Why People Believe Americans are Stupid

Started by xHaZxMaTx, January 06, 2007, 11:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aridas

I wasn't aware they had anything in the first place.

bill

Congratulations on the 10,000th Outer Fortress post, AS. Yes, it's a slow news day.

Aridas

I deserve positive karma as a prize. DESERVE.  :<

Not that it means I will get any, no. Just that I deserve it. Yeah.

bill

Aridas

Cookies are delicious. :3

On topic: America might be bad, it's certainly the loudest, but I can think of a couple countries that I won't name (for fear of offending a few people here) that seem to be overrun with ignorance. What's worse is that it seems like the same amount of people, but it IS a smaller total population...

superluser

Quote from: Vidar on January 10, 2007, 05:10:26 PM* prez * : You defile our marriages! I'm going to make laws to make your lives more difficult than they already are! No marriage for you! Also, I'm going to invade middle-eastern countries, because I want to.

Well, I'm a Libertarian, so I gotta ask: why does anyone need the government's permission to get married?  Besides, if the government has the right to say that there can be no same-sex marriages, doesn't that mean that they have the right to say that there can only be same-sex marriages?

Quote from: Vidar on January 10, 2007, 05:10:26 PM*reverent Phelps* : God hates fags!

Reverend Phelps has, on the whole, zero followers.  The people that you see at his activities are basically all his extended family.  What other followers he might have had basically deserted him when he embarked on the whole ``Let's say the dead soldiers are all in Hell because they're gay, even though they aren't gay!'' plan.

He's very media-savvy, but nobody really listens to him (and this is compared to the power of other low-power religious figures, like Tammy-Faye Bakker). 

On the other hand, there is quite substantial evidence that God Hates Figs

P.S. I'm not sure how many solar systems there are, but with the discovery of multiple extrasolar planets orbiting single stars (e.g. Gliese 876), the answer has to be more than one.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Melpomene

Quote from: superluser on January 10, 2007, 07:34:07 PM
On the other hand, there is quite substantial evidence that God Hates Figs

What about Fig Neutons? Does god hate those?

On Topic: Some Americans might be stupid about global knowledge, but there's probably just as many who're academically brilliant. I don't think we should write America off as unintelligent because some random guy asks random people random questions.

Valynth

Quote from: superluser on January 10, 2007, 07:34:07 PM
P.S. I'm not sure how many solar systems there are, but with the discovery of multiple extrasolar planets orbiting single stars (e.g. Gliese 876), the answer has to be more than one.

bzzzt, wrong.  There's only the one.  The ones you mention are STAR Systems, unless we name every one of the stars "Sol,"  there is only one SOLar System.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

superluser

Quote from: Valynth on January 10, 2007, 07:47:48 PM
Quote from: superluser on January 10, 2007, 07:34:07 PMP.S. I'm not sure how many solar systems there are, but with the discovery of multiple extrasolar planets orbiting single stars (e.g. Gliese 876), the answer has to be more than one.
bzzzt, wrong.  There's only the one.  The ones you mention are STAR Systems, unless we name every one of the stars "Sol,"  there is only one SOLar System.

I suppose if I can pull the capital of Australia bit, I can accept that.  Still, no one's answered my question about how many seats there are in the US Senate, now and 50 years ago.

bill

100 and 96?

superluser

Quote from: BillBuckner on January 10, 2007, 08:23:35 PM100 and 98?

Close enough.  100 and 96.  Both Hawaii and Alaska were admitted in 1959.  I suspect that it would work better in a Jaywalking-type setting, where you can get a patter down, ask it like this:

Me: How many senators are there?
It: 100.
Me: How many representatives?
It: Uh...
Me: OK, OK.  How many senators were there 50 years ago?
It: 100.  There's always 100 senators.

bill

Please don't ask that about Congress House Representatives, though, because I doubt 5% of the population could get that correct on the spot.

(edit'd for typo)

superluser

Quote from: BillBuckner on January 10, 2007, 08:41:59 PMPlease don't ask that about Congress House Representatives, though, because I doubt 5% of the population could get that correct on the spot.

I actually couldn't.  I found myself saying ``Well, I know that there were 435 last decade, but that changes with each census, right?''  Turns out it doesn't.  It's been fixed at 435 since 1911.

Anyways, the point isn't to find out if they know the size of the House, it's to make them think that the Senate part of the question isn't the real question.

Hilary

435 in the House, making 535 altogether in Congress. (The only reason I can answer that off the top of my head is because I'm in a Civics and Economics course right now. Yay.)

Ninja'd!

Vidar

Quote from: Valynth on January 10, 2007, 06:20:32 PM
Quote from: Vidar on January 10, 2007, 05:10:26 PM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on January 10, 2007, 04:54:30 PM
Quote from: Valynth on January 10, 2007, 02:18:00 PM
Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on January 10, 2007, 12:32:20 PM
Quote from: Valynth on January 10, 2007, 11:03:41 AM
Do I have to point out to you that the American lifestyle is that you can pick what ever lifestyle you want?
...As long as what you want is what they want you to want. Otherwise you're scum. Try a few other countries; they work the same way and then some.

bzzzzt, wrong, that real culprit is "you can choose what ever life style you want so long as you produce something." And guess what? THATS TRUE EVERY WHERE! No matter where you go, even if you are by yourself you are expected to at least produce SOMETHING, like food or other resources nessecary for the lifestyle of your choice.

Also, trivia time, How many solar systems are there?
They wouldn't be trying to make laws against certain lifestyles if that were true. >_>

As in :
*gay people* : Hi, we like other people of the same gender as we are!
* prez * : You defile our marriages! I'm going to make laws to make your lives more difficult than they already are! No marriage for you! Also, I'm going to invade middle-eastern countries, because I want to.
*gay people* :  Why!  :cry
*reverent Phelps* : God hates fags!
*gay people*:  'A'

Yeah. Land of the free, indeed. As long as you conform to some standard, and not deviate from it too much.

*cough*gaysdon'tproducechildren*cough*
But thats not the point.  It isn't law, and never shall be so long as I can vote.  You've been listening a bit too much to republican propaganda, that law really doesn't have the support they wished it did.

Also, more states are making sperate rules for gay marriages, which should be done.  You guys get to marry, and we don't have to worry about you taking Gov. funds away from our children.  Everyone wins.

For the record, I'm not gay, and also not American.
Yes, gay people can get married, but not to people of the same gender, which is what all the fuss is about.
Also, the argument that gay people don't produce children holds no ground what so ever. Infirtile people also don't produce children, yet they can get married whitout problems. Also, current or near-future technology can allow same-sex couples to have children related to both of them.
And what is this about "taking away Gov. funds from your children"?
If the government grants funds to people, it doesn't take any funds away from other people. That's what taxes are for, and I do believe homosexuals pay taxes just like everyone else.
So far, all the anti-gay marriage arguments are stupid and backwards, which brings us neatly back to 'Why people believe Americans are stupid'.
It's because your leaders do and say stupid and backwards things, like the anti-gay marriage thing (amonst others).
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Valynth

Quote from: Vidar on January 10, 2007, 11:31:57 PM
Yes, gay people can get married, but not to people of the same gender, which is what all the fuss is about.
Also, the argument that gay people don't produce children holds no ground what so ever. Infirtile people also don't produce children, yet they can get married whitout problems. Also, current or near-future technology can allow same-sex couples to have children related to both of them.
If the government grants funds to people, it doesn't take any funds away from other people. That's what taxes are for, and I do believe homosexuals pay taxes just like everyone else.
So far, all the anti-gay marriage arguments are stupid and backwards, which brings us neatly back to 'Why people believe Americans are stupid'.
It's because your leaders do and say stupid and backwards things, like the anti-gay marriage thing (amonst others).

okay, just listen to me for a sec.... SOME STATES RECOGNIZE SAME SEX MARRAIGES and more are coming to!  Good Lord, I'm been saying that all along and you just refuse to listen.  Also, you're crying about a MINORITY VIEW!  Typically only the very exteremist republicans feel that gay marriage should be bannned and that the republican party is the "moral" party.  For the most part Americans really don't care if you homosexual or not, it's just when you get all fruity in the head over it that we get a bit concerned.

Homosexuality is Illogical, therefore anything against or for it will also be Illogical.  After all, the whole point of orgasm is to create a new life, but if you remove that, why couple in the first place?  And if we did everything that "feels good" civilized life would devolve into something similar to the middle east.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

superluser

So... I'm thinking the map projection in the clip might be a Hammer-Aitoff.

What do you guys think?

Vidar

Quote from: Valynth on January 11, 2007, 12:52:16 AM
Quote from: Vidar on January 10, 2007, 11:31:57 PM

okay, just listen to me for a sec.... SOME STATES RECOGNIZE SAME SEX MARRAIGES

One state: Massachusetts.

Homosexuality is Illogical, therefore anything against or for it will also be Illogical. 

Only when it comes to pro-creation, but there's more to a human being then making more human beings, you know.

After all, the whole point of orgasm is to create a new life, but if you remove that, why couple in the first place? 

Because it feels good? In modern society sex isn't just for pro-creation anymore, we do it for fun. What do you think contraceptives are for?

And if we did everything that "feels good" civilized life would devolve into something similar to the middle east.

Where did you get that idea?

Valynth

Because the whole reason our civilization exists is because we can tell ourselves to stop going for the immediate enjoyment and wait for other, more fufilling things.

Do you really think it's religion that drives power in the Middle east?  No, it's "what ever feels good" (for the men at least).   Why do they openly rape women?  Cause it feels good.  Why do they kill other men?  Because it makes them feel better than their victim and therefore good.  Why do they blame everyone else for their problems?  Because it would interfere with the good feelings they get while doing them.  Why do they have a religion?  To have a reason to do nothing but "whatever feels good."

Vidar

Quote from: Valynth on January 11, 2007, 01:58:58 AM
Because the whole reason our civilization exists is because we can tell ourselves to stop going for the immediate enjoyment and wait for other, more fufilling things.

Do you really think it's religion that drives power in the Middle east?  No, it's "what ever feels good" (for the men at least).   Why do they openly rape women?  Cause it feels good.  Why do they kill other men?  Because it makes them feel better than their victim and therefore good.  Why do they blame everyone else for their problems?  Because it would interfere with the good feelings they get while doing them.  Why do they have a religion?  To have a reason to do nothing but "whatever feels good."

Wow, if I was from a middle-eastern country, I would be seriously offended.
I don't know where you heard that public, open rape is the norm there, or that people kill each other in Iraq / Afghanistan / Israel / Turkey /<insert middle easter nation> because it makes them feel better is not uncommon, or that the religious beliefs are solely because they want to do whatever feels good. What are your sources?

By 'religion' I assume you mean the Islam, though the Jewish and Christian religions are also present.
The Islamic religion has some serious restrictions on what can and cannot be done, and requires the faithful to make some sacrifices.
Muslims are supposed to pray 5 times each day.
Ever heard of the Ramadan? It's the ninth month of the Islamic calandar, in which the muslims are not allowed to eat, drink, smoke, have sex between sunrise and sunset.
Does any of that feel good? I thought not.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Is -that- what Ramadan is? I'd heard of it, but not the specifics.

So... they only eat at night, for a whole month?

... Hmm. I do that all the time anyway.... :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Vidar

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 11, 2007, 08:25:45 AM
Is -that- what Ramadan is? I'd heard of it, but not the specifics.

So... they only eat at night, for a whole month?

... Hmm. I do that all the time anyway.... :-)

They also don't drink ANYTHING during the day. No beer, no coffee, no tea, no water, nothing.

Tapewolf

I was under the impression water was allowed.  Might vary with the devoutness of the individual of course.
We used to have a Muslim guy working at my firm, I don't think he did the five-prayers-a-day thing, but he did follow Ramadan.  I remember him waiting impatiently for the sun to finish setting, and as soon as it did he began to devour things voraciously.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Stygian

Personally I can't understand, if even for my life, why homosexuals would want to have the right to marry. Is it a practical thing? Is it some sort of revolutionary change? No, it's an exchange of names. Why is it that people want to confess their probably less than unending love for someone to a god that so many of them simply do not believe in? Personally, I myself am doubtful that I'll ever marry anyone, and not for lack of a lovelife.

And please don't get started on the children debate... Gay people can practically have children too, with modern technology, but that doesn't make it either right or wrong. It's just another possibility, that's all. The circumstances are what decide the morality, I usually say. And the whole thing about genetic heritage has been entirely fucked up within humanity, so quite frankly I don't think you want my opinion on that, since I'd sound like some neo-Nazi when it comes to that question.

As for America... Even if it is, by funding and research, the most scientifically advanced country in the world, there has obviously been a price to pay. That price is that the economy that fuels that research is intrinsically tied to a political and legal system that allows for enormous commercial exploitation, legal abuse, immorality and other horridities. Frankly, the US system contributes to these sort of examples happening because of its imbalance and naive disregard for human nature.

Alondro

Quote from: Stygian on January 11, 2007, 10:01:07 AM
As for America... Even if it is, by funding and research, the most scientifically advanced country in the world, there has obviously been a price to pay. That price is that the economy that fuels that research is intrinsically tied to a political and legal system that allows for enormous commercial exploitation, legal abuse, immorality and other horridities. Frankly, the US system contributes to these sort of examples happening because of its imbalance and naive disregard for human nature.

Mmm-hmm, so how do you explain China, North Korea, Sudan, Somalia, Cambodia, Congo, Rwanda, Nigeria and all those other places around the world where corruption is vast, oppression is a way of life, and less than 1% of the population control +90% of the wealth.

The US is not the worst country in the world on any of the areas you bring up by any practical measure.  There was a story in World News Tonight a few days ago about Nigeria.  The corrupt government there has stolen hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars from the people, money from the huge oil boom in that country which was intended to bring up the citizenry from poverty.  Instead, a handful of officials have titanic mansions while a significant percentage of the populace lives in boxes and shacks of sticks and corregated tin.

Let us also not forget that China, in the wake of its industrial boom, is poised to surpass the US in pollution generation within a few years at its current rate of increase.  Any country that becomes a massively industrial country will have tremendous pollution levels.  And unlike the US, China doesn't have any strong environmental laws.  They supposedly have some laws, but they don't work in practice and/or aren't enforced until something major happens, such as the big benzene spill this year.

As for the gay marriage thing, I wonder how long it will be after that's legalized that bestialists start fighting for their rights... and how soon the lawyers start jumping on board.  After the homosexuality issue is gone, they'll need to find another cause to keep their income going!  Or maybe NAMBLA...  There'll be plenty of even more weird groups for them to represent!  Just think of the notoriety if they actually win one of those cases!  That's the driving force behind the entire gay marriage thing.  It's the quest for more money disguised as a desire for more rights.  The question is can a tiny minority in the population impose its social influence over the majority.  That's not democracy.  Democracy says the people must decide.  My main objection has always been that the states which have legalized it have done so without the consent of the citizens living there.  The marriage debate is not a Constitional issue, it's a State's Rights issue, therefore the law says that each state must make its own laws regarding it.  And to be done in a democratic way, the people should be allowed to vote on it.  In every single case its become a ballot issue, the voters have overwhelmingly rejected it, even in Oregon where supporters thought it'd pass easily.  While most people are generally fine with letting homosexuals live their lives without persecution, they aren't comfortable allowing a neuro-psychological anomaly to infuence a long-held societal norm. 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Kasarn

Earth sucks, I'm moving to Mars the first chance I get :P

Nikki

more reasons Americans are stupid:

We Voted George W. as our president.
We got in a war with Iraq
We haven't accomplished anything

i could go on and on
(but can't cus i is in school)

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Brunhidden

the #1 reason that america is stupid

at no time have we attempted to rid out country of paris hilton, brittney spears, j-lo, christena angulera, and all thier clones and chronies.

seriously, what country can call itself inteligent for allowing such abominations to reside and breed within your borders.

QuoteHey kids, lets all sing the insemination song!
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Stygian

...so the United States isn't the worst country in the world. Great. I didn't say it was. But as the one that gets quite probably the most "attention", they should be trying to do much better than they are.

As for your second point, Alondro, I do agree with you on many points. However, I must point out that you're sounding just a little bit frantic. And condemning gay people who are lobbying for those rights for the actual cause of money in general, is general. That means you will have to say the same thing about other minorities doing thesame, no matter who they may be. And don't bring up democracy, please. Go read A Theory of Justice, by John Rawls first. You'll see what I mean then.
   It seems that Americans express themselves a lot more than many Europeans, Swedes in particular, I have noticed. They get upset, they drive on, they value their freedom... Basically, to me nearly all Americans I have met and seen have seemed a bit loud. And that's fine under normal circumstances. I actually like it when people are a bit more outspoken, as a contrast to myself and my own environment. But it only is so long as what is said is either reasonably smart, or controlled. Not by some government or authority, mind you. But there should be a few more limitations, a bit more thought and a hell of a lot more consideration to it all. Because when the freedom to unleash stupidity upon the world is coupled with the people who do it, and too few sensible people who are allowed to keep them in check, there will be stupidity.
   Freedom is indeed a high value, higher to some than even life. But in society, freedom is conditional. Make no mistake about it.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 11, 2007, 08:43:45 AMI was under the impression water was allowed.  Might vary with the devoutness of the individual of course.

I only have one reference point--a Muslim co-worker, who has assured us that she can't drink during Ramadan.  Which led to an amusing conversation with another cow-orker, who asked ``Oh, you mean you can't drink alcohol, right?''  At which point we both tried to explain that giving up alcohol would not be much of an additional burden, seeing as how you can't do that anyways.

This contrasts with the Catholic idea of fasting.  On days of fast and abstinence, you can only have one major meal and two minor meals which cannot equal one major meal.  And they can't have any meat in them.  Whoo!  Sounds difficult.

(actually, I only drink water on days of fast and abstinence)

Quote from: Alondro on January 11, 2007, 10:35:13 AMAs for the gay marriage thing, I wonder how long it will be after that's legalized that bestialists start fighting for their rights [...] Or maybe NAMBLA...

Well, marriage is a contract, and if beasts and boys cannot enter contracts, it stands to reason that marriage is out for them, too.  Polygamy also sets up some major problems.  Like, what if the entire board of directors at Enron married each other, and their testimony was protected by spousal privilege?  That one's not going anywhere, either.