2017-09-26 [DMFA # 1786] It would mean the world to me...

Started by katasev, September 26, 2017, 07:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katasev

Ouch! That's a heck of a boon-use Jyrras missed out on, and thank goodness Pip's interference means he won't have wasted it in vain. Or something to that effect. In a way, I'm almost glad he did and they had to use an alternate method rather than "Please bring him back!" "Okie dokie!" "Wait what really? What about Wildy's mom?" "Nope, one use only!" Or even worse, "You could do that the whole time and you didn't do anything back then??" Because Mab has, after all, been around and friends with the crew for a very long time.

So as much as it absolutely sucks for poor Abel to be hospitalized and in very real danger still, at least he didn't open that particularly icky can of worms with Jyrras, Mab, and all of that shenanigans. Not to mention the existential freakout sure to involve "But I thought I died! I was... I was dead!!" "Yeah but Mab fixed you!" "Wh-what?!" etc etc.

PhycoKrusk

Quote from: katasev on September 26, 2017, 07:41:39 AM
Ouch! That's a heck of a boon-use Jyrras missed out on, and thank goodness Pip's interference means he won't have wasted it in vain. Or something to that effect. In a way, I'm almost glad he did and they had to use an alternate method rather than "Please bring him back!" "Okie dokie!" "Wait what really? What about Wildy's mom?" "Nope, one use only!" Or even worse, "You could do that the whole time and you didn't do anything back then??" Because Mab has, after all, been around and friends with the crew for a very long time.
That's... an excellent point. Whatever Pip's plan is, we keep getting more and more evidence shown to us that it's complete bollocks.

Tapewolf

That's... disheartening.  It does confirm that Jyrras' boon was getting the bangle removed, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Madd the Sane

Wait, is Mab... Cooking?  :erk I thought anything she cooked would become eldritch abominations, like the brownies  :mowdizzy
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Howl

Still gonna maintain that Mab is more interested in playing her game than the actual well being of the people around her.

Titanium Dragon

So as much as it absolutely sucks for poor Abel to be hospitalized and in very real danger still, at least he didn't open that particularly icky can of worms with Jyrras, Mab, and all of that shenanigans. Not to mention the existential freakout sure to involve "But I thought I died! I was... I was dead!!" "Yeah but Mab fixed you!" "Wh-what?!" etc etc.

Yeah. I mean, Dan still has his boon (or so it is implied), and if he found out he could use it to raise the dead, I can't imagine that he wouldn't be inclined to do so, which would likely "waste" it from whatever he is "supposed" to use it for. Though of course, if Abel had actually died, Hizell wouldn't still be looking for him/scrying on him, and Destania would think he was dead (plus if Abel died and then came back to life, that might raise further questions)...

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Madd the Sane on September 26, 2017, 11:46:01 AM
Wait, is Mab... Cooking?  :erk I thought anything she cooked would become eldritch abominations, like the brownies  :mowdizzy
I think it's the "Mab + technology" that causes problems, not her cooking. Her job at JyCorp is based on exploding stuff with magic.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

The One Guy

So that's interesting, I Went back to the sequence where Jyrras used his boon and noticed something: When Mab tells Albanion, he immediately responds with "You should have done the same as Pip."  Well, given Pip's competence at getting things done and Mab's multiple failures including that one, it seems pretty clear where he's coming from with that statement.

Tuyu

The problem with trying to do things Pip's way is that it requires omniscience to get right.  You aren't going to stop a dragon with a flower without it.

The One Guy

Quote from: Tuyu on September 26, 2017, 11:18:53 PM
The problem with trying to do things Pip's way is that it requires omniscience to get right.  You aren't going to stop a dragon with a flower without it.

That's just the thing, though, her limitation on her omniscience seems to be a self-imposed thing.  If she were to limit her omnipotence rather than her omniscience, she'd be doing things Pip's way.

Howl

Quote from: The One Guy on September 27, 2017, 01:05:12 AM
Quote from: Tuyu on September 26, 2017, 11:18:53 PM

That's just the thing, though, her limitation on her omniscience seems to be a self-imposed thing.  If she were to limit her omnipotence rather than her omniscience, she'd be doing things Pip's way.

Hence, any care for the people around her is made up. She's more interested in playing her game than she is actually protecting anyone.

keybounce

Which gets back to the question: Is it better to be all knowing, and weak; or all powerful, and ignorant?

Willakers94

More than 750 strips later, we understand what "It would mean the world to me" means!

Alondro

Quote from: Titanium Dragon on September 26, 2017, 05:55:13 PM

Yeah. I mean, Dan still has his boon (or so it is implied), and if he found out he could use it to raise the dead, I can't imagine that he wouldn't be inclined to do so, which would likely "waste" it from whatever he is "supposed" to use it for. Though of course, if Abel had actually died, Hizell wouldn't still be looking for him/scrying on him, and Destania would think he was dead (plus if Abel died and then came back to life, that might raise further questions)...

Dan should use his boon to raise one of Fa'lina's children from the dead. 

That would REALLY piss off Hizell.   I like things that piss off Hizell.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

keybounce

Quote from: Alondro on September 28, 2017, 04:24:19 PM

Consider that there's a very good chance that his boon will have him decide on one dead friend to bring back ...

Shakal

Quote from: Alondro on September 28, 2017, 04:24:19 PM
Quote from: Titanium Dragon on September 26, 2017, 05:55:13 PM

My hope/vote is still to use the boon to move Abel into Fa'lina's clan. She gets to live, he gets a clan, Aniz's work is completely ruined.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Shakal on September 29, 2017, 10:34:23 AM
My hope/vote is still to use the boon to move Abel into Fa'lina's clan. She gets to live, he gets a clan, Aniz's work is completely ruined.

I really don't think that would work.  For one, would Dan spend his boon - single a wish of practically unlimited scope - on someone he's known for a couple of months and isn't sure if he even trusts them?

Also, it seems to me that Fa'Lina isn't going to die because she's lost all her clan members - AFAIK that brings madness, but doesn't directly kill the leader.  I think they usually commit suicide.
If I'm reading this right, what's going to kill Fa'Lina is a side-effect of temporarily making the Academy invulnerable.  Given what we've been told about spellcasting in DMFA, it seems entirely possible that the dimensional realm containing the Academy is consuming her life-force as a power source, and that the reason it's going to stop working is because she's been entirely consumed.  (See p.1715)

Assuming that's a correct assessment, the boon would give Abel a clan-leader for maybe a year until Fa'Lina implodes at which point he is driven insane just like his father was...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

maus_merryjest

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 29, 2017, 11:00:51 AM
Quote from: Shakal on September 29, 2017, 10:34:23 AM

I really don't think that would work.  For one, would Dan spend his boon - single a wish of practically unlimited scope - on someone he's known for a couple of months and isn't sure if he even trusts them?

Well, the fact that he basically gave up his chance to deal Hizell the first blow (and put his life in mortal danger) in order to save two of Dan's closest friends might go miles towards establishing some good faith, maybe?