Unexpected Forum Maintenance (Bug Fix Thread)

Started by Darkmoon, May 19, 2023, 09:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmoon

So the server was upgraded last night, new PHP install. Unfortunately, that killed the forum due to how old it was. Stable, but old. So we had to run a full update to get CMF up to the current version of SMF. It works, and we're back up and running... but all the old skins are dead. I'll have to spend some time remaking them. But at least the forum is up and running once again...
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

techmaster-glitch

Whoa dang. Yeah, the outage was unexpected...the difference in appearance even MORE so. But glad to have everything working again! :)

...wait, I think all our custom emoticons and images are gone? Oh nooooo, I still use a bunch of those! D: Hopefully this is also only temporary and they too can be restored? x3

EDIT: All the comic links on the homepage are broken, just to report in case it wasn't noticed already. Hm, should there be a thread somewhere for people to report any bugs or issues they find on the forum after this migration?

Darkmoon

We'll get to a tech issue thread eventually. For now I have to go through and see what stuff I can fix, like skins and emotes, before we fine grain anything else. And that'll be a couple of days.

Merlin

Oh yeah, understandable, I broke quite a few things on two of my sites with the latest php upgrade too. Best of luck with everything!

Darkmoon

As an update, I'm having to work with my server guy. The forum is throwing a bunch of errors and I think it's related to other server settings we need to tweak. Emoticaons, for example, should work but the forum can't read/write to them for some reason and fails.

For now I have this stop-gap skin in place (at least until I figure out how to customize it better) and at least things are working enough for people to make posts. I don't currently have a timeline on when things will be properly fixed, but I am hoping by the end of the weekend.

Darkmoon

And that was far less painful than I expected. Server guy was on it, we got the folder issues (and PHP issues) sorted and the forum is up and running once more. We'll now use this thread for Bug Fixes, if any are needed, so if you catch anything post it here.

Tapewolf

Just as a heads-up it looks like it may not be sending emails for private messages anymore.  I missed a few while I was away over the weekend, made worse by the fact I thought I was logged in on my phone but wasn't because I was still mentally expecting the dark theme when logged out :3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

techmaster-glitch

So, it looks like some basic smilies have returned, but...where's the rest? Where is our whole list of custom smilies and auto-images that we used to have? Is there any idea when that will be able to be fully restored?

EDIT: Also, I can't seem to log out of this new website/interface, I am stuck logged in...can one of the admins log me out properly? I'll make sure to never leave the login timer on "forever" in the future...

Merlin

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on June 17, 2023, 11:56:48 AMSo, it looks like some basic smilies have returned, but...where's the rest? Where is our whole list of custom smilies and auto-images that we used to have? Is there any idea when that will be able to be fully restored?

EDIT: Also, I can't seem to log out of this new website/interface, I am stuck logged in...can one of the admins log me out properly? I'll make sure to never leave the login timer on "forever" in the future...

ya gotta go all in, forever means FOREVER!!!

but if you really must, click on your avatar at the top right of the page and it'll bring up a little menu, one of the options is log out

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Merlin on June 18, 2023, 01:56:21 AMbut if you really must, click on your avatar at the top right of the page and it'll bring up a little menu, one of the options is log out

Yeah...that's the problem. That doesn't work. Clicking my avatar doesn't bring up any menu at all, it just takes me straight to my profile page. Browser compatibility issues. (The browser I normally use, I couldn't even log in anymore at all in the first place. What I'm using right now to make this post, that I am now stuck logged in with, is my "backup browser" already. Immediately after the forum upgrade three weeks ago, I could still use my normal browser, but there have been even more changes done over the past two weeks, and one of them ended up putting me in this situation it seems.)

Merlin

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on June 18, 2023, 04:42:29 AM
Quote from: Merlin on June 18, 2023, 01:56:21 AMbut if you really must, click on your avatar at the top right of the page and it'll bring up a little menu, one of the options is log out

Yeah...that's the problem. That doesn't work. Clicking my avatar doesn't bring up any menu at all, it just takes me straight to my profile page. Browser compatibility issues. (The browser I normally use, I couldn't even log in anymore at all in the first place. What I'm using right now to make this post, that I am now stuck logged in with, is my "backup browser" already. Immediately after the forum upgrade three weeks ago, I could still use my normal browser, but there have been even more changes done over the past two weeks, and one of them ended up putting me in this situation it seems.)

ahhh I see. weird!

techmaster-glitch

What in the....oh, well, that's fixed itself, I guess.

Glanced back over at my usual browser (where, to this day, I still have CMF set as one of my several homepages, as this was the first online community I was ever a part of), and saw that I was also logged in there, different from the browser that I sent my last couple posts from. And in this browser, the drop-down menu does work, so I was able to log out from that end (and I went and checked my backup browser and saw that I was indeed no longer logged in there either)...and then, just now, managed to log back in using this same browser, when I was unable to login using it last week.

So, glad for that! It's all worked out now!

...Just weird cuz I've never seen ANY website stay logged in across different browsers before O.o

Darkmoon

Al the smiles are there, best I can see. You have to click "More" to get them all to display, but they are all there and working. I made sure of that when we first got the upgrade in place.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Darkmoon on June 21, 2023, 02:44:54 PMAl the smiles are there, best I can see. You have to click "More" to get them all to display, but they are all there and working. I made sure of that when we first got the upgrade in place.

....uuuuhhhh....what "More" button...?

(pics from my two different browsers)

Darkmoon

That button. Checked it in both Chrome and Firefox. What browser are you using?