2020-02-03 [DMFA #1968] - The only living boy in Hishaan

Started by Tapewolf, February 03, 2020, 04:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

That's pretty strong proof that she didn't intend the city to turn to glass, since it took her own family out into the bargain.
Anyway, I wonder how Dan is going to comfort her...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

MT Hazard

You didn't kill them Cyra, you had no way of knowing, indeed you may have saved them, the monster was eating their souls after death, with his destruction they are free.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Jasae Bushae

Quote from: MT Hazard on February 03, 2020, 05:10:29 AM
You didn't kill them Cyra, you had no way of knowing, indeed you may have saved them, the monster was eating their souls after death, with his destruction they are free.
Not necessarily free.....
Its just as possible that in killing the dragon she unintentionally wound up absorbing not just its power, but all of those souls which the dragon had been drawing upon. I can't recall if it was ever stated what specific point led to everyone turning into glass.
I might be a hack writer but thats no reason not to Enjoy writing anyways
http://greenfrostfire.deviantart.com/

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jasae Bushae on February 03, 2020, 06:05:03 AM
Not necessarily free.....
Its just as possible that in killing the dragon she unintentionally wound up absorbing not just its power, but all of those souls which the dragon had been drawing upon. I can't recall if it was ever stated what specific point led to everyone turning into glass.

At a guess, I'd assume the spell caused M'Chek to eat his own soul and 'crashed' or whatever spells do when they have an unrecoverable error condition, resulting in the conversion of the city and all its occupants into glass as a side-effect.  I would like to think that the soul-eating part of the spell ceased to function as a result.  I hope so, for the sake of the citizens.

Now, in other scenarios I'd wonder whether the vitrification of the city was some kind of dead-man's handle to dissuade people from taking M'Chek out, but those only really work when your opponents know about it, and as far as we know, nobody did.  After all, it would not be a good advert for the city.  "Come and live here, it's a lovely life!(*)    *unless our beloved Dragon guardian gets killed, in which case everybody else dies too!"

EDIT: The big question for me is, what stopped Cyra getting vitrified too?

HaDDea

Oh, Dan - you utter dingus.

Poor Cyra - power has exacted a high price from you.

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 03, 2020, 06:20:49 AM
EDIT: The big question for me is, what stopped Cyra getting vitrified too?

Jyrras mentioned in comic 370 that raw magical energy can have unpredictable reactions. Perhaps the spell just unravelled, leaving a stunning amount or raw magical energy standing around doing nothing (for the briefest of moments).

I was also hunting around for (but couldn't find) where Jyrras was discussing magical percentages on objects. I think he mentions that enough magic buildup in an object resists more magic to a degree? Maybe as a newly minted living magical focus, Cyra just naturally repelled (or even just up and absorbed) all raw magic energy near her, thus protecting herself?

YBlu

^ comic 1172

Tapewolf

It's perhaps worth bearing in mind that these people would be dead by now anyway.  Had Cyra left well alone, they'd have died of old age and been eaten by M'Chek, or been hunted down by Hizell anyway as soon as he had a suitable excuse to start the war.
If M'Chek had died and the city had avoided obliteration, Hizell would have hunted them down as Cyra's progeny.
Ironically, if they're still there in the city made of glass, they've had a better monument left than they would otherwise have had.

The only thing that she's lost that would otherwise have been is their hypothetical descendants, which is admittedly important, especially to a clan leader.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 03, 2020, 06:20:49 AM[EDIT: The big question for me is, what stopped Cyra getting vitrified too?
The backlash of her ascension itself may have bubbled her from the glassing.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

e_voyager

I thought that she killed him in order to use his soul to ascend to Tri wing status but she did so without knowing that he was consuming The Souls of those in his kingdom and order to prolong his life and increase his power.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Quote from: e_voyager on February 04, 2020, 01:50:22 PM
I thought that she killed him in order to use his soul to ascend to Tri wing status but she did so without knowing that he was consuming The Souls of those in his kingdom and order to prolong his life and increase his power.

We don't know exactly what she did or what she intended.  We know that she knew M'Chek had a source of power and that she coveted it for herself.  It's vaguely worded in that she might have intended to eat him into the bargain, but it might equally mean that she just wanted to plug herself into whatever was boosting him.   ( http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1217.php )

It's not clear whether she intended to ascend per se, given that most people who try it end up destroyed.  Indeed, she might well have seen this as an alternative to ascension, and then was forced into a making an ascension attempt when everything went sideways and she was suddenly given a massive influx of energy.

e_voyager

Wow that is a very good image I want it to look up when she first told him about what happened with that City that she turned to glass. Honestly I'd like to go back to when Dan and Crya first met and see if there was anything and that conversation indicating what happened with her Ascension. I also would like to reread her discussion of what happened with Dan's mother
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Eboreg

You know, I kind of wonder if Dan will take this as sign that he needs to step up his efforts to "rebuild the clan". Perhaps it will be easier for Cyra to get over the loss of the old clan of thousands if a new clan of thousands is just over the horizon.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Carmeops

you know, i started to think, when Dan does this kind of horrible goof, it might be influenced by his clan's affinity for pain

when someone nearby is in deep pain, physically or emotionally, his affinity gives him a slight power boost, he has more energy to joke around, until he notice that someone is in fact in pain and he was very inappropriate

Cassi-kun

I wonder if, at any point, Hishaan will be de-glassed.

And what the soul situation will be like, whether it be like the "real" Undead or like Devin who got blanked.

And how Cyra would handle "losing" her children that way after getting them out of the glass.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cassi-kun on February 05, 2020, 06:50:41 PM

Yeah, but if those people retain their personality in any way, it's also liable to de-glass some of M'Chek's children and they are not going to be pleased.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 05, 2020, 07:14:24 PM

Yeah, but if those people retain their personality in any way, it's also liable to de-glass some of M'Chek's children and they are not going to be pleased.
This is true. Unless it happens one by one, there's going to be larger conflicts.

Tuyu

One thing to consider, though it may just be the limits of a complicated piece of art and an awkward pose, but I don't see a third set of wings on Cyra.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tuyu on February 06, 2020, 01:32:43 AM
One thing to consider, though it may just be the limits of a complicated piece of art and an awkward pose, but I don't see a third set of wings on Cyra.

Well, in the dreamscape she's able to adopt any form she likes, e.g. Granny Cyra.  Interestingly, Granny form doesn't have hip-wings either.

If this is reality, i.e. Dan has been teleported to present-day Hishaan and has physically climbed 40 floors (as opposed to the dreamscape realistically simulating exertion) then that would be an avatar of Cyra, and therefore customisable.

It's an interesting catch, but I'm not sure how significant it is.

Alondro

SHE TRANSMUTED CARBON INTO SILICON!!!

That's like, Red Supergiant-level power!  Of course, if she went one level higher, they'd have turned into iron.  Proper cold iron to boot (never touched by oxidative reactions, ie 'burned', thus pure from the fusion of a star's core and possessing immense magic-absorbing properties)!  THEN EVEN THE FAE WOULD BE POWERLESS AGAINST HER!!

Or... against ME!!  Soon...  :mwaha

Also, can I kill Hizel now?  I really don't like him.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

joshofspam

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 06, 2020, 04:37:29 AM
Quote from: Tuyu on February 06, 2020, 01:32:43 AM

Well, in the dreamscape she's able to adopt any form she likes, e.g. Granny Cyra.  Interestingly, Granny form doesn't have hip-wings either.

If this is reality, i.e. Dan has been teleported to present-day Hishaan and has physically climbed 40 floors (as opposed to the dreamscape realistically simulating exertion) then that would be an avatar of Cyra, and therefore customisable.

This could be a memory a day after the event. She could be  mentally remembering herself the way she was before the city died.

One thing I often find myself wondering is just how many dragons might be using this soul sucking city setup to get more power in the past and present day?

With the way dragons are talked about would it really be surprising if most elder dragons are the biggest soul suckers of all Furrae?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: joshofspam on February 06, 2020, 04:12:09 PMOne thing I often find myself wondering is just how many dragons might be using this soul sucking city setup to get more power in the past and present day?
I'd imagine Hizell harvests his Mythos cultists at least

Tuyu

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 06, 2020, 04:37:29 AM
For now, I'm working from the premise that this is a replay of her memories from the time of the event. The observation, if accurate, suggests a gap between the death of M'chek and her ascension.

Nightmask

And what the soul situation will be like, whether it be like the "real" Undead or like Devin who got blanked.

And how Cyra would handle "losing" her children that way after getting them out of the glass.

I would say it would simply be a corpse, or a soulless, mindless empty shell if the body was able to be alive.  All of them were turned to glass and were glass when that zombie animation spell was cast, it would be extremely unlikely it would have affected them in their glass state if it could they'd have become animated glass zombies.  So anyone whose soul was eaten unglassing them isn't going to really do any good, other than in a squicky way I'll defer from describing.

Alondro

All this soul-eating!  It's wrong, I tells ya!  WRONG!!

Don't you go makin' me call Maka Alborn and Death the Kid!

;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

e_voyager

Yeah it is I see it if it is possible for them to be the glass it's also possible that the at the turn them to Glass trap their souls with inside those glass containers sort of like the artificial souls and project future or what Abel said to gyrus when he was talking about the horrible things that could happen from opening up to his friends