[Xer Chapter 15]

Started by Starcat5, March 05, 2024, 12:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liatai

You know, now I'm curious with a worldbuilding question. X3

What's standard procedure with regards to anesthesia when it comes to androids and synths when it comes to medical and maintenance procedures? I'm guessing, of course, that it varies depending on the individual -- some might be keen to see their own inner workings, while others might be traumatized by the sight of their own "guts" being manipulated.

At least anesthesia is a little easier when you can just switch off the patient's pain receptors for a while -- and there's typically a lot less cutting when it comes to android/synth surgery! There might be some unpleasant sensations as synthetic nerves are connected and disconnected, though. That may be the focus of synth/android anesthesia.

Is there a "conscious sedation" mode that medics can have access to? Where the patient is technically conscious, but retains no memory of the procedure? I'd imagine it's closely guarded within medical circles if so, since a bad actor could REALLY get up to some awful stuff with that kind of access.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Liatai on June 04, 2024, 08:28:11 PMYou know, now I'm curious with a worldbuilding question. X3

What's standard procedure with regards to anesthesia when it comes to androids and synths when it comes to medical and maintenance procedures? I'm guessing, of course, that it varies depending on the individual -- some might be keen to see their own inner workings, while others might be traumatized by the sight of their own "guts" being manipulated.

That's not something I've really gone into, to be honest.  For major work, they probably put the brain into standby, and they did do that a few times with Xerian in the start of chapter 2.

However, in his case, since there were a lot of unknowns about how his body actually worked electronically, they did have to do a fair bit with him semi-conscious so they could thought-read him and figure out what was what.

For minor work they'd probably just deactivate the pain receptors or something.  Anaesthetic functions would be in the remote control units, both closely guarded and password-protected.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E