He Finally Shows His Face

Started by Splackaboy, February 05, 2018, 07:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splackaboy

And promptly runs into a wall. Seriously I can't get any of my avatar icons to work on this site >:v

Anyhoosie, thought I'd finally get around to making a profile. You can call me Kalvin, Kal, or Splacka. It's all fine to me. I've been a fan of DMFA since the 8th grade and I've just recently started catching up again after forgetting about it for several years (sorry Amber D8). I was hoping to join in the community, and I'm actually kinda curious about whether there was a discord server related to the goings on around here. Either way, I'll probably still lurk about and toss the occasional post out. DMFA is what inspired me to start exploring my own creativity, and it feels damn good to be getting back to those creative roots!

Dishonored

Welcome! Come on in, leave your sanity by the door, don't trust strange boxes (or boxed strangers!), and have a good time!
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Splackaboy on February 05, 2018, 07:43:10 PM
And promptly runs into a wall. Seriously I can't get any of my avatar icons to work on this site >:v

Recently the problem has less been the site, and more that image hosting sites won't let you use them to host avatars.

First, make sure it's not larger than 175x175.  Secondly, where are you hosting the image?  If it's photobucket or imgur it is not going to work.

It might be time for us to consider whether we can store them locally because this only seems to be getting worse.
Either way, welcome aboard!

QuoteI was hoping to join in the community, and I'm actually kinda curious about whether there was a discord server related to the goings on around here.

I'm not aware of an official DMFA discord server, though there is one that a bunch of DMFA fans use. 

QuoteEither way, I'll probably still lurk about and toss the occasional post out. DMFA is what inspired me to start exploring my own creativity, and it feels damn good to be getting back to those creative roots!
Absolutely.  It's had me creating things I would never otherwise have even considered.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Splackaboy

QuoteSecondly, where are you hosting the image?  If it's photobucket or imgur it is not going to work.
I was using tumblr. Blegh, well that's butts but I'll live.

QuoteI'm not aware of an official DMFA discord server, though there is one that a bunch of DMFA fans use. 
Sign me the heck up!

QuoteAbsolutely.  It's had me creating things I would never otherwise have even considered.

Heck yeah man, I feel! I'm already feeling the old inspiration I used to get from reading this furry junk!

Thank you for the warm welcome, I'll try not to be too scarce ;3

Darkmoon

I dunno about hosting locally. If they're using an image from a copyrighted source we could get in trouble for hosting it. It would be something we'd have to discuss among the admins, and even then I'm hesitant personally.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

ZacAttac21

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkmoon on February 05, 2018, 10:48:13 PM
I dunno about hosting locally. If they're using an image from a copyrighted source we could get in trouble for hosting it. It would be something we'd have to discuss among the admins, and even then I'm hesitant personally.

Yeah, there's -way- too much risk there, and too little reward. :-/ Which is largely why photobucket and friends have stopped being so useful...

Welcome, Splacka. Have a welcome kit, consisting of:
- a short pamphlet entitled "what to do when you're expecting"
- another short pamphlet entitled "what to do when you're not expecting"
- a half-written page entitled "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING? GET IT O-" and ends in a red smudge.
- a brief warning about boxes of gifts
- a long, bent thing, with a sort of lump at the end
- a cover for same
- one same for use with cover
- another long, bent thing, with a sort of lump at the end
- a 50 ton granite statue, folded up for shipping

Please try not to lose any of that, and enjoy your stay.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: Splackaboy on February 05, 2018, 08:30:26 PM
QuoteI'm not aware of an official DMFA discord server, though there is one that a bunch of DMFA fans use. 
Sign me the heck up!

It's a little cautious about adding new people, because the more people there are the greater the chance of having people who hate each other, and we don't really want that to happen.  In a way it's a bit more of a channel for a bunch of DMFA people who would otherwise only meet at Anthrocon to hang out together.  But I'll certainly ask!

Merlin

Splackaboy

Quote from: CubiKitsune on February 05, 2018, 11:09:41 PM
Is that a 'Cubi character I see? :U

Why yes it is! Ever since I started revisiting the comic I've been wondering what my fursona would be if he were in the comicverse. I had a ball cubi-fying him in second life.

https://imgur.com/a/2yJpT

This is his TH page https://toyhou.se/763730.splackjack

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 06, 2018, 12:00:35 AM
Welcome, Splacka. Have a welcome kit, consisting of:
- a short pamphlet entitled "what to do when you're expecting"
- another short pamphlet entitled "what to do when you're not expecting"
- a half-written page entitled "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING? GET IT O-" and ends in a red smudge.
- a brief warning about boxes of gifts
- a long, bent thing, with a sort of lump at the end
- a cover for same
- one same for use with cover
- another long, bent thing, with a sort of lump at the end
- a 50 ton granite statue, folded up for shipping

Please try not to lose any of that, and enjoy your stay.

Wait, I don't think I can hold all th-..*SPLAT*

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 06, 2018, 04:57:43 AM

It's a little cautious about adding new people, because the more people there are the greater the chance of having people who hate each other, and we don't really want that to happen.  In a way it's a bit more of a channel for a bunch of DMFA people who would otherwise only meet at Anthrocon to hang out together.  But I'll certainly ask!

Fair enough, it's all cool c:

Quote from: Merlin on February 06, 2018, 04:59:05 AM
I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS

Meet Splackjack, lord of the dance!

I could always write up a blurb for his DMFA AU shenanigans :'D

Tapewolf

Heh.  I'm too socially awkward to go on SL much, but I could not resist the allure of trying to create characters from my comic.  With a lot of help from Shax, who made the headwings.

http://projectfuturecomic.com/stuff/things/sl/jakob.png
http://projectfuturecomic.com/stuff/things/sl/daryil.png
http://projectfuturecomic.com/stuff/things/sl/sethir.png

Splackaboy

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 06, 2018, 02:12:46 PM
Heh.  I'm too socially awkward to go on SL much, but I could not resist the allure of trying to create characters from my comic.  With a lot of help from Shax, who made the headwings.

http://projectfuturecomic.com/stuff/things/sl/jakob.png
http://projectfuturecomic.com/stuff/things/sl/daryil.png
http://projectfuturecomic.com/stuff/things/sl/sethir.png

Yoo, I dig it!

And yeh I feel ya. I only just recently started coming out of my shell, myself. Also, can I get a link to your comic? Color me interested :3c

Tapewolf

Quote from: Splackaboy on February 06, 2018, 02:15:40 PM
And yeh I feel ya. I only just recently started coming out of my shell, myself. Also, can I get a link to your comic? Color me interested :3c

It started out as a DMFA fanfic, set 150 years later.  It'll turn 10 years old next month.   http://projectfuturecomic.com/
Project Future is the main story, Epsilon Project is actually the sequel but we're running them side-by-side.  Epsilon and the other related stories (running and finished) are the little thumbnails under the main comic.  I need to think about a site redesign sometime since it's not as obvious as I'd have liked.

ZacAttac21

Awesooome! What Clan is Splackjack in? :eager

Splackaboy

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 06, 2018, 02:42:36 PM
It started out as a DMFA fanfic, set 150 years later.  It'll turn 10 years old next month.   http://projectfuturecomic.com/
Project Future is the main story, Epsilon Project is actually the sequel but we're running them side-by-side.  Epsilon and the other related stories (running and finished) are the little thumbnails under the main comic.  I need to think about a site redesign sometime since it's not as obvious as I'd have liked.

Oh neat! I'll pop a bookmore on this and see give it a read whenever I have the time! Just from that first page though, I think it'll be an interesting read for sure. I dig the idea of it so far!

Quote from: CubiKitsune on February 06, 2018, 02:43:24 PM

Ya know, I have thought about it a little. I think he'd either be clan Taun (due to that good ol' hero complex of his) or from one of the clans whose leader bit the dust during the war.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Splackaboy on February 06, 2018, 03:16:04 PM
Quote from: CubiKitsune on February 06, 2018, 02:43:24 PM

Ya know, I have thought about it a little. I think he'd either be clan Taun (due to that good ol' hero complex of his) or from one of the clans whose leader bit the dust during the war.

Sweet! Is he an adventurer/mercenary/etc?

Splackaboy

Quote from: CubiKitsune on February 06, 2018, 07:46:07 PM

Sweet! Is he an adventurer/mercenary/etc?
[/quote]

Not quite. Splack is more like a vagabond who happens to stick his nose into other people's business for better or worse. Canon-wise, he's a bard who takes quests and jobs in order to give himself inspiration for his stories. If I were to write him into a DMFA fanfiction, I'd probably have him be that guy who "accidentally" stumbles into a quest.

Either way, he'd not really one for organization and being given orders. He'd rather march to the beat of his own drum.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Splackaboy on February 07, 2018, 12:52:25 AM
Not quite. Splack is more like a vagabond who happens to stick his nose into other people's business for better or worse. Canon-wise, he's a bard who takes quests and jobs in order to give himself inspiration for his stories. If I were to write him into a DMFA fanfiction, I'd probably have him be that guy who "accidentally" stumbles into a quest.

Either way, he'd not really one for organization and being given orders. He'd rather march to the beat of his own drum.

I like it, but I be Taun wouldn't approve.

When I first saw him, my first guess was Hrienth Clan. SJ (Do you mind if I call him SJ? I have a tendency to abbreviate names.) just has a style that reminds me of Hrienth himself. http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1434.php 8)

Splackaboy

Quote from: CubiKitsune on February 07, 2018, 02:21:52 PM
I like it, but I be Taun wouldn't approve.

When I first saw him, my first guess was Hrienth Clan. SJ (Do you mind if I call him SJ? I have a tendency to abbreviate names.) just has a style that reminds me of Hrienth himself. http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1434.php 8)

Hee, I'm sure if he was Taun's he'd be constantly in the timeout corner >w>

And ya know, Hrienth would make a lot more sense now that you mention it. That's something I'll have to consider!

Also psssh, you can call him whatever, he don't curr. Just don't call him Bojack, that's a bit of a sore spot for him.

Darkmoon

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 06, 2018, 04:57:43 AM
Quote from: Splackaboy on February 05, 2018, 08:30:26 PM
Sign me the heck up!

Thus why I don't go there. I hate everyone. ;)
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Splackaboy

I went with Hrienth after all. After brushing up a bit on the comic's archive, I feel like this might fit with some future fanfic plans >:3c

I'm too lazy to draw right now D'|

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Darkmoon on February 07, 2018, 11:00:57 PM
Thus why I don't go there. I hate everyone. ;)

We hate you right back. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

RepkinVR

that question is beyond my experience. I hope that someone else can help you with that. I have made the thread title slightly more specific to attract the right attention. Good luck.