Is Richter really the worst person?

Started by Caulder, February 05, 2015, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caulder

I'm not sure if anyone has ever made a thread like this, but... here it goes.

After reading this comic, I started to think about all the characterizations here in CVRPG, and I came to a sudden realization; Richter isn't the worst person in the entire comic.

Here is my reasoning for that statement.

Throughout the comic we have seen the characterizations of all the heroes, from the best like Samus and Link, to the worst like Richter and Cornell. The thing about it is, throughout the comic I've noticed how Richter and Cornell talk to others, and found them more personable (if not more honest) than many of the others. When it comes to killing Dracula, they both have succeeded (although how Cornell did that without moving makes me question the validity of Dracula as a villain sometimes) the same number of times as other heroes like Alucard.

Unlike Cornell and Richter (in the comic at least) Alucard is more sly and manipulative than both of them, and I find that to be a major failing. Specifically, I've noticed that when they come across other heroes, Cornell and Richter have no problem talking to them, getting a feel for the world at large, and being social. Alucard (unless the person is female) will outright ignore the very same person without knowing their background. Kind of makes me enjoy reading about Richter and Cornell more after seeing that.

True, it's fun to see the various characters interacting in the comic, but what makes Alucard worse than either Richter or Cornell (at least in my own opinion) is that unlike those two, he tries to manipulate others rather than just being honest about his feelings. Richter being honest gets him slapped when he tells others what he wants, when Alucard manipulates others to get what he wants, he gets what he wants. That to me makes him a worse person than Richter.

As a half-vampire, and a hero, he should be held to a higher standard than Richter, and yet Alucard is on the same level as far as being a hero. If I were able to bar graph that, in order to show the level depreciation, I think the evidence would speak for itself.

Thoughts?

Sprocketsdance

Oh, I fully agree with everything you just said there.

For me... the main reason I like Richter so much (along with Cornell) is that you know exactly what you are getting with these guys. There really are no surprises.

Gabi

Hmm... Tough call. Alucard does nasty things to get what he wants, but what he wants isn't usually as bad as what Richter wants. Richter is generally more predictable, but he did take advantage of Maria while she was drunk (and yes, he was drunk too, but he always is, while for Maria this was an unusual moment of weakness), so... I'm not sure which one of them is worse.

By the way, if we're talking about bad heroes, I think Angel deserves to be considered as well.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly