Photobucket...

Started by ZacAttac21, July 15, 2017, 01:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZacAttac21

Okay, so apparently photobucket no longer allows you to embed your images onto "3rd party" websites (not without paying for it, anyway). Anybody know of an alternative? I can't even use my avatar now. :C

EDIT: Okay, apparently I can use FA for my avatar. Still, if any of you are using photobucket images, you're screwed...

Merlin

Nah, FA won't work for your avatar, if it's appearing for you it'll be doing so because it's cached. I can't see it.

I use imgur if I gotta post an image (aside from using my own hosting)

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Merlin on July 15, 2017, 02:09:08 AM
Nah, FA won't work for your avatar, if it's appearing for you it'll be doing so because it's cached. I can't see it.

I use imgur if I gotta post an image (aside from using my own hosting)

Well, fudge. Okay, I made an imgur. Can you see it now?

Also, exactly what are the maximum dimensions an avatar here can be, anyway?

EDIT: 175 x 175, for whom it may concern.

Merlin

Yep, I can see it now! Not sure on max dimensions though, sorry

Aisha deCabre

I've seen this happening, and I figure I've finally about had enough of Photobucket. -.- It's changed quite a bit too much, anyway.  I've tried out Imgur and found it a good place to be for now.

I've changed my images over; and while I decide how to make a new avatar of my own, I'm gonna show off some other talented artwork for a bit. :3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Merlin

This thread is giving me a massive ego >:3

Tuyu

Something I want to comment on, for those switching over to Imgur:

The Imgur TOS says, "Don't use Imgur to host image libraries to link to from elsewhere."

According to discussions in the Imgur forums, this includes avatars, but does not include images hotlinked in posts.

The specific interpretation is that you can't host images on Imgur that are used elsewhere as website content (which includes user avatars).

So don't plan on Imgur being the place to move your avatar and sig images to...if enough people jump to them from Photobucket, it becomes more likely they'll enforce more strictly.

Dishonored

I've had no problems with Postimage.org. I used it for a couple of years to host images for my Star Wars game, had no issues.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

Darkmoon

Your best move is just to buy some cheap hosting somewhere and put your images there.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

The One Guy

Whoops, I was not aware of that imgur restriction.  I'll still likely use it for most images, but I just switched my to using cubeupload for my avatar.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: Tuyu on July 20, 2017, 01:16:33 AM
Something I want to comment on, for those switching over to Imgur:

The Imgur TOS says, "Don't use Imgur to host image libraries to link to from elsewhere."

According to discussions in the Imgur forums, this includes avatars, but does not include images hotlinked in posts.

The specific interpretation is that you can't host images on Imgur that are used elsewhere as website content (which includes user avatars).

So don't plan on Imgur being the place to move your avatar and sig images to...if enough people jump to them from Photobucket, it becomes more likely they'll enforce more strictly.

*facepalm* WHY!?

Screw it, I'll just ride imgur for as long as I can, then. I'm only using it for this one avatar. :T

Merlin

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Merlin on July 21, 2017, 03:37:20 AM
Allllright then, hosted links all round~

http://oekaki.dhscomix.com/avvie_CK.png
http://oekaki.dhscomix.com/avvie_aisha.jpg

Ooh!  Thanks Merlin, that's awesome of you! :3

And meh, I'll still use Imgur if Photobucket dies, for sharing art or whatever; this is, like, the only forum I'm terribly active in (or visit every day), anyway. x3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.