2022-05-25 [DMFA #2079] - Wanna be in my gang?

Started by Tapewolf, May 25, 2022, 05:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Dan's obliviousness is kind of cute.  Maybe his mindset will adjust in time - after all, I think Matilda's lot tend to be poly anyway.  I doubt she'd mind if Dan took a temporary partner in order to bolster the clan.

However "I'd love to join Cyra Clan" is an interesting statement.  Would you really want to become one of Hizell's Most Wanted?  Plus the clan transferrence thing requires Dan to give up some of his lifespan and I doubt Cyra would be too thrilled at that prospect.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 25, 2022, 05:25:53 AM
Dan's obliviousness is kind of cute.  Maybe his mindset will adjust in time - after all, I think Matilda's lot tend to be poly anyway.  I doubt she'd mind if Dan took a temporary partner in order to bolster the clan.

However "I'd love to join Cyra Clan" is an interesting statement.  Would you really want to become one of Hizell's Most Wanted?  Plus the clan transferrence thing requires Dan to give up some of his lifespan and I doubt Cyra would be too thrilled at that prospect.

I agree Dan is super adorable here.  :giggle

Also, I mean if she's giving Dan children then a reduction in lifespan is worth several new lives and members of the clan. If they stay in SAIA the Hizel threat is mitigated.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

joshofspam

I think I'm the biggest fan of Aaya, Dan and Matilda suggestion still.

Though the flirting thing is interesting to me because with even before Dan was showing his headwings, I was getting the impression that the other classmates were subtly flirting with him from time to time. Take that one page with the classmates all dressed up like they're going to the beach to play some volleyball. This suggests it both becoming more frequent, and less subtle.

In a way, I'm wondering if joining Dan clan and him being a prince is the only reason for the increase in propositions? He's also part of a very small clan, and they just lost a Tri-wing leader recently.

I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Glenn Griffon

Dan is adorably oblivious to the interests of anyone but Matilda.
And yeah I don't think Matilda would really care if Dan wanted a second mate but then again she's lived apart from her people for a long time now and may have shed that by now, wasn't she a little disconcerted about his pretending to date Lorenda or am i misremembering?
Personally I think if Dan's gonna date any other girl it'd have to be Aary, she and Dan counter each other well, she's already befriended Matilda, and they just look so cute together.

I dunno, i bet if they really put in the effort they could make it work.

The Lone Wulf

Oh, man!  Imagine being so oblivious to flirting!   ...  I wouldn't, erm, know about that at all...

I think it speaks to Dan's real romantic interest in Matilda that he is entirely missing the seeming interest from his fellow Cubi. I'm glad that he's as happy as he is with her!

Anywho, the Rainbow Red Panda girl? A) What clan is she in? B) She has a super-cute design!  Love her!! :)  Maybe she can come back another time?  Please? :D

Starcat5

Plus the clan transferrence thing requires Dan to give up some of his lifespan and I doubt Cyra would be too thrilled at that prospect.
Isn't that just for Beings (and shorter lived Creatures) who are turned Cubi? An existing Cubi switching to their partner's Clan shouldn't be an issue in that way.

Quote from: joshofspam on May 25, 2022, 09:37:43 AM
I think I'm the biggest fan of Aaya, Dan and Matilda suggestion still.
Quote from: Glenn Griffon on May 25, 2022, 10:47:55 AM
Personally I think if Dan's gonna date any other girl it'd have to be Aary.
Am I honestly the only person with a mental picture in their head of Dan waking up after a party, nude, with Matilda spooning his back, and Wildy cuddling his front? Remember, the resident ferret is Arrow, not Ace. I can easily see her in in a Friends With Benefits situation with the two. :mwaha
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Cassi-kun

Speaking from experience, I completely believe in Dan being utterly clueless in regards to non-Matilda romance lol. My girlfriend would frequently insist that guys wanted to get with me and I'd just be like "Whaaat? °~°"
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Hariman

*Laughs out loud!*

Dan is the kind of man that many women want.  Smart in his own way, but completely oblivious to other women once he's in a relationship.

A bit of a "himbo", "lovable dumbass", single minded, however you want to put it, his various potential suitors are out of luck.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Starcat5 on May 25, 2022, 12:40:15 PMAm I honestly the only person with a mental picture in their head of Dan waking up after a party, nude, with Matilda spooning his back, and Wildy cuddling his front? Remember, the resident ferret is Arrow, not Ace. I can easily see her in in a Friends With Benefits situation with the two. :mwaha
Unfortunately I have no idea where in the comic it happened, but I recall Wildy talking to Dan at one point about seeing suitors for an arranged marriage.  So she may not even be available for sexy shenanigans, or at least not for very long.

MT Hazard

comic 1169 and 1170 are the ones where she talks about her arranged marriage.  The anders text search still works, not sure how current it is though.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

WhyNot?

Quote from: MT Hazard on May 26, 2022, 07:34:45 PM
comic 1169 and 1170 are the ones where she talks about her arranged marriage.  The anders text search still works, not sure how current it is though.

It's interesting to compare and contrast how the San twins see their father. Does Wildy have a better sense of who he is over the time she's spent with him or has she always just made excuses for him? Did Biggs see through him right away or did all the emotion in that situation and his.....'dismissivness' towards his Trans-ness color his perception of him?

Wonder if we'll ever find out where on the 'Actually a bad person' to 'Well meaning but flawed' scale he sits.

Cassi-kun

Glenn Griffon

Quote from: WhyNot? on May 26, 2022, 08:47:20 PM
Quote from: MT Hazard on May 26, 2022, 07:34:45 PM

It's interesting to compare and contrast how the San twins see their father. Does Wildy have a better sense of who he is over the time she's spent with him or has she always just made excuses for him? Did Biggs see through him right away or did all the emotion in that situation and his.....'dismissivness' towards his Trans-ness color his perception of him?

Wonder if we'll ever find out where on the 'Actually a bad person' to 'Well meaning but flawed' scale he sits.
Most parents fall into the well meaning but flawed category. The fact that Biggs was discussing his identity with his mom and she was supporting him in his efforts suggests that his being trans was acceptable to her at least. Dad may have disagreed with it and once mom was gone he tried to exert control over Biggs and stop him doing something he disagreed with. Probably because of the arranged marriage stuff. He likely had suitors in mind for "Bridget" and when Biggs made his intentions clear to transition it messed that up.

Add on top of that Biggs being mad about his father accepting the money on his mother's murder and you have high tensions.
Wildly certainly disagrees with kicking Biggs out but she probably still loves her father a lot and wishes to avoid alienating him because we don't see evidence that he was a bad husband or a bad father to Wildy.

So I'm leaning towards him being a well meaning man but also very flawed and has made mistakes. I suppose we'll have to see if he makes any effort to repair things with Biggs and apologize.

WhyNot?

Quote from: Glenn Griffon on May 27, 2022, 01:56:58 AM
Wildly certainly disagrees with kicking Biggs out but she probably still loves her father a lot and wishes to avoid alienating him because we don't see evidence that he was a bad husband or a bad father to Wildy.

I feel like the implication of what Biggs says in the first panel is the San Mom was raising them in a single parent household, which I feel is backed up by the assumption that Dan believes Biggs to be one of his dad's kids.

Not that that speaks to his character. Marriages fall apart for many reasons, we don't even know if they were married or any knowledge of their relationship other than it had to contain one intimate act, I'm just saying that judging whether we would have evidence that he was a bad husband/father outside of what Biggs says is harder given his supposed lack of presence in their lives.

It doesn't help that the only time someone who's not Biggs talks about him is the Wildy scene in question. Interestingly it's also the only time someone says Biggs was kicked out. Every other time someone tells it, including Biggs, he left.

EDIT:

Most parents fall into the well meaning but flawed category.

True, but DMFA does have it's fair share of parents who are......not that.

Grey Wolf

Matilda's culture was polygynous (polygamous, but just for multiple women to one man), so I would agree that she might be okay with Dan taking a second wife, especially given his clan's predicament.
"Sure, Dan! But if we have more than one daughter, you can't kill her."
I think she had no issue with Dan fake-dating Lorena for survival, but I forget the comic number? It was at the end of Kria's trip to the undead island.

Considering rainbow panda's poly comment, it sounded like she was interested in a romantic relationship with Dan as well as joining his clan. Otherwise, I'm sure there's a magic equivalent to artificial insemenation? Unless the old-fashioned act is also necessary for the ritual? Through that would definitely put her and the kiddo at risk, since I think having/raising offspring is forbidden at SAIA?
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

MT Hazard

Quote from: Grey Wolf on May 27, 2022, 07:49:25 AM

I think she had no issue with Dan fake-dating Lorena for survival, but I forget the comic number? It was at the end of Kria's trip to the undead island.

Might be this one, but the text search has quite a few hits for 'boyfriend'.

Also, it looks like Dan didn't need to worry about self restraint
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Glenn Griffon

Quote from: WhyNot? on May 27, 2022, 03:12:53 AM

I feel like the implication of what Biggs says in the first panel is the San Mom was raising them in a single parent household, which I feel is backed up by the assumption that Dan believes Biggs to be one of his dad's kids.

Not that that speaks to his character. Marriages fall apart for many reasons, we don't even know if they were married or any knowledge of their relationship other than it had to contain one intimate act, I'm just saying that judging whether we would have evidence that he was a bad husband/father outside of what Biggs says is harder given his supposed lack of presence in their lives.

It doesn't help that the only time someone who's not Biggs talks about him is the Wildy scene in question. Interestingly it's also the only time someone says Biggs was kicked out. Every other time someone tells it, including Biggs, he left.

EDIT:

Most parents fall into the well meaning but flawed category.

True, but DMFA does have it's fair share of parents who are......not that.

All very good points. Guess i forgot about that aspect, the dad not being part of their lives.
I hope we get some more info about him.

Techdragon

I have to admit being at least as clueless as Dan when I was younger, and I didn't even have the excuse of being in a relationship for most of it!

Knowing what I do now it's almost painful looking back and realizing just how many times someone clearly had serious interest in being more than friends, but my Oblivious Shield(tm) deflected the attempts with perfect efficiency.

On the other hand that level of innocence is what caught the attention of my current SO who was far more persistent, and we probably wouldn't be together now had I been less clueless, so I'm not too put out.

Lying Foo

Genuinely, I wonder how Mathilda would react to Dan bringing home a little "treat."  Part of me thinks, given her extremely positive reaction to him going off to spend a month with (per Furrae pop demonology) sex demons, she'd be less bothered by him running around than presuming on her behalf.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

YawnPB

Been awhile since I posted, but am I the only one who looked at the cubi lockers and had the lucky charms jingle play in their brain? :mowdizzy
Lurkus Wallflowerus

GammaEradon

Besides all the other big questions yet to be answered, I'm wondering if Dan's dad was even all that great a guy. I mean, he found out his mom was ... pretty terrible. Given that his dad was an Adventurer and potentially not the sharpest tool in the shed (he only spared Destania because he found her attractive, despite all the warnings) I'm wondering if Dan might find him too closed-minded if he were to pop back into his life; given Dan's dating a Mythos, his sister is dating a dragon, his best friend is gay, and all that.

Nightmask

Quote from: GammaEradon on June 27, 2022, 06:28:09 PM
Besides all the other big questions yet to be answered, I'm wondering if Dan's dad was even all that great a guy. I mean, he found out his mom was ... pretty terrible. Given that his dad was an Adventurer and potentially not the sharpest tool in the shed (he only spared Destania because he found her attractive, despite all the warnings) I'm wondering if Dan might find him too closed-minded if he were to pop back into his life; given Dan's dating a Mythos, his sister is dating a dragon, his best friend is gay, and all that.

Dan's dad like most parents is probably average, so he's got some fairly decent things and some fairly bad flaws.  As an adventurer he probably suffers from the common adventurer flaw of simply assuming if it's not a being that it's pure evil and so just fine to kill like we saw with Mink's mother's murder.  We know Dan suffered from that and still struggles with overcoming it and only bothered to do so because he found out he was on the wrong side of that prejudice (although admittedly he started out not like that and only the fatal comedy of misunderstandings with Regina left him down that path).  However considering his Dad also told Dan that there's free therapy coverage in their medical because adventurers 'see things' it's possible Dan's father doesn't suffer from that flaw and other than defending soul-sucking succubi from being so dense hasn't any tragic flaws.

WhyNot?

Besides all the other big questions yet to be answered, I'm wondering if Dan's dad was even all that great a guy. I mean, he found out his mom was ... pretty terrible. Given that his dad was an Adventurer and potentially not the sharpest tool in the shed (he only spared Destania because he found her attractive, despite all the warnings)

Okay, it's not shown that he saved her because she was beautiful and he also doesn't directly call her beautiful either, he just reads off the typical Succubi fear of 'beautiful women devour(ing) my soul in my sleep' as something he's willing to risk instead of having her be killed for no reason.

Edward also was keen to set up his bar as welcome to anyone, having stylized representations of the various races made and used to decorate the inn (Destania got rid of the Dragon one at some point), which suggests to me that this was just something Ed would have done regardless. He did also raise Lex and Dan for most of their lives, I think if he would have had those sorts of issues it would have been something they were aware of.

Quote from: Nightmask on June 27, 2022, 11:42:01 PM
As an adventurer he probably suffers from the common adventurer flaw of simply assuming if it's not a being that it's pure evil and so just fine to kill like we saw with Mink's mother's murder.  We know Dan suffered from that and still struggles with overcoming it and only bothered to do so because he found out he was on the wrong side of that prejudice (although admittedly he started out not like that and only the fatal comedy of misunderstandings with Regina left him down that path).

Dan.....okay, struggles might be a decent way of putting it but 'because he found himself on the other side of it' is absolutely not what happened. We constantly see him hanging out and making Creature friends before the Cubi reveal, from his first adventure having the entire crew be Creatures to hanging out and playing cards with Dragons to forging friendships with Lorenda, Pyro and (attempted) Aaryanna. Now does his experiences with Regina cloud his perception sometimes and make him more likely to see events one way, and not question things that line up with that? Yes, but that is a far cry from 'all Creatures are evil'.

I am sorry if what I said is what you were getting at but I remember takes that were like 'Oh, before Dan was a Cubi he'd just see a Creature walking along and just murder it for no reason' and.....no, not letting it get to that point again.

As an adventurer he probably suffers from the common adventurer flaw of simply assuming if it's not a being that it's pure evil and so just fine to kill like we saw with Mink's mother's murder.

This is also certainly an interesting, if more accurate, take to look at. Considering Mink's mother was well over 400 years ago, how directly racist are the Adventurers of today? It doesn't help that the term 'Creature' covers a very broad ground and, while the characters know what groups are being referred to, it's somewhat up to interpretation whenever they bring them up. I mean, at the very least, Phoenixes and Gryphon's seem to be considered essentially just Beings and join up as Adventures/live normally in Being areas without comment or notice despite 'technically' being part of that description.

It's kinda like if the only separation was 'latino/not latino' or 'Pansexual/LGBT+ Straight'. I do wonder if that might be an intentional thing in-universe that the definitions got made to be this way? It'd certainly make one side more wary to trust/work with them against the higher Creatures and members of the other side less judgmental of their fellows/get drawn deeper into a hateful rabbit hole if 'calling out the legitimate advantages of the privileged and the very real oppression you have to push back against' and 'just going on a completely imaginary racist tirade' used the exact same terms.

his best friend is gay, and all that.

Funnily enough I was just thinking about this. Transphobia exists on the Furrae, but does homophobia or sexism? The uncaring casualness the non-grey sexualities are treated with plus the fact we had openly gay Adventurers 400 years ago leads me to think that it's not really a thing in modern Furrae. Jy does struggle with his sexuality but that seems to be an entirely personal self-discovery and learning to use labels as guideposts instead of set in stone markers as opposed to outside factors.

As for sexism.....well on the Furrae judging someone solely for their sex is going to get you killed more often than not. Between racial differences, the ability to learn magic and Adventuring guilds seemingly not caring (heck, Dan implies the Ti'Fiona name passed matrilinealy at least once, presumably as it was more respected due to her Adventuring career) I feel like there's decent evidence it doesn't. Occasionally concepts of traditional femininity do get bought up but never in a way that feels like 'the ability to competently put a sword through someone's brain' would run counter to them.

Of course I could be totally wrong and be forgetting things, and I am talking about the general perception of these issues as opposed to groups like Matilda's race who have their own internal culture, but I feel like what I've said makes sense from what we've seen.

The One Guy

Dan's dad like most parents is probably average, so he's got some fairly decent things and some fairly bad flaws.  As an adventurer he probably suffers from the common adventurer flaw of simply assuming if it's not a being that it's pure evil and so just fine to kill like we saw with Mink's mother's murder.  We know Dan suffered from that and still struggles with overcoming it and only bothered to do so because he found out he was on the wrong side of that prejudice (although admittedly he started out not like that and only the fatal comedy of misunderstandings with Regina left him down that path).  However considering his Dad also told Dan that there's free therapy coverage in their medical because adventurers 'see things' it's possible Dan's father doesn't suffer from that flaw and other than defending soul-sucking succubi from being so dense hasn't any tragic flaws.
I think it's important to note the first panel here: "I was the son of an adventurer...but I was also the son of a creature.  A creature that my dad often spoke of giving a chance for redemption."  It shows that his Dad liked to emphasize how creatures didn't have to be evil, and that story arc reveals that Dan didn't believe in the idea of creatures being inherently evil until the incident with Regina.  Granted, it still leaves open the possibility that he viewed creatures as inherently evil, just capable of learning to go against their nature, possibly even being the type of person Regina brings up a bit later in the arc here and having a thing for "taming the dangerous creature."

GammaEradon

Given Cyra's reputation among Cubi, plus Destania's--how cute does Dan have to be for other cubi to still want to associate with him?

Maybe his ego is a bit warranted!

...Nah XD

Nightmask

Quote from: GammaEradon on July 05, 2022, 11:08:45 PM
Given Cyra's reputation among Cubi, plus Destania's--how cute does Dan have to be for other cubi to still want to associate with him?

Maybe his ego is a bit warranted!

...Nah XD

Well he's certainly got SOMETHING going for him if there are cubi willing to actually have kids with him because of his clan association, despite the general most-hated status it seems to have.