11/15, it's...

Started by terrycloth, November 14, 2006, 08:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Wanderer on November 14, 2006, 10:05:32 PM
Ahem. It's been a LONG time. I'm surprised, given Amber's opinion of her early art, that she'd want to remind herself of those ancient days. ~_^
It's so much better, it took me a few seconds to make the connection.  ^_^

The problem could come if they recognize that Abel isn't Merlitz. Or maybe if the real Merlitz stops by for a drink.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

superluser

Quote from: modelincard on November 14, 2006, 10:41:12 PMOr maybe if the real Merlitz stops by for a drink.

That would be very unlikely.  Merlitz just started off on a quest yesterday (or possibly the day before).

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

GabrielsThoughts

there is always the possibility that merlitz will tell them the truth...omiting certain things.

"I'm sorry you've mistaken me for somone else, I'm Abel Rewanz"  and just retain his current form.

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Faerie Alex

Quote from: superluser on November 14, 2006, 10:45:27 PM
Quote from: modelincard on November 14, 2006, 10:41:12 PMOr maybe if the real Merlitz stops by for a drink.

That would be very unlikely.  Merlitz just started off on a quest yesterday (or possibly the day before).
Darn. With the arcs running long, I always forget that several pages go to a day. (Not that I mind, I just forget.) And actually, I think that it was the same day that he set out.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

superluser

Quote from: modelincard on November 14, 2006, 10:48:01 PMAnd actually, I think that it was the same day that he set out.

Dan finds out the day before the tour, and we don't know how long that letter had been in Merlitz's apartment.  Of course, it's not likely that Merlitz has been gone for more than one day, since they would have noticed his absence.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Grenn

But I still agree that Abel could do a quick mind-scan reading thingy :D and get out of it while he answers the easy "How are you?" questions :)

Stygian

...Monty Python's flying circusssss-s-s-s...!

No, seriously. I'm sure Abel will just pull out some old hypnosis-spell. They're just adventurers, and it might be possible that Genesis doesn't know that much magic to tell it's coming beforehand.

Zorro

All this requires is the typical short memory of your average resident of Los Angeles.

Even if it is your brother just say "Do I Know You?"  Then you just smile and look vaguely confused to them and make them uncomfortable till they leave.  BONUS points if you have a screen actors guild card.   :poke

In California being shallow is an art form.

Manawolf

Well Mr. Cubi powers, a simple mind reading could keep up the charade well enough, even if you're not used to disguising yourself.

Madmann135

Abel could always play the Doppleganger card and say one of a few things
"I don't know this Merlitz your talking about, I'm Abel"
"So you know my doppleganger Merlitz, what's he like?"

I find it funny that Abel went through the painstaking process of listing, counting and numbering the things that could go wrong while impersinating someone else.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Zorro on November 14, 2006, 11:33:29 PM
All this requires is the typical short memory of your average resident of Los Angeles.

Even if it is your brother just say "Do I Know You?"  Then you just smile and look vaguely confused to them and make them uncomfortable till they leave.  BONUS points if you have a screen actors guild card.   :poke

In California being shallow is an art form.

Hmm... does it work with normal people? or mean the same thing when people approach you and constantly ask "I think I've met you somewhere before, you remind me of my brother,cousin, other... and yet you have no Idea who theese people are or why they think they know you from somewhere.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Grenn

I donno, I agree in thinking that he should just yell "Die, Human!" and swing a chair at him.

If that doesn't drive them away nothing will :p

Then again, he doesn't know that about Merlitz. Pity....

At least he isn't bored anymore!  :mowhappy

Zedd

Bordem fixes all matters when bluntly outloud

King Of Hearts

Looks like a perfect time for something to knock Aberlitz on the head and feign amnesia.

I'll go get the anvil.

Taross

I am not the Merlitz you are looking for.
*Handwave*

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on November 14, 2006, 10:45:46 PM
there is always the possibility that merlitz will tell them the truth...omiting certain things.

"I'm sorry you've mistaken me for somone else, I'm Abel Rewanz"  and just retain his current form.

One problem - they're adventurers... they go 'round killing demons and stuff. If they get the idea that he's not Merlitz, the possibility that he's a 'cubi who murdered the real one and taken his place may well occur to them.
If that happens, they might try to slay him.  Not that they're likely to, but it will not look good in front of the reporters.

On the other hand, he could just do what a bouncer does and force them to leave  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Alondro on November 14, 2006, 09:53:41 PM
*Charline hmms*  Meh, Abel can pretend to be Merlitz' secret identical twin brother who took his place after Merlitz was squished by an evil dragon.

Oh, look. Another dragon doing squat...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sid

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 15, 2006, 04:24:09 AM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on November 14, 2006, 10:45:46 PM

"I'm sorry you've mistaken me for somone else, I'm Abel Rewanz"  and just retain his current form.

One problem - they're adventurers... they go 'round killing demons and stuff. If they get the idea that he's not Merlitz, the possibility that he's a 'cubi who murdered the real one and taken his place may well occur to them.
If that happens, they might try to slay him.  Not that they're likely to, but it will not look good in front of the reporters.

They also think that Merlitz is nuts, so the truth might actually work. xD
Merbel: "No, I'm not Merlitz, I'm just an Incubus playing the part."
Friends: "Sure you are, Merlitz... sure you are..." *pat his head*
:boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on November 15, 2006, 06:11:03 AM
They also think that Merlitz is nuts, so the truth might actually work. xD
Merbel: "No, I'm not Merlitz, I'm just an Incubus playing the part."
Friends: "Sure you are, Merlitz... sure you are..." *pat his head*

Good point.  And I think 'Merbel' is the best description so far.  I'll have to try and remember that one.

ShiningShadow

Well I hope Abel to get this mind reading in quick. Or else he's screwed but telling the truth hmmmmmmmmmm it will work. But knowing Amber she has something else in mind right Amber? Anywho since the old adventuring group of Merlitz is there at Lost Lake inn. I sense the fuse being lit and the inn being burned to the ground with all that burnet cookies *boohoo*

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 15, 2006, 04:24:09 AM
One problem - they're adventurers... they go 'round killing demons and stuff.

... which means they're likely to have fairly solid mental shielding.

And Gen is a water mage, so she can counter Abel's fire empathy fairly easily. Let's not suggest that "druid and illusionist" Nitemyste might have something like that handy anyway...

Stygian

Mental shielding whilst visiting a pub they've probably been hanging out at for years? I don't think so. Consider the circumstances, and I believe you will find that Abel would have the moment of surprise. As loathe as I am to admit it, were he to play his cards right he could basically toy with them.

If it were me though, I'd make sure the scene was clear and then be honest about it, for dignity's sake. It might take some explaining, but I see no reason why he shouldn't be.

llearch n'n'daCorna

try: Mental shield all the time, since you don't know when you'll be surprised by, say, a Cubi in disguise, or something....

Come on. Am I the only paranoid one who expects people to leap out of the bushes and attack me at any moment?

Sid

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 15, 2006, 10:07:48 AM
try: Mental shield all the time, since you don't know when you'll be surprised by, say, a Cubi in disguise, or something....

Come on. Am I the only paranoid one who expects people to leap out of the bushes and attack me at any moment?

Well, Dan didn't seem overly concerned about shields when he went out on his "If it moves, hit it till it stops" missions...

And Fa'Lina hinted that at least externally applied shields don't hold a long time, so they either got a dedicated mage who constantly re-applies the shields, or they somehow managed to master it themselves.

Of course, surface thoughts can be hidden among garbage (I think I noticed it in Aary's LJ... but we've seen it happening in canon, too), even though that sounds more like an action that requires active focus, so they might only do that when they sense danger from a mindreader.

But I guess we're thinking wayyyyy too complicated again.
:boogie

llearch n'n'daCorna

They're both mages - water and illusion. Well, ok, so NiteMyste is a druid, but it's close enough.

Now, if they were a fighter, like Dan, I'd expect the mental shield thing to slip, but mages? Surely mages learn to protect themselves?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on November 15, 2006, 10:16:04 AM
And Fa'Lina hinted that at least externally applied shields don't hold a long time, so they either got a dedicated mage who constantly re-applies the shields, or they somehow managed to master it themselves.

Of course, surface thoughts can be hidden among garbage (I think I noticed it in Aary's LJ... but we've seen it happening in canon, too), even though that sounds more like an action that requires active focus, so they might only do that when they sense danger from a mindreader.

Yes.  IIRC from Amber's past comments, mental shields for Beings generally take the form of mental distractions as was done in "Dr. Who - Invasion of Time".  Since that takes effort to maintain unless the Being is actually insane, it's probably not something you'd generally do in a pub.

As for magic, I'm not sure if water mages learn that kind of stuff.  Abel will probably tell us in due course.

ShiningShadow

Either that or Abel has to hit one them on the head with a frying pan *CLANG*. :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

Stygian

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 15, 2006, 10:07:48 AM

Absolutely not. But I've witnessed too many people who aren't, unlike me. So I presume, based on past experience and people's attitudes, that it's more likely that they do not walk around with mental shields all the time. And if you can prove I'm wrong, then I'll retract my statement and formulate another point.

ITOS

Quote from: Taross on November 15, 2006, 03:01:33 AM
I am not the Merlitz you are looking for.
*Handwave*

She is not the Merlitz we are looking for.

She is not even a male. :confused
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Alondro

Quote from: Akisohida on November 14, 2006, 09:57:43 PM
I love his look in the last panel. He could always pretend to be Merlitz's evil twin and chase them off? Or act like he is busy with the tour and run to Dan for help? Or pretend he does not know english! Abelitz: 'Ik spreek het geen Engels!' *Flees!*

Curse you, Charline! You took my twin idea while I was typing! *Chases Charline around, knowing how she fears spiders!*

*Charline  :U *  Nuuuuuuuuu!!! 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif