2022-10-26 [DMFA #2092] - Hierarchy of needs

Started by Tapewolf, October 26, 2022, 07:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

An interesting and thoughtful monologue, interrupted by someone who I think is the rabbit from the adventuring group protecting the town (see p.2058).
I guess they're going to be paying a quick visit to the lake.

EDIT: Also the term 'mixed Beings' is interesting - presumably that means e.g. a wolf Being is only supposed to marry another wolf Being, that this was one of the forces preventing Beingkind from coalescing into some kind of homegenous feline-canine-ungulate hybrid thing.  And that the founders of this settlement were breaking that taboo - possibly forming their own village because it was forbidden elsewhere.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Glenn Griffon

I gotta admit, that was an awesome presentation by DP and especially by Amber. I think it was worth it. 👏👏👏
Aliph is quite the philosopher, i think he'd quite enjoy reading Dante, Machiavelli, Nietzsche, and Dostoyevsky.

Drako

Whoever that is really pissed off DP.  I can tell from the eyesmoke.  (: 

Also, typo/bad wording in 2nd panel: "You can do everything according correct and still have things go wrong"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drako on October 26, 2022, 10:23:57 AM
Whoever that is really pissed off DP.  I can tell from the eyesmoke.  (: 

It's possible that's a side-effect of him running the shield, since magic in DMFA tends to make your eyes glow the same colour as the spell.
Even so, it was pretty rude of them.  Even if there is some kind of ordinance against putting on a magical fireworks display, a fine is more appropriate.

Akisohida

Huh, Aliph can stay aware while monologuing.
Good for him.

Also; I doubt it's one of the town guardians; A few of those bolts missed DP and would have hit two innocent townsfolk if Aliph had not popped up a shield.
Anyone protecting the town would probably be quite careful of that kind of collateral damage.
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Akisohida on October 26, 2022, 11:04:40 AM
Also; I doubt it's one of the town guardians; A few of those bolts missed DP and would have hit two innocent townsfolk if Aliph had not popped up a shield.
Anyone protecting the town would probably be quite careful of that kind of collateral damage.

Perhaps, but it's worth looking at pages 2057 and 2058 - same fur colour, same robe colour and the same long tail, though we can't see the end of it in 2058.  And notably in page 2057 that individual was the dissenting voice arguing that they shouldn't be allowed to run around unchecked.  So my guess would be that they've taken matters into their own hands.

And we don't actually know what the green spell was - if it's some kind of stun magic they may consider accidentally putting some villagers asleep to be a price worth paying.

EDIT: It is of course, also possible that the guardians have clocked who DP's guest is and are trying to "save the villagers from her evil" in an ill thought-out way - that said, it feels much more like something the rookie would do alone, since Bella has been civil so far and would probably just ask them politely to leave rather than pour fuel on the fire.

FairWage22

Quote from: Akisohida on October 26, 2022, 11:04:40 AM
Huh, Aliph can stay aware while monologuing.
Good for him.

He's done this *before*, as well, if memory serves.   

I seem to recall someone tried to ambush him (want to say it was in a back-scene with Dan) and he didn't flinch.

I think Aliph has more situational awareness than Kria (who tends to fly by the seat of disintegrating pants when things go awry).
For decades I viewed myself as a 'wageslave', captive to whims of others and not realizing that by Naming myself that I *defined* myself.

Now many years older and wiser, I am trying to be the change  I want to see.

Liatai

Holy CROW, this update is gorgeous!!! Well worth the wait!

Quote from: FairWage22 on October 26, 2022, 11:46:50 AM
I seem to recall someone tried to ambush him (want to say it was in a back-scene with Dan) and he didn't flinch.

You may be thinking of comic 927 -- http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_927.php

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Drako on October 26, 2022, 10:23:57 AM
Also, typo/bad wording in 2nd panel: "You can do everything according correct and still have things go wrong"

Another small one shortly before Mr Gooseberry makes his move: "Life is simply the journey one makes to discover where in the world on belongs."

Prroul

it does seem like the bunny in the cowl from the adventuring party, but why would she be so... so stupid as to pull this stunt? I mean, she doesn't have her team's backup, and an adventurer without a team is a walking casualty. Moreso, she darn well knows it, and knows that Aliph's power level far exceeds her own. She's got zero chance of coming out ahead in this fight. So... why? Why aggro on him when all he has been doing is pontificating on the Meaning of Life?

Hmm. We do know that Destania has a lot of contacts in the Adventurer's Guild. Maybe she planted something that cause the bun to go off? Something to the tune of 'he was the one responsible for killing a loved one' or similar trigger button, perhaps? Or maybe she's being more directly controlled? Or maybe she just got fed up with Aliph's casual dismissal of people as being compared to plants and completely missing the point of the discourse? Maybe a shapeshifted impersonator designed and intended to cause strife between Aliph and the town?

As Aliph would say: Insufficient data to form meaningful conclusion. Stay tuned next week!

Raskahn

Dang, that was an awesome page. It made me de-lurk O.o

Sid

Ohhhhhhhhhh, absolutely STUNNING art, especially in the swirly/ethereal presentation and the sudden transition to action!
:boogie

joshofspam

This is so cool (Like the fanart Tailsteak made of DP.)

It's interesting to see so far into the inner workings of Dark Pegasus's mind. I wonder if many Beings and Creatures think this deep about things?

On another note; It incredable how DP handling this kind of situation. He tanks the bolts going to hit him and uses the shield to protect those on the bench. Never really thought of DP being of the Paladin class. Really cool looking.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Jenka

Wonderfully done and VERY much worth it.  I've gone back over it several times just to follow the swirls and try to find all the characters hidden inside.

techmaster-glitch

Sweet diggity DAYUM :eek that is indeed an INCREDIBLY impressively detailed page, got me to delurk too just to say I am speechless!  :mowhappy I need time to process this one, hopefully I can come back and add more substantial thoughts but DANG this was amazing!  :mowmeep

Jenka

There is something WRONG about that bunny.  Green clothes, and similar hair ... but the muzzle and that Grin.... Something ain't right there.   Alf could be implying that the rabbit in his hands is what does not belong.

Hariman

That's a beautiful speech to go with a beautiful page.

It's probably also going to be a beautiful throw to launch the erstwhile attacker across the lake.

And it's probably going to be a beautiful argument once Bella Dahna arrives to find out what just happened.

Quote from: joshofspam on October 26, 2022, 04:47:07 PM
This is so cool (Like the fanart Tailsteak made of DP.)

It's interesting to see so far into the inner workings of Dark Pegasus's mind. I wonder if many Beings and Creatures think this deep about things?

On another note; It incredable how DP handling this kind of situation. He tanks the bolts going to hit him and uses the shield to protect those on the bench. Never really thought of DP being of the Paladin class. Really cool looking.

>.>  Fallen/Dark Paladin, or a Black Knight.

Quote from: Jenka on October 26, 2022, 11:04:47 PM
There is something WRONG about that bunny.  Green clothes, and similar hair ... but the muzzle and that Grin.... Something ain't right there.   Alf could be implying that the rabbit in his hands is what does not belong.

That's a mousey tail though, so she's probably mixed between a couple species too.

I suspect Aliph is referring generally to both himself and the bunny mouse.

Quote from: Prroul on October 26, 2022, 01:57:53 PM
it does seem like the bunny in the cowl from the adventuring party, but why would she be so... so stupid as to pull this stunt? I mean, she doesn't have her team's backup, and an adventurer without a team is a walking casualty. Moreso, she darn well knows it, and knows that Aliph's power level far exceeds her own. She's got zero chance of coming out ahead in this fight. So... why? Why aggro on him when all he has been doing is pontificating on the Meaning of Life?

Hmm. We do know that Destania has a lot of contacts in the Adventurer's Guild. Maybe she planted something that cause the bun to go off? Something to the tune of 'he was the one responsible for killing a loved one' or similar trigger button, perhaps? Or maybe she's being more directly controlled? Or maybe she just got fed up with Aliph's casual dismissal of people as being compared to plants and completely missing the point of the discourse? Maybe a shapeshifted impersonator designed and intended to cause strife between Aliph and the town?

As Aliph would say: Insufficient data to form meaningful conclusion. Stay tuned next week!

Fear (and possibly hatred) aren't known for their planning skills.

I think this was a rash decision that is going to result in more headaches and trouble for Bella Dahna (the bat in charge of the town) than anything else.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Liatai

Quote from: Jenka on October 26, 2022, 11:04:47 PM

If it helps, I don't think it's a grin. I think it's a snarl, and Aliph is just pushing the bunny's lips up by proxy with his grip on her lower face. But I did read it as a deranged grin too, at first.

Arcblade

Okay, I generally don't post here, but seriously, this page is awesome and totally worth the wait. Man that's gorgeous.  Love Aliph's lesson. Love the magic effects. The breaking up of traditional comic panels. The unique flare for symmetry of dialogue, story, and art Amber has. So, so good. <3

Rest up Amber, you did great and I'm excited to see what happens next.

Hariman

Also... there's a trail of magic from the older lady's hand when the bolts are hitting Aliph's shield.

I don't think Aliph was the only one who was defending everyone, and the lady stopped casting when she realized that Aliph already had a shield going up.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

Arcblade

De-lurking again to point out that it's... telling, that Aliph, generally a loner, would choose to define the meaning of life by where you belong and don't. Resonates with me.

Also, I wonder if the attacker saw Aliph's magical demonstration effects and thought he was doing mind magic on the others. Or at least the beings.

Thirty Second Artbomb

This update blew me away so hard I had to dust off my forum account to say so. "Awestruck" feels like a good start to how it made me feel.

Tuyu

Quote from: Hariman on October 27, 2022, 03:31:41 PM
Also... there's a trail of magic from the older lady's hand when the bolts are hitting Aliph's shield.

I don't think Aliph was the only one who was defending everyone, and the lady stopped casting when she realized that Aliph already had a shield going up.
My take on that is that the lady was too slow. Her shield was just barely starting to form.

Looks to me like that's the third member of the adventurer trio, one of the ones Bella Dahna called a rookie.  Guess somebunny lost her job today.

joshofspam

Quote from: Tuyu on October 30, 2022, 02:36:58 AM

My take on that is that the lady was too slow. Her shield was just barely starting to form.

Looks to me like that's the third member of the adventurer trio, one of the ones Bella Dahna called a rookie.  Guess somebunny lost her job today.

It actually looks to me that the lines forming in front of the hands might be showing the jerking motion of the hands as the elder person tries to react in time to the whole situation. Not really magic, but more of a showing of a reflexs being shown to an incoming attack.

Looking at the adventurer, I wonder if this is their kid or grandchild?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Hariman

Quote from: joshofspam on November 01, 2022, 01:54:36 PM
Quote from: Tuyu on October 30, 2022, 02:36:58 AM

Good points on both fronts.

It's probably more complicated that an instant job loss... but will likely result in that anyway, especially given Bella's standards of keeping the town safe/happy.

QuoteIt actually looks to me that the lines forming in front of the hands might be showing the jerking motion of the hands as the elder person tries to react in time to the whole situation. Not really magic, but more of a showing of a reflexs being shown to an incoming attack.

Also a possibility, that it's reflex lines instead of a separate magic shield.

You know... the bunny mouse being a relative of the squirrel/cat/not sure is a possibility.

Then again, my guess is that the old ex-adventurer is going to drag the erstwhile bunny mouse off by the ear to give her a good talking to, at least if Bella doesn't do that first.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Hariman on November 02, 2022, 03:40:22 PM
You know... the bunny mouse being a relative of the squirrel/cat/not sure is a possibility.

Then again, my guess is that the old ex-adventurer is going to drag the erstwhile bunny mouse off by the ear to give her a good talking to, at least if Bella doesn't do that first.

Given the nature of the treaty between the town and DP, and prior references, I suspect the bunny-mouse is going to be thrown across the lake (unless someone else intervenes first).  Hopefully Regina brought a phone so she can stick the video of it on social media.

ProfesseurRenard

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 07, 2022, 07:31:28 AM
Quote from: Hariman on November 02, 2022, 03:40:22 PM

Given the nature of the treaty between the town and DP, and prior references, I suspect the bunny-mouse is going to be thrown across the lake (unless someone else intervenes first).  Hopefully Regina brought a phone so she can stick the video of it on social media.

Heh, yeah, that would be a sight to see. Also reminds me of the time I called Bella 'Vertina Chauv'suri' or some such because her actual name hadn't been revealed yet.

Lying Foo

EDIT: Wrong thread.  See you in the Mine.  (I am sorry, but honestly, I feel like everyone's made this mistake.)
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Tuyu

Quote from: joshofspam on November 01, 2022, 01:54:36 PM
Given that they're beings, I don't buy it.  The adventurer looks like a standard lapine, maybe a bit short. The older lady has poodle-tufted lop ears and antlers, plus some other minor differences.  I wouldn't expect those traits to disappear in a generation or two. Comparing the adventurer to the older man has about as many differences.