Pathfindering- making my squirrel into a character

Started by James StarRunner, August 02, 2016, 12:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James StarRunner

So lately, I've been slowly chipping away at making James StarRunner into a Pathfinder character. It would very much be homebrew. I thought I may post the results later for anyone interested in putting the bounty hunter angel squirrel in their campaign. For the angel part, I used the half-celestial template. I also made a squirrel-kin race using the race creation tools.

One of the trickier things though is the unique items he uses. One thing he starts out with right off the bat is his iconic gloves which hide his angelic heritage. A magical item right off the bat. Typically, a first level character would not be able to afford it. However, the nature of the gloves mostly hinders. Here's what I have for it:

Grace's Gift
Slot: hands
Aura: none
CL: ?
Price: ?
Weight: -

These gloves only function on someone with the half-celestial template. When worn, the gloves revert the creature's type to the base creature (typically some form of humanoid). The wearer no longer counts as an outsider (native) for the purpose of spells and abilities. Even with divination, the wearer appears only as the base creature. The wearer's wings disappear and cannot be used unless the base creature had wings (they then use the base creature's fly speed and manueverability). Though magical, the gloves have no aura as to not give the wearer's identity away. The gloves can be removed freely and upon removal, the outsider (native) type comes back instantly as do the wings. Care must be taken though as wings may get trapped under typical clothing or armor.

In addition to the above, the wearer loses 2 points to their physical ability scores as long as the gloves are worn. These cannot be regained in any way while worn, even with wish or miracle. Removing the gloves instantly returns the ability scores to normal.

Construction requirements
Craft wonderous item, polymorph, non-detection, cost ?

The rules don't exactly have anything for making unique wonderous items and the rules for intentionally creating a 'cursed' item are pretty squishy.

Even with the drawbacks lowering the price (which still has to be worked out), it's still going to be expensive for a level one character. To balance it out, I'm thinking of reducing the starting wealth to 10 gold and/or pay for it by using up a trait slot. What do you Pathfinder veterans think?

justacritic

I'm not too much of a veteran of Pathfinder/D&D due to the sad fact I have no one to play with.

But I would appeal with Rule Zero(.5?) If the DM/Group agrees with it and its fun. Go with it.

That said, it's virtually impossible to have a magic item at level one without a trait or such (coughing) Dm Fiat (cough)

Darkmoon

>_>

Or you could play There's a Game in this Book. Not to shameless plug, but I will say that making a character the way you're looking at in that system (available now on Kickstarter) is pretty easy. Plus, really, it's just better than Pathfinder. ;)
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...