2018-05-14 [DMFA#1837] - Retrogaming

Started by Tapewolf, May 14, 2018, 04:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Interesting.  Clearly someone was building advanced electronics before Jycorp was a thing.  Though I am kind of curious whether the game crashes each time Mab walks past...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Drakkenmensch

I remember we had someone make a prediction that we'd see pre-transition Bridget during the flashback? This is where you get to make your victory dance!  :)

e_voyager

Got to love the Nostalgia overlap. They may dislike each other with a passion but while they were playing that game together they were friends.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

joshofspam

So that's Biggs before her change to a guy and when he had a crush on Dan? Seems rather like he was one to just sit back to enjoy the moment, while Wildy seems like the really active one of the party. Though if this is the Incident we're talking about, this seems like a rather short list to what was previously suggested was a blood bath. I can only guess Biggs as a female was counted as one of the dead.

But their still is one big question. For all this going on, it seems like Regina hasn't given any indication of motivation of going on a rampage here yet. The bakery comment. The game. It seems like everything is leading away from Regina going on a rampage here.

The only thing I can think of it has to deal with her interest with Dan. Didn't Jyras say that Biggs had an interest with Dan? Hmmm... could Biggs and Regina have gotten into a spat over Dan?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: joshofspam on May 14, 2018, 11:30:02 AM
But their still is one big question. For all this going on, it seems like Regina hasn't given any indication of motivation of going on a rampage here yet. The bakery comment. The game. It seems like everything is leading away from Regina going on a rampage here.

This is like, day 1.  She may have gone crazy a week or two later after everyone was used to her presence.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sofox

I gotta say, the idea of a co-op interactive narrative game sounds awesome. I mean, I can just see someone trying to aim for the serious sentimental ending, and then another player just constantly clowns around, throws the story into a different direction. Maybe you try to make deals with other players to make them decide one thing or another, and then if they don't do that, you can ignore them if they plead with you do make a decision a certain way. Feels like they'd be items and spells and monsters, but also a tonne of story and branching quests and decisions. Probably only a few hours long on first playthrough, but with huge replayability especially since you can only discover extra secrets and interactions if you play with friend. Maybe there's some ultra ending if you follow a precise set of actions in coordination, but fans feel that other endings are probably their favourite. Feels like you'd play the game for weeks and still occasionally find something you missed.  Even these days, I can't think of a single game like that (A Way Out I've heard of recently, but doesn't sound close to as amazing the one described in the strip).

I know I'm kinda excited over a game's description, but it just sounds really cool to me, and fun.

The One Guy

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 14, 2018, 04:43:52 AM
Interesting.  Clearly someone was building advanced electronics before Jycorp was a thing.  Though I am kind of curious whether the game crashes each time Mab walks past...

From page 1266:  "With the exception of a couple devices and patches, most of what I 'make' is alternate non-magical versions of items that exist already!"

Also, yeah, I think Macky-Mark sounds like a really cool game.

Akisohida

..You know, I never realized Bigg is trans. Nothing really jumps out at me, nor can I recall any hints any cast members have given.
Heck, even in that flashback, I just see Biggs with longer hair. That was 100% what I saw when I saw him on the couch. I thought 'Huh, Biggs used to have longer hair. I like it.'

I think this makes me an oblivious foxspider. (And I see my image link broke AGAIN. I wish I could just link FA images. I'm out of ideas to make it work.)

All that aside; someone make an RPG co-op game with different endings based on decisions made.
..I wonder if it could turn into PvP at the end if some people use the macguffin/side with the Big Evil and some people don't?
'Sadly, SwordCat (Dan) and DeathFerret (Wildy) had to slay the other two party members after the slaying of the Big Bad, when the lure of darkness became too much for them. SwordCat and DeathFerret saved us all.'
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

WhyNot?

Quote from: Akisohida on May 15, 2018, 01:12:37 AM
..You know, I never realized Bigg is trans. Nothing really jumps out at me, nor can I recall any hints any cast members have given.

It's nearly outright said here, though if you missed that page I'd say there aren't really any other hints unless you count Dan and Lex clearly having no idea who he is whilst he reminisces with Wildy about their childhood exploits.

Akisohida

Quote from: WhyNot? on May 15, 2018, 06:04:03 AM

It's nearly outright said here, though if you missed that page I'd say there aren't really any other hints unless you count Dan and Lex clearly having no idea who he is whilst he reminisces with Wildy about their childhood exploits.

Holy crap, I always just missed that line in the first one when rereading the comic. That goes to show how masterfully and tactfully Amber has handled it. :)
Amber-ism #700: If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.

Jigsaw Forte

All that aside; someone make an RPG co-op game with different endings based on decisions made.

Hm... 48 different endings? You could get to 32 (2^5) or 64 (2^6) pretty easily with just a few key binary splits.

"We slayed the Big Bad!"
"... but we didn't stop his Evil Plan..."
"... and the townspeople blamed us anyway..."
"... Although we did save the President!"
"... Too bad he's an asshole..."
"... And we did find that horde of gold!"

ENDING RESULT: Your team escapes to a Tropical Island where you quickly overthrow the already corrupt government and live out the rest of your days in infamy. The world's screwed, but it's a happy ending for you, at least!

llearch n'n'daCorna

You still need to record the VAs for all of those. Even with that sort of splitting, it's a lot of work to get it to break out like that.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Sofox

Guys, I just found out about how Divinity: Original Sin 2 actually is a multiplayer RPG where you can play cooperatively or play quests against eachother! https://www.divinity.game/ You can play splitscreen or online, and you can have competing quests, so you an choose whether you work together or not. Don't know about different endings though.

This is awesome! If anyone wants to try to playing together I'm happy to rustle a session up or something!