2018/04/30 [PF #525] - The need to breed

Started by Eboreg, April 30, 2018, 07:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eboreg

This.

Right here.

This is the main complaint I have against homosexuality, it stunts population growth, which means your group's ideologies have less pull in a world where good ideology can mean the difference between life and death.

Gay Robots on the other hand? Go right ahead! Knock yourself out!
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tapewolf

Many years ago I read a book, might have been 'Three to Conquer' where the federation or whatever it was had a polygamous system for marriages between different races. So if you married an alien, you would also typically have another partner who was human, so that you could breed.  Your wife(or whatever) would have a mate of their race as well so that they could breed.

Given their long lives, it's not hard to imagine Creatures coming up with similarly ornate arrangements.  This has already featured in the stories, in fact.  For example, Jason being born out of wedlock because his father wanted a Daryil clan child, which is a low probability when he's married a Taun warrior.  As mentioned in the Bounty Project, Fairwater and Admaria have a fairly open relationship and Fairwater in fact prefers other men.  And as long as he and Admaria have produced at least one heir, that doesn't present a problem.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lying Foo

Quote from: Eboreg on April 30, 2018, 07:34:23 PM
This is the main complaint I have against homosexuality, it stunts population growth, which means your group's ideologies have less pull in a world where good ideology can mean the difference between life and death.

That's... rather brazen.  Especially since the modern world has essentially the opposite problem.

I will say, though, that this is a factor I often feel is neglected in worldbuilding when cultures are introduced where the modern attitude toward homosexuality is combined with elements of a more traditional society, or the pressures that led to more traditional mores.  Even real-world cultures pointed to as lacking historical homophobia didn't tend to have our concept of same-sex love as analogous, but a separate institution.
Itsuwari, osore, kyoshoku, urei - samazama wa negative ni torawareru hodo yowaku wa nai, kodoku mo shiranu Trickster.

Gabi

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this.

Overpopulation is indeed a problem. And having children so that more people will agree with you? That is both selfish and stupid. First of all, your children will not necessarily share your views and ideology. And second, if you have a point to make, you should try to prove it through reason rather than try to brainwash children into repeating your ideas (which, if that's your logic, you may be repeating yourself) without questioning and trying to 'win' arguments through strength in numbers.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly