11-13-06 Destania wears glasses?

Started by Faerie Alex, November 12, 2006, 11:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: modelincard on November 13, 2006, 04:01:59 PM
Considering the last few Abel's stories, I wouldn't say that some of those are too dark. I don't think that Alexi will die, but I can see his tentacles doing something without his meaning. He might have to wait for Abel to change him back, though. I figured that his wings/tentacles are being suppressed by the magic making him look like Alexi.
IIRC, DMFA is PG, while Abel's Story is PG-13.

Survey says...!  Better without glasses. :P

bill

Quote from: modelincard on November 13, 2006, 04:01:59 PM
Considering the last few Abel's stories, I wouldn't say that some of those are too dark. I don't think that Alexi will die, but I can see his tentacles doing something without his meaning. He might have to wait for Abel to change him back, though. I figured that his wings/tentacles are being suppressed by the magic making him look like Alexi.
Right, add "Alex Dies" to the list of things that, if they happen, will cause me to eat my hat.

xHaZxMaTx

Is there anything that will cause you to eat your snazzy referree visor?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Stygian on November 13, 2006, 03:35:44 PM
It doesn't matter whether it's his fault or not - he always gets the brunt of the blame anyhow. And that just blows. Unless, of course, Dan gets fed up and does the Texas Chainsaw Massacre...

No, no. If you're going on a rampage, you have to use your wings more like this....
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

xHaZxMaTx

Boxes don't have wings. :P  Unless they're taped on....

thegayhare

but boxes can be made into wings,  If you cut and fold them right

Alan Garou

Quote from: Snazzy Hazzy on November 13, 2006, 05:33:53 PM
Boxes don't have wings. :P  Unless they're taped on....
What about the flaps? Boxes have flaps. They're kinda like wings.

And on the subject of screwing up the interview, I think it would be more likely for it to get screwed up when Alexsi bursts into the Inn during it, so that the reporter thinks that there's some sort of conspiracy. Or think that they're all nuts. (Which they are  :sweatdrop )

Tapewolf

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

xHaZxMaTx

That's a really weird looking wing...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Snazzy Hazzy on November 13, 2006, 05:59:28 PM
That's a really weird looking wing...
It can go right through your heart, fox-boy...  :kruger

'course there's always the old-fashioned approach:

Evil Dan by Eric Harmon

Sid

Quote from: Stygian on November 13, 2006, 03:54:33 PM
Quote from: Sid on November 13, 2006, 03:46:33 PM
That's a situation where MOST people would mess up, unless the questions asked are easy enough to answer with just a few braincells.

She's his sister! He's been living with her enough that her behaviour should have set so deep that it's in his reflexes, cuz that's how close siblings affect each other! I could imitate my sister convincingly with half a brain! And it's just a tour, where the reporter has no clue at all as to who Alexsi really is or what is going on!

Don't. Just, don't.

Don't, just, don't WHAT?

Look, we're talking about a guy who forgot his mother's maiden name, asked about dating options while being tentacle-squeezed by a very angry Succubus, didn't even recognize his own sister at the beach, did an impromptu strip on the roof of his house, and thinks that jumping off a cliff is a fun thing to do.

He is certainly not an idiot, he is often enough on top when it comes to jokes, but he is known to do weird things for shits and giggles whenever he's not out there, saving the planet or at least a town or so.

Dan is an adventurer (and a damn good one). He goes by the motto "If it moves, hit it till it stops". That's a good motto for an adventurer, but it's a bad motto for diplomacy. Given that he had given up his most likely impressive adventuring career before the start of the canon, he hasn't been at home much in his pre-20s. He works mostly on reflexes and follows wild ideas without thinking about the consequences.

Now he is supposed to play somebody who is pretty much the opposite. Alexsi asks first and uses violence later. She is in-control and calm on the outside (at least in public). She is also somebody who most likely has a slightly different vocabulary and mannerisms. Sister or not, I honestly doubt that Dan can keep that up. At least not under stress.

If the reporter only asks nice questions, then yes. If the reporter leaves before some random idiot stumbles in, then yes. If the reporter doesn't want to see the infamous mallet, then yes. If the reporter doesn't bring up Alexsi's boyfriend, then yes. If the reporter doesn't notice the changed eye color, then yes.

Those are a lot of "if"s right there. In the best case, Dan's disguise will hold, yes. But there are too many things that can go wrong, and none of them are because Dan is "stupid" or anything like that.

And that is not even factoring in Abel, who can just as well cause the interview to go WAY south.

You're also assuming that the reporter doesn't know ANYTHING about Alexsi. In most cases, a reporter gets briefed with a bio of the host and a few rough facts about the place. Possibly a picture, too. She might know about Pyro, she might know about things that happened during one of Dan's various adventures. She might know about Alexsi's real mother. Does Dan know all of that?

And before you answer, let me point something out: DAN IS NOT YOU.
Yes, YOU may be able to flawlessly imitate your sister (I doubt it), but DAN doesn't even know of Pyro's relationship with his sister. He should know enough about her and the inn to not screw up, but that's the best case. One odd question or one accidental reflex and boom.

It's fully possible that Dan gets through this easily. It certainly would be plot convenient while we focus on Destania. But that doesn't say anything about what could happen and why.

And I still want an explanation WTF that "Don't. Just don't." tries to imply. You're the one who started whining out of the blue about how Dan is the butt of all the stupid-jokes and always gets all the blame. I'm just pointing out that your view of Dan seems to be very one-sided and that Dan has many strengths and admirable traits. It's just that "pretending to be Alexsi while being stuck in a force-shifted body" is most likely not one of them.
:boogie

bill

Quote from: Snazzy Hazzy on November 13, 2006, 05:03:03 PM
Is there anything that will cause you to eat your snazzy referree visor?
If Abel's gay.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sid on November 13, 2006, 06:12:15 PM
If the reporter only asks nice questions, then yes. If the reporter leaves before some random idiot stumbles in, then yes. If the reporter doesn't want to see the infamous mallet, then yes. If the reporter doesn't bring up Alexsi's boyfriend, then yes. If the reporter doesn't notice the changed eye color, then yes.

It's Abel I'm worried about.  That Wildy insisted it had to be Merlitz and not just any old feline bouncer ("Oh, Merlitz?  It's not his shift today.  I'm Abel.")  suggests that they want to ask him specific things.  About learning magic as a Being, or a brief word or two about the Human (e.g. "..and the inn's spare room is supposed to be haunted.  We talked to Nigel who actually saw the ghost..")

QuoteShe might know about Pyro, she might know about things that happened during one of Dan's various adventures. She might know about Alexsi's real mother. Does Dan know all of that?

I'm not convinced anyone knows about Pyro apart from her immediate friends.  I'll grant you that particular question would totally destroy it everything, mind.  The consolation is that Dan would have good reason to get mad right back at Alexsi since there's no way he could possibly have known.

QuoteYou [Stygian] are the one who started whining out of the blue about how Dan is the butt of all the stupid-jokes and always gets all the blame.
Well I'm in the Dan-is-being-picked-on-too-much camp as well, but that's mainly because I know he's so talented, I guess :P

Sid

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 13, 2006, 06:29:52 PM
It's Abel I'm worried about.  That Wildy insisted it had to be Merlitz and not just any old feline bouncer ("Oh, Merlitz?  It's not his shift today.  I'm Abel.")  suggests that they want to ask him specific things.  About learning magic as a Being, or a brief word or two about the Human (e.g. "..and the inn's spare room is supposed to be haunted.  We talked to Nigel who actually saw the ghost..")

Yes, Abel is a big blank (which is why it's good that he only got Merlitz's part and not Alexsi's), but I mostly focused on Dan here and only mentioned Abel in passing.

QuoteShe might know about Pyro, she might know about things that happened during one of Dan's various adventures. She might know about Alexsi's real mother. Does Dan know all of that?

I'm not convinced anyone knows about Pyro apart from her immediate friends.  I'll grant you that particular question would totally destroy it everything, mind.  The consolation is that Dan would have good reason to get mad right back at Alexsi since there's no way he could possibly have known.

I think that Dan wouldn't be blamed for botching up the interview unless the reason had been avoidable. If he gets across a question that honestly catches him off-guard, there is no good way to react other than making stuff up like crazy (again: best case). However, if he does something Dan-ish out of reflex in a regular situation, he should be blamed (after factoring in that the entire situation was one big damage-control action that had to be organized under dumb circumstances).

QuoteYou [Stygian] are the one who started whining out of the blue about how Dan is the butt of all the stupid-jokes and always gets all the blame.

Well I'm in the Dan-is-being-picked-on-too-much camp as well, but that's mainly because I know he's so talented, I guess :P

Dan gets picked on a lot, and he certainly offers a few reasons for that. I guess it comes with the lifestyle - he happens to do weird things, and he is easily talked into doing crazy stuff. It's what makes him vulnerable to ridicule and so likable at the same time. (And every now and then, he is to blame :P)
But there are more than enough moments where he gets lots of praise and/or attention, so I guess that's karmic balance in a way.

I'm in the "Dan gets too much attention" camp. Yes, he is one of the main characters, and the comic is (in part) named after him, but I often feel that the other characters should get more time in the spotlight.
I think that many of the "Wildy had it coming"-ish opinions are based on the simple fact that we only see those characters in certain moments. Just like Dan only got his more serious during the Dark-Pegasus arc, many of the other characters are still locked down in a slightly one-sided characterization. Wildy, Mab, Mathilda, Kria, Azlan, even Abel(*), Alexsi and Pyro to a degree. I'd love to see more of them, because I know that there is more to them than just that. Wildy is not heartlessly evil and inconsiderate, Mab is not just plain oblivious, and so on.

(*) Yes, I know that Abel's behavior will most likely be explained in Abel's Story, but that will take TIME, and that information will not be available to the other characters. Besides, it's a slight tease for us right now. I'd love to see more of Abel like we saw in the first strip of the post-SAIA arc. There is depth there, but we will not see more of it because it would spoil Abel's Story. (At least that's my guess...)
:boogie

Stig Hemmer

After showing us Dan handling the interview with seemingly flying colours, I doubt Amber would then let him fail.  That would be bad story-telling. (In my humble opinion, I'm not a story teller, just an avid story reader)

There are other jokes that can be used in that part of the story. I can think of several, and I am sure the artist formerly known as Panyko can think of better ones.

I am more interested in the Twink part of this storyline.  What in the world is Biggs thinking?  He must know this will make Wildy come running.  He must know that he will end up hurt and Alexsi-less.  He may not know about the abilities of the rest of the crew, but I get the feeling that Wildy alone could kick the entire Twink territories collective ass and be home in time for supper.  And Biggs knows this.

Something more than the obvious is going on here. :mowdizzy
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

Amber Williams

Quote from: Stig Hemmer on November 13, 2006, 07:21:20 PM
There are other jokes that can be used in that part of the story. I can think of several, and I am sure the artist formerly known as Panyko can think of better ones.

..... :mwaha

Distracting

Something more than the obvious is going on here. :mowdizzy
Something so amazingly obvious, we'd never see it coming. Ironies have always been fun like that.

In terms of the story, I currently have the notion that Biggs may or may not be Destania's boss and so thought that he had enough power to do that. The may not was referring to an idea I had which was basically a mental image of a sign saying "We Kidnap 4 Cheap"...or something to that effect.

Arcalane

Quote from: Amber Panyko on November 13, 2006, 07:28:41 PM

Quote from: Han Solo"I have a bad feeling about this."

:P

Supercheese

Other Star Wars characters said it, not just Han Solo... but I guess his was the famous...-est.

Arcalane

True, but I think Han's stating of it is the most memorable. After all, Han shot first. :P

Quote from: C-3PO"We're all doomed!"

llearch n'n'daCorna

bill

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 13, 2006, 05:30:25 PM
Quote from: Stygian on November 13, 2006, 03:35:44 PM
It doesn't matter whether it's his fault or not - he always gets the brunt of the blame anyhow. And that just blows. Unless, of course, Dan gets fed up and does the Texas Chainsaw Massacre...

No, no. If you're going on a rampage, you have to use your wings more like this....

Ooh!  Someone needs to make a picture of Dan with Ash style chainsaw-wings.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Cogidubnus

Quote from: superluser on November 13, 2006, 09:37:42 PM

I am reminded of the time it was suggested at the Dojo to create a sort of Chainsaw-sword. It's like, making Ramen Noodles in cooking wine. Two good things mixed together do not necessarily make a better thing.

The person who suggested this chainsaw-sword was ridiculed and made to suffer the mockery of all present.  >:3

superluser

Quote from: Cogidubnus on November 14, 2006, 12:53:36 AM
Quote from: superluser on November 13, 2006, 09:37:42 PM

I am reminded of the time it was suggested at the Dojo to create a sort of Chainsaw-sword. It's like, making Ramen Noodles in cooking wine. Two good things mixed together do not necessarily make a better thing.

The person who suggested this chainsaw-sword was ridiculed and made to suffer the mockery of all present.  >:3

To be fair, a chainsaw hand was a stupid idea, too.  That's what made it so great.

P.S. ARMY OF DARKNESS PLUSH!

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cogidubnus on November 14, 2006, 12:53:36 AM

You can get those for about £40 at any good DIY store.  Look under 'hedge-trimmers' :P

Taross

I just wanna toss in my two cents in Destania looks better with glasses camp :D

That's also just because I wear em too, and do you know how HARD it is to get three lenses fitted on a frame?

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Amber Panyko on November 13, 2006, 07:28:41 PM

Ohoh Amber is setting us up for the disaster that is impending at Lost Lake *Yeahhhhhhhhhh* violence, explosions, and burnt cookies *woot*.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Taross on November 14, 2006, 05:50:08 AM
I just wanna toss in my two cents in Destania looks better with glasses camp :D

That's also just because I wear em too, and do you know how HARD it is to get three lenses fitted on a frame?

Considered a normal pair of glasses and a monocle? :-)

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you about Destania, however. Sorry about that...

Alondro

*Charles suspects that HE will show up at Lost Lake!*  See, I'll come wandering in and everyone will shout 'AHHHHH!!  A human!  Kill it'.  Then I'll go running all around and chaos will follow!  But Merlitz won't come after me, cuz he's actually Abel now, and the reporter, who has gathered all the dirt on everyone in Lost Lake for a sordid expose in her series on scandelous goings on at many a tavern, will realize that this is not the behavior of one known for his rantings about the mythical 'human' and thus must be an imposter!  Meanwhile, I'll unknowingly be spreading the diseases I carry all over Furrae and everyone will die, save for Dan and a few others.  Many of those who don't die immediately will get a bleached appearance and go insane, declaring that it is divine retribution for the evils of their society.  Thus Dan will have to become the 'Omega Incubus' and sacrifice himself to cure the few who remain, dying in a fountain at the end of the comic after the roving bands of sick ones impale him with a spear in a symbolic Christ-like manner.

Yep, no one'll see that coming. 
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif