What Are You Listening To? Part 2

Started by e_voyager, October 19, 2006, 08:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

They actually have someone competent doing the mixing this time, though to be fair, it's not quite a difficult job to better the production of Vapor Trails.

Full song in crappy quality is this. (Released by Rush.com, so 'tis legal.)

[edit]Better quality: linky[/edit]

Soundgarden - BadMotorFinger - Somewhere

xHaZxMaTx

Radiohead / OK Computer / Karma Police

The album that got me into Radiohead and one of my favourite tracks. :cool

xHaZxMaTx

Queen / Greatest Hits, Volume 2 / One Vision

Gimme gimme gimme gimme fried chicken!

Tapewolf

Quote from: BillBuckner on March 12, 2007, 08:27:38 PM
They actually have someone competent doing the mixing this time, though to be fair, it's not quite a difficult job to better the production of Vapor Trails.

Rush - Snakes and Arrows - Far Cry  [from the link - gotta remember to look for it next time I hit town]

It's definitely Rush, but it's a lot like Vapor Trails in terms of style.  Too much guitar - needs more Oberheim.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

bill

Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow - 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers

llearch n'n'daCorna

Barenaked Ladies - Stunt - She's On Time.

o/~ she's on time, (she's on time) she's on time, (she's on time)  she's on time, hallelujah, she's on time, and it's the greatest time of the month, they say, for love....

*grin*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Steeleye Span / Below The Salt / The Saucy Sailor
(Perfect way to end the album)

Sunblink

Ignorance is Bliss, by Jellyfish.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

xHaZxMaTx

Pixies / Wave of Mutilation: The Best of Pixies / Vamos

Kick-ass. :cool

bill

Dream Theater - Train of Thought - Stream of Consciousness

RushFox

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 14, 2007, 10:25:16 AM
Quote from: BillBuckner on March 12, 2007, 08:27:38 PM

Rush - Snakes and Arrows - Far Cry  [from the link - gotta remember to look for it next time I hit town]

It's definitely Rush, but it's a lot like Vapor Trails in terms of style.  Too much guitar - needs more Oberheim.

Rush- Far Cry (Snakes and Arrows)

It's just the first song, and as far as I know, albums before 2112 was pretty much effects in terms of how synths were used. If they plan on going for that FTK-PW sound (like advertised by the producer, Nick Whatever-his-name-is), I agree that some synths would bring that nostalgia right back. Unless they are making a conscious decision to remove synths out of the mix and go for the power trio rock at it's core. Again.

In that case...

Alex! Play some solos goddangit!! Rhythm guitar, even with overdubbing and the like, can only get you so far...

Other than that, I'm liking this new Rush song and I WILL be going to at least TWO shows this year. Who knows? It might be another FIVE years before the next tour!   D:

Tapewolf

Quote from: RushFox on March 17, 2007, 02:51:18 PM
If they plan on going for that FTK-PW sound (like advertised by the producer, Nick Whatever-his-name-is), I agree that some synths would bring that nostalgia right back.

Personally, I want something like Permanent Waves (That is what you meant by 'PW', right?) or Moving Pictures.  Jacob's Ladder (DO NOT TYPE 'JAKOB') was my introduction to Rush, it wasn't until about 1997 that I was finally able to to an Altavista search for the lyrics to find out what song it was and buy it.  It's still my favourite, but I do like the Oberheim strings and brass sounds.

Talking of which, and to get back on topic, I'm listening to "My Wicked Life With The Hattifatteners" by me, which has that lovely string sound although it's a Cheetah MS6 rather than a proper OB-Xa or Matrix...

Tapewolf

'Extreme RA' by Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater

This song is programmed into every Korg Triton Extreme.  It can also be found here:
http://www.korg.com/downloads/mp3/TRITONEXTREME/ExtremeRA.mp3

Kasarn

The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree - 13. Pale Green Things

Sunblink

Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen, by Rammstein.

Do you want to see the bed in flames~?

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Tapewolf

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 24, 2007, 10:17:22 AM
Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen, by Rammstein.
Do you want to see the bed in flames~?

My brother has seen them live.  He was extremely impressed by their demented stage show which involved a lot of flamethrowers.  Apparently one of their songs - about the insane guy who killed and ate someone - had the keyboard guy inside a giant cauldron.

I am listening to a cover I've just done of 'Liberation' by George Fenton.

xHaZxMaTx

Level 42 / Heaven in My Hands / Live at Wembley

Kasarn

Modest Mouse - This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About - 11. Tundra/Desert

Tapewolf

Rush / Hemispheres [or 'Chronicles' in this case] / La Villa Strangiato - An exercise in self-indulgence

xHaZxMaTx

Dezdemona Thanatos

Memory/ Elaine Paige/ CATS

I'm hopelessly addicted to this musical. =^.^=

bill

Chuck Berry - Berry is on Top - Johnny B. Goode

Yeah, it's the old school, yo.

Sunblink

Welcome to the Black Parade, by My Chemical Romance. Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

xHaZxMaTx

The White Stripes / Elephant / Black Math :cool

slayer8765

Dredg/Walk in the park/Live at the Fillmore

bill

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound - The Cinema Show / Aisle of Plenty

xHaZxMaTx

Audioslave / Revelations / Nothing Left to Say But Goodbye

bill

xHaZxMaTx

bill