11-25-06 Oblivious to danger

Started by Faerie Alex, November 24, 2006, 11:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_voyager

it's not that i remember a lot form my games but i think that some people that play Paladin are full of themselves. a lot of them that i read about in dragon lance many Paladin's do seem to be full of themselves but i'm sure that they can't all be like that.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Janus Whitefurr

This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Teroniss

One little problem about all the paladin assumptions is that your basing it off D&D. Amber could be basing this paladin after the Christian Crusader paladins that existed during the Crusades, like the Knights Templar. There is no Lawful Good rules for those guys, they did whatever they thought was justified by their religion.

Manawolf

Well, she hasn't really established religion in Furrae, so not sure what else to base them off of.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Manawolf on November 25, 2006, 07:10:55 PM
There are some cameos that get their own arc.
But do they come from a different comic strip?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Manawolf on November 26, 2006, 02:35:20 AM
Well, she hasn't really established religion in Furrae, so not sure what else to base them off of.
Well...
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_045.php
:eager
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Stygian

I'm not entirely sure that qualifies. That might be an a reference to the actual mab that we see there. It was an early strip, after all.

Sid

There have been a few references to gods, religion or religious groups in DMFA.
The dudes that visited Wildy one day, Dark Peg. trying to summon a Dark God (I think), a few phrases in spoken language, the (potentially OOC-ish) "Power of Christ" by Abel and Fi, and so on. But I think Amber had made a post concerning religion in DMFA in the past, and I think it had been fairly "Eh. *shrug*"-ish. But I'd have to dig it out in order to verify it...

I think we should just wait until the next strip to see what sort of Paladin Glory (was that the name?) is. Trying to derive the religious system and/or the alignment/behavior from one frame is somewhat overkill :P

It's even possible that any annoying warrior fighting for The Good Cause is called "Paladin" by Devin. Keep in mind that this is not Devin establishing objective canon. It's just him making a silly remark. So if he wants to call her "Princess Fairytail of the Five Axe-Swinging Viking Gods", that doesn't have to be her actual name or title ;)
:boogie

superluser

Quote from: Sid on November 26, 2006, 10:48:17 AMTrying to derive the religious system and/or the alignment/behavior from one frame is somewhat overkill :P

Oh, you're no fun anymore!

Quote from: Sid on November 26, 2006, 10:48:17 AMIt's even possible that any annoying warrior fighting for The Good Cause is called "Paladin" by Devin.

Who just happens to be wearing white armor with gold trim.  I suppose that could be any knight commissioned by a rich patron, and how a knight differs from a paladin is beyond me.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Boog

Obviously she's a paladin, on the basis that she's kind of a jerk. Pally's ruin everything.

e_voyager

do they really? remember the rumor about Devan and if i'm not mistaken  his behavior card should trump her's
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Zedd

Make sure someone tosses a rock at his head next time

Reese Tora

paladins, RL:
1. any one of the 12 legendary peers or knightly champions in attendance on Charlemagne.  
2. any knightly or heroic champion.  
3. any determined advocate or defender of a noble cause.  
(according to dictionary.com, anyway)

paladin, D&D(old):
The guy that kills anything evil, defends good, and converts neutral, living in a black and white point of view, extremely racist/prejudiced regaurding 'monster' races.  What we expect.

paladin, D&D(normal):
Holy warrior with magic power that actually thinks about whether someone is evil or not based on thier actions.  What we want to see, but rarely do.

--

on warhammers: a warhammers power is in the focusing of it's weight into a small area, the weapon was designed as a foil to plate armor where swords cutting edges were ineffective. one would break bones using the blunt side of the head, or pierce plate over a vital point using the spiked side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer

Real world warhammers have small heads becasue a smaller area of contact causes more damage.  The weight has to be kept down because, while a heavier hammer could be more damaging, it would be unwieldy to all but the strongest of warriors.

Fantasy warhammers (ie: the iconic warhammer, as pictured in the strategy game of the same name) are made to be visially appealing or intimidating, as thier real world effectiveness is immaterial.  I think that it's entierly appropriate that she's wielding a fantasy style warhammer, persoanlly.  (and can't wait to see if there's any 'phalic weapon' jokes going to come out of this :P )
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Anri

Or, yanno, could be the danger they're oblivious to is the fact they're acting casual at the scene of a light slaughter. >_>

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on November 26, 2006, 10:48:17 AM
There have been a few references to gods, religion or religious groups in DMFA.
The dudes that visited Wildy one day, Dark Peg. trying to summon a Dark God (I think), a few phrases in spoken language, the (potentially OOC-ish) "Power of Christ" by Abel and Fi, and so on. But I think Amber had made a post concerning religion in DMFA in the past, and I think it had been fairly "Eh. *shrug*"-ish. But I'd have to dig it out in order to verify it...

At the risk of warping this into a DMFA Religion thread, there's also the graveyard in the 'Vampire' strip (#510) - the grave markers are cruciform.  This, along with the Christians in #114 tells us that there's at least one Christian-derived religion.
This itself is quite interesting.  What species is Jesus, for instance?  In my CJP writings I've assumed that it's very fragmented - some believe in a human Jesus (unsurprising since humans are mythical in Furrae) while others have various species of Saviour.  One could also imagine various schisms developing between species:
"Jesus was a lion.. He died to save us lions.  You tigers are all going to hell!"
"Heretic!  He was a wolf and all canids are blessed in His sight..."
..repeat for each species.

The timing is another interesting point.  If their Jesus (or Jesi) happened at the same time as ours, it means that there's a fair few 'cubi (to say nothing of Dragons or Fae) who are older than Christ and may possibly remember Him.  Or, if they faith was passed down by long-lived races, it might mean that He died 10'000 years ago or longer.

As for the Dark God, who knows?  It could all have been in Dark Pegasus' imagination like Karras and The Builder* in Thief 2.  On the other hand, there are a lot of very powerful races such as Fae which are almost-godlike anyway - so the Dark God doesn't have to be a god per se.

As for the danger, I think they're probably referring to Abel myself.
(Dib: "Okay.. am I the only one who doesn't see the alien sitting right over there?")

*Praise to Karras!!! (...and the Builder.)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 26, 2006, 06:42:57 PMWhat species is Jesus, for instance?

Wait.  Isn't Aslan Christ?

Anyways, I think it's time to start makin' some popcorn!

...``Ralph, Jesus did not have wheels.''

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Sid

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 26, 2006, 06:42:57 PM
The timing is another interesting point.  If their Jesus (or Jesi) happened at the same time as ours, it means that there's a fair few 'cubi (to say nothing of Dragons or Fae) who are older than Christ and may possibly remember Him.  Or, if they faith was passed down by long-lived races, it might mean that He died 10'000 years ago or longer.

It's also possible that "Jesus" was just one of the roles of a bored Fae... (Or a practical joke gone wrong by a Cubi... or heck, maybe it was a Demon! Wouldn't THAT be awkward?) ...which would also fit well into your bit about the Dark God not having to be an actual God.
:boogie

Manawolf

There is a belief in D&D that deities are merely super powerful individuals that claimed themselves to be the Gods of their respective races or beliefs.  While this is a possibility, that just meant there was a different means to them being deities, and not them simply existing and creating all that exists today.  Mileage varies though, and it is merely one kind of belief in a world where religion exists.  This belief I have just told you of is labeled as "Deism," though that belief also goes with the idea that the "True Creator" (which can pretty much boil down to the Author of the fantasy realm) created all there is and these beings who then went on to claim to be deities after the original Creator left.  But I'm sure Zina and some others have grown tired of this sudden abundance of D&D referencing.  I'm simply going with what I know.

icarus

Quote from: superluser on November 26, 2006, 07:14:58 PM
Wait.  Isn't  Aslan Christ?

yeah. that's one of the reasons he's jesus is popularly drawn as a lion. though i think that the reason aslan's a lion comes from some bit in the bible about lions lying down with lambs, which would create the image of an all-powerful dangerous beast not only protecting but living peacably beside weaker animals (which are prone to following).

i think dan's sworn a few times, but i don't think that religion is really an IMPORTANT part of any of the stories in DMFA's universe. so i think that in general we can think of paladin in this case as the 'super lawful good warrior', minus the religious connections.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Aridas

Yeah. and don't forget what amber said about wild spec. enough of that and you'll probably make her head explode if she reads it all, and then there won't be ANY comic. Do you want that?