[Xer Chapter 15]

Started by Starcat5, March 05, 2024, 12:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starcat5

15-01 - Safety systems usually have loopholes and Niall knows most of them.

Yeesh, what kind of cheap plastics are R-Niall made of? That punch should have broken the Hyena's fingers! :<
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Liatai

Or he's selling it in order to give Xerian an opening to escape. Xerian's very much a pacifist -- he's not much help in a struggle. Keeping bloodthirsty Chadwick's attention via acting like he has a shot against R-Niall is a decent gambit, aye?

Starcat5

15-02 - We don't need no thought-control

"Who's changed the password?!" ~Tweedel Dumber

Looks like R-Niall owes his brother a drink. The easiest way to brick something is to lose the password, and have no way to factory reset it. The second easiest way involves taking a hammer to the fragile insides, but it also takes time Cubi Niall didn't have.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Starcat5

15-03 - This is either very good, or very bad

I think someone just found out the hard way that they have been fired.  :mwaha

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Starcat5 on March 18, 2024, 11:30:04 AM15-03 - This is either very good, or very bad

I think someone just found out the hard way that they have been fired.  :mwaha

Yep, though it's a sucker bet that he'll still need it spelled out for him.

Starcat5

15-04 - The safe list only works if you're on it

Quote from: ProfesseurRenard on March 18, 2024, 02:05:24 PMYep, though it's a sucker bet that he'll still need it spelled out for him.

Good thing we only see him from behind. The front is probably soaked right now.  :mwaha

Liatai

Hee! Yes! Run, you bully, run!  :mwaha

I wonder how R. Niall got that update? Is his brain connected to the wi-fi? These are pretty extenuating circumstances, so it's probably safe to assume some magic/tri-wing shenanigans are involved in this case -- but now I'm wondering how the androids get software updates normally. X3 The worldbuilder in me is intrigued!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Liatai on March 25, 2024, 11:39:08 AMHee! Yes! Run, you bully, run!  :mwaha

I wonder how R. Niall got that update? Is his brain connected to the wi-fi? These are pretty extenuating circumstances, so it's probably safe to assume some magic/tri-wing shenanigans are involved in this case -- but now I'm wondering how the androids get software updates normally. X3 The worldbuilder in me is intrigued!

Yeah, the androids have a wireless update system.  We've seen the remotes used a few times, to disable them and also to re-enable them afterwards.
It's purely for the support systems - doesn't and cannot affect their actual minds or consciousness. 

The typical use is for things like this, adding visitors to the safe list - or removing them.  You have a building full of panthers patrolling it, you're going to want to do a bulk update rather than chasing them down and updating them manually, especially if it's an emergency situation where someone has to be removed from the safe-list ASAP so they can be detained.

Needless to say they tried to make sure this part of the system was secure, probably doing a formal methods thing like you would for military aerospace software, or (one would hope) credit card chip firmware.  Stuff that Absolutely Must Not Go Wrong.
It's never been hacked and it's not likely to be in any of the stories I have planned.

The only times it's ever gone wrong have been when the people running it were corrupted, e.g. in the original Project Future, Fendrick used it to cripple all the panthers simultaneously, and he was only able to do at all because he mind-controlled Ashley.
Like the current situation, it all the certs and authorisation were fine - but the person put in charge of it wasn't.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Liatai

Cool!!! The remotes use the same system, huh? I guess I was subconsciously influenced by the webcomic Freefall, and Florence's remote -- Florence's used an audio signal as a shortcut to trigger an emergency shutdown, but then again, she's a biological AI. Jayhawk androids' remotes are a lot more complex, so it makes sense they'd allow for finer control by connecting directly to the safeguard system. They're less like a television remote (like Florence's basically was) and more like a remote access device for that particular system.  :nod

Tapewolf

Quote from: Liatai on March 25, 2024, 01:56:19 PMCool!!! The remotes use the same system, huh? I guess I was subconsciously influenced by the webcomic Freefall, and Florence's remote -- Florence's used an audio signal as a shortcut to trigger an emergency shutdown, but then again, she's a biological AI. Jayhawk androids' remotes are a lot more complex, so it makes sense they'd allow for finer control by connecting directly to the safeguard system.

I can't say I sat down and designed the whole thing in a single sitting, but making sure it's more humane than the system in Freefall has been a major consideration.

Starcat5

Xerian II - Electric Boogaloo

Unsure if April "Bully Appreciation" Day inspired preview of the sequel, or an accidental upload.  :mowdizzy

Tapewolf

Quote from: Starcat5 on March 31, 2024, 10:50:23 PMXerian II - Electric Boogaloo

Unsure if April "Bully Appreciation" Day inspired preview of the sequel, or an accidental upload.  :mowdizzy

I only wish we had a buffer that long...

Starcat5

He's doing the mad scientist equivalent to sticking a fork into a power outlet, isn't he? Actually, depending on which part that is and how far you are willing to stretch the definition, that might be exactly what he is doing.

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Starcat5 on April 07, 2024, 10:10:10 PMHe's doing the mad scientist equivalent to sticking a fork into a power outlet, isn't he? Actually, depending on which part that is and how far you are willing to stretch the definition, that might be exactly what he is doing.

Good of Xerian to at least try to warn him off, but honestly, I have no sympathy for this guy's impending fate.

Starcat5

15-07 - You will not be going to space today

Maybe not, but a good chunk of that building gave it the old college try. One normally doesn't see explosions that big outside of war movies and Mythbusters reruns.  :U

Raskahn

Quote from: Starcat5 on April 14, 2024, 11:35:08 PM15-07 - You will not be going to space today

Maybe not, but a good chunk of that building gave it the old college try. One normally doesn't see explosions that big outside of war movies and Mythbusters reruns.  :U

Hopefully Xer has found a plexiglass screen around the corner.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Starcat5 on April 14, 2024, 11:35:08 PM15-07 - You will not be going to space today

In the written version it was actually inspired by the Ronan Point disaster:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronan_Point

In that, the structure was basically held together by gravity, with the walls pinned into place by the floor above.  A gas explosion lifted the upper floor sufficiently that the walls came unpegged and were no longer in position to hold the ceiling when it came back down.

This was a difficult concept to illustrate - originally I was thinking of using blueprints of the building - but Merlin has managed to put the devastation across impressively well.

Raskahn

It also looks like the building imploded so if that was intentional its hats off but regardless, the details are nicely done, down to the lights being out in the rest of the building.

Liatai

You know it's a big explosion when there's no onomatopoeia. You just know it's one of those impacts you feel more than hear.  'A'

Kudos for portraying it so well!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Liatai on April 15, 2024, 07:56:40 PMYou know it's a big explosion when there's no onomatopoeia. You just know it's one of those impacts you feel more than hear.  'A'

Yeah, I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to caption it, and in the end decided that just leaving it blank said more than anything I could add.

Raskahn

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 16, 2024, 12:22:37 PM
Quote from: Liatai on April 15, 2024, 07:56:40 PMYou know it's a big explosion when there's no onomatopoeia. You just know it's one of those impacts you feel more than hear.  'A'

Yeah, I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to caption it, and in the end decided that just leaving it blank said more than anything I could add.

This also works on your body, you know something hurts a LOT when the one being injured doesn't yell.