I met famous people!

Started by Hilary, October 15, 2006, 09:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilary

So, today I went to a performance of the stage adaption of John Ehle's The Landbreakers. Not only did I get to meet him, but I got to talk to Rosemarry Harris as well! I know both of her neighbors well, but I've never gotten to meet her. I hope I didn't sound like a fool... :animesweat It would have been cool if I could have met Jennifer Ehle as well, but then I probably would have died.

But anyway, I'm curious as to what famous people you guys have met/seen/eaten!

bill

I've met cellist Yo-Yo-Ma, and have an autographed photo of him. Kinda cool. Also, Michael Vick rode on my school bus when I was in 4th or 5th grade (I was in the same school district as his high school). He gave me an autograph, which was kinda cool, since he wasn't famous yet.

Nikki

i shook Tim McGraw's hand and Faith Hill's....

i shook Toby Keith's hand...

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Damaris

My brother met Jared the Subway guy yesterday.  He was dealing poker a Germaine O'Neal's birthday party.  (My brother, not Jared)

I've met assorted b-list metal artists, and that's about it for me.

*edited to add*

Oh!  We briefly spoke with Kevin Sorbo at a convention recently.  He was mystified as to why he did not have a longer line.  The assistants to the Mythbusters got much more play at this con.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

xHaZxMaTx

My mom met Will from Will and Grace at the airport. :P

TheGreyRonin

Hm. My father went to high school with Martin Sheen. My brother went to high school with Brad Pitt.

Personally, though, I've only managed to meet two famous people. Robert A. Heinlein when I was a kid, and Buzz Aldrin around the same time.

Zedd

I met Mark Weeiner from Weeinerville...He sure looked like crap

Alondro

Let me see:

Mohammed Ali, who was at the dedication of the Abramson Research Center when my brother had leukemia.  I work there now.

Former New Jersey governor Jim Florio at a horse exhibition.

A number of Pearl Harbor survivors who've appeared in Pearl Harbor documentaries, including Richard Fisk.

Kathleen Turner and Meryl Streep when I was working grounds at Great Adventure.

Stan Sakai of Usagi Yojimbo comic fame, Peter Laird of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Diane Duane (writer of the "Young Wizards" series, and her husband), plus Scott Shaw! (the exclamation point is part of his name!) all at Anthrocon.

Plus, also at AC every year, my friend Dark Natasha, one of the greatest artists in furry fandom.

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Hilary

My dad met Mohammed Ali when he was in college... funnily enough, he didn't like him much.

My grandma was apparently good friends with Ronald Reagan. *shrugs*

Eee! Diane Duane!

Nikki

Quote from: Alondro on October 15, 2006, 11:42:11 PM
Plus, also at AC every year, my friend Dark Natasha, one of the greatest artists in furry fandom.

*foams at the mouth*

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Zina

This one time my dad called Shaqille O'neal short and my sister insulted his shoes.
We didn't know it was him at the time. :3

RJ

I knew Elle MacPherson's cousin when I was younger. She lived down the road from me.

She was a brat.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I could say Terry Pratchett, but given the number of conventions he does, and the number of fans he meets, it's not really all that great a problem :-)

Other than that... nobody comes to mind, but then, they're just celebs. "Who cares, really?" is pretty much my point of view...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Vidar

Terry Pratchett, several times. He signed some of my books.

Warwick Davis, at a ren-fare. He signed a friend's "Willow" dvd. He is really, really short.

\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

Anara

I think my parents were invited to meet the Emperor of Japan once but he got called away at the last moment. That was back when he was still the prince.

Otherwise, I think I met some famous rappers in Tokyo airport (or, at least the guys in our group seemed to think they were famous, I personally still have no idea who they were :rolleyes, can you tell I'm not a big rap fan?)

Xuzaf D

I've never met anyone famous, and I really don't see what the big deal would be.

xHaZxMaTx

There's a difference bewtween famous people and celebrities.  I don't care for celebrities, but I wish I could meet Chuck Yaeger.

Xuzaf D

Your splitting hairs in my case.

King Of Hearts

I met David Pomeranz once during his concert in the Philippines, met him in a roadside restaurant. Seems a nice guy, my dad embarassed us all by waving at him and saying hi like they were buddies.

I also met Pope John Paul II when I was a kid. He was still a strong man back then, later I attended his mass. I remember he did it in Latin and only a little of us knew how to respond. He jokingly said "Ah, so I see the Filipinos are well versed in latin *chuckle*:

There's also the wrestler Batista just a month ago, I was expecting him to be taller. But he is a large fellow. I saw him in a hotel on his way to a local TV station.

Hilary

The big deal is that I look up to a lot of famous people in light of their achievements, and I think it's really great that I've gotten to meet some of them in person and thank them for what they've done.

Blazehawk

*ponders* Don't think I've really met anyone famous...but Johnny Depp is my second cousin and I'm also related to Rosemary Clooney, if that counts.  :P

And no, they won't send me any money.  :<

*edit* Well, now that I think about it, there is one mildly famous person. I met and talked with Greg Ayres, an anime voice actor who has done voice work for things like Saiyuki.

Sad thing is I think he remembered my cleavage more than my face (it involves a corset and a small stuffed cat, long story).  :laugh

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Seraline on October 17, 2006, 01:24:01 AM
Sad thing is I think he remembered my cleavage more than my face (it involves a corset and a small stuffed cat, long story).  :laugh

I've got time. :-)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Aisha deCabre

Meh, I haven't really met too many famous people...once I shook hands with our state's former governer, but I don't suppose that counts. :p  Another political one, once as a kid, about eight, I wrote former president Clinton...

What a surprise I had when I got something BACK. o.o

Ah, we did go to the American Idols Live tour...we were the first in line, so instead of waiting we went around the back to where people were in an autograph line.  My cousin hugged Bucky Covington and my aunt hugged Chris Daughtry.  Plus we saw Taylor Hicks himself riding a scooter around the bus lot.

Neh... I wanted to hug Bucky...or Ace... XD
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Draksaith

My brother semi almost ran into Arnold Schwarzenegger/stopped infront of him *In a car*

And I befriended the kid who played Beans, In Even stevens *Disney channel show*

Nothing else...

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: The Warlike on October 16, 2006, 10:59:35 PM
I've never met anyone famous, and I really don't see what the big deal would be.

Agreed, as far as I'm concerned as long as they have two eyes, two ears, a nose, and they need  to poop they're mortal... What makes them different is they  have lots of money, and a handful of sexually frustrated individuals seem to think you should worship them like gods.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Draksaith on October 20, 2006, 06:48:08 PM
And I befriended the kid who played Beans, In Even stevens *Disney channel show*
Is he as annoying in real life as he is in the show? :rolleyes

Alondro

I don't make a big deal of it, I just recall meeting those I have met.  All were accidental meetings; I just happened to be in the same place as they were... except for Dark Natasha.  We're friends. :)  And Lon Smarts (Herbie Bearclaw, animator formerly for Disney), whom I sought out for animation organizational advice.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Nikki

Quote from: Seraline on October 17, 2006, 01:24:01 AM
*ponders* Don't think I've really met anyone famous...but Johnny Depp is my second cousin

*foams, gurgles, and faints*

ShadesFox

I've met every US president since Regan.
Also, apparently the children of Brooks and Dunn went to the same high school as I did.  I hope he wasn't the one I threw through the wall.
The All Purpose Fox

Jim Halisstrad

I am famous.  Does that count?  *Does a sexy pose*