Webpage, Ho!

Started by SkeletalSpade, May 03, 2017, 01:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkeletalSpade

Sos in leu of getting back into the art and development-scene, I figure the best way to start is via Website! :B

I'm gonna be offering stuff-and-things to sell like t-shirts and whatall, but more importantly, it's gonna be a mass-collection of all my developing webcomics 'n characters 'n adoptables 'n snadbox forum 'n stuff!

Before I Completely fill it up with creative works and interactivity stuff, I'd really like some critique and feed-back for the site while  still in development.. I'd like to see this thing from all sides, not just my own! 0:

Sos if you have a moment or feel curious, feel free to give it a peruse-  tell me what you think so far! Whats good, whats bad, whats a-ok, and whats atrocious-  feel free to toss out suggestions! 0: 
(It may not load on mobile devices, but if it does I'd like feedback on that too!)

http://www.blackgreynwhite.wixsite.com/themissingletters

thoughts?  expressions? various ideas and favorable input?? 0:

Dishonored

I like it, but the banners and such on the left-hand margin are halfway off the page. You might want to scoot everything right about an inch. (And I'm on a desktop, so it's not a mobile issue.)

Other than that, it looks okay to me.
"Death before Dishonor" they always said. It's because death is far less painful than eternal dishonor.

SkeletalSpade

Excellent, thankyou for telling me! 0: 

I'll probably fiddle with the banners as a whole;  the style is ok, but..Only ok.  >> << Really gotta stretch and get some more razzle 'n dazzle going on, lemme tell you

Tapewolf

How much of it is live?  I ask because the buttons down the left don't work, also there is a black rectangle above 'updates' which appears to have three states to move between but they are all black.
Likewise, the menu link to the comics provides a couple of buttons which do nothing.  Is that intentional?
If you click on anything in the 'members' menu it requests a login, but that's all you'll ever seen again... the back button, although apparently navigating back to the main site, continues to display the login page until you close the tab.

This on Firefox 53.0 and Chromium 58.0.3029.81

Assuming those are known breakage and you're just soliciting feedback on the layout itself rather than the functionality, it looks good to me.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

SkeletalSpade

Not much of it is live, I'm mostly looking for feedback on the layout itself before I start linking/filling up pages with artwork. No doubt I'll be fishing for more ideas and critique as more of the design is fleshed out;  so yes, the non-linking-links are all as they should be xB

I'm working away at it everyday, so while its 'live', its most certainly not done :U  not even close.  not even.

Im glad to hear that you like the layout!  No hear-say on any detrimental changes or personal preferences but thats ok too xB

Darkmoon

Okay, then. For starters the website is way too wide for a fixed layout. If you want it to be "good" at wider layouts you either need it to be a liquid design so it stretches and flows or you should consider a thinner fixed layout. Seems like your design is made for a minimum 1300px viewing depth but the average person usually has about 1000px viewing space available... and that doesn't even take into account mobile layouts.

I have my concerns about the amount of javascript you're using on your site. Rotating banners are one thing (since you can imbed a single static image as a background-image in the CSS), but your menu seems to be using it as well. You can get the same effects with simple .hover commands in the CSS and not even need to bother with the javascript at all. The more JS you use the more likely someone is to come on with addons that block scripts and then they're looking at your site going "why is this loading so weird? why is the layout broken?"

Plus, your menus are simple text buttons but you used graphics instead of just plain text with a pre-loaded font. You do have text embedded underneath, which is good, but I have to wonder why bother with the images then when you're just going to have text under your text buttons? Double the work for half the payout.

I also wonder about the amount of contrast on the site. It's brown on brown on brown without a lot to control the flow of the eye. My eye is attracted to the side menu which doesn't seem to do much while the main meat is hidden under the top menu which isn't very eye-catching at all.

It's hard to critique the interior pages when there isn't a lot of content but I will note that your content blocks are all over the place. They shift left to right depending on the page you're on as if some of them are using a centered layout while others are aligned to the left.

Oh, and ditch the counter -- those stopped being a recommended site feature about 15 years ago.

;)
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

SkeletalSpade

Well thank-you @Darkmoon for the insight!

I followed some of your advice, first by shrinking down the side banners quite a bit, and adding another palette to the site! 0:  The OC who'll be doing the introduction will have a scheme that meshes the site colours together-  some turquoise clothes and what all.

As fer the site language itself and excess script; the entirety of it is being designed on a basic pick-and-paste builder, so the actual script is a big 'ol unknown to me.  I've made the banners flow with the site as much as I can, but thats gonna be a WIP yet.

The text on the side VS the text under the menu was to give it more of an adventurous feel-  take your time, look around, see what each page has to offer rather than flipping through menu bar links :U  (Thats just my personal preference tho-  im lookin for interpersonal style over speed)

The counters gonna b staying for a little while yet-  I might remove it, but I like seeing traffic flow;  a nice bit of motivation 0:

-

I'm getting happier with the layout tho!  More is being added in bits and pieces, so check up once in awhile if yall like! :B