2019-01-19 [DMFA #1896] - Fun, fun, fun

Started by Tapewolf, January 19, 2019, 12:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

I'm assuming Dan's take is that he has obligations outside the school and if he enjoys himself too much on campus, it will be hard to leave.
And yay, Illiath and Brady!

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Akisohida

All I can say is 'Yee! I love that happy lil chibi-Dan face in the ball pit!'
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Dracologist

It's almost too peaceful... If it were me I'd have a completely different dynamic to the character and how he interacts here.  He was trained as an adventurer, someone who's tasks with hunting down monsters and whatnot.  if it were me I'd have many of the students at this school hold a huge grudge because of this.  They see him as a traitor to their kind and he has to earn back their good faith, but a few clans will never fully forgive him.  That's just me, however.

Hariman

Not gonna lie... I got a good laugh out of the return of the Wokka Wokka headwings.
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dracologist on January 19, 2019, 10:25:41 PM
It's almost too peaceful... If it were me I'd have a completely different dynamic to the character and how he interacts here.  He was trained as an adventurer, someone who's tasks with hunting down monsters and whatnot.  if it were me I'd have many of the students at this school hold a huge grudge because of this.  They see him as a traitor to their kind and he has to earn back their good faith, but a few clans will never fully forgive him.  That's just me, however.

As Abel pointed out way back (p602), the situation where an adventurer later discovers they're a 'Cubi themselves is not exactly uncommon.  Unless they were actively killing 'Cubi in their previous career, there's unlikely to be much of a grudge for that reason.  Taun clan members are often adventurers as well - Illiath would also have trained as an adventurer, and while there might be students with a grudge against them, it's more likely to be impotent rage given that they'd get their asses kicked.

That said, there are likely to be a number of students with grudges against Dan, owing to his clan.  The son of a dangerous maniac who taught murder and rape and is congenitally predisposed to enjoy hurting others, that's going to drive people off.  Others have not forgiven Cyra for inadvertently igniting the Dragon-Cubi war and are likely to behave exactly as you describe, the only difference being the reason.  (See also p.1712)

As for it being too peaceful, I guess we'll see.  I don't think Dan yet knows about Abel's near death experience, and Dan cannot now go home to Lost Lake because Hizell will spot him.  But Fa'Lina might not strictly be able to foresee that.

The One Guy

Quote from: Dracologist on January 19, 2019, 10:25:41 PM

In addition to what Tapewolf said, remember that Destania made Dan promise to not fight any Cubi.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 19, 2019, 12:13:33 PM
I'm assuming Dan's take is that he has obligations outside the school and if he enjoys himself too much on campus, it will be hard to leave.
Or it may be an unwillingness to accept school as a place of enjoyment :P

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 20, 2019, 08:35:28 AMDan cannot now go home to Lost Lake because Hizell will spot him.
Hizell isn't monitoring Lost Lake any further
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Cassi-kun on January 21, 2019, 01:17:06 AM
Hizell isn't monitoring Lost Lake any further

I was never so glad to be proven wrong.

However that still means that Dan is not going to be giving Abel a hospital visit (and Abel cannot leave Zinvth).  Also there is the problem that Hizell is sending goons to hassle Pyroduck every month (?).  Hizell might do a quick scry just for that, to see how his progeny is getting along.  Even if he doesn't, the fact that there is someone with wings identical to Destania's is going to raise a big flag.  It might even be worth aborting the mission to tell the boss - after all, they're going to die anyway.  And even if they didn't, they're empathically linked to their sisters and that might be enough for Hizell to take a look.

Tuyu

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 20, 2019, 08:35:28 AM
That said, there are likely to be a number of students with grudges against Dan, owing to his clan.  The son of a dangerous maniac who taught murder and rape and is congenitally predisposed to enjoy hurting others, that's going to drive people off.  Others have not forgiven Cyra for inadvertently igniting the Dragon-Cubi war and are likely to behave exactly as you describe, the only difference being the reason.  (See also p.1712)
But that was Fa'lina's point--the students are more likely to have no more than a second- or third-hand stake in that. Abel is probably unusual in having attended SAIA for centuries. So if there are any clan vendettas out there, the students will be hearing about it from their grandparents or great-great-great-great-great grandparents. It won't be personal to them.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tuyu on January 23, 2019, 02:12:31 AM
But that was Fa'lina's point--the students are more likely to have no more than a second- or third-hand stake in that. Abel is probably unusual in having attended SAIA for centuries. So if there are any clan vendettas out there, the students will be hearing about it from their grandparents or great-great-great-great-great grandparents. It won't be personal to them.
Hint: Fa'Lina wasn't in page 1896.

That said, multi-century courses are not uncommon.  Abel is slightly unusual in that he was staying there after he needed to, but that does happen with critically endangered clans, Mink for example, and Destania was hoping Dan would remain there for his own safety as well.
As for clan feuds, we definitely know there are active vendettas.  The students are restricted in how they can carry them out, for example in page 584, we see that Nact'larn clan and Hrienth are at loggerheads, and because they can't target Aary directly, they would happily murder her boyfriend just to annoy her (since the rules don't cover that).
Even in the real world, feuds are multi-generational, and result in things like the genocides in Yugoslavia when the thing forcing the rivals to get along disappears.