2022-07-13 [DMFA #2083] - The Machinations of Quoar

Started by Tapewolf, July 13, 2022, 06:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

This is interesting on several levels if he's trying to manipulate both Abel and Dan.  Is it because one may be able to influence the other, or perhaps the common thread is Destania?
Too bad Abel couldn't make it to the party because that could have been a seriously interesting conversation.

I am kind of curious about the warp-aci apparently delivering the message, though - Fa'Lina doesn't need them to spy on Dan since she can detect things that are and will be happening within the academy.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Cassi-kun

I can't help but wonder now if the dragon that took Edward was one of Hizell's five children that the Cubi race "ruined." We know far less about Quoar than we do of Fa'Lina, so it's possible that he didn't kill "his" dragon either, and rather than raise it properly, trained it up to serve him.

Alternately the dragon was a defector, or Quoar himself in disguise.

Mystery!
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Dishonored

I love how Mink is fine with clowns getting destroyed, as long as he can buy more.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Farry

The "blue dragon... etc" bit was actually said in front of Fa'Lina.

Quoar has blue, black, and grey colouring in Mink's clan leader report, so I think that the assumption is meant to be that the dragon is Quoar.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Farry on July 14, 2022, 06:42:45 AM
Quoar has blue, black, and grey colouring in Mink's clan leader report, so I think that the assumption is meant to be that the dragon is Quoar.

Heh, I had actually considered that idea but it seemed a little too crazy.
If Dan's father is actually under the protection of a powerful and mysterious 'Cubi clan, it means Biggs and Destania have got the wrong end of the stick completely.

But it would also open up another common thread - Aniz.  Abel was born with the Quoar traits so on reflection he has a natural interest in Abel.  Edward is believed to be a failed attempt by Abel's father so maybe Quoar has taken him in for reasons relating to that. 

Carmeops

that was my assumption too, freaking shapeshifters, and clan leaders are freaking huge, so a clan leader can probably shapeshift into a dragon no problem

coupled with the fact that Aniz was overjoyed that Abel ended up looking exactly like a Quoar clan member for some reason, and now "dan's dad" who went probably with Quoar...

i still think that Dan's dad is Aniz in disguise and not just some "failed cubi" descendant

HaDDea

Ah, so Quoar is involved. And we know so little about him and his clan, too - for all we know, he too could have a clan more the size of Zezzuva's current one, or be in a state like Fa'Lina herself. He's old, and his descendants (if he has any) do not make use of the academy - I wonder why he chose not to, and what plans he has in place for his clans' protection, should they exist? We know that the Dragons did get to him during the Dragon-Cubi war, as they killed his wife, and he had to slay one himself (who turned out to be Hizell's Wife - yikes).

I wonder why he took Edward away? Was he trying to keep Destania from going even more spare?? Quoar might be old enough and strong enough to keep dragons mostly at bay, but why get involved with Dee? I  mean, it could be "because Love" (Piflak certainly seems to derive most of her entertainment from relationships, and she is fairly old herself). But I wonder if it has less to do with Destania and more to do with foiling Hizell specifically. Quoar seems especially cagey of him (and it doesn't seem to be just because of the wife killing thing). Hizell seems to be the biggest proponent about anti-cubi sentiment. I wonder if taking out Hizell specifically would help to stanch much of the anti-cubi sentiment out there (though I am not sure how the dragons would react to yet another one of their higher-ups being destroyed; this is assuming that Hizell is one of the higher-ups).

I also wonder: how many of the higher-up dragons do the soul-harvest thing that M'Check was inadvertently caught doing? Certainly it seems that Hizell himself engages in it (owing to the death cult of those Mythos that serve him that Kria mentions). Are all involved? Do some object (certainly the descriptions from Zezzuva and looking at Aliph as a study seem to indicate that soul magic has... decidedly negative effects on a Creature/Being, especially over long periods of time)?

Personally, I've had the idea in my mind for some time of Quoar having the protection and friendship of a dragon who actively opposes the use of soul magic, having studied the effects of it themselves and rejected it as a useful source of extending one's life, instead turning to sources with fewer harmful effects, such as the crystals and natural magic seepage from the earth (like at Blue Volcano). but that's just my head cannon - i'm curious as to what Ambarrrgh has in mind!

I've also always kinda liked the idea of Quoar having founded a clan of bards and wandering entertainers - which could double as making it difficult to track the down to a single source and gives them the access to hear the gossip and gather information from the towns and cities where they circuit.

The One Guy

Hmm, I wonder if the reason Quoar is "in some ways one of the most powerful remaining cubi leaders" is because he leads a clan of dragon-cubi.

Quote from: Carmeops on July 14, 2022, 10:31:13 AM
i still think that Dan's dad is Aniz in disguise and not just some "failed cubi" descendant
Clan leaders can't produce children, though. Edit: My bad, I accidentally read that "Quoar in disguise" rather than "Aniz in disguise."

Glenn Griffon

Quote from: The One Guy on July 14, 2022, 01:09:43 PM

Clan leaders can't produce children, though.
Aniz isn't a clan leader. He isn't a tri-wing. He's a just a dude. A crazy dude but a dude nonetheless.

WhyNot?

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 13, 2022, 06:49:34 PM
I am kind of curious about the warp-aci apparently delivering the message, though - Fa'Lina doesn't need them to spy on Dan since she can detect things that are and will be happening within the academy.

I am curious what's going on with the Warp-Aci too, since what she's doing in the scene is ruminating on information she personally heard and it doesn't seem like she had it do anything to strengthen/confirm her suspicion of Quoar.

It could just be we aren't seeing that part of course, but it seems odd to think of what kick-started the suspicion instead of the new information in that case.

joshofspam

It's interesting that Fa'lina can come up with such a conection with so little imformation. Seeing as Quoar doesn't visit the Academy and Aary had no real epiphany like Fa'lina had from the discription of the dragon, it makes it sound like Fa'lina might know a few things about Quoar that the average cubi might not know about him.

Also, the sadness that seems to come off Fa'lina in the bottom part of the comic, it might suggest that the story between Fa'lina and Quoar might be a story of loss of some kind.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

MT Hazard

Looks like Arry, really considers Dan a friend now, not too long ago she wouldn't have cared that this hurt him.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

The One Guy

Quote from: Glenn Griffon on July 14, 2022, 02:04:48 PM
Quote from: The One Guy on July 14, 2022, 01:09:43 PM

Clan leaders can't produce children, though.
Aniz isn't a clan leader. He isn't a tri-wing. He's a just a dude. A crazy dude but a dude nonetheless.
Ah, oops, I misread Carmeops's post as saying Quoar in disguise.

Nightmask

that was my assumption too, freaking shapeshifters, and clan leaders are freaking huge, so a clan leader can probably shapeshift into a dragon no problem

coupled with the fact that Aniz was overjoyed that Abel ended up looking exactly like a Quoar clan member for some reason, and now "dan's dad" who went probably with Quoar...

Doesn't seem likely Quoar would actually show up in his tri-wing form shifted or otherwise.  That would make him way too vulnerable to being killed by someone and he can't have survived as long as he has without learning to not make mistakes like that.

Carmeops

Quote from: Nightmask on July 14, 2022, 06:33:35 PM
Doesn't seem likely Quoar would actually show up in his tri-wing form shifted or otherwise.  That would make him way too vulnerable to being killed by someone and he can't have survived as long as he has without learning to not make mistakes like that.

unless he managed to fool the dragons into believing he is one of them
what better hiding place than among the people who want to kill you? they would never suspect it

he keep the dragon disguise permanent, and let his avatar deal with cubi stuff, fool proof

Nightmask

Quote from: Carmeops on July 14, 2022, 07:32:11 PM
Quote from: Nightmask on July 14, 2022, 06:33:35 PM

unless he managed to fool the dragons into believing he is one of them
what better hiding place than among the people who want to kill you? they would never suspect it

he keep the dragon disguise permanent, and let his avatar deal with cubi stuff, fool proof

Nothing's ever foolproof, something can always go wrong.  Just look at Cyra's original plan to take over that city, everything worked out great until the unexpected deal with the soul harvesting kicked in and destroyed everything.

Tarakona

I'm so completely confused but what I do know is we could all use a warp aci 😍

GammaEradon

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 14, 2022, 06:56:37 AM

If Dan's father is actually under the protection of a powerful and mysterious 'Cubi clan, it means Biggs and Destania have got the wrong end of the stick completely.

But it would also open up another common thread - Aniz.  Abel was born with the Quoar traits so on reflection he has a natural interest in Abel.  Edward is believed to be a failed attempt by Abel's father so maybe Quoar has taken him in for reasons relating to that.

Could it be that Quoar wants Biggs and Destania to put whatever scheme they have for destroying dragons into effect, clearing the board for himself, or cubi overall?

joshofspam

Quote from: GammaEradon on July 15, 2022, 09:14:42 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on July 14, 2022, 06:56:37 AM

Could it be that Quoar wants Biggs and Destania to put whatever scheme they have for destroying dragons into effect, clearing the board for himself, or cubi overall?
It's hard to say with how secretive Quoar and his clan seem to be.

Notice that with how much notoririty Quoar seems to have with the other Tri-wings, Aary didn't really put it together like Fa'lina did at the end there. Which suggests there might be things known about Quoar only known by a few people. And Fa'lina gets notes every once and a while, and other Tri-wing leaders don't.

Quoar seems oddly distant with the Cubi race but he puts up some effort to communicate with Fa'lina. I'm thinking something is keeping him from being more open. And consonsidering how powerful he's hinted at being and this dragon that might be him, it might be politics. Namely dragon politics, rather then cubi politics.

Could Quoar actually be a part of the dragon counsel in some capacity?

It certainly is interesting with such a head count of cubi clans pulped under his scaly belt, Fa'lina was able to escape Hizell, no?

Makes me think that Fa'lina might have either had inside help or something else.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on July 15, 2022, 01:10:07 PM
It certainly is interesting with such a head count of cubi clans pulped under his scaly belt, Fa'lina was able to escape Hizell, no?

Makes me think that Fa'lina might have either had inside help or something else.

He may not have tried to restrain her too hard.  After all, with no clan members she would swiftly wither and die anyway.  What actually happened next was a miracle of the Fae and is unlikely to have been considered possible by Hizell.

Carmeops

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 15, 2022, 04:42:52 PM
Quote from: joshofspam on July 15, 2022, 01:10:07 PM

He may not have tried to restrain her too hard.  After all, with no clan members she would swiftly wither and die anyway.  What actually happened next was a miracle of the Fae and is unlikely to have been considered possible by Hizell.
yeah, for all we know, she is STILL prisoner of Hizell, she used her own life to create that pocket dimension-academy, the academy itself is basically her body, and its anchor point might still be in Hizell's dungeon, her transcendence allow her to open entrances to her dimension wherever she want, but it might not have been enough to free her own body from where it was

WhyNot?

Quote from: Carmeops on July 15, 2022, 05:46:27 PM
yeah, for all we know, she is STILL prisoner of Hizell, she used her own life to create that pocket dimension-academy, the academy itself is basically her body, and its anchor point might still be in Hizell's dungeon, her transcendence allow her to open entrances to her dimension wherever she want, but it might not have been enough to free her own body from where it was

I don't see why he wouldn't kill her if that were the case though? It's not like he took her as a trophy, it was to try and get Destania by forcing her to feel her clan die one by one as she refused to answer. She only survived because Hizell chose to leave her to metaphorically 'bleed out' instead of finishing her off which gave her her chance.

SAIA is one of the greatest assets the Cubi race has, if he thought for a second he could destroy it by killing her physical body then he would.