Abel's Story, 10-31-06

Started by DigitalMan, October 31, 2006, 03:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manawolf

Once again this all feels like Jack territory, especially when you consider it's halloween.  A most appropriate place to be.

Alondro

Quote from: MT Hazard on October 31, 2006, 10:02:01 AM
Spoken Grammar if often ignored by the majority of people, that makes this strip more realistic in my opinion. The thing I picked up on was Devin saying "Your crushing me" I would imagine a child would be more likely to say "your hurting me". brilliant atmoshere.

Uhm, that'd be (you're = you are) in both cases, not (your), which indicates possession:  That is (your) club.  vs  (You're) going to get clubbed.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

KarlOmega1

Quote from: Manawolf on October 31, 2006, 12:17:00 PM
Once again this all feels like Jack territory, especially when you consider it's halloween.  A most appropriate place to be.

Though somewhat a step off-topic, I agree....

Also...Dang, If my mother had said such things I would be running from the spot, crying my bloody head off!
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

DigitalMan

Quote from: KarlOmega1 on October 31, 2006, 01:41:30 PM
Also...Dang, If my mother had said such things I would be running from the spot, crying my bloody head off!

Bah, I'd just kick my mom in the face. But that's now, as opposed to at Devin's age... How old is he there, anyways?

Mel Dragonkitty

Some people just shouldn't be parents. In a store once I heard a mother tell her kid (a boy of about six) that she should have had the hospital throw him away and kept the afterbirth. After all these years that one still rates high on my "why aren't I allowed to slap people who really need it?" meter.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

LigerJet

I knew this comic was gonna be darker than -anything- in DMFA but...this...is the most depressing webcomic ever. :disbelief 

DigitalMan

Quote from: LigerJet on October 31, 2006, 03:32:46 PM
I knew this comic was gonna be darker than -anything- in DMFA but...this...is the most depressing webcomic ever. :disbelief 

Which, again, proves that Amber is capable of being serious. Which is really the most shocking part :dface And it shows that she can convey emotions expertly. Depressing, perhaps; art, definitely.

That sounds so much like brown-nosing... hmm...

LigerJet

Oh, I agree, it's great, excellent art.  I just wanted to reply with a simple message.

Tapewolf

I've seen worse from Hopkins, IMHO - that's why I don't read Jack.
I prefer it dark actually, but I'm not sure I'd be too happy if it was like this for an extended period of time.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Faerie Alex

Quote from: DigitalMan on October 31, 2006, 03:36:21 PM
Which, again, proves that Amber is capable of being serious.
That and http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_VDaylast.php

It's fun to see seriousness sometimes.

"...should have killed you like the others..." I don't think anyone's said this (in this thread) yet...but could his mom be a creature (not a being)? I always assumed she was a being, but the comment might suggest otherwise. :/
Jeez I need to update this thing.

ninjannihilator

This was actually a very serious comic but when I read "you fucking bastard" :giggle; I really couldn't stop laughing. I saw that one coming a mile away. So now it seems like Devin had a jealousy complex. Can't wait until we find out on Saturday :eager.

terrycloth

No, this: http://deo.comicgenesis.com/d/20020925.html is the most depressing comic ever.

Well, the series. Not that one strip in particular.

(Also, 'one of her relatives' is singular because the noun is 'one' and 'of her relatives' is a prepositional phrase... 'her relatives' are plural because the noun is 'relatives')

('a lot of things' are exceptions to the rule, though -- like, apparently, 'a lot of' is an adjective now. Go figure.)

LigerJet

Quote from: terrycloth on October 31, 2006, 04:16:30 PM

No, this: http://deo.comicgenesis.com/d/20020925.html is the most depressing comic ever.

Well, the series. Not that one strip in particular.

(Also, 'one of her relatives' is singular because the noun is 'one' and 'of her relatives' is a prepositional phrase... 'her relatives' are plural because the noun is 'relatives')

('a lot of things' are exceptions to the rule, though -- like, apparently, 'a lot of' is an adjective now. Go figure.)
Okay, so it's the most depressing comic I've ever read.

Caswin

Is that the nurse from the last comic holding Devin?  Did she lose her hat?
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Slacker Spice

This leads to interesting interpretation - Devin's father left upon first seeing him as a baby, and his mother went to her grave cursing his existance for apparently driving her husband away. Perhaps Devin is jealous of Abel, whose parents loved him despite what would have been major flaws to his own. If he is, it's a good example of the saying "It is easy to despise what we cannot have."

"Oh, listen to Mary Poppins. He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You English men are always so... bloody hell! [counting them on his fingers.] Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks. Oh god... I'm English."
"Welcome to the nancy tribe."
Spike and Giles; "Tabula Rasa"; Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Aw, great, you blew up the 'wah-wah' machine!"
"PORCUPINES ARE GOD!" - Nostalgia

Aridas

How could that be, when Devin doesn't (well, not evidenced yet) KNOW that for sure? he'd have to pick on EVERYONE with that reasoning.

GabrielsThoughts

let's keep in mind amber has drawn more evil things in the past

It being halloween I plan on using my psychic powers on the all powerfull CRT to delve in to the spirt world and come up with baseless assumptions... David is angry at Rose because she spent the money that he earned telemarketing intended for use for his medical care at the dollar store, and she didn't even buy food...no wait wrong David, Wrong Universe... and Rose is pregers... I'm concentraiting... Amber Williams will remain happily married for the forseeable furture unless something bad happens...darn, still Wrong universe, but at least I'm closer to the source....Devin will 'not' admit his undying love for Abel in a sonnet, yes I can see it clearly now Devin is not gay, and he does not have a thing for Abel other than a rivalry complex...Xanver is not entirely out of the picture, there could be more trouble ahead. I wouldn't put it past Xander to show up at the last minute and make a complete ass of himself...wait there's more ... I see, I see, Merlitz with an angry expession on his face,  and Danielle having trouble taking a leak standing up cuase he drank too much.  

Darn the psychic visions are fading...and I have apperently made an ass out of myself.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Sid

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 31, 2006, 10:06:51 PM
How could that be, when Devin doesn't (well, not evidenced yet) KNOW that for sure? he'd have to pick on EVERYONE with that reasoning.

Well, the gap is very large in Abel's case. Abel, in Devin's eyes, may very well just be a freakish boy with wings who still gets full love and support by his parents. On the other hand, Devin is (from what we see) completely normal, but his family fell apart completely simply because he exists. That's a very sharp contrast he might pick on.
:boogie

Zedd

All I can say I wanna give Devin a big freaking hug

Stygian

Quote from: Sid on October 31, 2006, 10:19:14 PM
Well, the gap is very large in Abel's case. Abel, in Devin's eyes, may very well just be a freakish boy with wings who still gets full love and support by his parents. On the other hand, Devin is (from what we see) completely normal, but his family fell apart completely simply because he exists. That's a very sharp contrast he might pick on.

I'm pretty sure someone has already said that...

Aridas

That'd be assuming anyone with wings is considered a freak, and that's a pretty big assumption. I think even 300 years ago people are race-aware, that PARENTS would tend to be the same as their children, and not be considered a freak to their own mother and father >_>

Sid

Quote from: Stygian on October 31, 2006, 10:34:19 PM

I'm pretty sure someone has already said that...

I'm pretty sure tons of things have been said already. I had just replied to another post to try to explain why Devin chose Abel to pick on; but thanks for the overly constructive comment, your post really contributed to this thread.

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on October 31, 2006, 10:40:30 PM

That'd be assuming anyone with wings is considered a freak, and that's a pretty big assumption. I think even 300 years ago people are race-aware, that PARENTS would tend to be the same as their children, and not be considered a freak to their own mother and father >_>

Two things wrong here.
1) Please notice the "Abel, in Devin's eyes, may very well just be a freakish boy with wings" bit. This is purely about how Devin sees the world, not about what Abel's parents think.
2) The start of Abel's Story kinda shows that kids with wings are NOT overly common. There's the parents' reaction (since both Cid and May DON'T have wings, a winged child is "not 100% normal", to put it nicely), there is the headmistress, there is Devin, there is Cindy's death (which may be related to her not being "normal"), and possibly more that I forgot again. The family basically had to move out of town to live a halfway normal life, so my assumption is not THAT big, I think.
:boogie

ShiningShadow

I think in Devin's case he's the Lex Luthor and Abel is Clark or something to that. I think is the startling contrast of both of them growing up with the wings and parents how things goes from one end to the other end. Right now I should give Devin a big Hug and tell him your are special and the love is always there by those who give it to you unconditionally.

Drake Manaweilder

There's one thing people seem to have missed in this comic... The fact that one of the nurses (the one that is holding Devin) is refering Devins mom as: "m'lady" (my lady)  which tells me that Devins mom is some form of noble. Also, in the previous one she appears to be wharing something that a Midevil lady (as in lord/lady) would have on.

Maby this is just coincedence or some term used at the time, but it seems interesting to me.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drake Manaweilder on November 01, 2006, 03:02:13 PM
There's one thing people seem to have missed in this comic... The fact that one of the nurses (the one that is holding Devin) is refering Devins mom as: "m'lady" (my lady)  which tells me that Devins mom is some form of noble.

Quite right.  I noticed that at once and promptly forgot about it :P
What I can't fathom is when Ink said that if the strip was in colour we'd have recognised the parents immediately.  Since the father is wholly obscured, it suggests he is referring to the mother.  But I can't think of any nobles in the entire strip except for Queen Hollyann who is the wrong species and nearly 400 years in the future (unless she's a Creature).

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

TheDXM

I can kinda relate to Devin on this level. Poor guy. I imagine he has alot of pent-up loneliness

Teroniss

Quote from: Drake Manaweilder on November 01, 2006, 03:02:13 PM
There's one thing people seem to have missed in this comic... The fact that one of the nurses (the one that is holding Devin) is refering Devins mom as: "m'lady" (my lady)  which tells me that Devins mom is some form of noble. Also, in the previous one she appears to be wharing something that a Midevil lady (as in lord/lady) would have on.

Maby this is just coincedence or some term used at the time, but it seems interesting to me.

Or maybe the bunny lady is their maid. Even if your not a noble, a maid might commonly say something like mistress, m'lady, or ma'am when addressing the head of the household.

Drake Manaweilder

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 01, 2006, 03:10:44 PM
What I can't fathom is when Ink said that if the strip was in colour we'd have recognised the parents immediately.  Since the father is wholly obscured, it suggests he is referring to the mother. 
I did have a theory as I was walking here from school but I ended up shooting two massive holes in it

It was that May was a cubi and she sommened a doppleganger, that double became a noble(maby by may pulling a few strings), who then had Devin. Then the real May decided to get rid of her double for what ever reason (thus the whole "feaver" thing)

The problems with this is that i'm suddenly doubting that Dopplegangers can actually have children. (as i think all they are are illusions with some physical elements under the illusion) And this woulden't explain the whole "should've killed you with the others" thing.

also:
Quote from: Teroniss on November 01, 2006, 03:44:13 PM
Or maybe the bunny lady is their maid. Even if your not a noble, a maid might commonly say something like mistress, m'lady, or ma'am when addressing the head of the household.

I haden't thought of that. :E

Blast

Quote from: rt on October 31, 2006, 09:39:06 AMAs for the grammer/spelling police ..
*tosses some random punctuation and miss-spelled words in a pit and watches chaos ensue*

// throws rt in the pit as well // :)

So long as it's all nice and contained and not in mainstream culture, it's quite fine by me. Easier to ignore that way. :3

ninjannihilator

Quote from: Drake Manaweilder on November 01, 2006, 03:55:18 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 01, 2006, 03:10:44 PM
What I can't fathom is when Ink said that if the strip was in colour we'd have recognised the parents immediately.  Since the father is wholly obscured, it suggests he is referring to the mother. 
I did have a theory as I was walking here from school but I ended up shooting two massive holes in it

It was that May was a cubi and she sommened a doppleganger, that double became a noble(maby by may pulling a few strings), who then had Devin. Then the real May decided to get rid of her double for what ever reason (thus the whole "feaver" thing)

The problems with this is that i'm suddenly doubting that Dopplegangers can actually have children. (as i think all they are are illusions with some physical elements under the illusion) And this woulden't explain the whole "should've killed you with the others" thing.

also:
Quote from: Teroniss on November 01, 2006, 03:44:13 PM

I haden't thought of that. :E

Don't you think that's a little far fetched. We have nothing that says that May is a cubi and why would she make her double call Devin a "fucking bastard". And then you even poked a hole in your own theory.