Demonology 101

Started by Brunhidden, September 22, 2006, 05:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Of Hearts

Balor was a Fomori? As in the guys that were driven out by the Tuatha De Danaan? The first time Ive heard of him is in Castlevania and i thought he was more of a scandinavian mythos instead of celtic.

Can you recommend me a good demon/monster?

Im thinking...

-something with phasing abilities, more mischievious than evil, Easten European origin.

or

-Gigantic, Earth themed, Malevolent, Middle East/Mediterranean based.

Manawolf

Guess D&D pumped it up even more than I thought.  You could put the soul in a diamond for **** sake.  Let's see someone break that even after they somehow managed to find it.  Even if you destroy the body, he'll just keep remanifesting till the phylactery is destroyed.  Then again, they went and made it so that you could imprison a lich after destroying the body, then putting the phylactery in a construct made out of old scrolls, potions and other magical item odds and ends.  It may be a prison of magical junk, but I think that just adds to the insult.  Plus, I'm not sure if that many people would willing to help an evil wizard to get back his power.

Don't even get me started on Demiliches.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Sure, diamonds are easy to destroy. Give me a box of matches and some kindling. Get a good fire going, and heave it in. *shrug*
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

nope, never been there. absolutely none of what ive said so far has come from the internet, just heaps and heaps of old books and studies.

QuoteThe poptarts are trying to kill me!
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Vidar

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on September 25, 2006, 06:57:18 AM
QuoteThe poptarts are trying to kill me!

Use the waffles, Brunhidden. Use the waffles!
\^.^/ \O.O/ \¬.¬/ \O.^/ \o.o/ \-.-/' \O.o/ \0.0/ \>.</

llearch n'n'daCorna

... not the waffle-iron? I mean, putting a poptart into a waffle iron would kill it, surely?

Manawolf

Since when do diamonds melt?

thegayhare

Quote from: Manawolf on September 25, 2006, 12:24:47 PM
Since when do diamonds melt?
they don't they burn
all they are is carbon

llearch n'n'daCorna

It *does* take some heat to get them going, but once they start, they basically keep themselves burning merrily, or so I'm told - to be honest, I'm not really rich enough to buy a diamond for burning. I'd like to be, though...

thegayhare

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 25, 2006, 05:24:03 PM
It *does* take some heat to get them going, but once they start, they basically keep themselves burning merrily, or so I'm told - to be honest, I'm not really rich enough to buy a diamond for burning. I'd like to be, though...
no all you need to do to test this is get your wifes engagment ring...

llearch n'n'daCorna

It has a ruby. She chose it, though.

*cough* As I said.... I'd like to be rich enough to afford a diamond....

thegayhare

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 25, 2006, 05:33:21 PM
It has a ruby. She chose it, though.

*cough* As I said.... I'd like to be rich enough to afford a diamond....
Rubies are cheeper then dimonds?

I didn't know that. but I'm not big on jewelry if I want something sparkly I'll get something sparkly doesn't matter if it's colored glass or a precois stone to me

llearch n'n'daCorna

second hand rubies, yes. Diamonds don't tend to have a second hand value at all, because nobody, but nobody, sells. :-/

Boog

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 25, 2006, 05:24:03 PM
A mental image you just provoked...
Next on MTV cribs, Snoop Dawg's special diamond-fueled fireplace, only one room away from his solid gold toilet and his $30,000,000,000 transforming car.

Um, yeah. Here's yer thread back Brun. By the way, nobody ever got around to my question about the original zombie mythology. :<