMaTx

Magic

True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

techmaster-glitch

llearch n'n'daCorna

No, tech. That's Magic.

See, he even says he doesn't do the Evil Doctor thing anymore.

;-]

Sunblink

New poll, YOU GUYS HAD BETTER VOTE.

Thank you for unlocking my thread, Tape! To everyone else, sorry I haven't updated with any decent artwork. My muse was dead and dry for a long time and it's only just recently been revived. Strangely, this is as I'm becoming acclimated to my new medication.

I don't have anything interesting with which to update this thread. All I have is some old artwork to tide you guys over until I have Paladin's commission and guest art for Tapewolf finished.

Time Taken:
-Everything: SHIT I FORGOT
Currently Listening To: Some crap by Nickelback. Jesus Christ, I'm the only asshole on the planet who still likes Nickelback.

All the relevant information is on the other end of that link.

Actually, I've been really satisfied with my art lately because I've been actively looking for reference material and paying more attention to anatomy. It makes all the difference, in my opinion, but you guys are the judge of that. It just makes me feel like I'm gradually making some improvements. I don't have anything to show for it just yet but when it's ready to be showed, I hope you guys will think I improved since the day I started showing you all those godawful pseudo-anorexic figures.

llearch n'n'daCorna

"I mean, good god, I like to think that I follow John Locke's positive philosophy of humanity and even I can admit that people can be dickheads."

*snicker*

I settle for "people are dicks" and leave it at that. No philosophy needed...

As for the image... the face seems a bit flat to me, perhaps in the angle of the eyes? Other than that, it's a whole heck of a lot better than the anorexia, so you're at least getting there...

Lisky

:tighthug

First of all, i still listen to Nickleback too... Burn it to the ground, Awesome song...

secondly, those eyes are narfing adorable... and while slightly too far apart, as you said... still very well done

Glad your muse is back keaty, and i look forward to seeing what your muse comes up with.

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 07, 2009, 06:17:20 PM
"I mean, good god, I like to think that I follow John Locke's positive philosophy of humanity and even I can admit that people can be dickheads."

*snicker*

I settle for "people are dicks" and leave it at that. No philosophy needed...

Hey, not all people are dicks!

There are some assholes and pussies, too.

(please someone get that reference please please please)

QuoteAs for the image... the face seems a bit flat to me, perhaps in the angle of the eyes? Other than that, it's a whole heck of a lot better than the anorexia, so you're at least getting there...

I think you're right about the critique. I think it's the angle of the eye or maybe the flat dimple that throws the picture off... uh, I'll figure that out later and do some pondering about how I can fix it. I probably will make sure I don't make the same mistake in the future.

Thanks a lot for the compliments too, dude. c:

Quote from: Basilisk on October 07, 2009, 06:20:52 PM
:tighthug

First of all, i still listen to Nickleback too... Burn it to the ground, Awesome song...

secondly, those eyes are narfing adorable... and while slightly too far apart, as you said... still very well done

Glad your muse is back keaty, and i look forward to seeing what your muse comes up with.

Aww, thanks, Bas. :tighthug

(Actually, I think I like Nickelback's older stuff the most. Generic sound or not, Silver Side Up is one of the most solid albums I've ever listened to.)

As for the eyes, yeah, they definitely are too far apart now that I look at it. I think that's a problem with all of my figures nowadays, but that's what Google Images is for. I'm really glad you like the picture, though. :3 I also hope you and everyone else will enjoy the pictures to come.

By the way, guys, here's a bit of a blast from the past. My first picture of Dietricha. Compare and contrast with the new one for extra fun.

Tapewolf

Hmm, I'm comparing the two (old and new version) and to be honest it's a close call.  The new one does seem to be technically better but I do prefer the eye shape in the older version.  Wolves just don't have round eyes and the way I see it you're crossing the line between cartoonishness and realism in such a way that it's noticeable.  To me, at least.

However, there is certainly something screwy in the left eye (right side of picture) in the 2007 one.

The other thing which I think detracts from the new version is the expression - I prefer the slightly coy look in the older one, and by comparison it makes the newer one look a little bland, or dopey.  Again, this isn't necessarily wrong, it's just the way I'm seeing it.

Sunblink

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 07, 2009, 07:07:20 PM
Hmm, I'm comparing the two (old and new version) and to be honest it's a close call.  The new one does seem to be technically better but I do prefer the eye shape in the older version.  Wolves just don't have round eyes and the way I see it you're crossing the line between cartoonishness and realism in such a way that it's noticeable.  To me, at least.

I see where you're coming from, but I just can't bring myself to like the eye shape in the last picture because the eyes are too disproportionately large and human. I just looked up a picture of a wolf's eye shape and this is what I got. So while Dietricha's eyes aren't completely accurate in the new picture, they are closer to reality than in the older image. I was kind of experimenting with a cartoony-realistic style that would hopefully be fairly expressive.

QuoteThe other thing which I think detracts from the new version is the expression - I prefer the slightly coy look in the older one, and by comparison it makes the newer one look a little bland, or dopey.  Again, this isn't necessarily wrong, it's just the way I'm seeing it.

I think I see where you're coming from here. Dietricha's coy expression is a lot more vibrant than the more mellow one in the new picture, but the dopiness you described is actually something I was deliberately trying to do. :B I wanted Dietricha to look a bit like an obedient, domesticated dog in her mannerisms, which is the kind of human-reverence that's closer to her actual personality. If she tried to act coyly or seductive in the slightest, she'd probably trip over her own feet in the middle of her strutting.

By the way, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm arguing with you. I do not mean to do that D: I actually really appreciate your feedback. I just figured that I'd give a thorough response.