9/26/06 Suckerpunch!

Started by Zedd, September 26, 2006, 09:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sheridan on September 27, 2006, 04:25:25 AM
also; it's 27/9/06 or 9/27/06 (AS IT SAYS IN THE WEBSITE TITLE BAR), you crazy backwards Americans.

[Looks at Sheridan's profile] Oh my Gods, I'm so sorry - I thought you were from the US :redface

(Just in case anyone has the wrong idea, I don't have a problem with Americans - but in my experience Europeans don't like being pegged that way, so I try to make a mental note of which country people come from.  And sometimes it goes wrong.)

And now, back to the comic strip..

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Arcalane

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 27, 2006, 04:42:14 AM[Looks at Sheridan's profile] Oh my Gods, I'm so sorry - I thought you were from the US :redface

Easy enough mistake to make. Born in Lahndaaaaaahn, mate. :U

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sheridan on September 27, 2006, 04:47:53 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on September 27, 2006, 04:42:14 AM[Looks at Sheridan's profile] Oh my Gods, I'm so sorry - I thought you were from the US :redface

Easy enough mistake to make. Born in Lahndaaaaaahn, mate. :U

So was I, actually, but we mustn't sit here all day discussing our origins - or if we do, it should go in another thread.

Has anyone noticed that Pyro seems to be wearing a miniskirt in the last frame?

bill

Quote from: Hilary on September 26, 2006, 11:12:43 PM
Quote from: BillBuckner on September 26, 2006, 09:39:10 PM
He's throwing a crate at him? What does this give DMFA on the STC scale? (Please tell me someone's heard of the STC scale)
Hmm. That would be StC: 686 comics. Though there is some boxage in panel two of comic 230... Does that count?
I don't know. StC does consider barrels as crates, but I'm not sure about cardboard boxes. I'ma go to the APFs on this one.

Zedd

I noticed Jak...But i think its the frills of his vest

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Arcalane

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 27, 2006, 06:46:25 AM
Quote from: Sheridan on September 27, 2006, 04:47:53 AMBorn in Lahndaaaaaahn, mate. :U

Did you want something for that? :-)

Did you want a poke in the eye with a sharp stick? :P

ShiningShadow

Listen guys and ladies I think Abel has something of a death wish here but that's Abel. BUt there's a pure hatred for PyroDuck for being a dragon and something else that's the main issue here. As I see it is in the past and I bet my last 2, 3, 4 cents! that is in the Abel arc that we get an understanding of this. I would done the smae thing if anybody has wronged me in the past I hit them upside the head with a metal garbage can lid and all and dump the garbage on them.

Mel Dragonkitty

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 27, 2006, 04:13:29 AM
I must say I'm surprised to see Abel like this - I can't work out whether it's hate or terror that's motivating him, but I think it might be a combination of the two.

Whatever his problem is with dragons it's something he can control. That blue dragon sneaking up behind him in the bookstore didn't even make him jump. Evidently he quietly purchased the book and left.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mel Dragonkitty on September 27, 2006, 08:24:08 AM
Whatever his problem is with dragons it's something he can control. That blue dragon sneaking up behind him in the bookstore didn't even make him jump. Evidently he quietly purchased the book and left.

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_654.php

Hard to say - they might just have been a regular demon.  Or, it might be that he bought the book quietly because he was afraid of them.  Or he didn't want to make trouble in the city which is going to have a Creature patron.

Alondro

*Charles thinks any dragon that Abel has seen dies offscreen*  I'll bet he has a whole underworld group at his command, ready to assassinate any dragons he sees!  

*Charline hmphs*  Silly Abel.  That's why he'll never achieve tri-wing status, he just hasn't grown out of his impulsive phase.  He needs to learn to take advantage of dragons who offer friendship.  Their race possesses a mouthwatering amount of power... to absorb!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

... or because he liked the book enough that he was going to buy it anyway.

Or because he was bemused by the contents. Or amused.

There's any number of possibilities...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Charline on September 27, 2006, 08:45:41 AM
He needs to learn to take advantage of dragons who offer friendship.  Their race possesses a mouthwatering amount of power... to absorb!   >:3
..or be absorbed into.

'Cubi have soul-trapping power, and demons seem to be able to acquire a similar ability (DP's ritual for the Dark God).. if demons and 'cubi are somehow descended from dragons, it stands to reason that they would be able to do the same kind of thing...

Mel Dragonkitty

I meant that it's not a blind fear driving Abel. Unlike, for example my cat who freaks out every time a dog is near whether it's a threat or not (like my grandmother's 2lb poodle when the cat weighed 20lb.) Abel's fear may be deeply ingrained but he can make choices while it is riding him. He can choose to buy a book rather than causing a riot in the mall, he can devise a plan to get a sucker punch in. And he chose a plan that involved fight rather than flight. This seems more like rival college football teams than war.
My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives. I said to my girlfriend just the other day: "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting," I said. The places you must go and the things you must see. My stars! And I'll bet you meet a lot of interesting people, too. I'm always interested in meeting interesting people.

luiqui

Quote from: Mel Dragonkitty on September 27, 2006, 09:17:35 AM
I meant that it's not a blind fear driving Abel. Unlike, for example my cat who freaks out every time a dog is near whether it's a threat or not (like my grandmother's 2lb poodle when the cat weighed 20lb.) Abel's fear may be deeply ingrained but he can make choices while it is riding him. He can choose to buy a book rather than causing a riot in the mall, he can devise a plan to get a sucker punch in. And he chose a plan that involved fight rather than flight. This seems more like rival college football teams than war.

I was agreeing with you right until the last sentence, 'cause it reads as if Abel's plan is to deliver as much pain to dragons as is possible without having to face the consequences (really, that second point is rather encapsulated by the first - kinda hard to deal out dragon beatings from prison). But that theory doesn't really make sense in this situation, as he's attacking a friend of a friend in proximinty of said friend, which would lead to many a consequence.

But yeah, I agree, I don't think it's blind fear. I think it's just born of drive for self protection, and also to protect Dan (see #685) from a hostile force.

Mel Dragonkitty

Quote from: luiqui on September 27, 2006, 11:10:41 AM
I was agreeing with you right until the last sentence, 'cause it reads as if Abel's plan is to deliver as much pain to dragons as is possible without having to face the consequences (really, that second point is rather encapsulated by the first - kinda hard to deal out dragon beatings from prison).

And this is different from college sports how? Most sports are just televised gang fights in matching shirts.

ShiningShadow

I think it's more involved than that. Abel has something that Pyro just set;s him off. Until we have the full story. Then we will speculate more :kruger :kruger :kruger.............

Jim Halisstrad

You know, it does look like Pyro is wearing a miniskirt.  O.o
I bet Able and Pyro live double lives, secretly being smoking hot fashion designer spies.

Because both of them seem that pretentious :p

LigerJet

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on September 27, 2006, 12:27:55 PM
You know, it does look like Pyro is wearing a miniskirt.  O.o
I bet Able and Pyro live double lives, secretly being smoking hot fashion designer spies.

Because both of them seem that pretentious :p
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_513.php Abel already is a fashion desinger.  :laugh

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 27, 2006, 04:42:14 AM
Quote from: Sheridan on September 27, 2006, 04:25:25 AM
also; it's 27/9/06 or 9/27/06 (AS IT SAYS IN THE WEBSITE TITLE BAR), you crazy backwards Americans.

[Looks at Sheridan's profile] Oh my Gods, I'm so sorry - I thought you were from the US :redface

(Just in case anyone has the wrong idea, I don't have a problem with Americans - but in my experience Europeans don't like being pegged that way, so I try to make a mental note of which country people come from.  And sometimes it goes wrong.)

And now, back to the comic strip..

Well being an American, we mostly see the English as rude, Obnoxious, "Higher than tough Art " biggots. That and we also  think they think they are so much better than everyone else...much like my opinion of Calafornia and the land of the midnight sun.

Notice: this was not meant to offend, just state preconcieved opinions.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on September 27, 2006, 01:28:30 PM
Well being an American, we mostly see the English as rude, Obnoxious, "Higher than thou Art " biggots.
That and we also  think they think they are so much better than everyone else...

About 80-100 years ago that would have been more-or-less dead-on >:3

**EDIT**
But for Gods' sakes, let's discuss the comic and not turn this into some evil political flamewar  :erk

Sid

Today's comic in two words: Male bonding. :P
:boogie

KarlOmega1

Quote from: Sid on September 27, 2006, 01:53:26 PM
Today's comic in two words: Male bonding. :P

hmmm...you may be right...I may be crazy...
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

GabrielsThoughts

I'm thinking Abel's Unholy Beatdown probably feels like an infant smacking an elephants behind, compared to the payback Pyroduck is about to release on his furry agressor...  :kruger Abel will probably suffer from amnesia for a week, or in "lame" terms Pyro is going to hurt him so hard his daddy's going to feel the pain.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Aridas

Does everyone forget that Pyroduck SAID that the immediate problem between him and Abel was racial? Come on guys, stop going away from that, you can't make good speculations without it.

And in comic 654? Forgive my lack of knowledge of this one aspect, but there are probably 2 things that could contradict things:

1. That COULD be the cameo, though the cameo may just as well have been the head peeking at the bottom of the frame... I got confused there since I don't know the character. Either way, Abel would probably not beat a cameo to a pulp. Otherwise if I'm wrong like I probably am...

2. We've never seen any bipedal dragons yet, or dragons who took bipedal forms that were similar to their regular form, so I'm not sure if that one is, despite all the features.

llearch n'n'daCorna

You mean Pyro's bipedal form isn't like his quadrapedal form?

same long green hair style, same gold ring on the tail, same colour skin, same eyes...

Nope, nothing alike there. :-)

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on September 27, 2006, 02:26:29 PM
I'm thinking Abel's Unholy Beatdown probably feels like an infant smacking an elephants behind, compared to the payback Pyroduck is about to release on his furry agressor...

More likely:

[Door bursts open]
"Abel, what the Hell are you doing?!?"
"But he's a DRAGON!  He'll kill us all!"
"A dragon?  Okay, carry on then."

..and that's if it's Dan - if it's Wildy who bursts in, all bets are off.

Manawolf

Wildy alluded to the idea that she knew Pyroduck was a dragon, or at least some form of powerful creature.  Also, on the note of Pyro's bracers, I've looked through some of the old strips, and along with noticing how much crisper the comic has gotten within another 100 strips, it seems either he doesn't always wear them, or Amber sometimes forgets to put them in.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Amber? Forget? Of course not! Heresy! Stone him! Stone him!

... *grin*

Weleho Rogan

It could be just the same case as with the color of eyes..