Etherium (Forum RPG as of Page 3, Call For Interest, OOC Thread)

Started by Aisha deCabre, June 08, 2017, 03:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aisha deCabre

That's right, guys; I'm a-lookin' to DM a tabletop game with a world of my creation.  :3 Some of you may have seen an information post in the Dodeca System subforum, but as I've gathered only a bit of interest and no return bites when I made an official call for interest, I followed Darkmoon's suggestion and decided to post here, too.

Plus, yeah, this place has died down a bit too much anyway. >.>

So then, the information.

The setting: A modern fantasy/tiny bit solarpunk Earth AU.  It's basically Earth, but if magic and several other kinds of sapient races existed alongside humans (I've made a list of seven of the most common playable races here, along with their specific notes and a few pictures.  I'll probably add more pictures and switch up whatever information needs switching up later).  Many of the locations are the same, many aren't, many others are gone altogether, and there's a whole 'nother small continent floating in the Pacific; 'cause if I'm changing the dynamics of Earth, it's ALL gonna have a domino effect. x3 But the main setting is the large, integrated city of Etherium, resting at roundabout the center of what we call the U.S.

I even made sure that the world can be played with all of the essentials of playing with the book intact; the races were modified from existing ones, everything that can be bought is still there, etc., with a few items that'll be added for a modern AU world that make sense (for example, along with the Riding skill for animals, you might have Driving, cars and planes and stuff x3).  The level of technology is similar to ours in ways (yep, even the magic creature kids are preoccupied with smartphones), more advanced in other ways (like the very existence of the sentient Automatons), while still holding a medieval charm in some other ways (guns, for example, are limited to very few kinds of people, like the police in Etherium; because magic combat can tend to be more effective, after all.  People thus still hunt with bows and spar with swords, etc)...think of a DMFA-type world and you won't be far off the mark.  There's still probably some world-building to perfect, but I'm writing little stories with this world too, and that along with playing games will help it open up more to me in my head, I believe.

Much like D&D tends to have, I'm thinking of adding some optional races that can be played, for the furries here who don't want to play humanoids or dragonoids or androids. x3 There's cat-folk, gryphons, gnolls, and halflings ('cause halflings need more love x3), to name a few off my head; again though, there'll be a bit of discretion on that part, as those races are not at all common.  But really, I just also want to keep the flexibility of character-building open to people as it is in the rules.  The classes haven't changed, or the attributes and skills, the magic system, etc...that's all intact.  All that's really changed is the dynamic of some of the races (and I wouldn't mind having feedback on whether they're all fairly balanced...some were easier than others to do, and I don't want to make just one uber-race that everyone'll pick or one terrible race that nobody will...again, this'll be my first game, I'm happy to have opinions tossed my way x3).

I even have a small first adventure planned out, a little one-shot, so that I can test out my readiness to be a DM and the dynamics of a group of characters, so that I may plan a larger story around them later if I so choose. x3 All that's needed is a where and a when (perhaps even a how) to play...heck, I'll settle for waiting until Anthrocon again if we can't get an online game going XD.  Given how silly people can get, I know I'll be tested well on my GMing, so I hope the testing is within reason. XD  I'll also fill out and scan some character sheets for interested parties to have a go at filling out.

I've found a tentative dice-room site, Rolz, which ought to be easy to use, so all that we'd need is the sheets to play with. :3  I want between 4 and 6 players (I'd like it if you happened to be familiar with the Dodeca System; I'll be using Character Sheet version 1.0 since I don't have the new books yet xP), and we need to agree on a time to get together to character-create and start this one-shot.

So yeah, I think that's about the size of it...so, any prospective puppets players out there?  >:3

EDIT: As of today, the game has turned from tabletop to forum, no character sheets needed, just basic info!
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Merlin

I'm interested in playing, but I have literally never RP'd before so I'd need some help probably  :)

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Merlin on June 08, 2017, 05:35:08 AM
I'm interested in playing, but I have literally never RP'd before so I'd need some help probably  :)

Heh, that's quite alright :) Dodeca system's fairly easy to learn (quite a bit more so than D&D), in fact if I recall playing at AC, we only needed to be sure how to fill the sheets out and what the different terms and stats meant, no reading of the book required, only took maybe 5-10 minutes. x3  A 12-sided die is the only other real requirement, and we learned how to roll for stats as we played.  If I can get a few players who've used it before, that's all the more help for beginners...especially since it might take longer to walk newbies through an online version. >.>

I think I'll bring my books to AC to get you acquainted with it, if I can't put together a game here by the end of the month. x3

Or, as the system is Darkmoon's creation and I've only built a castle in the sandbox, asking him too might be good. x3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Tapewolf

I do have a copy of 'There's a game in this book', but I'd still need a lot of hand-holding as I don't do this kind of game very much at all.  It looks interesting, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Darkmoon

If i might suggest, there's a quick character packet on the Dodeca System Games website. it'll help those that have played the game at all work their way through character creation again. Of course, it's written for the 1.5 edition (which is how I can then say "hey, while you're at it, check out 1.5"), but you might be able to quickly rig up a 1.0 version based on the notes.

http://www.dodecasystem.com/?page=theres_a_game_15
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Qwex1

I'm interested but have never tried the system but have tried some other ones and learns fast.
hsrthgelfszz*lo ttsvqxzm*hndfjerlnbcre!

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Qwex1 on June 10, 2017, 04:19:17 PM
I'm interested but have never tried the system but have tried some other ones and learns fast.

That's just fine. =) I suppose the first session will have to be about character-making, since online tabletop games are harder to put together, worse if nobody wants/has Skype for voice chat; and thanks to Darkmoon for the quick character-building info, I think I can grab my own book and guide peeps through it. x3

Alright, so we have Merlin, Qwex, and I'll count Sprocket since she showed interest in the previous thread, that is unless she has objections. x3  Anybody else?

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 09, 2017, 01:34:22 PM
I do have a copy of 'There's a game in this book', but I'd still need a lot of hand-holding as I don't do this kind of game very much at all.  It looks interesting, though.

Heh, come to think of it, last time we had a game I can't remember if you played or spectated. xP  I wasn't sure whether to count you in on this one or not.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Darkmoon

He played the first day, but had to bail to go be a fursuiter with the other fursuiters at some fursuiter thing.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on June 12, 2017, 03:10:49 PM
Heh, come to think of it, last time we had a game I can't remember if you played or spectated. xP  I wasn't sure whether to count you in on this one or not.

Darkmoon may have it backwards.  I think I joined partway through.  I certainly remember being in the game at the end of the campaign, but I think I spectated at the start.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Darkmoon

I just know there were fursuiters getting in the way of my game. Because when you go to a furry con the most important thing to do is ignore the furries and play an awesome RPG. ;)

Qwex1

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Qwex1 on June 26, 2017, 06:58:50 AM
Will this still happen?

Nice timing, I was about to make an announcement. xP

Alright, so, I still haven't gotten any more than two people interested in playing yet...I'd messaged Sprocket about playing, haven't heard from her, either. x3  I wanted four at least to start a game.

I'm headed to Anthrocon in a couple days, so this topic will stay up for anyone interested; and when I get back, I'll make do with however many there are still here, and set up a day to do things online.  I don't mind having to make an NPC character or two to play as well.

So, that said, I'm sorry about my inactivity, mostly it's due to things not working out as well as I'd planned...such is life. XD But this game WILL go on, just after the con.

Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Sprocketsdance

Sorry about MY inactivity! T_T geh! I'm in, promise! I just have to like, actually come on the forum >.>  :B

Darkmoon

I likely won't play, but I will be reading it. I'm curious how this turns out.

Aisha deCabre

Alrighty then peeps, I'm back, and hopefully everyone's still interested. =) We have Sprocket, Merlin, and Qwex, I think I'll make you guys a party. x3

So, like I said, we'll be using this character sheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7ep5vq19amdgoq/game_character_sheet_10_print.pdf?dl=0  I think the PDF might be edit-able (although for some reason I can't edit any PDFs that are...), but if it isn't, just go ahead and print it out.  This is the first edition one, it's easy to fill out once we go over instructions. =)  There are two pages, remember.

Now for a time to meet.  I'm good for any morning of the week up until 2 PM EST (my off-days from work are Sunday and Monday, so afternoons then are good), any late nights on Friday or Saturday after 12:30 AM (at the latest, but my work times can be stupid sometimes), or REALLY late nights anytime of the week after 2 AM until 4 AM.  Yes, I tend to be a night owl. XD

Once we agree on times, I'll give out the Rolz room password to everybody. =) Spectators are welcome too (It'll be good to have you reading, Darkmoon!), just remember to be nice and not influence the players too much.  They're the ones playing, they have to figure things out; but since two of us are newbies, help filling out the sheet is appreciated. x3 That's the first thing we'll do when we meet, and since this is Etherium, remember that the link to the race info is up in the first post and links to the quick character creation sheets should still be up in Darkmoon's post.

With that, everyone still here? =)

Another note, I'm on Skype, but I'm also about to sign up on Discord, so those are two places I can be reached if needed, although I always check the forum when I pull up the internet (it's my homepage XD), so it's also quick to send PMs. :3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Qwex1

2 PM EST (19:00 UTC) would be preferred on my part but the others you suggested also work fine.

Sprocketsdance

I'm not available weekdays from 8am-6pm... soooooooooooooooooo there's that. 

I am available on the weekends (just not every-other Friday night since we have an in-house game at that time), and a start time of 12am would be way too late for my piddly old person sleep needs. :B

So, long story short, Sundays would work best for me.

I'm on Skype and Discord, though, I barely know how to use Discord. XD

Merlin

Might be very, very hard to work around my ridiculous timezone...

Darkmoon

Sprocketsdance

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Qwex1 on July 05, 2017, 05:07:07 PM
2 PM EST (19:00 UTC) would be preferred on my part but the others you suggested also work fine.

Sounds alright. =) Is that any particular day of the week, or any day of the week?  If it's the latter...

Quote from: Sprocketsdance on July 05, 2017, 06:56:35 PM
I'm not available weekdays from 8am-6pm... soooooooooooooooooo there's that. 

I am available on the weekends (just not every-other Friday night since we have an in-house game at that time), and a start time of 12am would be way too late for my piddly old person sleep needs. :B

So, long story short, Sundays would work best for me.

I'm on Skype and Discord, though, I barely know how to use Discord. XD

Sundays sound like they'd be pretty good it seems, then!  Mornings or afternoons, EST, work best for me.  Saturday late nights are a possibility too, if...

Quote from: Merlin on July 05, 2017, 08:34:36 PM
Might be very, very hard to work around my ridiculous timezone...

Yeah, I figure... ^^; Hopefully we can work around something, I know you're quite the busy bee already...
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Qwex1

I'm currently on summer holiday so I'm pretty free exept when we are on trips.

Aisha deCabre

Alrighty then, if I have no more comments, looks like we have a tentative time to meet. =) This Sunday at noon, EST (factoring in everyone's timezones)?  I know Sunday is good, but the time can be tweaked.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Aisha deCabre

Okay, if my players have their sheets to fill and are able to meet in about a half-hour (12 PM EST, I'll be waiting until 2), please do so here, and in the spaces type in your nickname, and the room name is Etherium.  As of yet there's no room password, so no need to worry about that.

I think we'll just spend this session coming up with our characters, as the starter dungeon I'm putting you guys through will have some race-specific elements, plus I'd like to get copies of your completed sheets somehow if at all possible; even just a snapshot of it if you don't have a scanner. x3 It'll be nice to get used to how Rolz works too, and see if it's a good place to play.

And if there's any objections, please tell me.  I wanna work with peeps...and only against you when we play.  >:3

Also, Darkmoon, the quick character creation sheet on your site isn't working, it's just sending me to a 404. :/
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Sprocketsdance

I'm very sorry for missing this >_< we've been busy since Thursday (for a convention) so I haven't checked in since then :B of course, missing all of the important messages.

I'll let Darkmoon know about the 404!

Darkmoon

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Sprocketsdance on July 09, 2017, 07:44:02 PM
I'm very sorry for missing this >_< we've been busy since Thursday (for a convention) so I haven't checked in since then :B of course, missing all of the important messages.

I'll let Darkmoon know about the 404!

No worries! ^.^ I figured you might be busy; I already went through Qwex's character sheet one-on-one, and now that I have the quick-character creation packet again, all he has to do is figure out which equipment he wants. x3  Shall we all try to meet next Sunday so we can build yours alongside?  Hopefully I can find a time for Merlin to do hers, too...

Quote from: Darkmoon on July 09, 2017, 07:46:26 PM
Fixed

You sir are awesome. XD Thanks much!
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Merlin

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on July 10, 2017, 02:08:00 AM
No worries! ^.^ I figured you might be busy; I already went through Qwex's character sheet one-on-one, and now that I have the quick-character creation packet again, all he has to do is figure out which equipment he wants. x3  Shall we all try to meet next Sunday so we can build yours alongside?  Hopefully I can find a time for Merlin to do hers, too...

I think you'll have to skip me. All the good hours on Sunday are Monday my time - for instance, 12PM EST on a Sunday is 2AM Monday AEST. Sunday nights my time are also my busiest comic drawing times. Sorry about that!

Techcubi

So, you're not accepting any more new players as of this moment?

Also, who is Dodeca published by, exactly?

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Merlin on July 10, 2017, 04:41:17 AM
Quote from: Aisha deCabre on July 10, 2017, 02:08:00 AM

I think you'll have to skip me. All the good hours on Sunday are Monday my time - for instance, 12PM EST on a Sunday is 2AM Monday AEST. Sunday nights my time are also my busiest comic drawing times. Sorry about that!

Aw :< That's alright, no worries!  Maybe we'll get to play at some point! =)

Quote from: Techcubi on July 10, 2017, 09:44:21 AM
So, you're not accepting any more new players as of this moment?

Also, who is Dodeca published by, exactly?

Actually, your post is quite timely, a new player slot just opened up. x3  Again, I would've liked four players at least, but it seems Da Universe just wants me to have three.  If you want to play, I can get you a link to a fillable PDF of the character sheet I'm using, and if possible time-wise you can meet us on Sunday, Noon EST (or 1, since it's Daylight Savings Time and that's when Qwex showed up when the world clock said it was 12. x3)

Also, IIRC, Dodeca was both made and published by Darkmoon, according to his site the company is Cobalt Pulsar.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.