*READ!* Index your Art! Seriously. We're not kidding.

Started by RJ, October 16, 2006, 09:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJ

:) Hello all. I am here to help. No, please don't be shy and run away. I promise you many muffins after you read this helpful guide to aid you in your endevours to showcase your wonderful art!

Now, lately there have been a few problems where art gets (oh noes) buried under tonnes of discussion. If you have been in this situation before, I'm sure you know just how frustrating it can be to go diving through page after page just to find a new piece of art!

Because of this, we ask that you perform a simple task each time you update:

Index your art.

Whenever you post up a new piece normally, also please update the first page to include the link to the new piece, as well as a link to the new post you have just made so people can find where it has been discussed!

Doing this will be a big time saver, and all your fans will love you for it.

Thank you,

The Administation

Now, who wants those muffins I promised?

This post has also been placed in the Art Rules thread.

Tapewolf

That's what I've already been doing.  Do I get a muffin?  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: RJ on October 16, 2006, 09:04:37 AM
:) Hello all. I am here to help. No, please don't be shy and run away. I promise you many muffins after you read this helpful guide to aid you in your endevours to showcase your wonderful art!

That's a threat, right? I mean, we all -know- what your muffins are like... :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

RJ

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 16, 2006, 09:06:47 AM

Why yes, yes you do  :) Have you been referencing to points in the thread where that piece has been discussed though?

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 16, 2006, 09:10:54 AM

I might be bluffing :3

Tapewolf

Quote from: RJ on October 16, 2006, 09:22:26 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on October 16, 2006, 09:06:47 AM

Why yes, yes you do  :) Have you been referencing to points in the thread where that piece has been discussed though?

Ah, now that could perhaps do with further explanation.  If you mean cross-referencing within a discussion, then no, because the discussion has generally centred around the most recent piece and besides there isn't really enough activity to merit that.
If you meant something else, I'm all ears.

RJ

Hm, pretty much just link to the post you've put up announcing the new piece. :) That sound better?

e_voyager

most of my work is writen but i do have plans to set up a secondary art thread for drwan work and g - pg short stories.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

xHaZxMaTx

Good idea, RJ, I might be spending some time today doing that. :)

I've never tried one of RJ's muffins, so I don't know... :C

DigitalMan

Hey, good plan, and good timing. I'll remember that when I start putting pics up in a couple days.

Miaka

Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on October 16, 2006, 02:31:37 PM

Stomach goes "byebye, explosions for you"
Not very fun.

There's never very much discussion in my thread, but I'll try to do that from now on, when I don't forget.

Kenji

Quote from: Miaka on October 17, 2006, 10:15:15 PM
Quote from: ×HaZ×MaT× on October 16, 2006, 02:31:37 PM

Stomach goes "byebye, explosions for you"
Not very fun.

There's never very much discussion in my thread, but I'll try to do that from now on, when I don't forget.

I dunno, I like the explosions. >.>

Anyways, on topic... thanks RJ. Now it's officially a rule. ^.^ In a sense. This will greatly aid in our fight against art topics turning to waaangsty-angsty.

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Damaris

I could always lock your threads until you find the energy.

>)

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Nikki

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Damaris

Okay- it's been a while, so I'm giving everyone with multiple page threads until November 9th to get this done.  Anyone who can't find the energy will be given the chance to start fresh with a brand new art thread, mostly because their old one will be locked.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Tapewolf

I'm afraid I'm still confused about this bit:  "as well as a link to the new post you have just made so people can find where it has been discussed".
I would have thought that in most cases the new post IS the one you're indexing by.  Are there any examples of properly double-indexed art threads to learn from?

Damaris

Yes.

Silverfox got it- you can see that thread here: http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php?topic=639.0

Basically, we either want you to link to the individual post in a thread.  You can find those URLs at the top of each post- the "title" of each post is a link.  You can also post the thumbnails in the first post (like Xze-Xze did), but having the link there makes it so people can zip over and see the discussion for each new peice of art, and see what others said about it without having to read the whole 10-page thread.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Damaris on November 02, 2006, 07:59:09 AM
Silverfox got it- you can see that thread here: http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php?topic=639.0

Basically, we either want you to link to the individual post in a thread.  You can find those URLs at the top of each post- the "title" of each post is a link.  You can also post the thumbnails in the first post (like Xze-Xze did), but having the link there makes it so people can zip over and see the discussion for each new peice of art, and see what others said about it without having to read the whole 10-page thread.

In Silver's case, as with mine, each link is to a post where the new piece (or for me, chapter) is presented.  The rules do seem to be implying a need for two links for each piece (which seems redundant IMHO), and which Silver hasn't done either.  Perhaps I'm just being dense.

That's as opposed to Gareeku's Furrae Chronicles, where he's added each chapter to the first post (and posted links to the archived chapters on DA).  This was a popular technique on 'The Nice' but I hated it which is why I decided to index mine from day one.

I guess what I'm really asking is this: is the indexing system used in Chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn up to spec or do you require more?

**EDIT**
Ahh.. is this two-links business for items which are hosted on a separate page entirely (e.g. DeviantArt) rather than being included inline like writing or thumbnailed images?
If so you might want to clarify the wording in the rules as it's been bugging me ever since it was specified  :S

Tiger_T

Wouldn't it suffice if you'd gather the links to the posts where you posted art in your threads?
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

xHaZxMaTx

Meh, I knew I should have done this when I had the chance.  This is going to be a major PITA on this stupid cell internet. :<

Magic

I may have some art that are not linked anymore. Mind you, I clean out the direct link accounts every now and then. Don't be surprised if you don't find it indexed, or if it even exists anymore.

EDIT:
Also, my first post is a bit verbose. You'll find it in the bottom part, though.

EDIT(2):
Already found one art piece that doesn't exist anymore. Right then.

EDIT(3):
Done. Hope that's the format you want.

First post's art isn't indexed, it would be redundant to link to itself.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Amber Williams

This whole thing isn't meant to be the most complex set of hoops...

There will likely be some leeway if you already have a thread that is massive and full of images to begin with. It's just implied that from here on out, when you make a new post with art, to save the location and edit your first post to let people know where it's at in case it gets buried beneath 5-7 pages of text.

Basically we're trying to have to dodge what happened to Taski's thread.

Damaris

If you put your new images in the first post only, link to the point where the new discussion will start.

If you post your new images in the thread as a new post, link to that new post in the first post. (ie. Silver's thread)  Although it might be helpful to your readers to have them in chronological order.

Haz, take your time.  You have weird circumstances.

Zina

Nikki

xHaZxMaTx

RJ

xHaZxMaTx

Tapewolf

RJ

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 05, 2006, 09:32:32 AM
Quote from: RJ on November 05, 2006, 08:51:39 AM
Zina and Haz- you both pass. :3
That implies mine doesn't.  What's missing?

Whoops, your's too Tapewolf!  :) It looks fine.