2023-02-01 [DMFA #2102] - How to kill a Demon in two easy steps

Started by Tapewolf, February 01, 2023, 04:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

This is a useful expose from Dark Pegasus.  The demonology entry was a little vague, but my interpretation was that if you were able to catch a Demon unawares, you could probably deal a fatal blow with a crossbow or sword before they had a chance to harden their skin.  It is nice to see that theory confirmed.

And yes, Regina may have a point regarding the whole "going home" business.

EDIT: I have just noticed that Regina's outburst, addressing him as "Uncle Aliph" will give the adventurers the clue they need to figure out who she is, assuming the attacker isn't killed in a duel with DP or something.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Hariman

The element of surprise is lost, so the adventurer is unlikely to try again so soon.

Also... wow.  My initial thought was that this was a hasty limited plan assassination attempt.

Now I know it was a hasty yet quality assassination attempt, given that it was a second or so off from actually maiming or killing Aliph/Dark Pegasus.

I'm not sure if Aliph is going to deliberately go back to the town to do some shopping soon to keep up appearances, or if he's going to stay away for a bit so heads cool off instead.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Hariman on February 01, 2023, 07:39:54 AM
I'm not sure if Aliph is going to deliberately go back to the town to do some shopping soon to keep up appearances, or if he's going to stay away for a bit so heads cool off instead.

DP doesn't really buy into the whole Demonic appearances thing, but he might drop the adventurer back at the guildhall, e.g.  "I believe this is yours."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 01, 2023, 04:24:35 AM
EDIT: I have just noticed that Regina's outburst, addressing him as "Uncle Aliph" will give the adventurers the clue they need to figure out who she is, assuming the attacker isn't killed in a duel with DP or something.

Honestly, I don't think DP expects it to remain secret; it's not like his family tree isn't public knowledge, after all. I reckon he was just winding Bella[1] up because he wanted to, and had an opportunity to annoy her. Or at least to make her life difficult.

I'm inclined to agree with Mom Shopkeeper, there. ;-]

[1] I note: James Dahna got thrown across the lake. That makes the current lead of the adventurer group, Bella, a toxic wee planty type, that hangs around at night. A, uh, deadly night shade, if you will. Ambaargh, I see what you did there. :-P
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Glenn Griffon

And here we see that classic demon attitude in regards to tough or strong opponents. "Wow, you really almost destroyed me forever. Cool."
I suspect if nothing else this attempt on his life, the speed, thought and effort that went into it has actually caused DP to respect Bella's party a tiny bit.

Nightmask

This kind of thing is a common thing in the martial arts and cultivation Chinese light novels.  The importance of causing a momentary pause in an enemy's actions so that they can't mount a proper defense against the kill strike.  Some main characters practically specialize in using seemingly harmless pause attacks to set up their enemies for the kill strike of their real attack.

Akisohida

Smart. By using stunning spells like that; Any that miss DP and hit the bystanders would have done no damage to them.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Akisohida on February 04, 2023, 08:47:45 AM
Smart. By using stunning spells like that; Any that miss DP and hit the bystanders would have done no damage to them.

Eh. You gotta bear in mind, passers-by might be, oh, I dunno, just walking onto a flight of steps? off balance and might roll into the lake and drown? It's not as cut as dried as "they'll be fine"; and that's assuming that the paralysis spells are not going to stop a weak heart or something; certainly I wouldn't want to point a taser at anyone with a pacemaker, I'm sure there are similar complications involved here...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears