2017-08-18 [DMFA #1777] - Technicalities

Started by Famout, August 18, 2017, 06:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famout

And Mab is a good Fae, this is very disturbing indeed.

Also thinking about it from the Taur's psychic sisters point of view as well (assuming they connect in "real time") Here she goes, into a suspected final attack, and suddenly nothing! No feeling of death, no last moment panic/fear, not even static. She wasn't killed, something worse happened, and none of them know for certain what.

Of course this could also have a possibly even worse effect and they simply think her link to the collective has been severed somehow.
It feels odd not having a fuzzy avatar picture around here....

Somebodyelse

Yeah, that's not just killing, removing someone's existence is like hyper-killing or super-death.

That's the kind of thing jerk bosses use so you can't even phoenix down someone back and have to deal with only having limited party members.

Seriously mab, don't be a jerk. You probably don't even have the loot drops to validate that kind of behavior.

Tapewolf

Sometimes it feels like I'm in some horrible dare game with Amber.

"I show how nasty Furrae is by beheading an incubus and nearly doing the same to Alexsi!"
"I do a series about the dark side of adventuring, guillotine Jakob's grandfather and nearly do the same to Jakob!"
"Ha!  I rip out Abel's eyes!"
"My adventurers brutally murder seven bandits in a car-park!"
"I show a character having their soul destroyed in the main comic!"

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Dard

Besides, technically Mab is not even correct.
They still know that the mythos once existed, so she was not removed entirely.
(so do we, for that matter)

Brushtail

Quote from: Dard on August 18, 2017, 07:31:08 AM

We know the Mythos existed because we are outside the time line, Pyroduck knows, but do the other Mythos know they ever had a sister? Does Hizell remember sending her? Mab is an all powerful far, we have no idea how retroactive this destruction is. If none of her allies remember she existed, they won't mourn her, and Hizell  may need to come up with a new plan.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brushtail on August 18, 2017, 08:32:04 AM
We know the Mythos existed because we are outside the time line, Pyroduck knows, but do the other Mythos know they ever had a sister? Does Hizell remember sending her? Mab is an all powerful far, we have no idea how retroactive this destruction is. If none of her allies remember she existed, they won't mourn her, and Hizell  may need to come up with a new plan.

If Hizell doesn't remember her existence, he'd send the next sister in the belief that she was the first, and so on until Mab has erased them all.

Jasonrevall

Quote from: Somebodyelse on August 18, 2017, 07:20:53 AM
Yeah, that's not just killing, removing someone's existence is like hyper-killing or super-death.

That's the kind of thing jerk bosses use so you can't even phoenix down someone back and have to deal with only having limited party members.

Seriously mab, don't be a jerk. You probably don't even have the loot drops to validate that kind of behavior.
I hear she drops a wicked legendary polearm as well as the recipe to some death cookies although I'm a muffin guy myself.

Here we get to see more of the Fae mindset. Even the most kind hearted Fae have a hard time understanding the effects of their behavior as they rarely ever have to deal with the repercussions themselves or even when they do in the same way mortals have to. To Mab this was just the most efficient way to deal with this particular inconvenience.

Also this act may be limited to the Inn for the time being. I think the Inn being connected to Mab's home that is also connected to the Fae Kingdom has some bizzare magical effects that we don't know about yet. Maybe Mab can reverse what she did while its isolated to the Inn and it hasn't actually changed the rest of that reality yet.
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Dard

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 18, 2017, 08:34:55 AM
Quote from: Brushtail on August 18, 2017, 08:32:04 AM

If Hizell doesn't remember her existence, he'd send the next sister in the belief that she was the first, and so on until Mab has erased them all.
So basically what he was going to do anyway.

PhycoKrusk

Removed from existence in what way, or phrased differently, removed from which existence.

Fae are high dimensional beings, and we know they exist in more than one reality at any one time. In this case, "removed from existence entirely" is not necessarily synonymous with "killed:" It's entirely possible that Man just moved her to a different dimension for a time-out.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dard on August 18, 2017, 10:11:58 AM
So basically what he was going to do anyway.

But much more rapidly, since the 1-month delay wouldn't be in place.  Of course, it's likely that Pyroduck would freak and try to get Mab to at least leave them dead, rather than completely unmade.

Quote from: PhycoKrusk on August 18, 2017, 10:18:20 AM
Removed from existence in what way, or phrased differently, removed from which existence.
Fae are high dimensional beings, and we know they exist in more than one reality at any one time. In this case, "removed from existence entirely" is not necessarily synonymous with "killed:" It's entirely possible that Man just moved her to a different dimension for a time-out.

That gets complex because there are in all likelihood various forks of the Furrae world throughout the multiverse, it being infinite and all - see Fa'Lina's page about seeing multiple possible futures.  My guess would be that this instance of the minion has been utterly destroyed - in other world-tracks she might still exist.  But I doubt this instance has been moved to a different world-track.

The One Guy

Quote from: Dard on August 18, 2017, 07:31:08 AM
"Removed from existence" is not the same thing as "removed from having ever existed."  She didn't erase her past existence, only her present (and presumably future) existence.

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 18, 2017, 07:28:54 AM

"I show how nasty Furrae is by beheading an incubus and nearly doing the same to Alexsi!"
"I do a series about the dark side of adventuring, guillotine Jakob's grandfather and nearly do the same to Jakob!"
I would like to join this competition plz
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Kuzma Volkov

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 18, 2017, 07:28:54 AM

Are you both watching Game of Thrones maybe and it's just spilling over? xD

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 18, 2017, 11:00:50 AM
That gets complex because there are in all likelihood various forks of the Furrae world throughout the multiverse, it being infinite and all - see Fa'Lina's page about seeing multiple possible futures.  My guess would be that this instance of the minion has been utterly destroyed - in other world-tracks she might still exist.  But I doubt this instance has been moved to a different world-track.

That's some Steins;Gate stuff right there.

Though since mab has her weapon, does that mean records of her still remain I wonder?

SteelWings

"Hello my friends, my name is Fred. The words you read are in my head. I say I said my name is Fred, and I've been very Naaaauuughhty"

Cassi-kun

Quote from: Kuzma Volkov on August 18, 2017, 08:10:32 PM
Though since mab has her weapon, does that mean records of her still remain I wonder?
Yeah, she was erased from existence, not history/memory.
Got a deviantArt account? Go join DMFAclub!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kuzma Volkov on August 18, 2017, 08:10:32 PM
Are you both watching Game of Thrones maybe and it's just spilling over? xD

I'm not.  However, I was reading it heavily AND playing Skyrim while 'Heads you lose' was written.  I was also going through a terrible period at work while the last few chapters were drawn so there was a bit of Creator Breakdown going on there as well.

That's some Steins;Gate stuff right there.

I was thinking more Anathem and had to struggle not to use words like 'narrative' or 'polycosm'.

Naldru

If Mab erased her from existence, can she also pencil her back in?
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

rwstyles

Maybe this is how the "The Destania incident" works.  It's just that FAE can cast this spell out of hand, while Destania needs extensive preparation.

Will we ever see that in this strip?  It seems to be imminent.

Tuyu

Could be worse.

Mab could've turned her into a plate of chocolate chip cookies.

Taur-shaped chocolate chip cookies.

Caswin

Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Rafe

Quote from: Tuyu on August 19, 2017, 02:42:29 PM
Could be worse.

Mab could've turned her into a plate of chocolate chip cookies.

Taur-shaped chocolate chip cookies.

Oh, jeeze...

You just reminded me of one of the darkest, most horrifying images Chuck Jones ever put into a Warner Brothers cartoon:

(If you've never seen it before, it's from this:  https://www.wimp.com/funny-kitty-cartoon/)
Rafe

e_voyager

The sad thing is I logged in to make a Futurama bureaucratic joke saying that "Pryoduck is technically correct the best kind of correct. " but looking at all these different post especially the questioning mabs actions of erasing her from existence how bad it was and whether or not I could be undone everything else I can't help but Wonder just how much worse are they doing something like that is this a cubi consuming the soul of their victim.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

keybounce

Quote from: Rafe on August 19, 2017, 09:35:25 PM
You just reminded me of one of the darkest, most horrifying images Chuck Jones ever put into a Warner Brothers cartoon:

(If you've never seen it before, it's from this:  https://www.wimp.com/funny-kitty-cartoon/)

I actually remember that cartoon from television growing up.

I don't think they put that one on children's TV anymore

Hariman

Quote from: keybounce on August 21, 2017, 01:38:27 PM
Quote from: Rafe on August 19, 2017, 09:35:25 PM

I actually remember that cartoon from television growing up.

I don't think they put that one on children's TV anymore

Looney Tunes doesn't get put on kid's tv much anymore, for various reasons.

I remember that cartoon, and it was hilarious when I was a kid. :)
Am I the only person who thinks that Mr. Roboto rusts out and eventually becomes the Ironman?

No not that Ironman, the other one!

e_voyager

the poor doggy thought his kitty friend was baked into a cookie
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey