2022-11-11 [DMFA #2094] - Better than an Abel or Dan dream at least?

Started by WhyNot?, November 11, 2022, 05:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhyNot?

At over 2000 strips I think that may be the longest callback joke in DMFA history. Funnily enough I remember that joke became a product of discussion about the time I started reading in '09 since Jy had only fairly recently declared himself to be gay and people weren't sure about that.

Regardless, like the title says, it could be worse for poor Jy. Having to deal with a romanticized fantasy version of either of them showing up is something that would never be forgotten.

MT Hazard

Yeah, I maintain that he is more probably Bi than gay.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

ProfesseurRenard

Heh, he could certainly do a lot worse than Linda Crafts. I'm halfway tempted to do my own version of the DMFA Radio Project with these two pages, but I hesitate slightly at subjecting anyone to my recorded voice impression of Keeley Hawes. I hesitate at subjecting anyone to my recorded voice, period.

Radagast

Quote from: MT Hazard on November 11, 2022, 08:00:01 AM

For a given value of Bi.  Possibly/Probably, in that he seems reasonably equal opportunity in who he considers possible romantic partners.  Possibly not in that his own stated uncertainty about his orientation means it's difficult to get a read on whether the driving factor in his relationships (and attempted relationships) are his attractions or his desire to affirm a given orientation label. 

When he first concluded he was gay, he himself questioned whether or not he had actually been attracted to Lorenda or had just been trying to convince himself that he was.  That came up again when he asked Abel about how he was asexual and confided that he was second-guessing his conclusion that he was gay. 

My own pet hypothesis on the matter is that he might actually be somewhere in the Asexual "gray zone", much like Abel (albeit at a different point on that spectrum), and part of what makes his orientation so confusing to him is that his attractions are neither strong enough, frequent enough, nor consistent enough for him to understand what it is that 'clicks' for him...which is then compounded by his analytical mind making him second guess whether those attractions were even legitimate or appreciably different from platonic affection. 
Hand me my snorkel!  I'm diving back into the archives!

MT Hazard

Quote from: Radagast on November 11, 2022, 04:25:42 PM

My own pet hypothesis on the matter is that he might actually be somewhere in the Asexual "gray zone", much like Abel (albeit at a different point on that spectrum), and part of what makes his orientation so confusing to him is that his attractions are neither strong enough, frequent enough, nor consistent enough for him to understand what it is that 'clicks' for him...which is then compounded by his analytical mind making him second guess whether those attractions were even legitimate or appreciably different from platonic affection. 

As someone who has some experience of that, I'll tell you, it's a huge pain in the neck. I do like that theory though.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Nightmask

Quote from: Radagast on November 11, 2022, 04:25:42 PM

For a given value of Bi.  Possibly/Probably, in that he seems reasonably equal opportunity in who he considers possible romantic partners.  Possibly not in that his own stated uncertainty about his orientation means it's difficult to get a read on whether the driving factor in his relationships (and attempted relationships) are his attractions or his desire to affirm a given orientation label. 

When he first concluded he was gay, he himself questioned whether or not he had actually been attracted to Lorenda or had just been trying to convince himself that he was.  That came up again when he asked Abel about how he was asexual and confided that he was second-guessing his conclusion that he was gay. 

Consider that Jyrris has been shown when younger trying to ask girls out only to be rejected because they think he's a child due to his size.  It's not unrealistic to think that the rejection caused him to want to suppress being interested in girls because he didn't want to be rejected yet again.  Having dealt with being rejected myself growing up I put in quite a bit of effort to suppress those feelings myself because the hurt of being rejected so much got too great to bear.  When he finally got his relationship going with Lorenda he ended up being rejected in the end once again, so he's still not really being honest with himself consciously but some things slipped out in the unconscious dreamscape.

Glenn Griffon

He could be Bi with a male preference or he could have an equal attraction to both genders and just suppresses his attraction towards females and then of course there's the question of does he like the biological sex or is more of an attraction to femininity than to females? Abel is kinda androgynous but definitely leans more on the feminine side in his appearance.

Jy is still pretty young and no one should be forced to state in hard and bolded letters what their sexuality is, especially when it very well could be quite fluid and subject to change in the future. He may find himself being attracted to a masculine female or a feminine male or someone who defies all notions of these concepts.
Abel being a shapeshifter could probably help in this somewhat as long as it's not about assuming different identities and stuff.
I wholly encourage Jyrras to continue exploring his sexuality.

So... when do we get the side story of Abel surprising Jyrras as Linda Crafts on his birthday? :p

Lying Foo

Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.