Abel's Story, 10-31-06

Started by DigitalMan, October 31, 2006, 03:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShiningShadow

Maybe somebody here could give Amber a chance to get a chart ready for the demology mixing and such.

Aridas

Quote from: Amber Panyko on November 02, 2006, 04:48:05 AM
And Ink was WROOOOOOONG! >:O
And I told them you told them he was wrong already D:

Stygian

Quote from: DigitalMan on November 02, 2006, 10:32:07 AM
I'm still wondering if we have a few geniuses on this board, or just a few very good pranksters. Or maybe my oversized-but-fragile ego doesn't want to admit that there's anyone here smarter than me :shifty

I was just wondering last night if I should give one of my characters different colored eyes. The answer appears to be, "No."

Ehhm... Let me just say that my point of view is this; people have very different types of intelligence. Because of genetics, we think differently even to start off with (e.g. personally I am a very practical and intuitive thinker and learn best and think deepest when actively involved in or observing something, whereas my sister is a more scholarly type who learns best from reading and contemplation), and then we learn afterwards to use different parts of our brain to different extent, even further accentuating the difference between us all and specializing us. It even leaves a physical imprint upon our DNA, "grafting" itself into us and what we are. One person may be very intelligent and quick in thought in one situation, whereas in another they are hopelessly lost. And though there can be no denying that some people are clearly less intelligent than others, this often has a very clear reason to it.
   Then, when you apply emotion and opinion to all this, it gains another level of complexity. Whether you study the purely biological, biochemical nature and function of emotions, or emotions in a personal and social context, I beleive that you will come to the conclusion that they "interfere" with intelligence. You could say that they inhibit it, but I would rather say that they "distort" it. However, seeing as being biased towards something means refusing to see alternatives or options because you are too one-tracked as a result of your emotions, emotionality tied too closely together with intelligence most probably produces bad results.

But I am rambling. I will say this; intelligence is relative. Be glad of what you have.

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 02, 2006, 10:12:34 AM
What branches of science did you want to see?

I WANT TO SEE MORE STEAMPUNK! FINAL FANTASY 7 IS THE WAY!

Toric

Quote from: RJ on November 02, 2006, 06:13:46 AM
Quote from: Amber Panyko on November 02, 2006, 05:40:44 AM
Contrary to myth,  the Academy isn't this giant Cubi radar that picks up magical headwing-vibes and deploys agents to yoink each and every child when they come to age. 

:B Everyone knows only Hogwarts does that kind of stuff.

Actually when I read that I immediately thought "Xavier Institute."
Yap by Silver.

DigitalMan

Hey, I actually understood all of Stygian's post. Sweet. I'm quite the practical thinker (when I choose to be, mind you).

I got a 104% in Biology II, so when Alondro's post started to lose me a bit, I was like, "... You've gotta be kidding me..."

Then again, I keep forgetting that a lot of people here are older than me and have been through college. I think the overall maturity (or lack thereof) of people casts a veil over that fact :P

... w00t! My first topic ever has now gone thoroughly off-topic! I feel special :giggle

Teroniss

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on November 02, 2006, 12:17:16 PM
And i knew Ink was wrong from the very get go, cuz unlike some ppl, I actually remember Amber stating the All or Nothing bit with Creature-Being breeding.

ShiningShadow

That's why genetic is so funny in some aspects. You will never know what you get in the gene pool. But that's the fun of having two people who love each other throw caution to the wind and produce a beautiful baby. They don't care of the genetics of the child. They will love it unconditionally.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Teroniss on November 02, 2006, 06:13:13 PM
And i knew Ink was wrong from the very get go, cuz unlike some ppl, I actually remember Amber stating the All or Nothing bit with Creature-Being breeding.
That may have been before my time.  In any case, maybe this will stop Shining from thinking I know everything about Furrae.   >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

DigitalMan

Quote from: ShiningShadow on November 02, 2006, 06:18:05 PM
That's why genetic is so funny in some aspects. You will never know what you get in the gene pool. But that's the fun of having two people who love each other throw caution to the wind and produce a beautiful baby. They don't care of the genetics of the child. They will love it unconditionally.

Well, technically speaking... 1) People "throwing caution to the wind" are not likely looking to have a child, and 2) With science, we can tell exactly what gene combinations will result in what. Actually, if I recall correctly, we can dtermine the gene combinations, and alter the outcome.

Which makes me wonder if we could cause that different eye color thing...

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 02, 2006, 06:19:34 PM
Quote from: Teroniss on November 02, 2006, 06:13:13 PM
That may have been before my time.  In any case, maybe this will stop Shining from thinking I know everything about Furrae.   >:3

I'm so sorry TW I go to you because you are very knowledgable in this subject, and I'm still new here I love to aske you these things to help me uderstand DMFA and Furare. I'm so sorry I got you so upset why don't you pm me. I'm a very reasonable person ok. No hard feelings.

Tapewolf

Quote from: ShiningShadow on November 02, 2006, 06:30:09 PM

I'm so sorry TW I go to you because you are very knowledgable in this subject, and I'm still new here I love to aske you these things to help me uderstand DMFA and Furare. I'm so sorry I got you so upset why don't you pm me. I'm a very reasonable person ok. No hard feelings.

Oh, it's no big deal.. it's just a bit embarrassing.  And it makes me feel like a charlatan when I don't know the answer  :smile

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 02, 2006, 06:35:13 PM
Quote from: ShiningShadow on November 02, 2006, 06:30:09 PM

Oh, it's no big deal.. it's just a bit embarrassing.  And it makes me feel like a charlatan when I don't know the answer  :smile

Dude no your not a charlatan. You are TW if you don't know the answer that's ok. I don't hold it against you. Sometimes I bounce off stuff in your direction to see in Furare if it's possible of certain things. If I embarrassed you then you should feel proud you have this fountain of knowledge at your fingertips. If you don't know then it's fine I'm very easy going.

Kasarn

/digs out link

Quote from: Amber Panykohttp://nice.purrsia.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=79;t=002182;p=1#000008

posted 26-08-2005
In Cubi/Beings...a child will either become a full-cubi or not one at all. There isn't any "half" in the sense they get cubi abilities of some but not all.

It was known long before that post but I could never find out where it was said...

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Kasarn on November 02, 2006, 06:52:10 PM
/digs out link

Quote from: Amber Panykohttp://nice.purrsia.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=79;t=002182;p=1#000008

posted 26-08-2005
In Cubi/Beings...a child will either become a full-cubi or not one at all. There isn't any "half" in the sense they get cubi abilities of some but not all.

It was known long before that post but I could never find out where it was said...

That's cool that helps you get pie for that. I never knew it was so complicated in those areas.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kasarn on November 02, 2006, 06:52:10 PM
/digs out link

posted 26-08-2005

Yes.  That isn't quite the same as "Being + Creature = Creature", though...

Kasarn

OH FINE *digs through notes*

Quote from: Amber Panykohttp://nice.purrsia.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=79;t=002236;p=1#000012

posted 07-09-2005
If [Fae] do, no one would really know since the offspring seems null of any Fae(or magic traits) and is just born a being.

Fae + non-Fae = Being

A Fae is a Creature
Therefore a Being and a Creature is not always a Creature

:tmyk

ShiningShadow

Yeah it's something that fall in the category in what Amber's universe of DMFA should look like.

Alondro

It's not so simple as genes = behavior.  If fact, recent long-term research has demonstrated quite conclusively that environment and nuture play a huge role in both behavior and other factors as well.  Nurturing mother rats stimulated brain development in their pups, and the pups were calmer.  This is now know to be caused by neurotransmitter responses to grooming.  It has also been found that social behavior, certain foods, sunlight, and chemicals can permanently alter gene expression by either triggering or inhibiting the processes of DNA methylation and acetylation (by DNA (or histone) acetylase and methylase activity).  These tiny molecular marker groups function to tell certain DNA binding proteins, such as transcription factors and histones, where to bind and which genes to activate or package into heterochromatin (which means the genes aren't expressed due to tight supercoiling of DNA, of which the centromeres of chromosomes are an example, vs transcriptionally active euchromatin).  These patterns of methylation and acetylation are HERITABLE as well!  Experiments with nematodes demonstrated that methylation and acetylation patterns can be passed down for up to 80 generations! 

So, our lifestyle and eating habits, plus the chemicals we put into ourselves, can alter future generations gene expression patterns for centuries without even mutating a single nucleotide base pair.   Neat! 

*surveys the vast plains of slain forumites, whose heads exploded*  Uh-oh... Amber's gonna blame me for this!  *flees!*   :aack
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

bill

Okay, there's overanalysis, and then there's that.  :erk

T. Dancer

so may i ask why i was called a newbie?
I've read the demonology 101 chapters and that's why i wrote what i did. Also considering i only joined this forum yeasterday i really don't think it's expected of me to read every other post in every other topic.
I've also been reading this comic since sometime last year. I just don't often bother with joining or posting on forums.
So please no newb calling?

Alondro

*can't resist*  I blinded them with science!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: T. Dancer on November 02, 2006, 07:42:45 PM
I've read the demonology 101 chapters and that's why i wrote what i did. Also considering i only joined this forum yeasterday i really don't think it's expected of me to read every other post in every other topic.
I've also been reading this comic since sometime last year. I just don't often bother with joining or posting on forums.
So please no newb calling?

T, you were labelled as a "newbie" because you're new to the forum. Nothing more, nothing less - no condescension implied.

Now, if you'd been called a "noob", that would be a different matter. But, for all the labels we add, we're a reasonably welcoming bunch, if a trifle strange. Don't take it personal, like, ok? :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

T. Dancer

Heh, is cool.
Just play alot of WoW where the term "Newb" and  "Noob" are both used as dorogatory terms.
Anyway wierdos are great company  :) Most of my friends (and of course myself) fall into that catagory   :giggle
so no offence taken.
Anyway hasn't the topic of convo wandered off a bit  :)

Roureem Egas

Quote from: T. Dancer on November 02, 2006, 11:02:31 PM
Heh, is cool.
Just play alot of WoW where the term "Newb" and  "Noob" are both used as dorogatory terms.
Anyway wierdos are great company  :) Most of my friends (and of course myself) fall into that catagory   :giggle
so no offence taken.
Anyway hasn't the topic of convo wandered off a bit  :)

When did it not? :3

DigitalMan

*understood most of Alondro's post, and inferred enough to get all of it* Sweet! Now I don't feel so stupid anymore!

... *shrugs* I can't even get my own topic back on track. Oh well, carry on!

Imperial fox

*as usual he pulls off some random stunt only to get killed or brutally injured again*
you must visit it. http://www.kitsunekiki.com/comic/Kyuukei/Kyuukei_06.htm
it is from a comic...
*looks up another web comic*
Whoopeee-update
*Two men step behind him*
oh no not again.
*bolts for the door*

Tapewolf

Quote from: T. Dancer on November 02, 2006, 07:42:45 PM
Because you're new the the forum.  As Llearch says, no malice was intended.  Quite the opposite in fact, since there is a regrettable tendency for one or two members to snap at people and believe it or not, I was trying to prevent that from happening.

It's customary (although not obligatory) to run an introductory thread in the Shout-out forum where you can say hi and be greeted.  But that's up to you.
In any case, welcome to the forum.

Psaakyrn

And to throw another curveball, also note that magic by itself can serve as a cause of final type. Example: Cynthia with her extra (presumably functional) eyeball. It is not a clear-cut form of gene-mutation, because extra eyeballs and etc is not a simple case of gene-swapping.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

ShiningShadow

That too I would not be surprised of many gene manipulations that is going on around here at Furare. But that's me rambling a tune for you.

Alan Garou

Wait... The first quote of Amber from The Nice said that there are a few 'taur cubi. Was she dropping hints about Dan and Matilda's compatibility? Only one way to find out!  :mwaha (Starts to speculate wildly, then writes naughty fanfictions)