2021-09-20 [DMFA #2055] The Opposite of Fast Fashion

Started by killpurakat, September 19, 2021, 11:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killpurakat

To be fair, NOT changing styles and keeping with a specific aesthetic  is less wasteful in general and less harmful to the environment. Also gives you the chance to highly personalize clothing (even with machines, embroidery and lace take time).

That said, I bet there is some evolution of fashion in a cyclic form. Like, the big poofy skirts of the 1850s got some of their under layers removed and tied back a bit for the bustle era of the 1870s and then lifted in front for a different bustle look in the 1890s. With such long-lived clothing people, they could consider this sort of movement more of a "seasonal shift" than true changing of clothes and have several clothing styles that shift each decade for a different but overall stagnant look.

Pretty neat that Regina is already picking this stuff up. From what we saw of her at first, she definitely seemed to be only, "oh this magazine says this look is good and so I think it is now good too and must go get it." Now, she's giving off a, "styles evolve but politics, location, climate, and races in the area are all factors that dictate why clothing is what it is and I can easily analyze and deduce key aspects of a town based on clothing alone."

killpurakat

(As a side note: Sorry that you are dealing with so much, Amber. I know Covid has made several of my own issues--and those of many of my friends--harder to deal with. If taking a break will help, please do! We'll be right here when you come back!

And actually, I've been trying to finish a little DMFA-related craft project, so maybe by the time you come back, I'll actually have that done and can show you!

*starts sweating nervously over self-imposed-but-now-public deadline*)

Renadt

This is what happens when you have a supportive person in your life. Of course, she could now see rampaging as a way for her to influence fashion trends, but I doubt she'd want to kill if she hasn't already developed a taste for it.

Quote from: killpurakat on September 19, 2021, 11:39:43 PM
To be fair, NOT changing styles and keeping with a specific aesthetic  is less wasteful in general and less harmful to the environment. Also gives you the chance to highly personalize clothing (even with machines, embroidery and lace take time).

That said, I bet there is some evolution of fashion in a cyclic form. Like, the big poofy skirts of the 1850s got some of their under layers removed and tied back a bit for the bustle era of the 1870s and then lifted in front for a different bustle look in the 1890s. With such long-lived clothing people, they could consider this sort of movement more of a "seasonal shift" than true changing of clothes and have several clothing styles that shift each decade for a different but overall stagnant look.

Pretty neat that Regina is already picking this stuff up. From what we saw of her at first, she definitely seemed to be only, "oh this magazine says this look is good and so I think it is now good too and must go get it." Now, she's giving off a, "styles evolve but politics, location, climate, and races in the area are all factors that dictate why clothing is what it is and I can easily analyze and deduce key aspects of a town based on clothing alone."

Tapewolf

Quote from: Renadt on September 20, 2021, 01:32:08 AM
This is what happens when you have a supportive person in your life. Of course, she could now see rampaging as a way for her to influence fashion trends, but I doubt she'd want to kill if she hasn't already developed a taste for it.

Also that would annoy the creature guardians of the town, and Regina is probably not good enough to take them on at this stage.  It would also not help her career in the fashion industry.

The question for me is whether she's actually going to find anything she can use.  The opening line implies she likes what she sees, but at the same time, if they're such a time capsule, will it be in any way suitable for someone in her position?  Then again, since she's unlikely to age for many centuries, she could just hold onto it until it becomes in vogue again.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Prroul

Honestly? I could see Regina not necessarily doing a 'rampage' so much as a 'hostile corporate takeover'. I can imagine seeing her learn from Uncle Aliph's long-term planning and slowly but firmly entrenching herself in her fashion company until she ends up taking over. From there? Ever seen 'The Devil Wears Prada'? I could see her being that kind of boss. Tough but fair, with a true passion for the industry, and zero tolerance for kiss-ups and incompetency.

Tuyu

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 20, 2021, 05:51:47 AM

Also that would annoy the creature guardians of the town, and Regina is probably not good enough to take them on at this stage.  It would also not help her career in the fashion industry.

The question for me is whether she's actually going to find anything she can use.  The opening line implies she likes what she sees, but at the same time, if they're such a time capsule, will it be in any way suitable for someone in her position?  Then again, since she's unlikely to age for many centuries, she could just hold onto it until it becomes in vogue again.
We haven't seen Viv giving Regina anything resembling textbook or classroom style instruction, so I'd give  her the benefit of the doubt and say a lot of this she already knew.

But the real issue right now isn't the town's guardian creature; it's the group of fashion-conscious adventurers who decided to check out the demons visiting town.

Akisohida

Quote from: Tuyu on September 23, 2021, 05:11:50 PM

We haven't seen Viv giving Regina anything resembling textbook or classroom style instruction, so I'd give  her the benefit of the doubt and say a lot of this she already knew.

But the real issue right now isn't the town's guardian creature; it's the group of fashion-conscious adventurers who decided to check out the demons visiting town.

True! But hopefully they will be impressed by Regina's knowledge enough to not attack. I mean, how many demons talk about fashon before going on a rampage? How many would have the drive to know that much about a subject beforehand?
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Akisohida on September 24, 2021, 11:35:05 PM
True! But hopefully they will be impressed by Regina's knowledge enough to not attack. I mean, how many demons talk about fashon before going on a rampage? How many would have the drive to know that much about a subject beforehand?

I think it's safe to assume Dark Pegasus has been here before, since he knows how to teleport there, knows they have a shopping centre and so on.  Presumably if he visits regularly he also knows the procedure for placating the local guards, maybe some kind of pass or perhaps he has to pay a large deposit on visiting the town and doesn't get it back if there's a rampage.   Regina might be more difficult to get past them, not least because she's young and hasn't done a rampage yet.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

killpurakat

Quote from: Tuyu on September 23, 2021, 05:11:50 PM

We haven't seen Viv instructing Regina beyond party etiquette and requirements, true, but Regina also met Jericho and has been going through things that are much more pressing. I wouldn't be surprised if Regina has actually learned much more about fashion in-between comics from her internship, and we just aren't seeing it because (a) it isn't super relevant to the comic's progression (in the same way that in shows/movies about high schoolers, you don't see all 8 hours of HS subjects that they are supposedly learning each day) and (b) because Amber is very humble about what they don't know and while they may have some world-building things figured out with regards to fashion, they don't want to go into detail about fashion trends and how those might work in Furrae (similare, in fact, to how they handled money in an earlier comic; and, TBH, I'm the same in that--in any sort of world-building or writing context--I'm not going to bring something up or reinvent the wheel if I haven't researched it a bunch and feel comfortable speaking about it).

That said, it could also be that Regina has taken it upon herself to learn more about fashion and its workings independent of Viv (and possibly before getting the internship) because she is now in a safer environment where she can truly express herself. I'm just basing my understanding about her learning progress based on how she reacted with her fashion magazines right after she ran off with Aliph, wherein she seemed to have a very superficial love of fashion. (When Aliph asked her about what she liked and maybe wanted to focus on, she replied, "I like fashion. The styles. The trends. I think it's cool." What we see in this comic is a much more nuanced appreciation and understanding, so I feel she's really put some work into learning more about it.)

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 25, 2021, 07:48:14 AM
Quote from: Akisohida on September 24, 2021, 11:35:05 PM

I think it's safe to assume Dark Pegasus has been here before, since he knows how to teleport there, knows they have a shopping centre and so on.  Presumably if he visits regularly he also knows the procedure for placating the local guards, maybe some kind of pass or perhaps he has to pay a large deposit on visiting the town and doesn't get it back if there's a rampage.   Regina might be more difficult to get past them, not least because she's young and hasn't done a rampage yet.

I don't know if people attack demons on sight. Like, yeah, sure, some might, but I'm guessing if nobody is covered in blood and causing a fuss, then a hostile reaction might not be the first step of seeing new people in town. Especially if this town has Creatures as the founders and, presumably, leaders. It might be that Regina and Aliph get watched a bit closely, just to be on the safe side, but other than that they are free to shop and do business.

And since the random people walked right up to Aliph and Regina and just chatted--about spandex, which is a relatively recent thing--they probably get travelers from all over and so are aware of happenings and trends and news beyond the "small town" facade.

Also, it just occurs to me that perhaps fashion moves at a weird pace BECAUSE of mythos and the fact that they have unique body shapes that don't quite jive with the relatively simplistic standard body plan of Beings. Like, we saw Kria wear an amulet that hid her wings in an earlier comic. What if part of the reason for the development of those wasn't just camouflage/stealth, but also because it allowed demons and angels to buy and wear more diverse clothing? And Matilda confirmed that fashion in general is much more difficult for her to adapt to and keep up with.

Tuyu

Major Matt Mason

Remember, folks, spandex is a privilege, not a right.  Same with yoga pants.
Wherever you go...there you are.   -B. Banzai